Sign in to follow this  
George Smiley

Did any oldtimers go to this game , the 1974 league cup final? youtube clip

I was there. I remember the rush and the noise we produced from the save, only to be drowned out by the incredible wall of sound from the far end as the Villa fans celebrated the goal that most of us had missed celebrating the save.Saw the Spurs Final and that penalty and finally a win with a deflected shot in 85. Sunderland didn''t turn up.

Who was the fan killed on the way to the final in 85? Stuck his head out of the train window?

[quote user="renegadecanary"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1iGdYzcnuU     check on the time at  1 min 46 secs.  gutted!,  i fancy a cup run this year[/quote]

Old timers?...Cheeky sod.

1974 is hardly back in the lost eons of civilisation is it?....

Dear me.... bloody kids.

Some friends and i drove to London and parked at a tube station next to a car load of Villa fans who were drinking a flask of coffee and one of them was using an Aston Villa mug.I foolishly said "that will be the only cup you will get your hands on today".Guess who was waiting when we went back to the tube station?

[quote user="The Ghost of Percy Varco"]1974?!!! A year either side of this and perhaps I might have gone to Wembley.... Come on, it''s not that difficult to know the dates of our cup final appearances. Really....![/quote]

Yes, get a grip.............it''s not as though we''re one of the big boys who''re there almost every year.

To be fair we almost got there - losing the two-legged Semi-Final to Wolves - but it''s not quite the same is it ?

I recall lunch in Dirty Dicks at Liverpool St and upsetting a cabbie when we asked to be taken to Wembley. Dull match to say the least and we never looked like scoring. I was bottom right of the picture in the corner. First time I''ve seen Keelan''s save since then - the follow up seemed much more immediate at the time.

I was at Wembley that day,I was nearly 14 years old,went with my dad and two friends.Villa were the better side and deserved to win.I think you will find that the final was in March 1975.

Just remember not being old enough to go and listening to it on the radio whilst having a kick around on Thorpe Rec. Remember reading the programme my brother got and Brian Little''s haircut.

i ws there didnt we have jonny no show miller playing for us  what a weigh anchor remember coming off the coach park the villa fans looked so down  as  if they had lost keelan what a legend

Can''t remember quite how it happened but we got seats in with the Villa fans. I remember we were a bit rubbish and never looked like scoring. I also remember the floor in the gents toilets being submerged under about 6 inches of urine - wasn''t Wembley great!

john bond''s worst managerial decision ever for us was the team selection that day. He stuck with the main first teamers despite the fact that half the team were not even half fit. Machin could hardly walk. It says a lot for the team that we only lost to a penalty rebound. but i still wonder what would have happened if we had played 11 fit men.

I was dragged around the city by Mother whilst dad and Granddad went up. I was just nine then, in ''75. I remember the headline on the People next day, ''Aston Villa, Canary Killer''. Grrrrrrrrrrrr

[quote user="BA"]Who was the fan killed on the way to the final in 85? Stuck his head out of the train window?
[/quote]

a Myth... everyone seems to "know" who this chap was and can recount the story yet no one ever says they saw it happen....

It was never reported on Tv or in the press or radio at the time either..... was there a minutes silence at the next match?

it never happened.. its an urban myth concoted by someone on the day who had probably had a few.

jas :)

i really do wish that it had been an urban myth.

My wife and I were two carriages down from where the poor sod was more or less decapitated. He did indeed have his head out of the window and had his it struck (if memory serves me correctly, it may have been approaching a tunnel). We noticed the specks of blood on our window and the horrific state of the door and windows in his actual carriage can not be desribed on a sunday lunch time(we were warned not to look as we got off the train but you know what it is like!)

i am sure that if you research the papers at around the time, there is a full report of the incident. He was a young lad with a wife and child

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[quote user="BA"]Who was the fan killed on the way to the final in 85? Stuck his head out of the train window?
[/quote]

a Myth... everyone seems to "know" who this chap was and can recount the story yet no one ever says they saw it happen....

It was never reported on Tv or in the press or radio at the time either..... was there a minutes silence at the next match?

it never happened.. its an urban myth concoted by someone on the day who had probably had a few.

jas :)

[/quote]

Unfortunately it did happen jas.A friend of mine worked for the Transport Police at the time and told me the horrific event.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]It was reported on Anglia - saw it.

I can''t remember his name, but his nickname was ''bubbles'' as he used to play the cornet/trumpet and his cheeks would bubble out.

RIP Bubbles.

Why comment on something you know nothing about?I have a newspaper cutting here which gives his name.Says train was stopped at Finsbury Park where body was found to be decapitated - very tragic on what was a great day for NCFC.