Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Would you have Ryan Bertrand for the season?

I was just wondering whether or not people would have Ryan Bertrand for another season? I think I would, was better than most of the loanees, didnt do himself too many favours with some of his performances last year but obviously a talented player.

He was wanted by Hull at one stage, but I cant see them wanting him now, and before we signed him he had been on loan at Oldham. Before that he had been at Bournemouth. Not sure if he would want to go back to league one now, but he is still only 19 (people forget how young he is, and could still become a top player).

Personally I would have him, but I suspect he is on a half decent wedge. Not really heard much about him on here recently, but we havent been linked with any other left backs and the only one that we have - although good - only manages 20 games a year these days.....

He has the added benefit of being able to play left midfield if needed, it looks like Lappin is on the phone to his agent, Eagle has gone, Pattison is rubbish on the left...... which leaves only Hoolohan (who hasnt pledged his loyalty publicly as of yet).

Personally I think its well worth a shot, what do you all think?

strangely I too was thinking of Bertrand today. he won''t get a look in at Chelsea (well he''s unlikely to I would guess) so a move away seems likely. I would think he might get a transfer out of Chelsea now... that or a loan with a view to a perm move... Would i like him back at Norwich? Yes most certainly, he''d find it pretty easy going in League One.

[quote user="The Chirp"]strangely I too was thinking of Bertrand today. he won''t get a look in at Chelsea (well he''s unlikely to I would guess) so a move away seems likely.

I would think he might get a transfer out of Chelsea now... that or a loan with a view to a perm move...

Would i like him back at Norwich? Yes most certainly, he''d find it pretty easy going in League One.
[/quote]

I suppose we would be priced out of a permanent, but maybe Chelsea will want to keep hold of him? He is still only 19, so still has time to become a Premiership quality player.

We wouldnt get him on a permanent, he would be looking at Championship for that, but he might consider us for a loan.......

Worth a phone call from Gunn at very least, although I suspect that Gunn would have checked it out.

I would think a bid would be made. He can''t be valued at more than £250 - 500K max and will certainly not be good enough for Chelsea. For us though he''d be an astute signing.  

[quote user="crafty canary"]I would think a bid would be made. He can''t be valued at more than £250 - 500K max and will certainly not be good enough for Chelsea. For us though he''d be an astute signing.  [/quote]

I doubt we would get him for that. He is a very good player for a 19 year old, and Hull were willing to pay £2m for him a year ago.

[quote user="city till i die"]

is he out of contract???

i sure i read on here that his contract ran out in the summer??

[/quote]

Im not sure, but its irrelevant if Chelsea offer him a deal because of his age.  Being out of contract would probably make us less likely to sign him to be honest, I cant see him coming to league one on a permanent personally, I would think that we are more likely to sign him on loan. He is good enough for a championship club.

Although I do agree that he is a good player, especially at LG1 level,  I personally, am in favor of as many permanent players as possible.

I think the way forward is to bring our own younger players through the ranks, get quality free agents or buy hungry younger players from the lower leagues.

I don''t know what the financial situation was with Ryan Bertrand''s loan but its fairly safe to assume his wages were/are pretty substantial being at Chelsea.

Maybe an amount that would pay for 2 quality free agents? Who knows?

Maybe I am alone in this but I feel we need an almost complete rebuilding of the playing staff of the last 2 years.

I think we need players who see Norwich as "their club" not a stepping stone to getting a few games so they can get a contract elsewhere.

I would prefer to see players who see us as a step up not a step down.

I personally want players like Cody McDonald who are excited about being given the chance.

Luxury player in league 1 on wages and loan fees we should not be paying. Far better spending any money on a young player we can keep and develope for the future. Apart from that he has got steadily worse over the last 2 seasons.

[quote user="jbghost"] he has got steadily worse over the last 2 seasons.[/quote]

He only signed for us the first time 18 months ago you muppet, and he was quality for the first half season loan. It was last season where he wasnt playing too well, but the same could be said for the whole squad.

[quote user="USAcanary"]

Although I do agree that he is a good player, especially at LG1 level,  I personally, am in favor of as many permanent players as possible.

I think the way forward is to bring our own younger players through the ranks, get quality free agents or buy hungry younger players from the lower leagues.

I don''t know what the financial situation was with Ryan Bertrand''s loan but its fairly safe to assume his wages were/are pretty substantial being at Chelsea.

Maybe I am alone in this but I feel we need an almost complete rebuilding of the playing staff of the last 2 years.

I think we need players who see Norwich as "their club" not a stepping stone to getting a few games so they can get a contract elsewhere.

I personally want players like Cody McDonald who are excited about being given the chance.

[/quote]

Thats all well and good, but you are being very hypothetical, where is the talented young left back in our under 19 team or what are the names of the left backs that you would target instead. Its ok saying that we should sign free agents, or talented young left backs from the lower leagues, or bring a left back from the under 19s, but who is this mysterious left back?

Unless you can suggest a talented young left back or a bosman transfer, then you are doing nothing more then preaching. You expect Gunn or Crook to pull a left back out of nowhere, but cant name one yourself.

So as of yet Bertrand remains the best option yes? I havent seen us linked to any left backs whatsoever, and yet there are clearly so many Free, Talented and Young left footed defenders in the ''lower leagues''.

So basically you are saying that we have to find a Free, Talented, Young left back from League Two or the Conference?

Good Luck!

I''d take him back in a shot. My daughter would too, but not for footballing reasons. [:D]

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="jbghost"] he has got steadily worse over the last 2 seasons.[/quote]

He only signed for us the first time 18 months ago you muppet, and he was quality for the first half season loan. It was last season where he wasnt playing too well, but the same could be said for the whole squad.

[/quote]

So he played well for the first half season but wasn''t playing well last season???

I make that 2 seasons he was with us and by your own words he was worse in the second season.

So who is the muppet?

Next time think before you post.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

Thats all well and good, but you are being very hypothetical, where is the talented young left back in our under 19 team or what are the names of the left backs that you would target instead. Its ok saying that we should sign free agents, or talented young left backs from the lower leagues, or bring a left back from the under 19s, but who is this mysterious left back?

Unless you can suggest a talented young left back or a bosman transfer, then you are doing nothing more then preaching. You expect Gunn or Crook to pull a left back out of nowhere, but cant name one yourself.

So as of yet Bertrand remains the best option yes? I havent seen us linked to any left backs whatsoever, and yet there are clearly so many Free, Talented and Young left footed defenders in the ''lower leagues''.

So basically you are saying that we have to find a Free, Talented, Young left back from League Two or the Conference?

Good Luck!

[/quote]

If we cannot afford him or he won''t drop down to the LG 1 level then the conversation is kind of mute.

I never said he wasn''t a good player or that we are likley to find a better player for no money.

Thats highly unlikley of course but........ that doesn''t mean there are not any decent LB''s out there who could do a decent job for us at the LG1 level.

Don''t we also have Adam Drury as a contracted player? 

I don''t know if we can afford to have 2 highly paid quality players at LB when we probably have other areas that are higher priority to fill.

Perhaps the only reason we can''t afford him is that we have given him experience of Championship football, given him exposure to other clubs, coached him for two seasons, improved him by giving him games and by so doing have increased his value. Oh ..... and we paid him so it cost Chelsea nowhere as much to keep him on there books as it would have done.

Personally I would like NO LOANS.

If clubs stopped loaning players what would the Premiership clubs do with their massive number of players they have on their books? That''s right, they would have to release or transfer them, then perhaps, as always used to happen before these damn loans became abused by the top clubs, clubs like Norwich would have the chance of picking up decent reserve players from top clubs for their teams. So the answer is NO.

[quote user="jbghost"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

So he played well for the first half season but wasn''t playing well last season???

I make that 2 seasons he was with us and by your own words he was worse in the second season.

So who is the muppet?

[/quote]

''Fraid not sunshine, have a word son. By your reckoning Peter Grant brought Bertrand in on loan! Roeder signed him. He certainly did not play two seasons for us. I think Roeder brought him in soon after arriving, on a months loan, then six monhs in January, then the ful season last season. Good old loan system eh.

I imagine the scene of Bertrand''s agent calling him something like this:

Agent: Hi, Ryan I''ve received an offer to go back to Norwich, what do you reckon?

Bertarnd: HA HA HA HA HA HA HA, nice one mate, very funny.

Agent: Well, you''ll be guaranteed first team football...

Bertrand: I''d rather go to Scunthorpe, or anywhere really, that club is a shambles. Ring Glenn and get me Lee Clarke on the phone, lots of mates at Huddersfield.

Why on earth would he want to come back? He would blatantly get on offer from a Championship team.

I''d Have Him Back. With Shackell Gone Aswell We Could Do With Him Returning. But Surely He Wouldn''t Return For A 3rd Year On Loan (I Doubt Norwich Will Sign Him)

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]Good point..... get Ryan back.

Bertrand''s first game, as I recall, was as a sub in the cup game at home to Bury, so that''s a season and a half.

For the sake of his career he needs to be playing at a higher level than League 1.

[quote][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

Good point..... get Ryan back.
[/quote]

I know its a good joke but seriously do you feel that Drury couldnt do a job for us in LG1?

I think he has proven to be pretty decent in the champs, even when played out of position.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="city till i die"]

is he out of contract???

i sure i read on here that his contract ran out in the summer??

[/quote]

Im not sure, but its irrelevant if Chelsea offer him a deal because of his age.  Being out of contract would probably make us less likely to sign him to be honest, I cant see him coming to league one on a permanent personally, I would think that we are more likely to sign him on loan. He is good enough for a championship club.

[/quote]This would depend though. There are a lot of players under 23 who qualify for the tribunal but don''t end up going through one. I think the purpose of this is to stop young players being swooped away from smaller clubs as Man U and other prem teams used to do an pay nothing in return.Essentially if the parent club didn''t want him and made no attempt to keep him then I am not sure the tribunal gets involved. If he was available like this then you would have to think that Norwich would have even less of a chance to sign him. I doubt we will see him return unfortunately. I would like it but I just dont see it happening right now.

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]Good point..... get Ryan back.[/quote]

I know its a good joke but seriously do you feel that Drury couldnt do a job for us in LG1?

I think he has proven to be pretty decent in the champs, even when played out of position.

[/quote]Dont remember him playing out of positionYes he''d be fine in league One. I really never saw what the fuss was with Drury, Barry Fry referred to him as the best LB outside the prem when we signed him and our fans seemed to buy in to it. Admittedly he was often made to look bad by the fact he had a one dimensional player in front of him but even so his timing was suspect and he was forever getting pulled into the centre when our right flank was attacked leaving SO much space in behind him. His crossing was also terrible (just who coaches crossing at Colney??), you need wing backs these days not full backsCertainly wouldn''t miss him - thought Eagle, having watched him play LB, was a better bet so shows what I know,

was played out position last season, at cb. as part of the ''who wants to partner doherty'' competition.dunno if he''s ever played left midfield, don''t recall it.

Would Ryan Bertrand have NCFC for yet another season???

We all know that beggars can''t be choosers.

[quote user="city till i die"]

anyway, wasnt he left out by gunn at charlton, and shackell played left back!!!

didnt he APPARENTLY have a fight in a pub,or something

[/quote]I heard this as well. If true then to hell with him. Obviously doesn''t give a rubbery t*ss about Norwich City.

[quote user="jbghost"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[/quote]

So who is the muppet?

[/quote]

I make it a season and a half.

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote][quote user="USAcanary"]

[/quote]

Good point..... get Ryan back.
[/quote]

[/quote]

I think that he could do a perfectly good job when he is fit. The question is who would do the job for the other 36 games of the season.