Sign in to follow this  
YELLOW BELLY

Green to Arsenal

Arsenal are willing to pay around £5million for Norwich City goalkeeper Robert Green in the New Year – and let him stay at Carrow Road for the rest of the season.

According to www.fansfc.com

I don''t want to see Green go as I think he will (and already has) earn''t us points with his good work in goal so far.  The above if true would allow us to spend some money on a good creative midfielder and a proven goal scorer which I believe we still need and have Greeno in goal the season.. what''d think ?

Not sure that teams can do this, didn''t Leeds and Spurs want to do this with Robinson towards the end of last year but the FA over-ruled the transfer and he had to wait till the end of the season?

not sure on this... that site has a reputation for making up porkie pies, and re-writing stuff for headlines.. I haven''t found a thing about anywhere else.....on more reputable sources...

the story is dated the 29th Sept and is a rehash of other news items.....

I have hardly any doubts that is where Greeno will end up, and I can see Bentley being part of the deal..well thats what my cousin says and he works in the London in the media

I''m sure Nigel Worthington will be looking for more than 5 million. Between 7-9 would be more realistic for an England International Squad man.

Worthy has already warned teams off saying they would need a big cheque book.

£5m would be a good price for Green, remember that since the Likes of Richard wright(£5m) and Chris Kirkland (£6m) moved, the transfer market has depressed.

Apart from silly money Chelsea players (Drogba) and freaks like Rooney, prices are generally down. 7-8 million would put Green up there with the Likes of Peter Chech, much as i love him, i don''t think he''s there quite yet.

quote: "...and freaks like Rooney..." how apt!

Still, I''d welcome a few "freaks" to emerge from Colney over the next few months/years of a similiar or better standard.  

In today''s market, I think between £4m-£5m would be about right for the potential that Greeno has got. Remember for all his potential, no suitor interested in Greeno is getting the end product, and there''s no telling how far the guy could go if his ability matches up to his potential. 

Interesting to note that Worthers seems to be the only one that calls Greeno "Greeny", surely he''s heard the chants...?!!? Makes me grin when I hear/read him called Englands No. 2 "Greeny", sounds a tad wrong somehow.

Could not agree more, £5m would be too much for our board to turn down.

You have to be commercially aware in these situations and I am sure Mr Doncaster will be (that is not a sarcastic comment by the way, as I have the utmost respect and admiration for all he has done for the club)

haven''t seen much of petr cech (is he crouchie''s croatian cousin?!) but certainly not enough to suggest he''s better than our greeno.

then again, he doesn''t have a great deal to do with the team he has in front of him

I think that it is almost certain that Greeno is going go at the end of the season. With the signings of Gallacher and Ward, two first team goalkeepers you have got to think that NW is thinking the same.

I really hope he doesn''t go but he''s only worth about 4-5million in todays transfer market. But it hardly seems worth it when almost all of are points this season have been down to him.

Also think that Worthy has realised that Greeno wont be around that long - otherwise no real reason to have 2 international goalkeepers in reserve. I personally think he will be worth a minimum 5mil plus a player swap which could be Bentley - those two things together would make it a good deal.

hhmmm. A tought one to call. I have also heard that Man U were in the hunt for him after Fergie fell out with Howard.

If I remember rightly it is no longer legal to sign a player and then loan him out straight away so that would be a no-no for the supposed deal. This law was passed in the summer after last season when Chelsea signed 20 players and loaned half of them out straight away.

I dont think that Green will go anywhere until the summer when he knows where we finish. If we stay in the Prem then I have a feeling he may hang on for at least another six months. You forget that he has always said that he is a Norwich man, he won''t abandon us halfway through a season, and he won''t leave unless the club is really desperate for the money.

I think that £5mil plus a player is good, but I think Green is worth nearer £6-7mill by himself. If you look at the money being thrown around at the moment, and not just by the "BIG TEAMS" you will see that teams are willing to fork out for good, solid players. Green is one.

However the money must be ploughed back into the team, we need more quality. All this hard graft is good but we seem to be lacking the killer balls and ideas from midfield. In other words we need a quality play-maker. For me Francis and Holt are too similar in that their focus is on ball winning and simple passing. Safri looks as though he could offer an alternative but I would also like to see Mulryne given a shot. We know he can pass and we know he can retain the ball which is another thing the midfield is struggling to do right now.

If we can keep posession a lot longer than we do we could really be a force. Its one of the main reasons why we keep drawing!