Sign in to follow this  
McNamees attitude

Millwall Hooligans-Just how bad are they???

Years ago there was a TV documentary about "F Troop" a hardcore group of Millwall fans, on a visit to some other club the most violent trie to take on a whole stand single-handed needles to say he was arrested, very funny though.

I was introduced to F Troop in 1978 at the infamous, f.a quarter-final v Gippeswyk. The history of the Club is distinct, Scottish Dockers in origin I believe, and a long tradition of radical, anti-authoritarian, working class solidarity, which developed into a more defensive, racist, hooligan sub-culture. Today the new den is a very safe place, after years of intensive policing, and media coverage. Under the surface the sub culture exists but it is unlikely to raise its head at the City game. It remains one of my favourite places, I particularly enjoy visiting the raw un reconstructed pubs in Bermondsey, and taking in the atmosphere, its tough, its rough, but so is the history of Deptford/Bermondsey, and the genuine South Londoner in that area is a product of their environment. Society never did these folk many favours, so do not expect a liberal outlook..........no one likes us etc

I was at that 4-0 defeat too. Was only in my mid-teens and was babysitting my Dad who had a bad back, so i was quite worried going down there but it wasn''t that bad at all. Had a funny moment as we went to walk down some alley, only to have some Millwall fan look at us and say ''Bloody hell you''re brave, lads'', so we quickly went another way to the ground.

Maybe it was the result but they seemed quite friendly as we walked back to the car.

Wolves is far worse, been there twice and had trouble twice.

Saying that, on the train back from Charlton after The Debacle, my mates and i were spotted by a bunch of Millwall fans who proceeded to pepper our train with anything they could get their hands on. They even charged the doors, which luckily for us stayed tightly shut. I swear there wasn''t a window on that train coach that was still intact when we eventually pulled out of Bermondsey! Kind of a hairy moment, that.

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]I took my mrs couple of seasons back and it was no problem at all. I even sat in local pub and cafe with my Norwich scarf on. I think body language and attitude are the main things here, I was friendly and polite and was treated impeccably. A skin''ed Millwall fan even offered me a free lift to the station in his cab after the match...but then I was in my thirties with the wife and very clearly not looking for aggro[/quote]

Was your dog collar on under the scarf ? ( lol )

[quote user="james norwich"]Old man sitting in the River End a few seasons ago with his grandson. When Millwall scored he jumped up to celebrate and ''words were spoken''. To my amazement the old Millwall fella wanted to take on about 10 people at once. Shouting ''do you want some'' to those around him - not the typical grandad and grandson at the football scenario but for me just shows how hard they are!![/quote]

There''s an old joke when I lived in London that you had to have been on a Saga holiday to qualify as a Millwall fan......

A hell of a lot of them seemed to be in their forties and you wouldn''t mess with them. Probably changed a bit since then but the New Den isn''t the place to take liberties. I was there for the 4-0 defeat in our play-off season and during the game some young Norwich lunatic started running around inviting the home fans to a fight. Despite the obvious plea of insanity as a '' get out of jail '' card this cut no ice with the locals who gave him something to remember outside after the game. From what I heard he had to run onto a supporters coach to escape.

At the old Den in the mid-70''s Norwich colours outside the ground were as rare as hen''s teeth. It''s a bit more relaxed now but probably best to keep a low profile and if anyone asks you the time try to sound as though you''ve just walked onto the '' EastEnders '' set.

Wouldn''t mind some elaboration on the wearing of colours please... I''ve gone to a fair few away games to a fair few hairy clubs. I was always under the impression that a yellow and green shirt was less likely to attract much more than verbal than say a polo shirt, Burberry cap, dark jacket, classics etc''? Surely the straight supporter gear is less inflammatory than a geeza uniform? At the end of, if you keep it respectful and don''t get facey with noisy locals away from the ground, you should be fine.

[quote user="Romantic"]Wouldn''t mind some elaboration on the wearing of colours please... I''ve gone to a fair few away games to a fair few hairy clubs. I was always under the impression that a yellow and green shirt was less likely to attract much more than verbal than say a polo shirt, Burberry cap, dark jacket, classics etc''? Surely the straight supporter gear is less inflammatory than a geeza uniform? At the end of, if you keep it respectful and don''t get facey with noisy locals away from the ground, you should be fine.[/quote]

Oh come off it, anybody who travels around the country knows what the uniform is and it isn’t colours, wear them by all means but don’t surprised if you get a  bit of grief for it at certain grounds.

[quote user="Bury Green"] 

Leicester the season before last was an odd one and really a one off event with faces I hadn’t seen for many many years and that of course was all outside the ground. 

[/quote]

The Coventry game just prior saw lots more violence and in that one, in which City fans were involved and arrested, it was proven to be pre arranged.

Probably arranged by this group of underground neanderthals:-   http://www.network54.com/Forum/252910/

Have a good read of some of the older posts and then tell me that Norwich violence is not arranged with rival mobs!

[quote user="Bury Green"]

[quote user="Romantic"]Wouldn''t mind some elaboration on the wearing of colours please... I''ve gone to a fair few away games to a fair few hairy clubs. I was always under the impression that a yellow and green shirt was less likely to attract much more than verbal than say a polo shirt, Burberry cap, dark jacket, classics etc''? Surely the straight supporter gear is less inflammatory than a geeza uniform? At the end of, if you keep it respectful and don''t get facey with noisy locals away from the ground, you should be fine.[/quote]

Oh come off it, anybody who travels around the country knows what the uniform is and it isn’t colours, wear them by all means but don’t surprised if you get a  bit of grief for it at certain grounds.

[/quote]I think that''s what I''m saying isn''t it? That there''s a kind of uniform (clothing AND behavior) which attracts trouble. I know (as you''ll notice I am someone who travels away) that colors attract a bit of verbal, but what I''m saying is that you shouldn''t be afraid to wear an NCFC shirt, just keep your nose clean and you should have a decent day out. There will always be exceptions to the rule but random attacks are in the extreme minority.

[quote user="Romantic"][quote user="Bury Green"]

[/quote]

I think that''s what I''m saying isn''t it? That there''s a kind of uniform (clothing AND behavior) which attracts trouble. I know (as you''ll notice I am someone who travels away) that colors attract a bit of verbal, but what I''m saying is that you shouldn''t be afraid to wear an NCFC shirt, just keep your nose clean and you should have a decent day out. There will always be exceptions to the rule but random attacks are in the extreme minority.
[/quote]

Personally I wouldn''t wear any colours to Milly, but that''s just me.

[quote user="barclayboy1902"]

you could go by club cabbge,drop off and pick up outside the ground

no worries wear you colours no probs

[/quote]

Id sooner walk than go by CC lol

[quote user="hogesar"]Evidently i do. If you behave yourself, nothing bad will come of it.I do not think Millwall are any worse than the likes of Leeds fans etc.You''re more than likely one of the lot that see the picture painted by the media - and not the reality.[/quote]Yeah ok, I read about them in the News of the World. Have a nice day outIts precisely the point that at places like Millwall and cardiff you dont need to be looking for trouble, if they want an off, you''ll do.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="barclayboy1902"]

you could go by club cabbge,drop off and pick up outside the ground

no worries wear you colours no probs

[/quote]

Id sooner walk than go by CC lol

[/quote]

The prospect of  a day out with Club Cabbage is infinitely more frightening than the thought of being chased around New Cross by ‘The Wall’ which then begs the question, if Millwall are that bad have they ever been confronted by Club Cabbages finest?

I''ve only been to Millwall once and that was the old Den in 1971 when we were unbeaten in 15(?) and top of the old Div2. It was a bumper crowd as Millwall were also challenging for promotion. I remember accidentally wandering into their end, leaving at a fair rate of knots, then being tripped repeatedly as I made my way down to the opposite end where there appeared to be some Norwich fans. As soon as I got there Millwall fans attacked from behind and there was complete mayhem. After it settled down I spent a very pleasant afternoon chatting with an older Millwall fan about the respective strengths and weaknesses of the two sides although we did get beat 2-1. After that much jolliment ensued as we were pursued to Liverpool Street and attacked on the platform while waiting to board the special. Happy days!

PS to my previous post - I think Norwich did give them a bit of stick in the return fixture - I recall several Millwall fans being stabbed! Seems like another world now.

Drove to the Den in 1975 when I had the L plates on with my old dad.

We were pushing for promotion along with Man U and Villa (!!) and Millwall were struggling to avoid relegation. My memory may have corrupted things but I seem to remember them winning until very late on when we equalised. The was a moment of celebration from various small groups around the ground before it kicked off everywhere. A very elderly Millwall fan near us was putting it about everywhere he could for about a minute. The last minutes of that game were tense to say the least

Anyone who doubts the ferocity of their support should just look on Google / You tube.....

Nasty

They were making monkey chants at a player about 10 years ago and the then chairman Theo whatsit from Dragons Den tried to defend them on the news when questioned. Twat.

Have they ever been in Europe?

[Have they ever been in Europe?

Yes, when they lost the FA Cup final to Man Utd, they played Hungarian team Fenrochios or something like that.

Like to see Houston wander in there chanting from his bible, you know, that historically accurate novel

[quote user="Ricko"]I''ve only been to Millwall once and that was the old Den in 1971 when we were unbeaten in 15(?) and top of the old Div2. It was a bumper crowd as Millwall were also challenging for promotion. I remember accidentally wandering into their end, leaving at a fair rate of knots, then being tripped repeatedly as I made my way down to the opposite end where there appeared to be some Norwich fans. As soon as I got there Millwall fans attacked from behind and there was complete mayhem. After it settled down I spent a very pleasant afternoon chatting with an older Millwall fan about the respective strengths and weaknesses of the two sides although we did get beat 2-1. After that much jolliment ensued as we were pursued to Liverpool Street and attacked on the platform while waiting to board the special. Happy days!
[/quote]

I was there that day and was only 9 years old at the time, sat at the front near the half way line with my dad. Even at that young age I remember feeling a bit uncomfortable with the abuse that was dished out to our players everytime they touched the ball, I can also remember the Millwall fans shouting " come on arry " to Harry Cripps who was a midfield thug for them if I remember rightly. I have never been back since.

My mate is a millwall fan and I went to the play off final with him last month. There were a lot more Millwall fans than Scunthorpe, after the game a bit of harsh banter going outside wembey, just a few lads telling the "Northern monkeys" to F**k off. I thought that would be it then we walked down the road just off wembley way and a fan was getting battered in by a few fans and as we walked by he was lying on the floor still with blood dripping from his head, heavy police presence after this but they couldnt stop much, a lot of fans getting angry on the tube getting into the faces of the police chanting murderers muderers. Obviously the heat of the occasion was getting to a minority, but still something I didnt expect to see.