Sign in to follow this  
GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary

Now the dust has settles..let's talk points

On paper the opening fixtures surely represent a huge chance to get off to a flyer don''t they??

A home match, followed by THREE games against newly promoted sides - two leagues lower than us last season, followed then by two sides who finished just above relegation last season in Hartlepool and Walsall, - before you get to the ''bigger clubs in MK Dons and Charlton.

Six fixtures there that we really should be picking all 18 points up from? (and possibly increasing that 10 point gap over Southampton).

Too many points less than this from these fixtures and Gunn should walk even before the end of August.

That sort of arrogance that we will just turn over everyone that we play next season is a recipe for disaster.  Yes, on paper we ought to be able to pick up points but to expect 6 wins out of 6?  These so called little teams are going to be bang up for a game with us and frankly unless we bring in some more new players our current crop are not exactly world beater material. 

Unfortunately I don''t see us doing a Leicester next season although I will be delighted to be proved wrong.  I think we will do well to be in the play off hunt at the business end of the season and along the way we are going to suffer some fairly ignominious defeats.

I don''t think it''s arrogant to expect to beat Colchester,Exeter,Wycombe,Brentford,Hartlepool and Walsall,

These should go down as wins at any stage of the season, there are ceratinly plenty of games that will come up this season where I wouldn''t be ''arrogant'' enough to suggest a win (Leeds,Charlton,Southampton), the fact that we have been handed a start like this against this set of teams gives us one hell of an opportunity.

hhmmm, I think I have to agree, these games aren''t games that we can get 3 points against all of them, at least one of them is going to get something against us, it''s their "cup final" as I keep reading!

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

I don''t think it''s arrogant to expect to beat Colchester,Exeter,Wycombe,Brentford,Hartlepool and Walsall,

These should go down as wins at any stage of the season,

[/quote]

On paper maybe you are right, but reality is very different. 

Presumably Bury in the FA Cup, or Port Vale/ MK Dons in the Carling over the last couple of seasons looked even stronger nailed on wins for a Championship team.  Let''s not forget a pre-season defeat to Exeter a couple of years back plus a draw at home to Colchester prior to our last glorious campaign.  Yep, nailed on wins one and all!

On paper the opening fixtures surely represent a huge chance to get off to a flyer don''t they??

A home match, followed by THREE games against newly promoted sides - two leagues lower than us last season, followed then by two sides who finished just above relegation last season in Hartlepool and Walsall, - before you get to the ''bigger clubs in MK Dons and Charlton.

Six fixtures there that we really should be picking all 18 points up from? (and possibly increasing that 10 point gap over Southampton).

Too many points less than this from these fixtures and Gunn should walk even before the end of August.

[/quote]

Given that there is an absence of the ''bigger'' clubs in the opening weeks, could Gunn afford a poor start (to go with the 5 defeats out 6 at the end of last season) against this set of teams??

the only problem is we cant go by last season its going to be a very different team norwich will field.

your right though we need to hit the ground running lets hope the players who kick off for us will be good enough .

Our cup run against lower league teams is usually pitiful, as is our away form, so I dont see how this is likely to improve?!

The opposition will take to us like a cup final, that doesnt bode well. We must make sure we realise we ARE in League One, and then just GET THE JOB DONE.

These should go down as wins at any stage of the season, there are ceratinly plenty of games that will come up this season where I wouldn''t be ''arrogant'' enough to suggest a win (Leeds,Charlton,Southampton), the fact that we have been handed a start like this against this set of teams gives us one hell of an opportunity.

[/quote]

Yes, but this is Norwich we''re talking about here.....

Expect about five points from the first six games then about seven from Leeds, Charlton and Southampton.

I would agree that we should take it as a great opportunity to go off with a flyer.

However I remember thinking the same when relegated from the PL, three home games in a row. I thought this is going to be 9/9 points (how naive)

I think we need to give a bit of respect, and not expect immediate result - need to adjust to a different game.

Also your comment about Gunn walking before August - total stupidity, he would not have had long (1) and he would just have finished putting together HIS team with transfer window closed.

Might need to think it through a bit more!!

[/quote]

I think you could be in for a bit of a shock to be honest. Quite a few teams playing against us are likely to be treating it a bit like a cup match. It''s not like we have some sort of divine right is it?

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

I would agree that we should take it as a great opportunity to go off with a flyer.

However I remember thinking the same when relegated from the PL, three home games in a row. I thought this is going to be 9/9 points (how naive)

I think we need to give a bit of respect, and not expect immediate result - need to adjust to a different game.

Also your comment about Gunn walking before August - total stupidity, he would not have had long (1) and he would just have finished putting together HIS team with transfer window closed.

Might need to think it through a bit more!!

[/quote]

Given that at least 75% of fans don''t want Gunn in charge, and given his distastrous final 6 games got us relegated, I don''t think it requires a lot of "thought" to summise that a poor start to the new season will have Gunn under a lot of pressure.

Gunn is untouchable this season. We have gone through too many managers in recent years and far too much severance pay. Whatever some of us think about his appointment there is absolutely no chance of him not seeing out the season.

And any suggestion that 75% of fans do not want Gunn as manager are way off.  You might be right about 75% not wanting him appointed but now he has the job I would suggest all but a few individuals want nothing but spectacular success for both Gunn and Norwich. (You cannot seperate one from another)

I want success for Norwich (and Gunn) but am realistic enough to know that under him we are unlikely to get it.

I bet Leeds wish that they had acted quicker last season in getting rid of McAllister before getting Grayson, that month or so where they left it for too long ultimately cost them promotion.

[quote user="Largey"]

Our cup run against lower league teams is usually pitiful, as is our away form, so I dont see how this is likely to improve?!

The opposition will take to us like a cup final, that doesnt bode well. We must make sure we realise we ARE in League One, and then just GET THE JOB DONE.

[/quote]

Well we shouldn''t have the old "going out in the cup to a lower league team" thing this year at least.  This year we ARE the lower league team!  Giant killing acts against Peterborough et al here we come!