Sign in to follow this  
dhickl

Rebate and Supporter's Trust

If there was to be a fan on teh baord i assume he''d have to sign confidentiality papers, this would mean anyone thinking they could/would be able to give a full blow by blow report on any/all meetings or decisions is would be sorely disappointed

This is why they should not be a member of the Trust, or NICSA or SCG, any affiliation really.  They should attend meetings of all groups that is praticle to garner an understanding of the mood of the majority of the  but he should not go to meetings with pre-set agenda which could hinder important & neccessary decision making on the basis it might upset the Trust (or whoever)

So add to your list independant & ability to keep mouth shut.

You know, the more Ithink about it, with sufficient lobbying and pressure from the various representative groups, there could even be a chance of getting someone like Dion (if interested of course) appointed as a non-executive Director. It really would be in everyone''s interests- a chance for DS to show she is listening, for McNally to demonstrate that things are changing and the new Directors (fingers crossed!) to have someone on hand who really understands the core business. It would also avoid many of the problems of one fan being selected- after all, I can''t think of many people who don''t respect DD and I can''t see him being a sycophant in the Boardroom.Yes, Gerry was an interesting character; I censored what he actually said, ''cos it certainly had the ''F'' word in it! To put it mildly, he didn''t suffer fools gladly. I remember one strategy meeting where he destroyed one of the Directors- just turned his back on him and talked to the Director''s Number 2 for the whole meeting...the Director lasted about 3 weeks after that!

[quote user="LQ"]You say that about Rioch but wasn''t Dave Stringer party to the much maligned managerial appointments that have left us where we are now?No, sorry. The game has changed and someone a bit closer to the action, for want of a better phrase, would suit me.

[/quote]LQ, I don''t disagree with that. I was using Rioch as a possibly outdated example rather than a suggestion. However I stick to my point that the choice would have to be strictly on merit as a director rather than on this absurd "legend" status on which some fans seem to place so much store.

So, it''s a matter of where we go to push the idea then?You never know, sometimes the best things come out of a bit of gentle hypothesising![;)]My favourite one was called Gerry too!

I don''t think we should be focusing soley on footballing legend as the representative, although having someone like Dion would be a welcome step in the right direction.

IMHO, the first requirement is for a person would have to be a financial Mr Fix-it, someone who could sanity check all the non footballing revenues and work out if they''re actually making a contribution to the bottom line. I''m always amused by the constant referencing to addtional revenue streams, which are absolutely important, but what''s the point of gaining an extra pound for the CLub, if it costs you £1.10 to earn it?

I would be interested to hear from more people as to whether or not they think this is a runner...in the longer term, it does not necessarily have to be in place of the ''fan''s Director'' although there have been some good posts on this thread which highlight the problems with this. Thinking ahead, it would be good if whoever was appointed as the ''footballing'' non exec. Director also had a special responsibility for liasing with supporters. The relationship with the Manager could potentially be interesting though and would have to be defined quite carefully. I don''t see the position as a Director of Football though because I am not convinced that joint accountability ever really works- that''s why I would keep the position as a Non Executive Director.I agree with the poster who said any potential appointment should be on merit not on ''Legend'' status but, without knowing him personally, DD always struck me as intelligent and articulate so would certainly at least be on my shortlist!

It''s on merit that I see DD too. I don''t really consider him to be an NCFC legend as such, a footballing great yes, but not a legend.Also, as I''ve said previously it''s splitting the criteria that gives us the option to look at someone of Dion''s ilk on the board. The ''fans representative'' could still be something to build towards. A step in the right direction indeed.GMF, I worry about income streams too. I noticed in the latest Corporate Canary brochure that we''re now selling mascot experiences for £195 (max of 10 per home fixture!). That''s something I don''t like. I fully understand the need to maximise income but the whole ethos behind getting and keeping kids interested could be undermined by this. A child used to send a postcard in and get their name picked out of the hat for mascotting duties (my daughter did this in our promotion season) and it was a brilliant experience for both of us. But paying for it? Who''s going to find £195 to let their kid do that in L1? Let alone 10 per home game! I thought only mercenary clubs like Chelsea under Bates charged for mascots? Sometimes NOT making money out of something is the best way. You can''t put a price on goodwill or on a fan for life.

I''m very much of the opinion that the supporter-director and the football-director would be different.The former would be there, theoretically or in practice, to represent the fans. The latter would provide football nous.But both would have to be selected purely on merit and be able to contribute constructively to boardroom discussions on the whole range of issues and not just their areas of expertise.

GMF. When I first thought about this I agreed with you about the financial scrutiny but, when you look at the implications, that role seems almost impossible for someone without a very large slice of equity or other investment.I am hoping that McNally, from everything he has said, is conducting a root and branch review of all the budget areas and concentrating resources on the football activity and that the much heralded new Directors will also have an eye to their (hopeful!) investment going into on field activities.If you accept the above hypotheses, then (in my opinion at least) what we as fans want is the assurance that there is someone at senior level who actually understands what goes on on the field and will question decisions which are illogical in footballing terms.it just seems to me there would be sense in pushing for this type of an appointment of someone who was knowledgeable about football, strong enough to wield influence and trusted by the fans.

And if D&M sold out to a Marcus Evans type who insisted on an 87.5% holdind and his own board..................

Lappin, in that case there''s nothing anybody can do except, I suppose, withdraw your custom from the club. In reality, the Board, currently, are appointed by the major shareholders so nobody else (except possibly the creditors!) can actually force them to do anything they don''t want to...

If that happens, Lappin, there''s nothing anyone else can achieve from any group other than to lie back and think of NCFC!

[quote user="GMF"]I don''t think we should be focusing soley on footballing legend as the representative, although having someone like Dion would be a welcome step in the right direction.

IMHO, the first requirement is for a person would have to be a financial Mr Fix-it, someone who could sanity check all the non footballing revenues and work out if they''re actually making a contribution to the bottom line. I''m always amused by the constant referencing to addtional revenue streams, which are absolutely important, but what''s the point of gaining an extra pound for the CLub, if it costs you £1.10 to earn it?[/quote]Isn''t that what the Turners were doing/did?