Sign in to follow this  
DEB (never forgotten)

Terriers nab Simpson!!!!

Not fussed. There has never actually been any suggestion we want Simpson. he is only linked to us because Cov were trying to chuck him in as part of any Clingan deal.

if he is going to go which looks likely we need to get as much as we can .

im sure if fulham were that interested they will be back for him .

if he wants to go let him go lets put the money towards a forward who will score goals for us .

well said sc

less than 10 league goals for Coventry since signing in 2007, Cureton has more than that and signed for us in the same season. Not too fussed about this to be honest.

Fulham will probably offer more money if they are genuinely interested... and we all know we need as much as we can get, I''m confident better offers are round the corner

As much as I agree with the sentiment Lincs CR, Cureton''s job is to score to goals - the type of midfielder Clingan is means ten goals in a season isn''t a bad return.

And I''m sure Cureton has been with us two seasons as opposed to Clingan having just finished his first with us.

Simpson would''ve been a reasonable signing, but the figure Huddesfield are reported to be paying is vastly overpriced, IMO. I think for not much more we could get Alan Lee.

Losing out to Simpson is no great loss, hes a very mediocre player, and i think Dickinson or Lee would be much much better. As for Clingan, most of his goals were from penalties, plus i''d be happy with getting £1m+ towards the end of the season Clingan was crap. Although you have a go at Fotheringhm for passing sideways and backwards, thinking about it Clingan does the same pretty much, he just doesn''t give it away as much, what we need is a driving box to box player like Etuhu or Francis when they could be bothered.

[quote user="Lincs CR"]well said sc less than 10 league goals for Coventry since signing in 2007, Cureton has more than that and signed for us in the same season. Not too fussed about this to be honest. Fulham will probably offer more money if they are genuinely interested... and we all know we need as much as we can get, I''m confident better offers are round the corner[/quote]

Your argument here is seriously flawed. Robbie Simpson played the vast majority of his games for Coventry on the right wing, so shouldnt you be comparing his goal scoring record with Lee Croft?

As it happens, his record is slightly better than Crofts, and I bet the fella can cross the ball a little better too.

My mate who chooses to wear pale blue (the one who told me about the potential Clingan/£1million/Simpson thing last week that I tried to leave you clues about) says everyone there is stunned that Huddersfield actually offered them money! Don''t get me wrong, I think he could have been a good squad member for us and was there in the first place so that the £1million didn''t look so derisory for Clingan - but really, Coventry are STUNNED to have got that money.[8-)]

[quote]Coventry are STUNNED to have got that money.[/quote]They are probably stunned that anyone in league 1 can afford to offer a fee for any player at the moment.  How far are we away from an entire league of teams all agreeing to take the -10 points hit before the start of a season I wonder ?

[quote user="Big Bob"]Losing out to Simpson is no great loss, hes a very mediocre player, and i think Dickinson or Lee would be much much better. As for Clingan, most of his goals were from penalties, plus i''d be happy with getting £1m+ towards the end of the season Clingan was crap. Although you have a go at Fotheringhm for passing sideways and backwards, thinking about it Clingan does the same pretty much, he just doesn''t give it away as much, what we need is a driving box to box player like Etuhu or Francis when they could be bothered.[/quote]

I think we have been watching a different player mate, Clingan is the pretty short white fella with very short hair. I think you may be talking about Daryl Russell the mixed race fella who stood around doing nothing all game.

Seriously though, if you think that Clingan is anything like Fotheringham then you need your eyes tested, they are miles away in almost every aspect of their game, and miles apart in terms of their ability and performances too.

If you look at the way that we tried to play last year, Clingan was the holding midfielder who is expected to dictate tempo with the ball and stay deep - and he did this perfectly, Russell was supposed to be the box to box player who should have been behind the ball when not in possession and on the ball when we were. He failed miserably.

I am open minded to the possibility that you are upset about Clingan leaving and therefore trying to convince yourself that he isnt very good, otherwise you dont know what your talking about. I guess that may be the reason that Croft won player of the season then, as people didnt understand the role expected of Clingan last year.

For me Clingan was the only player to perform his purpose consistantly to a high standard last year. If others had, such as Russell, Hoolohan, Cureton and Otsemober/Omnuszi then we wouldnt be in league one.

As for box to box player, we have one, his name is Matty Gill........ midfield general and 9 goals to his name last year.

[quote user="LQ"]My mate who chooses to wear pale blue (the one who told me about the potential Clingan/£1million/Simpson thing last week that I tried to leave you clues about) says everyone there is stunned that Huddersfield actually offered them money! Don''t get me wrong, I think he could have been a good squad member for us and was there in the first place so that the £1million didn''t look so derisory for Clingan - but really, Coventry are STUNNED to have got that money.

[8-)]

[/quote]

Well if they really were offering £1m + Simpson, then I expect that Clingan will be going to Coventry for £1.5m then?

If he now goes for £1m and no player, then it is clear that you/your ''mate'' are talking crap. Those on the Coventry forum seemed to think that Simpson was worth £500k anyway, so your ''mate'' or you clearly doesnt know what they are talking about.

If Clingan goes for any less than £1.25m now then I will consider your rumour to be complete fabrication to be honest.

Think what you like Ryan/Juan/whatever your name is.Funny though how the day after I mooted this ''crap'' as you so kindly put it on here there was a story to the same effect in the EDP though eh?[url]http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/sport/football/norwich-city/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=SportNorwich&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=xDefault&itemid=NOED11%20Jun%202009%2017%3A17%3A52%3A250[/url]

Oh, and about this little nugget: Those on the Coventry forum seemed to think that Simpson was worth

£500k anyway, so your ''mate'' or you clearly doesnt know what they are

talking about.
I obviously forgot that posters on forums are always right!

[quote user="LQ"]

[/quote]

If it''s written on the interweb then it is FACT!!11!!!onehundredandeleven!!!11!!1

[;)]

Simpson is rubbish and Lee is probably worse still.

We should use every single penny that we get for Clingan by testing the water with a bid for Rickie Lambert starting at £1 million.

Other clubs may come in for him and outbid us but I don''t think any offers have been put on the table for him just yet.

I wonder how much Bristol Rovers could turn down for him if a £1 million plus bid was put in?

[quote user="Smudger"]

We should use every single penny that we get for Clingan by testing the water with a bid for Rickie Lambert starting at £1 million.

Other clubs may come in for him and outbid us but I don''t think any offers have been put on the table for him just yet.

I wonder how much Bristol Rovers could turn down for him if a £1 million plus bid was put in?

[/quote]It looks their nerve is going to be tested by Peterborough - a 1.5 million bid apparently.  Could just be paper talk.  Shame that the only bloke who will openly admit to having an inside track on this kind of thing is banned, really.

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

It looks their nerve is going to be tested by Peterborough - a 1.5 million bid apparently.  Could just be paper talk.  Shame that the only bloke who will openly admit to having an inside track on this kind of thing is banned, really.
[/quote]

If that is true then it shows the mighty Peterborough United''s ambition as opposed to ours.

[quote user="lappinitup"]Do you really think we can afford £1m for one player smudger?[/quote]

No I don''t Lapp, but if Delia & Co expect to ever bounce back instead of being hounded out of the City as things get progressively worse then they should be finding the kind of money to bring in the kind of undoubted quality that Lambert has.

Signing one quality player like that would of brought the fans onside. 

It would of shown guts, it would of sent a message out to the rest of this league that Norwich mean business.

It would of encouraged other transfer targets to sign for us as Norwich meant business.

I would of spent all of the Marshall money, plus what Foulger has promised on trying to do something like this. 

I would then of spent every penny from the future Clingan deal on a few cheaper players and/or free transfers, plus maybe a loan or two while focusing on bringing a few of our youth products in to the fold.

We of course don''t do big gestures.

We are going about things in the same old way and will end up with the same old results.

[quote user="LQ"]Oh, and about this little nugget: Those on the Coventry forum seemed to think that Simpson was worth

£500k anyway, so your ''mate'' or you clearly doesnt know what they are

talking about.

[/quote]I believe several posters more than I believe one person''s opinion.