Sign in to follow this  
Texas1

Johansson/Ashton

These are 2 players we have been linked heavily with over the summer, and now with January fast approaching and some decent money to spend who would people prefer if these 2 were our choice?The thought of Johansson completely underwhelms me, we need someone to score at least 15 goals a season and I would bet a lot of money on him not being able to do this for us - he never seems to score for Charlton and they provide much better service for strikers than we do. I really think JJ would be a waste of money in the prem, but would be a good squad player in the championship (if we go down!).On the other hand, Dean Ashton would definitely excite me, he is young, consistently scores goals in a struggling team (although at a lower level) and from his point of view, surely whatever happens to us, it would be a career progression for him. He could turn out to be a decent prem striker that could improve with time, and a relegation followed by a promotion chasing season would also do him no harm.Please Worthy give him a go!Texas1.

I have mulled over this long and hard and considered some of the other names (johansson, harewood, scumcroft...) and also came to the same conclusion.

He is the right kind of player, good in the air, holding up, finishing, putting himself about (Iwan style)...

He should have the sound grounding and football upbringing at Crewe, and so long as he has the right attitude (Leon-style) i think he could be well equipped for premiership football. It IS possible to make the step, even without the experience. Go and flash your cash Nige, get hime in the Yella n Green!

I would imagine that, although priority one is to keep us in the Prem if at all possible, Worthy will also have his pragmatist''s hat on when deciding what to do with any available funds in January.  He will already be thinking in terms of who will possibly go and who will stay if the worst case scenario happens.  Bearing this in mind I would have to go with Dean Ashton on this one as he is much more likely to stay and help us get straight back up should that become our task for next season, which I still remain optimistic that it won''t in any case.

please worthy

look at the other teams in the prem, (but not palace or wba) and realise we do not need to waste this precious million on a iwan replacement

we need to get back to playing passing football, not holding anything up (even the ball), not using a target man but learning to play through midfield (a creative midfielder please, before a striker), using all our forwards, and that means the wide men, to pass the ball amongst themselves (the pass and move that liverpool initially and now all the top teams, more so arsenal and newcastle) now use.  Please, please please mr worthington, never ever use the words holding the ball up again.  Please

get some new ball players in, forget target men, they are SO fizzy league!

Well said GTG! You are totally right in wanting to move the club forward by buying only modern strikers -Worthy take note - she talks great sense!OTBC

Zip...., isn''t that also what you have been arguing for. Don''t bring in a target man but bring in someone that offers so much more on the deck in terms of pace, control, vision and most importantly scoring.

Given that Middlesbrough blooded some youngsters against Man U why should we need a new man up front when there''s an England U-19 in the reserves just chomping at the bit to get in the first team.

BTW, what do people think the going rate for Ashton is? And what type of player is he?

Ashton is a talented youngster and has pretty much what we need - he is young, strong, very good in the air, two good feet and a fair bit of pace. He has also scored consistently well for Crewe for the last 3 seasons.My only concern is that we would only focus on his aerial ability - he is a better player than just a target man - rather than his all round potential.I am a bit surprised no prem club already has him - he is a far better all round player than Earnshaw for example. In view of this he could fetch up to £2m or more which may price him out of our reach. Anything up to £1.5m and I feel we should snap him up - but in the knowledge that he may not be any good for us this season.OTBC

I know this post is discussing Johnansson and Ashton but I have another idea.

Can teams in the Premiership loan players to each other? I think they can as we have David Bentley. If this is the case, does anyone think that Robbie Fowler can do anything for us on loan?

I am not particularly a fan of his but the guy is a confidence player, something he has lost at Man City. We all know he used to be able to score goals and maybe a fresh start at a family club where he would be welcomed might just give him a new lease of life. He is the sort of guy that could get us the 15 goals from January onwards.

He is clearly out of favour and I am only talking loan. That way we don''t blow our money.

Remember another player who was in a VERY similar situation and who came from Man City? Don''t you?

Canary boy, I have thought of fowler and with a bit of service he could do a good job but can we really give him that sort of service? As for Ashton, he does look good but so did earnshaw in div1 and he can''t get in west broms side recently. Although, he is far better than johannson- he would be a waste of money.What about the rumours of Peter Crouch? now he''s the sort of player we need

There are plusses to signing Fowler in January until the end of the season, but in my opinion, the negatives outweigh the plusses. For example:

- he isn''t simply suffering a blip in form, he appears to have forgotten how to score and exactly what set him apart from his peers when he was at Liverpool.

- he would probably cost a vast amount of money, even on a short term loan from January till the end of the season, I''d rather there was something to show for the outlay beyond the end of the season.

- his attitude and persona seems to be not what Worthington goes for, i.e. someone who will interact and gel with the present first team squad, just can''t see Fowler ''mucking in'' somehow.

How about Kitson at Reading.. he had a good first season and has started off the same this season.. Good on the ground Fast and can head a ball....

Crouchy was approached in the summer and depending on whether Beattie goes will be again in January