Sign in to follow this  
William Darby

Jimmy Jones given an MBE

Gorleston FC hero honoured

Honoured: Jimmy Jones
Honoured:

Jimmy Jones

18 June 2009

GORLESTON football club stalwart Jimmy Jones was among the local names featured in the Queen''s Birthday Honours List. Mr

Jones, who was made an MBE for services to sport, said he has “loved

every minute” of his 37-year connection with the club as chairman and

president.The 70-year-old, whose family runs the Pleasure

Beach, said the accolade was for everyone connected with the club that

represented old-fashioned values in the game.A former board

member at Carrow Road from Norwich City''s days in the Premier-ship, Mr

Jones said: “Words cannot express how I feel; it is a tremendous honour

for both myself and the club.“My family are absolutely

delighted and I have had some wonderful messages from the club''s

supporters from as far away as Spain and Portugal. All directors at big

clubs should start out at grassroots level.” Mr Jones began

his first 10-year spell as chairman of the Greens in 1972 and returned

to the role in 1996 after serving on the Norwich City board. He stepped

down from the role last year and remains the club''s life president.

[quote user="The Fuehrer with a Pound Shop Keyboard"]

Gorleston FC hero honoured

18 June 2009

GORLESTON football club stalwart Jimmy Jones was among the local names featured in the Queen''s Birthday Honours List.

Mr Jones, who was made an MBE for services to sport, said he has “loved every minute” of his 37-year connection with the club as chairman and president.

The 70-year-old, whose family runs the Pleasure Beach, said the accolade was for everyone connected with the club that represented old-fashioned values in the game.

A former board member at Carrow Road from Norwich City''s days in the Premier-ship, Mr Jones said: “Words cannot express how I feel; it is a tremendous honour for both myself and the club.

“My family are absolutely delighted and I have had some wonderful messages from the club''s supporters from as far away as Spain and Portugal. All directors at big clubs should start out at grassroots level.”

Mr Jones began his first 10-year spell as chairman of the Greens in 1972 and returned to the role in 1996 after serving on the Norwich City board. He stepped down from the role last year and remains the club''s life president.
[/quote]

Have you ever found it in yourself to forgive Smith for using & double-crossing you Jimmy?

[quote user="james norwich"]wasn''t he Chase''s buddy??[/quote]

Yet another fan who is unaware of what really happened! Jimmy was ''got at'', and stabbed Bob in the back. In return for the instrumental part he played in the under-hand ousting of Chase, he was promised a place on a new board to be assembled by Smith once she gained control - via Watling. Alas, after playing his part, poor Jimmy was to be dropped like a stone by the twisted toe-rag that (13 years later) has all but destroyed her ''little old Norwich''. I know that Jimmy is resentful & remorseful in respect of how he allowed himself to be used so cruelly by callous Smith, Blower & co.

Although Jimmy (no doubt) deserves his MBE, he must regret how he allowed himself to become a catalyst in the downfall of a successful football club.

I wish you well Jimmy - congratulations, and many thanks for the part you played whilst serving alongside Bob during those fantastic seasons from the mid-80''s to early 90''s, and before your involvement with certain individuals!

Well done Jimmy.

However, despite all the wonderful work you did for NCFC whilst sitting on the board next to Bob, I still (all these years on) feel uneasy about your role in events leading up to the takeover by Smith & Jones.

[quote] "Say Happy To The Clappies"]Can''t seem to get the quote to appear but.......

Delia Out, you would have done well in the Soviet Union under Stalin they used to rewrite history too![/quote]

Oh Dear, Oh Dear!

Regardless of whatever happened during the dismantling of the Chase era, Jimmy Jones is a top man who has done a lot of good for his local community, and not just through football. A generous and decent chap who deserves any recognition he gets.

[quote user="curnster"]Regardless of whatever happened during the dismantling of the Chase era, Jimmy Jones is a top man who has done a lot of good for his local community, and not just through football. A generous and decent chap who deserves any recognition he gets.[/quote]Not the bloke I knew then......

[quote user="DEB (never forgotten)"]

"Say Happy To The Clappies"]Can''t seem to get the quote to appear but.......Delia Out, you would have done well in the Soviet Union under Stalin they used to rewrite history too![/quote]

Oh Dear, Oh Dear!

[quote]

I love the rationale behind some people, to even question slightly the validity of an anti Delia rant means you are one of her biggest supporters and as such condemned. That sort of thing used to go on under Stalin too. For the record I don''t support Delia Smith''s running of this club and am deeply unhappy with the status quo, however i also relise that the Robert Chase era wasn''t some utopian dream where everything was great. Some people seem to see Robert Chase through rose tinted glasses. He shares part of the responsibility that the current board shoulder for the demise of NCFC. To suggest otherwise is as i stated re-writing history.

I love the rationale behind some people, to even question slightly the validity of an anti Delia rant means you are one of her biggest supporters and as such condemned. That sort of thing used to go on under Stalin too. For the record I don''t support Delia Smith''s running of this club and am deeply unhappy with the status quo, however i also relise that the Robert Chase era wasn''t some utopian dream where everything was great. Some people seem to see Robert Chase through rose tinted glasses. He shares part of the responsibility that the current board shoulder for the demise of NCFC. To suggest otherwise is as i stated re-writing history.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="DEB (never forgotten)"]

"Say Happy To The Clappies"]Can''t seem to get the quote to appear but.......

Delia Out, you would have done well in the Soviet Union under Stalin they used to rewrite history too![/quote]

Oh Dear, Oh Dear!

[quote]

I love the rationale behind some people, to even question slightly the validity of an anti Delia rant means you are one of her biggest supporters and as such condemned. That sort of thing used to go on under Stalin too.

For the record I don''t support Delia Smith''s running of this club and am deeply unhappy with the status quo, however i also relise that the Robert Chase era wasn''t some utopian dream where everything was great.

Some people seem to see Robert Chase through rose tinted glasses. He shares part of the responsibility that the current board shoulder for the demise of NCFC. To suggest otherwise is as i stated re-writing history.

[/quote]

I get it - this is all tongue in cheek. Very funny.

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="DEB (never forgotten)"]

"Say Happy To The Clappies"]Can''t seem to get the quote to appear but.......

Oh Dear, Oh Dear!

[quote]

I love the rationale behind some people, to even question slightly the validity of an anti Delia rant means you are one of her biggest supporters and as such condemned. That sort of thing used to go on under Stalin too.

For the record I don''t support Delia Smith''s running of this club and am deeply unhappy with the status quo, however i also relise that the Robert Chase era wasn''t some utopian dream where everything was great.

Some people seem to see Robert Chase through rose tinted glasses. He shares part of the responsibility that the current board shoulder for the demise of NCFC. To suggest otherwise is as i stated re-writing history.

[/quote]

I get it - this is all tongue in cheek. Very funny.