Sign in to follow this  
Rustyboy

1.2 million = 2.4 million?

As far as I was aware the board said they would match £1 for £1 the shares kitty for Worthy which should be at least £2.4 million, or have I got this wrong?

Dont know, but I thought the board raised about half that money which means the 1.2m would be the total between the board and the fans.

this whole area seems to be a bit grey... is the 1.2 mill  the total budget ..is there more to be added to it ? 

I would hazzard a guess that the TV income was more than first accounted for and with the possibility of more games being covered, couldn''t or shouldn''t that be added to the transfer fund

this whole area seems to be a bit grey... is the 1.2 mill  the total budget ..is there more to be added to it ? 

I would hazzard a guess that the TV income was more than first accounted for and with the possibility of more games being covered, couldn''t or shouldn''t that be added to the transfer fund

no, it''s £1.2 total as a result of shareholders not effectively taking money out of the club by redeeming shares.

The official web site w/c 20-9-04 says that "in return the board has pledged that for every £1 saved by the club not having to redeem shares this year, £1 will be added to the managers budget"

As I see it it should be 2.4 million + any other budget they were going to give him. Could be wrong, would hate to think wool is being pulled over our eyes, perhaps the web team knows more?

Actually you could read "in return the board has pledged that for every £1 saved by the club not having to redeem shares this year, £1 will be added to the managers budget" another way.

For each pound that was saved by not having to pay out for redeemed shares, the money saved would go into the transfer budget. In other words, he has a transfer budget of "x" where x could be zero in January, which has now been boosted by £1.2m from the money saved from share redemptions. I think this explanation is more likely.

So assume that the transfer budget is £1.2m and if it''s higher than that be pleasantly surprised.

On the subject of money, I heard from a colleague today that a student in his numeracy class was paired up with a Man U fan and they were comparing the value of their respective teams'' squads.  The Man U fan said he thought their squad was worth about 20 million (so obviously inflation or the latest set of accounts, or knowledge of a certain Rooney has not reached the Norfolk-dwelling glory hunters yet, then), and the City fan said something like: "well, we aren''t worth quite that much yet but we are worth over 18 million, so there.  We''ll soon catch you lot up!"  Anyone out there like a game of ''think of a number, double it, add five million, double it again......''?

£18 miilion? That covers Helveg then!

Getting back to the figure Worthy has at his disposal for transfers, we''ll never know what it is because if we did that gives any selling club the advantage when it comes to us buying players.

Worthy: "Can we have Chris for £1.2m?"

O''Neill: "Ah, but a little bird tells me you have £2.4m..."