Sign in to follow this  
kc canary

owain tudur jones....pronounciation?

The boy''s name Owain \o-wain\ is a variant of Owen (Welsh, Greek), and the meaning of Owain is "well-born, noble".

The baby name Owain sounds like Owin, Ewan, Ewin, Iain, Iwan, Owynn and Wain. Other similar baby names are Dwain, Swain and Twain.

Owain is a very rare male first name and a very rare surname (source: 1990 U.S. Census). Displayed below is the baby name popularity trend for the boy''s name Owain. Compare Owain with related baby names.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

The boy''s name Owain \o-wain\ is a variant of Owen (Welsh, Greek), and the meaning of Owain is "well-born, noble".

The baby name Owain sounds like Owin, Ewan, Ewin, Iain, Iwan, Owynn and Wain. Other similar baby names are Dwain, Swain and Twain.

Owain is a very rare male first name and a very rare surname (source: 1990 U.S. Census). Displayed below is the baby name popularity trend for the boy''s name Owain. Compare Owain with related baby names.

[/quote]

Thanks...awesome..cudnt hav asked for more!

It''s from the same root as Gawain (as in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight - Arthurian legend and stuff) and is related to the name Bowen, which is nice...

Just make sure you pronounce Tudur as Tud-door as opposed to Tudor which is just plain wrong.Keep it earthy and you''re there with Celtic.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]I wasn''t 100% sure how it was pronounced, so thought i''d better get it right lol so it''s pronounced Owen.[/quote]

It`s pronounced Owain as in Oweain Glyndwr, you must have heard of him WAY, ta ta bach!

[quote user="kc canary"]

is this aimed at me? welsh is hardly the easiest language to get round..

[/quote]

My best friend of 10 years is Welsh, from the valleys and even she has problems with Welsh names, so you aren''t alone.

[quote user="kc canary"]Thanks...awesome..cudnt hav asked for more![/quote]If you can''t spell "couldn''t" or "have" You''ve got no chance with a Welsh name?[:$]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="kc canary"]Thanks...awesome..cudnt hav asked for more![/quote]If you can''t spell "couldn''t" or "have" You''ve got no chance with a Welsh name?[:$][/quote]

mmmm

Have just spoken to my Welsh friend, and she says it''s pronounced Owen (Eng), although to Welsh only speakers it''s pronounced O-wine, as with most things Welsh language wise, it''s never simple.

So I guess it depends if you are talking Welsh or English to how you pronounce it lol.

Owen for me. [:)]

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Have just spoken to my Welsh friend, and she says it''s pronounced Owen (Eng), although to Welsh only speakers it''s pronounced O-wine, as with most things Welsh language wise, it''s never simple.

So I guess it depends if you are talking Welsh or English to how you pronounce it lol.

[/quote]

OWINE for me!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

OWINE for me!

[/quote]WINO! [:D]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="thefutureisyellow"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

OWINE for me!

[/quote]WINO! [:D][/quote]

Brains for me

No doubt the imagination of our squad will run riot and he''ll just be Taffy on the pitch

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="thefutureisyellow"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]

OWINE for me!

[/quote]WINO! [:D][/quote]

Brains for me

[/quote]

Oh christ - you are welsh aren''t you???

Bane of my life!

You''ll be asking for ''alf an ''alf down Caroline Street next...

[quote user="iBA"]No doubt the imagination of our squad will run riot and he''ll just be Taffy on the pitch[/quote]Let''s hope the boy does good as the Tudur part of his name will not need any imagination invoked whatsoever if he''s crap.

God knows why but it got me thinking of Monty Python and the Holy Grail so I had a bit of a dig around and found out why.There was a knight of the round table who was Arthurs nephew by the name of Gawain. Nothing alike I know but still - could he be our new hero, a tall chivalrous welsh lad ready to seek the holy grail of prem football? Lets just hope he doesn''t train opposite Russell or he will need armour to make sure he stays intact for the start of the new season.

I went out for a night with a couple of friends and one got totally mashed, jumped up in the pub and for some reason shouted ''Wales is only good for prostitutes and rugby players''. At which point this huge gorilla of a man said ''My wife is Welsh''. To which my mate replied ''What position does she play?'' [:#]