Sign in to follow this  
|BA

How long since anyone played 2-3-5 ?

1966? As soon as we cracked that the johnny foreigners changed it all

When I started playing competitive hockey, (1979/80 season), we all played 2-3-5. It was the only thing we knew.

[quote user="lappinitup"]West Ham were the first to experiment with an attacking 4-2-4 system. Think it was before ''66.[/quote]Isn''t that less attacking than 2-3-5??Wing halfs...... Inside Forwards..... LOL

would a team be succesful playing 2-3-5 today? its got to be worth doing it against some tin pot side in the cup hasn''t it? Man utd could do it against Billericay town.. play 5 strikers and just watch the goals fly in...

jas :)

Herbert Chapman introduced the "third back" for Arsenal in the 1930''s, which resulted in huge success until it was adopted by everyone else. They effectively went from a      2-3-5 to a 3-4-3 system. Part of the idea behind the change was the change of the off-side rule from needing three players behind the ball to two.

Before you ask no I wasn''t there but I do remember my Grandad telling me about it.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

When I started playing competitive hockey, (1979/80 season), we all played 2-3-5. It was the only thing we knew.

[/quote]

Interestingly enough after dropping that system for years; each English international team (men/women and various age groups) have all been made to revert back to that way of playing. Its a good system provided you have a good enough centre-half and left and right inners!! 

[quote user="BA"]1966? As soon as we cracked that the johnny foreigners changed it all

[/quote]

England won the World Cup in 1966 playing a 4-4-3 formation.

''Ramsay''s Wingless Wonders'' as the press termed them.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="BA"]1966? As soon as we cracked that the johnny foreigners changed it all[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]No wonder.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

would a team be succesful playing 2-3-5 today? its got to be worth doing it against some tin pot side in the cup hasn''t it? Man utd could do it against Billericay town.. play 5 strikers and just watch the goals fly in...

jas :)

[/quote]

sure could!!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[quote user="BA"]1966? As soon as we cracked that the johnny foreigners changed it all

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

So we won the world cup by playing 12 men?

[quote user="Lambo"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

So we won the world cup by playing 12 men?

[/quote]

4-3-3

Sorry!

[:$]

OTBC

The 2-3-5 was in active use until about 1937/38, both Italy and Austria were using it at the 1934 world cup.After this most teams had already changed to the W-M formation, and then in the early fifties we even started to see some 4-2-4 formations.Hope this helps.Indy.