Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Slightly OT - The Prem Fixtures and the Missing Ingredient

Browsing the Prem fixtures for the coming season, it occurred to me that, in its current form, the list looked slightly odd.  Then I realised that it was because all the fixtures are still Saturday 3pm or Tuesday 7.45pm since Sky have yet to get their grubby hands on them.  Then I also realised how much better it seems before all the changes are made....It just seems right, doesn''t it, to have games played at 3pm on a Saturday.  Its how things were when I was growing up, and Sky just seems to have taken some of the magic away from the Premiership by shifting all the games around at will.  I know we''ll be getting plenty 3pm action again this season, but I kind of enjoy it that way - would I really want for us to be playing Hull at 12.45 on a Sunday?  Of course we all want Premiership football, but does it still give us that same magic and sparkle that we had ''back in the day''?Its a hard thing to quantify or put into words, since its just a feeling that something with the Premier League - the supposed best in the country/world - is missing.  In terms of the quality of player that the league attracts and the football on display, most of the time, the league is obviously the top tier for the country.  But is the best league in the country.....?

No.The Championship is the best league in the country.Quite simply the financial factor makes it the most competitive and that it''s hard to call who''s going up and who''s going down each season keeps it exciting right up to the play-offs. The fact that you can see players both of PL standard next to players from the bottom divisions keeps it more ''real'' imo. It''s also the league with the third highest attendance in Europe which means it''s not only me who thinks that way!Sooner we''re back there the better [Y]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Browsing the Prem fixtures for the coming season, it occurred to me that, in its current form, the list looked slightly odd.  Then I realised that it was because all the fixtures are still Saturday 3pm or Tuesday 7.45pm since Sky have yet to get their grubby hands on them.  Then I also realised how much better it seems before all the changes are made....

It just seems right, doesn''t it, to have games played at 3pm on a Saturday.  Its how things were when I was growing up, and Sky just seems to have taken some of the magic away from the Premiership by shifting all the games around at will.  I know we''ll be getting plenty 3pm action again this season, but I kind of enjoy it that way - would I really want for us to be playing Hull at 12.45 on a Sunday?  Of course we all want Premiership football, but does it still give us that same magic and sparkle that we had ''back in the day''?

Its a hard thing to quantify or put into words, since its just a feeling that something with the Premier League - the supposed best in the country/world - is missing. 

In terms of the quality of player that the league attracts and the football on display, most of the time, the league is obviously the top tier for the country. 

But is the best league in the country.....?
[/quote]

Firstly after European games the league games on the Saturday will get moved to a Sunday, then the police get to move about potential ''violent'' fixtures i.e. the Manchester derby etc, and the Sky can get their grubby hands on the fixtures (and then Setanta if they''re still in business [:)])...