Sign in to follow this  
The Butler

OT As it's a slow day

SOMETHING TO PONDER OVER

Common knowledge?

Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 600 employees and has the following employee statistics:

29 have been accused of spouse abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

9 have been accused of writing bad cheques

17 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71 cannot get a credit card

14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for shop-lifting

21 are currently defendants in lawsuits

84 have been arrested for drink driving in the last
 year

Which organisation is this?

It''s the 635 members of the House of Commons, the same
  group that cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us inline.

What a bunch of to**er''s we have running our country -
   it says it all. And just to top all that they probably have the best  ''corporate'' pension scheme in the country . 

sounds about right butler , nothing like practise what you preach .

this country is a shambles run by hypicrits who have no idea .

i wish i could be the modern guy falks and blow up the houses of parliment yet this time to a propper job!!!

I have always said that politicians are lieing thieving bastards and in the last few weeks I have been proven totally right in the last few weeks.

Jeremy Clarkson or Ian Hislop for primeminister. They would get things sorted out in there![;)]

There''s no better place than t''Interweb to spread a few urban myths is there?Source?And there''s a significant difference between being "accused" or even being arrested and being found guilty.

this country is in such a muddle with people losing thier houses  left right and centre .

makes you wonder if the fat cats had not been skimming goverment money and the funds used to help people who need ed it how much of a better state this country would be it .

its a digrace .and morals have gone out the window.

[quote user="singing canary"]

source ? its on the news every night  and in the press every day .

[/quote]

What''s on the news and in the press is a spin on the story to try and keep viewing and readership numbers as high as possible. Yes, most MPs have been greedy and foolish but the real story is much duller and more complex, but who can be arsed to spend time checking it out - let''s grab those pitchforks and light those torches, it''s far easier. They were allowed by the Thatcher government to claim mortgage expenses instead of hotel or rental costs, and then the regime was loosened considerably by the Blair government as an alternative to increasing MPs pay to a more realistic amount. Would you support a higher salary for MPs? If not, we''ll get what we pay for. I''m sure 90% of them could double their salary if they went into the "real" world.

It took less than a minute on Google to find the link I posted which lists all MPs who have acquired a criminal record over the last 30 years - 15 - and 11 of those appear to be a stand on principle that has led them to be convicted. How many of us would do the same?

As I said, another example of the Internet spreading b*llocks and people taking it as gospel because it matches their prejudices. [:(]

[quote user="singing canary"]

source ? its on the news every night  and in the press every day .

[/quote]

I haven''t heard that 84 MPs have been arrested for drink driving in the last year.  I''m sure we would have, if that was the case.  I think that this is a load of B*ll.  Anyone could have typed it and sent it around.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]http://www.parliament.uk/commons/lib/research/briefings/snpc-04594.pdf

????
[/quote]

All this says is that some people have been in prison.  1 from labour for not paying the community charge (as a protest) in 1991, and the others are all from Northern Ireland and they were imprisoned for 7 days in the 80s for participating in a protest.  That shows nothing to substantiate the OPs claims.

i do see your point  yet we all know most of them only have thier own interests at heart.

i do agree the figures may not be right but i bet if you knew some inside information regarding most of them they would hardly be squeeky clean by a long way .

i would not trust any of them as far as i could throw them to be honest

Don''t the figures look similar to this discredited email in 1999 from America...

http://66.165.133.65/politics/crime/congress.asp

"29 members of Congress have been accused of spouse abuse", "7 have been arrested for fraud"

All the same number as the original posters rubbish claims.

I can''t believe that people are stupid enough to believe this stuff, let alone pass it on to other people as ''facts''...

The problem with this stuff is that some mud always sticks, no matter how inaccurate the original statement. One of the Telegraph''s first stories was that Gordon Brown paid his brother 6 grand for cleaning - it turned out that this was completely documented and justified and they issued an apology, but who''s going to remember that?

The annoying things is that people aren''t prepared to think about the facts, let alone check any of them.  As soon as I saw that I took one fact and thought, is it realistic that 84 MPs have been arrested for drink driving and we haven''t heard about it on the news. 

If you look at the numbers and then check them, I''m sure you will find out they are all wrong.  The easiest one to check is the number of MPs.  According to http://www.parliament.uk/faq/members_faq_page2.cfm#mem1 there are 646 MPs.  If they can''t even get the number of MPs right, what chance is there that the rest is right. 

I think there are too many people that are either too lazy to think about something like that for 2 seconds, or do think about it and are too stupid to realise that it is a load of rubbish (See "Sounds about right..." post above!!!).

I trust the OP is going to apologise for wasting everyone''s time with this OT post and accept the figures are a myth?

C''mon Butler...be a man and admit you''ve been duped.

Thanks guys it has certainly proved a point!!

It was sent to me a couple of weeks ago by my brother-in-law with a "can you believe it" comment. Yes in the light of long experience I could believe it, didn''t bother to check it out as I was sure there would me a modicum of exageration!

It''s surprising how a few have leapt to the MP''s defence!

If it has wasted your time any more than the unfounded rumours that abound on this site from Chase to Delia to Gunn to new signings, then I unreservedly apologise.

If it has caused offence I also apologise for that.

If it has made you think then.................

[quote user="dhickl"]

Don''t the figures look similar to this discredited email in 1999 from America...

"29 members of Congress have been accused of spouse abuse", "7 have been arrested for fraud"

I can''t believe that people are stupid enough to believe this stuff, let alone pass it on to other people as ''facts''...[/quote]Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. The Butler exposed for telling lies to Norwich City fans.........

Shame on you Butler.............

What''s that you say..........

Sorry...........

Breaking news...............

The Butler unveiled as new director of Norwich City Football Club..............

Delia revealead that the Butler sailed through the boards criteria of being Norfolk born and able to convince the Pinkun message board for at least twenty minutes with far fetched stories. The resultant clamour for the electric chair or deportation to Ipswich convinced the other directors that Buttles would fit in perfectly. [:D]

Don''t worry about it - makes a change from rumour''s about loaning Rotherman''s groundsman or whatever the latest is! [:)]Mind you, I''m still waiting for Flash to start booing you.

[quote user="The Butler"]SOMETHING TO PONDER OVER

Common knowledge?

Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 600 employees and has the following employee statistics:

29 have been accused of spouse abuse

7 have been arrested for fraud

9 have been accused of writing bad cheques

17 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses

3 have done time for assault

71 cannot get a credit card

14 have been arrested on drug-related charges

8 have been arrested for shop-lifting

21 are currently defendants in lawsuits

84 have been arrested for drink driving in the last
 year

Which organisation is this?

It''s the 635 members of the House of Commons, the same
  group that cranks out hundreds of new laws each year designed to keep the rest of us inline.

What a bunch of to**er''s we have running our country -
   it says it all. And just to top all that they probably have the best  ''corporate'' pension scheme in the country . 
[/quote]

Email this to news24@bbc.co.uk.

You might get a mention.

[quote user="The Butler"]

It was sent to me a couple of weeks ago by my brother-in-law with a "can you believe it" comment. Yes in the light of long experience I could believe it, didn''t bother to check it out as I was sure there would me a modicum of exageration!

If it has wasted your time any more than the unfounded rumours that abound on this site from Chase to Delia to Gunn to new signings, then I unreservedly apologise.

If it has made you think that I should pay less attention to what LQ is doing to fulfill her domestic duties and a little more to cold, hard facts then...

[/quote]Hey, you said it![;)]

[quote user="LQ"][quote user="The Butler"]

If it has made you think that I should pay less attention to what LQ is doing to fulfill her domestic duties and a little more to cold, hard facts then...

[/quote]

Hey, you said it!

[;)]

[/quote]

And there was me thinking it was a no no on any site to alter someone elses posts!!

I have learnt a lot today.

Now go and cook the evening meal [;)] Me I''m having humble pie followed by cold turkey!

Sorry - I''ll never do it again but I just couldn''t resist that one!Enjoy your dinner. Me? I''m going out I think [:P]

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="dhickl"]

I can''t believe that people are stupid enough to believe this stuff, let alone pass it on to other people as ''facts''...[/quote]Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. The Butler exposed for telling lies to Norwich City fans.........

Shame on you Butler.............

What''s that you say..........

Sorry...........

Breaking news...............

The Butler unveiled as new director of Norwich City Football Club..............

Delia of Surrey revealead that the Butler sailed through the boards criteria of being Norfolk born and able to convince the Pinkun message board for at least twenty minutes with far fetched stories. The resultant clamour for the electric chair or deportation to Ipswich convinced the other directors that Buttles would fit in perfectly. [:D]

[/quote]

Just a little clarification, Lappy.

[:S]

OTBC