Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Reporting in for Pre-Season Training this week...

No Smudger hasn''t been signed up, but it looks like things are getting that bad!

Simon Lappin plus Dario Dumic, Sam Habergham and David Stephens all awarded contracts.

Only 3 lower quality recruits brought in so far plus the 3 biggest names that were left at the club out of the door.

Looks like it is the July Jumble Sales yet again for us this year as we desperately try to find enough to knit a squad together that can just keep us in this league, let alone get us out of it (at the top end).

Oh dear, oh dear, how many out there still clinging on to the dream that Norwich can/will bounce back at the first attempt??? 

[quote user="Smudger"]

No Smudger hasn''t been signed up, but it looks like things are getting that bad!

Simon Lappin plus Dario Dumic, Sam Habergham and David Stephens all awarded contracts.

Only 3 lower quality recruits brought in so far plus the 3 biggest names that were left at the club out of the door.

Looks like it is the July Jumble Sales yet again for us this year as we desperately try to find enough to knit a squad together that can just keep us in this league, let alone get us out of it (at the top end).

Oh dear, oh dear, how many out there still clinging on to the dream that Norwich can/will bounce back at the first attempt??? 

[/quote]

The bookmakers think we''ll bounce back at the first attempt, but I don''t. On the other hand I think we''ll be too good to go down (famous last words!).

You are always showing negative vibes about anything Norwich do, so who could care about your decisions. If we signed Ronaldo you would be complaining. Simon Lappin has great vision and good passing attributes and even if he is slow these outdo that to make him a good solid player for us. Especially now we are in League one. Dumic, Habergham and Stephens have all been given contracts on merit of good performances. Habergham looks to be the best of the three with his England call ups and constant pickings throughout his youth career. Gunn has taken a different approach and decided to give the youth a good go and maybe we might find a hidden gem thats good enough for constant first team action(Haven''t had one since Shackell came to the scene).

Finally you then label our three new signings as ''lower quality recruits''. I just wonder how many minutes of football you have seen of these three players. More than likely not alot and i don''t expect many of us have, so why not give them a chance before you judge them as that. Now go across the road to Ipshite if you don''t see anything positive in our club. Negative twa*.

Maybe The Trust should put all the money they have raised thus far on us being relegated (or at least finishing below a certain point in the table) then Pablo?

Then if the worst should happen at least they would be able to attempt to buy the old trout out?  I am sure they would then realise what a strangle hold she has on this club?

Seeing as they appear to have so much trust in us all rallying behind the pathetic board of directors we have though we can only but dream.

Another novel idea... or better still why don''t they gamble the shares that they hold against Delia & Co clinching promotion for us this season?  She takes all of their shares if she does, she loses half of her shares to them if she doesn''t?  Sounds fair to me as they were so confident we would not be relegated and that they now appear to be pretty confident of bouncing straight back.

See Smudge this is where i disagree with you, for starters we''ve only lost Marshall and Croft, TWO players, who were very hot and cold anyway IMO.

The 3 new signings we simply cannot pass judgement on until they play for us, so judging them as being lower quality is unfair until they''re given a chance to prove themselves, Matt Gill comes to the club with nothing but good words about him from his prvious club, Nelson is a solid league 1 defender and Tudur Jones, while injury prone, is a highly respected former u21 international so i''m willing to give them that chance even if you''d only be happy with outbidding Real for Kaka and Ronaldo.

Simon Lappin was the only player we had with a half decent delivery on him and with the signings of big players such as Nelson, Tudur Jones and highly likely signing of Lee it makes sense to keep him.

Whats wrong with awarding our youth contracts exactly? If we''re not going to give them deals we might aswell scrap the academy alltogether.

We''ve just had a 700k boost to our transfer budget and are getting in players that actually want to play for the club and are willing to fight for wins rather than roll over limply against opponents.

Gunn is working to repair the damage from the past few seasons and is making a good, if unspectacular job of it thus far.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]

You are always showing negative vibes about anything Norwich do, so who could care about your decisions. If we signed Ronaldo you would be complaining. Simon Lappin has great vision and good passing attributes and even if he is slow these outdo that to make him a good solid player for us. Especially now we are in League one. Dumic, Habergham and Stephens have all been given contracts on merit of good performances. Habergham looks to be the best of the three with his England call ups and constant pickings throughout his youth career. Gunn has taken a different approach and decided to give the youth a good go and maybe we might find a hidden gem thats good enough for constant first team action(Haven''t had one since Shackell came to the scene).

Finally you then label our three new signings as ''lower quality recruits''. I just wonder how many minutes of football you have seen of these three players. More than likely not alot and i don''t expect many of us have, so why not give them a chance before you judge them as that. Now go across the road to Ipshite if you don''t see anything positive in our club. Negative twa*.

[/quote]

...or alternatively they have all been given contracts because we are skint and there is no transfer budget??? [:$]

LOL, we''ll see mate.

You could be right as you were with your predictions last summer, like i say though we''re getting in players that actually belong to us and promoting a few decent ones with potential from the academy, which is a drastic improvment on a bunch of loanee tossers who don''t give a crap when it comes to how we do on the pitch.

But like i say, the only way we''ll know who''s right is to wait and see how next season''s side performs.

PS - Good job???

Aren''t we reporting in for pre-season training this week Lambo?

Do you think our squad is taking shape?  Do you think that with an additional signing or two (the type of quality we have brought in so far) will be enough for us to push for promotion this year???

I would say that we are a very long way away from having a squad capable of challenging for 6th place even.

Correction, good job thus far ;].

Do i think out squad is taking shape? I think it''s been improved but it''s not there yet by any means. If as things stand as we don''t sell anymore players (not saying we won''t for the record) then we need a right sided midfielder, LB cover for Drury with his injury record and a Striker. Plus a Keeper.

Wade Small is an option for the RW spot, he IMO would be a very good addition and we''ve got young Korey Smith who would be able to fill in as back up to him. Hopefully as it''s only cover we''re looking for at LB Stephens might be able to do a job as back up there thus freeing up cash for areas that are slightly more important. Alan Lee looks like joining after Warnock''s comments today which is a massive boost, having someone like him who''s probably still capable of doing a decent job in the Championship will beifit us as will his passion and commitment. IMHO him and Cody Mac will be a tricky strike partnership for opposition defenses whilst we have Chris Martin and Jamie Cureton who''s proven at this level as back up to them. Colin Doyle on a season long loan would be ideal, it''d send a good message to the youngsters Rudd and Steer while having an established GK there also.

So if things turn out roughly how i''m expecting we should have:

GK - Doyle, Rudd & Steer

RB - Semmy & Spillane

CB - Doc, Stefanovic, Nelson and Spillane if needed

LB - Drury & Stephens

RM - Small & Smith

CM - Clingan, Gill, Tudur-Jones & Russell

LW - Hoolahan & Lappin

ST - Lee, Cody, Martin and Cureton

Thats a decent squad, but will it challenge for promotion?? I don''t know, there''s still too many ifs and buts for me to make a prediction at the moment but i think if all goes well then i think we''ll at least make the play offs, however if some players leave then i''l definatly be re-assesing my views, it would also depend how well the youth promoted to the senior squad adapts.

Drury will play a couple of games and miss 10 more unload his wages or we will need 3 left backs for cover

Lappin izi can be cover for left back if Drury is really fully fit finally so no big problem this position but mate forget to see here in August Hoolahan and especially Clingan

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Michael Bates"]

[/quote]

...or alternatively they have all been given contracts because we are skint and there is no transfer budget??? [:$]

[/quote]

or alternatively, they have shown potential, and could in the future develop in to decent players - like others from years gone by, Chris Sutton to name 1.

Good point forgot about Lappin could be a handy utility player at this level needs to play regularly imo

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Yawwwwnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!

Smudger.. just give it a rest . have you seen these guys play ? Man U haven''t signed a replacement for Ronaldo, why don''t you go on their sites and criticise them ?

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

Dullard!

[quote user="Smudger"] ...or alternatively they have all been given contracts because we are skint and there is no transfer budget[/quote]Yep. Last week campaigning for fans to withdraw their rebates and now whingeing because there''s no money.

Truly unbelievable smudger and yet totally expected. So predictable!

You can always tell when Smudger is bored at home... he starts a new thread really attacking Norwich so that he gets lots of responcesPretty much like a naughty little child attention seeking.Keep them coming smudge, people somehow still take you seriously.

[quote user="The Chirp"]You can always tell when Smudger is bored at home... he starts a new thread really attacking Norwich so that he gets lots of responces

Pretty much like a naughty little child attention seeking.

Keep them coming smudge, people somehow still take you seriously.
[/quote]

Because unlike you I know what I am talking about as history of my posts on here proves.

Like I said, lets see where we are in October.  [;)]

Smudge, I used to dismiss you for being overly negative, but I actually think we are going to struggle against relegation next season based on players we''ve got/signed at the minute!

I''m pretty sure the transfer window hasn''t even opened yet.but this is typical Smudger, he said we were going down for god knows how many seasons before we actually did, then stepped up and said "i told you so!" great, well done you, you got lucky... now looks like the same things going to happen in League 1 - we''re going down, we''re going down, look at me everyone i''m attention seeking again, we''re going down, i''m talking! we''re going down, me me me me me, we''re going down, etc. The guys a first class prat and doesnt even know anything about any of these players we''ve signed, the kids may not even get on the bench this season but they have pro deals and that gives them a chance to help out if need be, gives us some depth... hasn''t foulger said money is available from the first of July or something like that? haven''t really followed that story too closely, if thats the case then logically more signings are on the way anyway and Smudgers just shouting off another ''look at me'' thread. Last time i checked it was still June so Gunn doesn''t have that much to work with at the moment.Smudger do us all a favour and just press that ''sign out'' button and don''t press the ''sign in'' again unless the outside chance of us being relegated comes up - that way you can come back and do the whole ''told you so'' rubbish and we don''t have to put up with the frequent attention seeking.Besides, Wiz is optimistic and if thats happened we should all be optimistic as well.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="The Chirp"]You can always tell when Smudger is bored at home... he starts a new thread really attacking Norwich so that he gets lots of responcesPretty much like a naughty little child attention seeking.Keep them coming smudge, people somehow still take you seriously. [/quote]

Because unlike you I know what I am talking about as history of my posts on here proves.

Like I said, lets see where we are in October.  [;)]

[/quote]History of your posts on here proves you do a lot of talking, highlighting of other people''s posts and pigeonholing... But that''s about it. The fact you''re willing to judge how we will do by October pretty much shows you know very little about the game...  In fact when It comes to talking about football you are probably one of the least knowlegable people on here! - But alas what would I know? I''m just a happy clapper!

Wasn''t Sam Habergam one of the kids of Soccer AM''s Skill Skool? He had amazing skills, if he can transfer any of that to the pitch he''s got a chance of being a decent player.

Of course we don''t know what the squad will look like by the time the season kicks off but my biggest worry is the total lack of pace we have throughout the side (except Semmy).

Smudger is being negative but surely we all need a bit of a lift, so let''s hope there will be some encouraging news at board level and finance.

Hope is what all supporters thrive on. Something we haven''t had for a mighty long time!

[quote user="pieman"]Wasn''t Sam Habergam one of the kids of Soccer AM''s Skill Skool? He had amazing skills, if he can transfer any of that to the pitch he''s got a chance of being a decent player.[/quote]He''s got a rather useful long throw to go with our new big players everywhere thing!source FA youth cup semi final - our defense was the best bit of our team.

[quote user="Lambo"]

See Smudge this is where i disagree with you, for starters we''ve only lost Marshall and Croft, TWO players, who were very hot and cold anyway IMO.

The 3 new signings we simply cannot pass judgement on until they play for us, so judging them as being lower quality is unfair until they''re given a chance to prove themselves, Matt Gill comes to the club with nothing but good words about him from his prvious club, Nelson is a solid league 1 defender and Tudur Jones, while injury prone, is a highly respected former u21 international so i''m willing to give them that chance even if you''d only be happy with outbidding Real for Kaka and Ronaldo.

Simon Lappin was the only player we had with a half decent delivery on him and with the signings of big players such as Nelson, Tudur Jones and highly likely signing of Lee it makes sense to keep him.

Whats wrong with awarding our youth contracts exactly? If we''re not going to give them deals we might aswell scrap the academy alltogether.

We''ve just had a 700k boost to our transfer budget and are getting in players that actually want to play for the club and are willing to fight for wins rather than roll over limply against opponents.

Gunn is working to repair the damage from the past few seasons and is making a good, if unspectacular job of it thus far.

[/quote]Matthew Gill is poor. Time to realise. I have seen him play many times, and unless there has been some drastic improvement, I will not be changing my view anytime soon...

[quote user="pieman"]Wasn''t Sam Habergam one of the kids of Soccer AM''s Skill Skool? He had amazing skills, if he can transfer any of that to the pitch he''s got a chance of being a decent player.[/quote]

A bit like the Fozzy flick.

[quote user="Spineless Fooks"]Do you honestly think we''ll go down Smudger?????[/quote]

Have I said that?

I think we will struggle though.

As things stand I would say that we have little to no chance of making the top 6 and in my view that is simply not good enough.

As I have said it will become clear to all but the dimmest of fans how far short of a team that will challenge for promotion we are by October in my opinion.