Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Foulger should NOT have to give £1m.

I say this as somebody that DID reclaim their rebate.

I noticed that many people are saying that Foulger should pay up £1m on the basis that he potentially could have done. I disagree with this, and I disagree with this for one reason and one reason only. That is that Foulger would not have expected any more than 50% to let the club keep it. Therefore in his mind he was probably expecting to give about 500k.As things stand, his 350k now means that we have only lost £300k from the rebate instead of £1m. 

If anything, it would be a nice gesture if he could give the 300k needed to make it up to £1m, however none of us have a right to say whether or not he should give extra money, just like others have not got the right to criticise me for taking my rebate. People like LQ (the worst spin merchant on here) are being very critical of people that did not give their rebate, but then criticise others for criticising Foulger.

It was a nice gesture from those that gave back their rebate, it was a nice gesture from Foulger to match it. As simple as. The people asking Foulger to give more money should perhaps consider whether or not Delia and MWJ are going to dig deep and give any money?

I didnt give my rebate mainly because I am both skint and wanted to send a message to the board. I respect those that didnt and I respect those that did. I respect Foulger for putting up some cash and sticking with his promise. Surely it is only now time for Delia and MWJ to do something that commands respect?

Disagree.  99% of season ticket holders are fans.  Foulger is a Director of the club, has a stack of shares and holdings in the company and should consider investing what he can afford if only to protect or enhance his investment, regardless of how it is spun or perceived.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Disagree.  99% of season ticket holders are fans.  Foulger is a Director of the club, has a stack of shares and holdings in the company and should consider investing what he can afford if only to protect or enhance his investment, regardless of how it is spun or perceived.
[/quote]

But football is NOT an investment it is a fans game, and he is a fan. He could never expect to make that £1m back.

People have been saying that Delias majority stake is worth only a couple of million, or saying that that she should give her shares away for nothing?

And you are saying that Foulger can make back £1m on his small stake? Pathetic.  He does not take a salary out of the club and has not taken any equity, if he was ''protecting his investment'' he would have taken more shares. His only form of income from the club is a paltry dividend, he isnt going to get any more dividends from this investment, and he certianly i never going to get an extra £1m from his small shareholding.

He has limited liability, it would be cheaper for him to not invest no matter what the circumstances. There is nobody willing to pay good money for his shares. He would get a much bigger return (a return) out of spending 350k on a couple of posh apartments and renting them out at a 6% annual yield.

Rubbish nonsense.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Disagree.  99% of season ticket holders are fans.  Foulger is a Director of the club, has a stack of shares and holdings in the company and should consider investing what he can afford if only to protect or enhance his investment, regardless of how it is spun or perceived.[/quote]

But football is NOT an investment it is a fans game, and he is a fan. He could never expect to make that £1m back.

People have been saying that Delias majority stake is worth only a couple of million, or saying that that she should give her shares away for nothing?

And you are saying that Foulger can make back £1m on his small stake? Pathetic.  He does not take a salary out of the club and has not taken any equity, if he was ''protecting his investment'' he would have taken more shares. His only form of income from the club is a paltry dividend, he isnt going to get any more dividends from this investment, and he certianly i never going to get an extra £1m from his small shareholding.

He has limited liability, it would be cheaper for him to not invest no matter what the circumstances. There is nobody willing to pay good money for his shares. He would get a much bigger return (a return) out of spending 350k on a couple of posh apartments and renting them out at a 6% annual yield.

Rubbish nonsense.

[/quote]I''m saying that Foulger has an obligation to invest in the club.  Fans do not.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Disagree.  99% of season ticket holders are fans.  Foulger is a Director of the club, has a stack of shares and holdings in the company and should consider investing what he can afford if only to protect or enhance his investment, regardless of how it is spun or perceived.
[/quote]

Rubbish nonsense.

[/quote]

Agreed - Foulger is a fan - the difference is, he has stumpted up £350,000 on this occassion for the kitty and those who criticise him have stumpted up nothing (on this occassion for the kitty.)

Hypocrisy doesn''t seem a strong enough word to cover it.

[quote user="ob1"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Disagree.  99% of season ticket holders are fans.  Foulger is a Director of the club, has a stack of shares and holdings in the company and should consider investing what he can afford if only to protect or enhance his investment, regardless of how it is spun or perceived.[/quote]

Rubbish nonsense.

[/quote]

Agreed - Foulger is a fan - the difference is, he has stumpted up £350,000 on this occassion for the kitty and those who criticise him have stumpted up nothing (on this occassion for the kitty.)

Hypocrisy doesn''t seem a strong enough word to cover it.[/quote]It''s hard trying to explain things to the brain dead, but I''ll try again.I am a fan. I am a season ticket holder.  I have paid full price for a season ticket for next season.Foulger is a member of the board of Directors and therefore has obligations to the club over and above being a fan.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ob1"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

Rubbish nonsense.

[/quote] Agreed - Foulger is a fan - the difference is, he has stumpted up £350,000 on this occassion for the kitty and those who criticise him have stumpted up nothing (on this occassion for the kitty.) Hypocrisy doesn''t seem a strong enough word to cover it.[/quote]

It''s hard trying to explain things to the brain dead, but I''ll try again.

I am a fan. I am a season ticket holder.  I have paid full price for a season ticket for next season.

Foulger is a member of the board of Directors and therefore has obligations to the club over and above being a fan.

[/quote]Fully agree Mr C.

I can see what you are saying, but we were all aware of the ''deal'' that was on offer as it was pretty clear.  As a supporter, rather than a director, Mr Foulger said he would match what was not sought for rebate by supporters.  Yes, as a director he has more obligations on him than us ''mere'' supporters, but one of them is not to donate £1m to the club for nothing.  I do now find it rather strange now that so many supporters who didn''t keep their side of the bargain on offer seem to be intent on spending Mr Foulger''s money for him.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ob1"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

Rubbish nonsense.

[/quote]

Hypocrisy doesn''t seem a strong enough word to cover it.[/quote]It''s hard trying to explain things to the brain dead, but I''ll try again.I am a fan. I am a season ticket holder.  I have paid full price for a season ticket for next season.Foulger is a member of the board of Directors and therefore has obligations to the club over and above being a fan.[/quote]

But we the fans "own" the club don''t we? Isn''t that what we always argue - it''s club etc etc, not Delia''s, not the directors, not Foulgers... so why do we not have the same obligations as other "owners" or fans, such as foulger?

If you''d put something in, you have grounds for criticism. You didn''t and you don''t.

If you''d put a penny in, you''d still be 350,000 times the level of commitment shown by Foulger.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

I can see what you are saying, but we were all aware of the ''deal'' that was on offer as it was pretty clear.  As a supporter, rather than a director, Mr Foulger said he would match what was not sought for rebate by supporters.  Yes, as a director he has more obligations on him than us ''mere'' supporters, but one of them is not to donate £1m to the club for nothing.  I do now find it rather strange now that so many supporters who didn''t keep their side of the bargain on offer seem to be intent on spending Mr Foulger''s money for him.

[/quote]I completely agree that he should NOT have to give £1m.  I just do not accept that he is merely a "fan" like us. He is on the board, he has a significant shareholding and therefore he has more skin in the game than someone who is "only" a season ticket holder.Comparing him to a "mere" fan is a very poor analogy.

[quote user="ob1"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="ob1"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

Rubbish nonsense.

[/quote]

Hypocrisy doesn''t seem a strong enough word to cover it.[/quote]It''s hard trying to explain things to the brain dead, but I''ll try again.I am a fan. I am a season ticket holder.  I have paid full price for a season ticket for next season.Foulger is a member of the board of Directors and therefore has obligations to the club over and above being a fan.[/quote]

But we the fans "own" the club don''t we? Isn''t that what we always argue - it''s club etc etc, not Delia''s, not the directors, not Foulgers... so why do we not have the same obligations as other "owners" or fans, such as foulger?

If you''d put something in, you have grounds for criticism. You didn''t and you don''t.

If you''d put a penny in, you''d still be 350,000 times the level of commitment shown by Foulger.[/quote]I''m not criticising Foulger. I feel he has responsibilities to the club as a board member which are far more significant than the responsibilities of the fans.It''s Delia & co who have said that the fans own the club. This is clearly nonsense and nothing but spin, and will remain so until they hand out share certificates to season ticket holders.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

Rubbish nonsense.

[/quote]

I''m saying that Foulger has an obligation to invest in the club.  Fans do not.

[/quote]

Foulger has absolutely no obligation to invest any money in the club, and he certainly has no obligation to give money to the club without equity!

You seem to know very little about business and the way it works. The football club is a plc, meaning that anybody can purchase shares from another shareholder or from the unissued shares held by the club.

Foulger has an obligation to perform legally and within the best interests of other shareholders, he has absolutely no obligation to invest any money other than the money used to purchase his shareholding (which can be from another shareholder, with the club seeing none of this money). 

If I sold you 4 of my shares for £100 tomorrow, you hold those four shares and the club does not get any money. What obligation do you have towards the club? None. As a plc, if the club was to go into administration or go bust, you as a shareholder would lose the £100 you spent on the shares. You would have no responsibility to pay any money towards the clubs debts.

Foulger is just a man that owns a lot of Norwich shares, who as a result has been offered a place on the board by the majority shareholders - who can vote him off of the board. I am a shareholder too. Foulgers only income from the club (non salaried) is from share dividends. He therefore gets exactly the same return on his investment as me.

So, are you saying that Foulger is obliged to invest his own money into the club because he owns shares? I own shares yet I am not obliged to pump my savings into the clubs coffers. I doubt that you are saying this.

Are you instead saying that Foulger is expected to invest money into the club because he is a member of the board? Somebody, just a man who owns shares, is willing to give his own time and efforts to the club for no remuneration other than dividends - thus getting the same annual yield on his investment, but with a hell of a lot of unpaid work? I dont do unpaid work for the club and I still get my dividend. Foulger could step down tomorrow and get exactly the same dividends without giving any of his personal time to the cause.

So, this man, who works for us for nothing, who is just a shareholder like me, is willing to pay money that he is not required to pay, to the club...... and you all have the check to say that he is ''protecting his investment''

Do you own any shares? Because I bought £1000 worth. I didnt give my rebate to the club. Do you think that by giving the club £250, would protect my investment of £1000? Lets do some simple maths.

I buy £1000 shares. They are now worth probably about £100. I have written off £900.

I buy £1000 shares, and give £300 to the club for no equity, my shares are still worth £100. I have written off £1100.

Explain to me how Foulger is protecting his investment? He is increasing his losses so that the likes of you and me can watch a half decent team of footballers at Carrow Road next year, he is a fan and is giving money away for nothing.

Foulger is a self made millionaire and very succesful local businessman. He could dedicate his time and money to something that would make him richer. Instead he is dedicating these two things to something that is only every going to make him poorer.

Some people just dont see a decent bloke when they see one and have to be cynical about good people who do good things.

Spot on, It has been a propagandist marketing exercise all along and the club through Mr Foulger got the success it required! 

OTBC 2010

Dedicated since 1969

R.I.P. Dad 1939-2008

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

Rubbish nonsense.

[/quote]

I''m saying that Foulger has an obligation to invest in the club.  Fans do not.

[/quote]

Foulger has absolutely no obligation to invest any money in the club, and he certainly has no obligation to give money to the club without equity!

You seem to know very little about business and the way it works. The football club is a plc, meaning that anybody can purchase shares from another shareholder or from the unissued shares held by the club.

Foulger has an obligation to perform legally and within the best interests of other shareholders, he has absolutely no obligation to invest any money other than the money used to purchase his shareholding (which can be from another shareholder, with the club seeing none of this money). 

If I sold you 4 of my shares for £100 tomorrow, you hold those four shares and the club does not get any money. What obligation do you have towards the club? None. As a plc, if the club was to go into administration or go bust, you as a shareholder would lose the £100 you spent on the shares. You would have no responsibility to pay any money towards the clubs debts.

Foulger is just a man that owns a lot of Norwich shares, who as a result has been offered a place on the board by the majority shareholders - who can vote him off of the board. I am a shareholder too. Foulgers only income from the club (non salaried) is from share dividends. He therefore gets exactly the same return on his investment as me.

So, are you saying that Foulger is obliged to invest his own money into the club because he owns shares? I own shares yet I am not obliged to pump my savings into the clubs coffers. I doubt that you are saying this.

Are you instead saying that Foulger is expected to invest money into the club because he is a member of the board? Somebody, just a man who owns shares, is willing to give his own time and efforts to the club for no remuneration other than dividends - thus getting the same annual yield on his investment, but with a hell of a lot of unpaid work? I dont do unpaid work for the club and I still get my dividend. Foulger could step down tomorrow and get exactly the same dividends without giving any of his personal time to the cause.

So, this man, who works for us for nothing, who is just a shareholder like me, is willing to pay money that he is not required to pay, to the club...... and you all have the check to say that he is ''protecting his investment''

Do you own any shares? Because I bought £1000 worth. I didnt give my rebate to the club. Do you think that by giving the club £250, would protect my investment of £1000? Lets do some simple maths.

I buy £1000 shares. They are now worth probably about £100. I have written off £900.

I buy £1000 shares, and give £300 to the club for no equity, my shares are still worth £100. I have written off £1200.

Explain to me how Foulger is protecting his investment? He is increasing his losses so that the likes of you and me can watch a half decent team of footballers at Carrow Road next year, he is a fan and is giving money away for nothing.

Foulger is a self made millionaire and very succesful local businessman. He could dedicate his time and money to something that would make him richer. Instead he is dedicating these two things to something that is only every going to make him poorer.

Some people just dont see a decent bloke when they see one and have to be cynical about good people who do good things.

[/quote]

He is protecting his investment because without a team we could be bound for League Two, whereby his stake in the club would be worth considerably less than it is now.

[quote user="astrodyne"]He is protecting his investment because without a team we could be bound for League Two, whereby his stake in the club would be worth considerably less than it is now.
[/quote]

The kind of cynicism I would be proud of........

My exact thoughts on this ridiculous charade currently being played out.

I say this as somebody that DID reclaim their rebate.

I noticed that many people are saying that Foulger should pay up £1m on the basis that he potentially could have done. I disagree with this, and I disagree with this for one reason and one reason only. That is that Foulger would not have expected any more than 50% to let the club keep it. Therefore in his mind he was probably expecting to give about 500k.As things stand, his 350k now means that we have only lost £300k from the rebate instead of £1m. 

If anything, it would be a nice gesture if he could give the 300k needed to make it up to £1m, however none of us have a right to say whether or not he should give extra money, just like others have not got the right to criticise me for taking my rebate. People like LQ (the worst spin merchant on here) are being very critical of people that did not give their rebate, but then criticise others for criticising Foulger.

It was a nice gesture from those that gave back their rebate, it was a nice gesture from Foulger to match it. As simple as. The people asking Foulger to give more money should perhaps consider whether or not Delia and MWJ are going to dig deep and give any money?

I didnt give my rebate mainly because I am both skint and wanted to send a message to the board. I respect those that didnt and I respect those that did. I respect Foulger for putting up some cash and sticking with his promise. Surely it is only now time for Delia and MWJ to do something that commands respect?

[/quote]Delia and MWJ''s have put in a lot more of their personal money than Foulger has, so I can''t see your point there

and surely if the club done well he would be would be on a nice earner of of it..

surely if the club was a premiership club it would be worth more money.

i some how feel this is small change when you look at the profits banham poulty have made this year .

85 million im sure was the figure.

this must be small change to this man .

Why should Mr Foulger give anything?..... Let him sit on the board (all the three of ''em) of  Directionless, for absolutely nothing. Enjoy sitting amongst all the Norfolk (and Suffolk based) elite and affluent on Match-days - and all the trappings that go with it.

Just let him be like a season-ticket holder - but with extra privilege.....

What actually, is the role of a Director?

No doubt this has been a big PR mistake. Despite actually being quite generous Foulger has made himself look tight or like he has an alterior motive in his offer. What Foulger should have said:

"We, the board, despite having done our very best have made errors in the running of the club. This has ended up in us getting relegated. But we are now extremely determined to get back to the Championship as soon as possible. The rebates that we offered to return to fans if relegated will cost the club a little over £1m. Now, to demonstrate how determined we are I am hereby donating £1m out of my own pocket to go towards the player budget for the coming season. £1m will help but £2m would be even better. So I ask you as season ticket holders to match my donation pound for pound and let the club keep the rebate money to be spent on Players by Brian in the coming weeks."

[quote user="CaptnCanary"]

No doubt this has been a big PR mistake. Despite actually being quite generous Foulger has made himself look tight or like he has an alterior motive in his offer. What Foulger should have said:

"We, the board, despite having done our very best have made errors in the running of the club. This has ended up in us getting relegated. But we are now extremely determined to get back to the Championship as soon as possible. The rebates that we offered to return to fans if relegated will cost the club a little over £1m. Now, to demonstrate how determined we are I am hereby donating £1m out of my own pocket to go towards the player budget for the coming season. £1m will help but £2m would be even better. So I ask you as season ticket holders to match my donation pound for pound and let the club keep the rebate money to be spent on Players by Brian in the coming weeks."

[/quote]

Trust me, your figures are way, way off![;)]

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

What actually, is the role of a Director?

[/quote]To make decisions in the running of the company o behalf of the shareholders.

"Football is a fans game" - When you consider how much players earn in comparison to how many fans are at the games and the money that creates, I''m really not sure that''s the case.  It''s a rich man''s game now.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]
Foulger is a member of the board of Directors and therefore has obligations to the club over and above being a fan.

[/quote]His only additional obligations are to make decision that he believes are in the best interest of the club (whether they are is a different debate).

He is effectively an employee of the sharesholders, of which he is one, and so am I.

As a director he has no obligation to contribute to the finances of the club.  In fact a director has an obligation the other way, to take money from the club (a salary), which he has chosen to forego.

So it is not that people on here are "brain dead" because they realise that he doesn''t have to plough money in to the club, it''s because they understand the role of a director.  So please check your facts before you make your uninformed criticisms of the other posters.  If you don''t want to take my word for it, check this out... http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1073870537 

[quote user="singing canary"]and surely if the club done well he would be would be on a nice earner of of it.. surely if the club was a premiership club it would be worth more money. i some how feel this is small change when you look at the profits banham poulty have made this year . 85 million im sure was the figure. this must be small change to this man .[/quote]

Firstly, how much someone earns doesn''t have to determine how much they should put in. 

Secondly, get your facts right.  £85m was the forecasted TURNOVER for NEXT YEAR that was quoted in the EDP.  That is very different from THIS YEAR''s PROFIT.  Last year''s turnover was £70.1m.  

According to Alert Research, the total directors salary was £0.8m.  If we assume that he has about 60% of that (the rest going to the other directors), after tax he would have received about £360k.  How many other people have given their annual salary from the full time job to the club?

[quote user="astrodyne"]He is protecting his investment because without a team we could be bound for League Two, whereby his stake in the club would be worth considerably less than it is now.
[/quote]

and without a generous 1 million pound donation we could also be in league 2 with his stake worth far less than it is now.....

now.. what sounds a more attractive proposition? Spending and trying does to me.

jas :)