Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Why arent we BUYING Doyle?

Just a thought, but Colin Doyle has only played 24 games for Birmingham in 6 years.

Other than that he has spent time in League One on loan at Millwall and Notts Forest.......

After getting 500k for David Marshall, shouldnt we be looking to sign somebody like Doyle on a permanent?

Shouldn''t we go with Rudd and just get backup? I would be happy with loan backup personally so we can spend it elsewhere.

I don''t want to see all our goalkeeping talent leave because we wern''t brave enough to put them in (eg like Lewis)

[quote user="Downloads"]

Shouldn''t we go with Rudd and just get backup? I would be happy with loan backup personally so we can spend it elsewhere.

I don''t want to see all our goalkeeping talent leave because we wern''t brave enough to put them in (eg like Lewis)

[/quote]

I agree.  I really hope we give one of the youngsters a go this year.  If they''re good enough they''re old enough!

...because a young keeper like Rudd will inevitably make mistakes and have off days (Lewis for all the hype still does from the Posh games I have seen) in which case it is vital to have some experience to step up to cover but if we can get that for a while on loan it seems to make sense to do so.  If he settles and does well enough to keep the loanee out we have not lost much, if we need to call on Doyle then we have experience to go to.  Simples.

Gunn has first hand experience of what happens when you chuck in a good but untested keeper into a team (relegation with Andy Marshall)

It''s sensible give Rudd a chance but know you''ve got experienced cover if required, but don''t sign someone on a 2/3 year deal to block the path of a decent youngster (as Grant did ahead of Lewis)

[quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]

nope!!

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Birmingham actually rate Doyle quite highly and won''t be prepared to sell, also i doubt a keeper of his ability would want to sign permanently for a league 1 side[/quote]

Spot on, Highly Rated Player, your best hope is if Blues stay up they may prepare to sell

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]...because a young keeper like Rudd will inevitably make mistakes and have off days (Lewis for all the hype still does from the Posh games I have seen) in which case it is vital to have some experience to step up to cover but if we can get that for a while on loan it seems to make sense to do so.  If he settles and does well enough to keep the loanee out we have not lost much, if we need to call on Doyle then we have experience to go to.  Simples.[/quote]

Quoted for truth.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Birmingham actually rate Doyle quite highly and won''t be prepared to sell, also i doubt a keeper of his ability would want to sign permanently for a league 1 side[/quote]

[Y]

Not to mention that Birmingham are about to place their faith in loaning Joe Hart.

a quote from a Brummy friend of mine:

"We all thought he was off to Swansea on loan; but if he was to come to you that would alright, maybe a division below his ability. He needs first team action badly; I suspect it would only be a loan cos we''re only loaning Joe Hart.."

doyle is a decent keeper but if norwich want to move forward with Rudd they have two options. 1, sign a keeper like Andy Marshall (like him or hate him, he is a decent keeper with plenty of exp) and let him share the number 1 shirt with Rudd...thus helping to bring Rudd through over time. 2, Let Rudd out on loan to a league two team as their number one, keep Nelson on a year deal and bring in Doyle as the number one. IF Doyle comes there is no way he''ll play second fiddle to Rudd. It will pprobably be in the lloan agreement that he is the numbewr one or has to play a certain percentage of games that he is available to play in. Before his really bad time in the prem, Doyle was seen as an excellent prospect and probably the best keeper in the championship... We couldn''t afford to take him and i would imagine his wages would be the same if not more than david marshalls.

[quote user="The Chirp"]
Before his really bad time in the prem, Doyle was seen as an excellent prospect and probably the best keeper in the championship... [/quote]

If he has only played 24 games in 6 years, in both the prem and championship, then how the hell could he ever have been rated the best goalkeeper in the championship?

Best goalkeeper in the championship on football manager more like, 4 games a season doesnt give somebody such a reputation, and he was clearly seen as the 2nd best goalkeeper at Reading for a start.

This is my nomination for stupid comment of the week.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Downloads"]

[/quote]

nope!!

[/quote]

I''m blinded by your full and informative response. I guess i stand corrected [^o)]

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="The Chirp"]Before his really bad time in the prem, Doyle was seen as an excellent prospect and probably the best keeper in the championship... [/quote]

If he has only played 24 games in 6 years, in both the prem and championship, then how the hell could he ever have been rated the best goalkeeper in the championship?

Best goalkeeper in the championship on football manager more like, 4 games a season doesnt give somebody such a reputation, and he was clearly seen as the 2nd best goalkeeper at Reading for a start.

[/quote]

You''re nomination? Get a life. I''ve read a lot of your posts and you don''t really know what you''re talking about most the time...He got into the team in feb after being on loan and put on some outstanding performances that had a number of prem clubs very interested in him at the time. My opinion of him was he was probably up there with the best or if not the best in the games that he played in. He started the following season as their number one against chelsea and got a bit unstuck giving taylor the opportunity to come in and take the number one jersey for himself. There really are some idiots on here...You''re my nomination for idiot of the week! 

oh.. and a word of advice... If you''re going to pipe up and give it out at the very least get your facts right, he never played for Reading... He plays for  Birmingham.

[quote user="The Chirp"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="The Chirp"]
Before his really bad time in the prem, Doyle was seen as an excellent prospect and probably the best keeper in the championship... [/quote]

[/quote]

You''re nomination? Get a life.

I''ve read a lot of your posts and you don''t really know what you''re talking about most the time...

He got into the team in feb after being on loan and put on some outstanding performances that had a number of prem clubs very interested in him at the time. My opinion of him was he was probably up there with the best or if not the best in the games that he played in.

He started the following season as their number one against chelsea and got a bit unstuck giving taylor the opportunity to come in and take the number one jersey for himself.

There really are some idiots on here...

You''re my nomination for idiot of the week! 

[/quote]

If you can consider a goalkeeper "up there with the best" after 19 games then it is you that is the idiot.  As it happens I actually want to sign Doyle, as this thread - which I started - suggests.

If you feel so strongly about the quality of my threads, then feel free to restrain from first opening - and then replying to - them.  As it happens the feeling is completely mutual, I have very little interest in what you have to say either.

Having a premiership club interested in you often means very little, Darren Ward was playing in the premiership not too long ago, doesnt make him world class does it. 

[quote user="The Chirp"]oh.. and a word of advice... If you''re going to pipe up and give it out at the very least get your facts right, he never played for Reading... He plays for  Birmingham.
[/quote]

Im sure you will acknowledge in the original post (which you choose to open and respond to) that I stated Birmingham, and as such my facts are completely correct.

If you dont like what I have to say then stay the f*ck off of my threads, if you dont like chicken then dont go to kfc.

[quote user="The Chirp"]

[/quote]

My opinion of him was he was probably up there with the best or if not the best in the games that he played in.

[/quote]

Everybody who knows anything about that season would know that Matt Murray was held and shoulders above any other goalkeeper in the league for the entire year, in fact he won the pfa fans player of the year for the whole division, he was the goalkeeper for the championship team of the year as well, he was the wolves player of the season. Just ask we8wba who he would rate higher when fit, and he would tell you.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="The Chirp"]oh.. and a word of advice... If you''re going to pipe up and give it out at the very least get your facts right, he never played for Reading... He plays for  Birmingham. [/quote]

Im sure you will acknowledge in the original post (which you choose to open and respond to) that I stated Birmingham, and as such my facts are completely correct.

If you dont like what I have to say then stay the f*ck off of my threads, if you dont like chicken then dont go to kfc.

[/quote]

haha okay Juan I won''t go to KFC... What a polite chap you are... Your mother must be so proud!

[quote user="The Chirp"]oh.. and a word of advice... If you''re going to pipe up and give it out at the very least get your facts right, he never played for Reading... He plays for  Birmingham.
[/quote]

[/quote]

haha okay Juan I won''t go to KFC... What a polite chap you are... Your mother must be so proud!
[/quote]

My mother is dead.

I dont think this would be a bad move personally. Rudd maybe a good prospect but he has only just turned 18 and maybe we can loan him out or give him the cup games. This would buy Rudd a further year to bulk up abit and hopefully gain some experience. I would hate to see the kid come in and make a hash of a few goals in what is a very important season for us, having his confidence shot to pieces in the process.

this is the risk... however, you look at smithies at huddersfield and maybe someone like rudd can do the same... I mean he didn''t seem to be low in confidence in the fa youth cup did he? I know it''s not the same but maybe he should be given a handful of starts... it will be interesting to see how he does in pre season.

[quote user="The Chirp"]this is the risk... however, you look at smithies at huddersfield and maybe someone like rudd can do the same... I mean he didn''t seem to be low in confidence in the fa youth cup did he?

I know it''s not the same but maybe he should be given a handful of starts... it will be interesting to see how he does in pre season.
[/quote]

I can see what your saying, but Smithies is nearly a year older than Rudd, and Huddersfield are a team on the rise. We have alot of infighting going on at the momment and if things go badly in the first few games, Carrow Road could be a pretty hostile place for young footballers to cope with. I guess you could argue that it''s all part of the make or break process i just feel he''s a year too young to be No1. Hence a keeper signing for us just for a year so as not to block his progress later seems like a good idea to me.

yes i have to say... i think you have a good point there yellowbeagle. a loan out somewhere might do him a lot of good.