Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Axe to Fall

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED25%20Jun%202009%2009%3A39%3A51%3A947

So its confirmed that there will be redundancies within Carrow Road.  This is unsurprising really, we have to cut our cloth accordingly.

But whilst I sympathise with those who will soon be out of work at probably the worst economic time to be so, I do appreciate our new Chief Exec''s words about ensuring that every penny possible is put into the playing budget.  Its the complete antithesis of Doomcaster''s prattling and shows that, for the first time in years, NCFC are going to concentrate on football! About bloody time too, I say...

Does anyone know of which departments will be axed or losing staff? Anyone on here going to be personally affected?

Or do we all just agree that its sad but necessary for the future of the club?

Agree with both sentiments Evil Monkey.I''m sorry but not surprised that there will be redundancies, this was inevitable and possibly overdue by a couple of seasons. The good news as you highlight is that we finally have a Chief Executive who understands that a business built around a football club relies primarily on the success of the football team for the success of the business as a whole. It''s not just a small bunch of ''extremist'' posters on the Pink ''Un then. [;)]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]

http://www.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/story.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PinkUnOnline&tCategory=Norwich&itemid=NOED25%20Jun%202009%2009%3A39%3A51%3A947

But whilst I sympathise with those who will soon be out of work at probably the worst economic time to be so, I do appreciate our new Chief Exec''s words about ensuring that every penny possible is put into the playing budget.  Its the complete antithesis of Doomcaster''s prattling and shows that, for the first time in years, NCFC are going to concentrate on football! About bloody time too, I say...

[/quote]

I would have thought the press office has to be one area......who in the national media  is going to be interested  in a Division 3 (old money) club?

[quote user="Buckethead"]Agree with both sentiments Evil Monkey.

I''m sorry but not surprised that there will be redundancies, this was inevitable and possibly overdue by a couple of seasons. The good news as you highlight is that we finally have a Chief Executive who understands that a business built around a football club relies primarily on the success of the football team for the success of the business as a whole. It''s not just a small bunch of ''extremist'' posters on the Pink ''Un then. [;)]
[/quote]

Lol! Good post BTW.

I like the CEO''s words that we have to concentrate on the on field activities. Its a breath of fresh air and exactly what many fans have been calling for for years. What annoys me though is that if the club are able to make a significant number of redundancies it just shows how much money has been wasted on unnecessary staff for so long. It shows how inefficiently the club has been run. And you should not need footballing knowledge to know that and make sure it doesnt happen. Please correct me if I''m wrong but a League 1 club does not need any less staff than a Championship club does it?

Does this mean we won''t be spending £800k on travel and accomodation costs this season? Thank goodness for that and whilst they''re at it run Yellows on a self-serve basis and get rid of all those press officers.

[quote user="crafty canary"]Does this mean we won''t be spending £800k on travel and accomodation costs this season? [/quote]Where did that come from Crafty?Maybe if people hadn''t taken the rebates..........:o)

Those nasty ST holders who took what they were legally entitled to for watching division 3 football [:''(][:''(]

Didn''t take long before we''d got the blame for people losing their jobs as well as not being able to now afford a team that was probably already budgeted for. [:O]

[quote user="crafty canary"]Does this mean we won''t be spending £800k on travel and accomodation costs this season? Thank goodness for that and whilst they''re at it run Yellows on a self-serve basis and get rid of all those press officers.[/quote]I see todays brief announcement buried as it was amongst the rebate news (good day for bad news anyone?) as possibly the single most heartening announcement to be made by the club in many years. We'';ve somebody in charge who wants to put football back at the top of the list and I''ve a feeling if he''s allowed to have his way we''ll be seeing far fewer of those pesky tangible fixed assets in the near future. I amongst others have suspicions about certain aspects of the clubs business appearing profitable in the accounts yet in reality subsidised by the on pitch activities. I shall be watching closely to see which areas of the club Mr. McNally turns to for redundancies.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="Buckethead"]It''s not just a small bunch of ''extremist'' posters on the Pink ''Un then. [;)][/quote]

Lol! Good post BTW.

[/quote]Cheers. There must be a few fellow members of the Guild who feel just as vindicated as I did on reading this article yourself included.

[quote user="Buckethead"] I amongst others have suspicions about certain aspects of the clubs business appearing profitable in the accounts yet in reality subsidised by the on pitch activities. [/quote]Example

IBA this came from Mr Doooooooooooomcaster''s fan-friendly version of the club''s accounts no less. Now don''t tell me old Doomy was lying!!

[quote user="crafty canary"]

IBA this came from Mr Doooooooooooomcaster''s fan-friendly version of the club''s accounts no less. Now don''t tell me old Doomy was lying!!

[/quote]Sorry...Doncaster said that ''the clubs business appearing profitable in the accounts yet in reality subsidised by the on pitch activities''??When, where? I''ll do the rest

It''s a shame because people are losing their jobs, but how many people in green jackets do you see on each door at Carrow Road?

About 3 on each door is pathetic! If there was ever any trouble they''d run a mile anyway!

We are seeing some good things being done this summer, but long may it continue!

I am not going to mention their names but two of my managers have been made redundant today. Both managers for the catering side of things. Great shame to see them go, especially one who hadn''t been there more than a year. But i guess it is reality that in this economics climate people are to lose their jobs.

|BA, i think you`ll find crafty was refering to your questioning of his £800k for travel and accomodation figure.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]I am not going to mention their names but two of my managers have been made redundant today. Both managers for the catering side of things. Great shame to see them go, especially one who hadn''t been there more than a year. But i guess it is reality that in this economics climate people are to lose their jobs.[/quote]Sorry to hear that Michael.Best of luck to them.

[quote user="iBA"][quote user="Buckethead"] I amongst others have suspicions about certain aspects of the clubs business appearing profitable in the accounts yet in reality subsidised by the on pitch activities. [/quote]Example

[/quote]What a daft question. I state I have suspicions, do you not think that if proof existed within the public domain we''d have brought it to your attention before now?  Guess we''ll have to sit back and wait to see what somebody who does have access to accurate figures decides are profitable ventures?

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]|BA, i think you`ll find crafty was refering to your questioning of his £800k for travel and accomodation figure.[/quote]Thanks Mr Carrow, my apologies to  yourself and CC

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="iBA"][quote user="Buckethead"] I amongst others have suspicions about certain aspects of the clubs business appearing profitable in the accounts yet in reality subsidised by the on pitch activities. [/quote]Example[/quote]What a daft question. I state I have suspicions, do you not think that if proof existed within the public domain we''d have brought it to your attention before now?  Guess we''ll have to sit back and wait to see what somebody who does have access to accurate figures decides are profitable ventures?[/quote]Not a daft question at all. Take the bucket off your head and read it again.I wasn''t asking for proof. I asked for an example of "certain aspects of the clubs business appearing profitable in the

accounts yet in reality subsidised by the on pitch activities."

It is a real shame for those losing their jobs, but fingers crossed if we have a succesful patch down the line they may even be called back in? I''m not exactly a business marvel so maybe that''s not even a possibility, but I guess it''s a start.However, purely from a fans point of view, it''s probably the right thing to do and already the new chief exec is showing more ambition and good thinking in a few days than the likes of Munby and Doncaster did in years. He''s a breath of fresh air and I think he could be the man who turns our fortunes around sooner or later.

|BA,

How about the beloved catering empire? By this I am not talking about traditional matchday catering (bars etc) where it is virtually impossible not to make money, but rather the restaurant and training courses side of the business. We have made a huge investment in catering equipment and I would guess that there are quite a few staff tied up with this. This is nothing but a hunch on my part, and given the lack of segmental reporting in the accounts, not able to be verified either way. Doomy would have us believe this was making money, but this is quite easy if you dont allocate any overheads to the division. As I said, no proof just intuition.

[quote user="BA"][quote user="Buckethead"] I amongst others have suspicions about certain aspects of the clubs business appearing profitable in the accounts yet in reality subsidised by the on pitch activities.

[/quote]

Example

[/quote]

''Catering''?

OTBC

[quote user="iBA"][quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="iBA"][quote user="Buckethead"] I amongst others have suspicions about certain aspects of the clubs business appearing profitable in the accounts yet in reality subsidised by the on pitch activities. [/quote]Example[/quote]What a daft question. I state I have suspicions, do you not think that if proof existed within the public domain we''d have brought it to your attention before now?  Guess we''ll have to sit back and wait to see what somebody who does have access to accurate figures decides are profitable ventures?[/quote]Not a daft question at all. Take the bucket off your head and read it again.I wasn''t asking for proof. I asked for an example of "certain aspects of the clubs business appearing profitable in the

accounts yet in reality subsidised by the on pitch activities."

[/quote]

Probably the best example is the Castle Mall shop. Do we really need to pay rent and rates and staff costs on two merchandise outlets within a ten minute walk of each other? Why don''t the club close the mall outlet and draw people to the stadium and sell them coffees and burgers whilst they''re there?

Now back in the real world, life, carbon was too expensiveNo one could afford to live, go out or travel and the world was too scaryFifteen

years ago the book "Snow Crash" predicted the underclass would have to

live out their lives, trapped in a tiny room with full head monitors onLeading a second life wired to a computer generated worldWe can make it safe out there in the meat-spaceNext stop paradise, it''s a brave new worldSaid the avatars of dredd, you''re as good as deadWith the needle in the red, with a bucket on your headIn their bucket homes with equal opportunityIt''s a wired thing, twenty million zombiesThey dream of dream estate in their utopian stateAnd all the hip were signed, hooked and now on-lineSo where is my friend, well, he''s at homeWith a bucket stuck on his headSo where is my friend, he''s all aloneWalking with the living deadAmazingly, the second life, the world started to mirror the old worldWhere the quality of life and social interactions were again dictated by your wealthOnly the rich could be fully rendered in 3D colour, get in the VIP areasThe poor people realised they existed only as black and white outlinesEveryone imagined no outline was normalSo when a 3D colour and the order is restored at lastIn an equal world even for young girlsVIP walk by and never questioned whySo where is my friend, well, he''s at homeWith a bucket stuck on his headSo where is my friend, well, he''s all aloneWalking with the living deadThe money wheel had turned and the harmony, peace and order was restored to the worldEverything is rendered, everything is programmed, everybody is happy in the perfect second lifeSafe and pixel-tight, right down to byteIn their prison cell with a silicone to hellOh, where is my friend, well, he''s at homeWith a bucket stuck on his headSo where is my friend, he''s all aloneWalking with the living deadIn reality the government had the whole population controlledTrapped in their rooms, fuelled on vitamin added up pizzasNot bothered by the real world eventsControl not by force of law but addiction to computer, silicon and the code that they wroteWhere is my friend, well, he''s not at homeWith a bucket stuck on his headSo where is my friend, he''s all aloneWalking with the living deadNow everyone stays in and the rich have all the spaceI still have hope that giant carbon feetGuess who''s in control with no place for your soulSomewhere in the trash will cause the snow to crashWhere is my friend, well, he''s not at homeWith bucket stuck on his headSo where is my friend, he''s all aloneWalking with the living deadAnd meanwhile the rich road about in horses and carriages through the empty streetsAnd the poor stayed in their towerpods in bucketworldSo where is my friend, well, he''s not at homeWith a bucket stuck on his headSo where is my friend, he''s all aloneWalking with the living deadThe whole population slipped a bucket on their headThere was no more revolution, they spent the day in bedAnd the whole population slipped a bucket on their headThere was no revolution, they spent the day in bedWelcome hyped or hoped or is this liberationControl or in control or isolationWelcome hyped or hoped or is this liberationControl or con control or isolationWhere is my friend, well, he''s not at homeWith a bucket stuck on his headSo where is my friend, he''s all aloneWalking with the living deadThe use of needles walking with the living deadPlays on the addiction analogy that the concept suggetsThat the normal world populationWill become hooked on living in cyber worldSo where is my friend, well, he''s at homeWith a bucket stuck on his headSo where is my friend, he''s all aloneWalking with the living deadHere they comeThe chorus use of my friend part personalises the songTo counteract the rather geekiness of the versesAnd to keep within the rock ''n'' roll areaAnd so it seems mind control is the new rock ''n'' rollAnd it''s happening now!Where is my friend, well, he''s at homeWith a bucket stuck on his headSo where is my friend, he''s all aloneWalking with the living deadWhere is my friend, well, he''s not at homeWith a bucket stuck on his headSo where is my friend, he''s all aloneWalking with the living dead

[quote user="Desert Fox"]

|BA,

How about the beloved catering empire? By this I am not talking about traditional matchday catering (bars etc) where it is virtually impossible not to make money, but rather the restaurant and training courses side of the business. We have made a huge investment in catering equipment and I would guess that there are quite a few staff tied up with this. This is nothing but a hunch on my part, and given the lack of segmental reporting in the accounts, not able to be verified either way. Doomy would have us believe this was making money, but this is quite easy if you dont allocate any overheads to the division. As I said, no proof just intuition.

[/quote]Exactly my point DF the accounts were always just a bit too vague to determine the overheads for any individual part of the businesses attached to the club.

So are you implying that the £750k profit attributed to the catering is false?Tried booking a table on match day?I suggest you contact Inland RevenueH.M.C&ECompanies HouseNorfolk policeI dare you... see who ends up being questioned..... Live in the real world and not Area 51 ville FFSSuch creative accounting would be illegal and relatively easily proved. The bill for the Audit was waht, £600k ? You think that included a bit of a massage fee? You need to try a bit harder, this isn''t fiddling the bowling club tombola money, its PLC audited accounts.Get realAnd to what end would these figures be massaged? To appease Smudger?Come on

|BA,

Quit the hysteria - you asked for a debate. I dont waste my time in silly posts.

There is absolutely nothing illegal in how the club chooses to present its management accounts. Statutory accounts do not require this level of reporting. As I have said this is an internal matter which will not be proven without inside information, but lets just say, I have complete mistrust in anything that came out of either Doomy''s mouth or his keyboard.

Buckethead has made another sensible suggestion about two club shops. Lets have a sensibel discussion about this?