Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

Gunn Making All The Right Moves

Very impressed so far with Gunn''s moves. Two early signings, two permanent signings and not a hint of a loan deal, journeyman after last payday, european mercenary, prem youth player getting experience at our expense or someone after a shop window.Two young guys hungry to do well with the experience necessary for the position we find ourselves in, League 1. Two young guys ready to play for a big (ish) club and rise to a challenge. Two young guys that come highly recommended, from Martinez and double promotion Swansea, and Exeter, with Gill instrumental in their double promotion.Now is not the time for Omar Koroma''s, Elliot Omuzusi''s or Antione Sitonhisarski. Now is the time for players like Gill and Tudor Jones, players appropriate to our league position.Its gonna be horses for courses this season, especially with the lack funds, and so far Gunn is making all the right moves.

I second that.

More important is to try and get a team that is a consistent hard working team and not a loan club, as this was definitely our downfall last season!

Good post. Although there''s no saying whether these players will be a success, it''s fair to say they are going to come here and want to make an impression. Not like your Siberski''s who just want to come here and top up there pensions. On paper they look like the kind of players we need for this league. Let''s hope it works out for them, and us!

This is getting scary now  people are starting to sound positive!!  Oh, I really hope this feeling lasts.  I love a good promotion season it gets the whole city buzzing!!  Oops, see whats happend ? I am getting carried away now!!

Have to say I agree with the OP, but only time will tell how good they will actually be. However, things are looking good atm, certainly a lot better than the recent weeks in which nothing happened.

[quote user="sturgeon220"]
This is getting scary now  people are starting to sound positive!!  Oh, I really hope this feeling lasts.  I love a good promotion season it gets the whole city buzzing!!  Oops, see whats happend ? I am getting carried away now!!
[/quote]

I have been positive for a while, the intial disapointment of the appointment had to go for me, I am a positive bloke. I will stand by my prediction of immediate return to the Champ and if we continue to get players like we have, then I will continue to be positive.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"][quote user="First Wizard"]The proof will be in the pudding, or how the new guys play, but no complaints so far.[/quote][/quote]

It seems as if some sence of reality about where we really are now is begining to sink into posters on here, the inital anger I suppose can only last so long,  we are going to see League one football next season but to be honest most of the stuff  Norwich served up last year and  years before that was nothing better,all  I hope is that we are actually in for a season of fighting performances, something thats been absent from Carra for a long time. Hopefully Gunn is creating a squad that will give us something  to cheer for a change, we cant really expect much more the way things are.

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]Good post. Although there''s no saying whether these players will be a success, it''s fair to say they are going to come here and want to make an impression. Not like your Siberski''s who just want to come here and top up there pensions. On paper they look like the kind of players we need for this league. Let''s hope it works out for them, and us![/quote]

Agree 100% we seem to be signing permanent players with a lot of potential AND we are signing players with something to prove.

I think we also have to caustiously realize that not every player we bring in will work out for one reason or the other.

Its the same for any manager, even the very best get it wrong every now and again or it just doesnt work out for one reason or another.

Any manager who has 75% success rate in the transfer market is doing pretty well.

So far "Team Gunn" has made 3 permanent signings for a transfer fee total of 25K. So far it looks like he has been pretty shrewd with the finances. 

Having never seen these guys play i''m not going to start hanging up the bunting yet, although I must admit it looks promising.

I remember being excited when Grant signed Julian "Le Judge" Brellier and Dave Striker and we all know where that led us to.

I am also positive that we are moving in the right direction, but there is a long road ahead and no shortcuts.

Not sure that Gill is a young lad at 28 but then think we need a backbone of players in their late 20s to play our youth around.

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]Having never seen these guys play i''m not going to start hanging up the bunting yet, although I must admit it looks promising.

I remember being excited when Grant signed Julian "Le Judge" Brellier and Dave Striker and we all know where that led us to.[/quote]Agreed. Whilst feeling as if Gunn is doing well in the transfer market, the majority thought Grant was when he bought plays such as Brellier. So, too soon to say.

I have to give team Gunn credit for being pragmatic enough to understand we need our squad assembled as early as possible to maximise team building and training, a big failing in recent years IMO. We need to steal any advantage possible this year and assembling and traning with a settled squad even a week or two in advance of our competitors could turn out to be priceless.

[quote user="Karl Pilkington"]Having never seen these guys play i''m not going to start hanging up the bunting yet, although I must admit it looks promising.

I remember being excited when Grant signed Julian "Le Judge" Brellier and Dave Striker and we all know where that led us to.[/quote]Speaking of Strihavka, anyone think the guy never got a chance?He played about 5 mins, and didnt get a run at all. Which i think would be essential given he was new to english football?Whats he up to now anyone know?

very well put im fairly fed up with people giving gunn the thumbs down without giving the man a chance .

this team got relegated from a team built or torn apart from the previous managers who made very poor choice of players .

norwich city was a poor team that kicked the first ball of the season .

the players norwich have signed have been a good choice and will want to play for this club .

i am not counting my chickens but i feel slightly more optimistic yet i really hope im not wrong .

fingers crossed both will be good players for norwich

I seem to remember him returning to the Czech Republic to play for CSKA Moscow? Or maybe Lokomotiv Moscow, not sure...

...I do remember him scoring vs Spurs in the UEFA Cup though, from my knowledge he hasn''t moved clubs since.

I remember my girlfriend trying to show an interest with NCFC, so when Dave joined that was her "favourite player", to this day she still asks if Dave scored for us.

There''s a story about Big Dave Strihavka that I''ll tell you one day!On the Brellier thing, all I can say is that when someone posted that montage video of his on the offy site I cried. I think the phrase I used was "a red card waiting to happen". I was summarily told off! Sad day the one Grant fell for that.

[quote user="First Wizard"]The proof will be in the pudding, or how the new guys play, but no complaints so far.[/quote]LOL

[quote user="Mushroom"]I seem to remember him returning to the Czech Republic to play for CSKA Moscow? Or maybe Lokomotiv Moscow, not sure...

...[/quote]Thats quite a commute  :o)

[quote user="Mushroom"]Come on, LQ - you can''t leave us hanging with that, what''s the story?[/quote]Can''t tell you. That''d be taking the thread off topic![;)]

Can''t say I''m particularly impressed with any of these signings so far, if as expected we sign Nelson aswell, seems to me like Gunn''s assembling a team full of lower league sh!te,

This wasn''t the formula that either Leicester or Peterborough used to get out of this league last season.

first wizard ... i know we agree on some including "thoughts on delia "

yet are you showing a little confident in mr gunn ..??? maybe just a ickle bit ?

Got to give him credit for filling the right positions though. With everyone suspecting Clingan to leave us, we''ve got the necessary cover in the middle now. I think we need a right sided midfielder and a central defender at least still though and maybe a right back too depending if we think Otsemobor is good enough for league one.

one gained promotion twice , the other played for his country and highly thought of .

if we played championship football i would agree with you but we are not this is a different kettle of fish to what people think .

its a battle down there not silky skills its hard work the players we have brought in wont be  highly skilled players but will fight , i really am not  saying you thought are wrong  but this is going to be a spit and sawdust fight  trust me !!!

[quote user="LQ"][quote user="Mushroom"]Come on, LQ - you can''t leave us hanging with that, what''s the story?[/quote]

Can''t tell you. That''d be taking the thread off topic!

[;)]

[/quote]

Many years ago I used to know a tease named Lisa.