Sign in to follow this  
Soldier on

Wingers/Speed

whilst messrs Gunn & Co appear to recognise the need for a much bigger squad surely we need to sign a few genuinely talented. quick, speedy, skillful guys to go with the battle hardened league 1 pro.

Assume that we cannot compete for this type of player until Clingan has gone.

Vitally important that we retain Hoolahan though in my opinion

MK Dons used fast skillful wingers and done really well, players like Jason Puncheon.

I agree, someone in the Darren Eadie/Darren Huckerby mould who run at the opposition should always be in the team. Counter attacking could be key in this league so some pace throughout the team is needed, especially after a season of sideways/backwards passing last season.

Yes speed helps, so long as the winger can cross the ball accurately!But we need speed to move the ball about as well, which means good passing, taking up positions and good control of the ball. If you have this, speed is not that great an advantage, as many teams have demonstrated.  Hoolahan is not particularly quick, and perhaps not really a winger, but he can be very effective with the ball at his feet.

I agree. On the basis that nelson is about to sign and that we will get a keeper from somewhere (hopefully Doyle) I think the 2 remaining gaps in the squad are a targetman (Lee hopefully) and a right winger. It is pretty essesntial that the latter has some decent pace otherwise we will be a bit one dimensional.

You say we have no speed on the wings. But we do, maybe its the time to blood are youngsters, we have daley, Korey, all dead fast and iam sure they can cross a ball.

Always good some pace if only to keep their back line from moving forward tomuch and pressing.However give me a good winger rather than a no skill pace machine it didn''t do us any favours at right back last season.