Sign in to follow this  
yellowarmy

Dickinson on loan ?

Oh please no, we''re not going down the loan route again for key positions surely? OK with Doyle on loan so as not to block the development of Rudd but why do we want to ''knock the rough edges'' of this lad for Derby''s benefit? If we can''t afford to buy him now and he''s successful we won''t be able to buy him then.

Yer exactly what i was thinking. I thought we were staying clear of the loan market?  If he scores plenty of goals, it''s for Derby''s benefit and we will have to pay more to sign him permantly!

[quote user="crafty canary"]Oh please no, we''re not going down the loan route again for key positions surely? OK with Doyle on loan so as not to block the development of Rudd but why do we want to ''knock the rough edges'' of this lad for Derby''s benefit? If we can''t afford to buy him now and he''s successful we won''t be able to buy him then.[/quote]I shouldn''t worry too much crafty. The article that MFW has quoted doesn''t mention Norwich...........

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12874_5389017,00.html

The odd season long loan is fine in my book, just not a squad made up of them. If they are in right from the start, like a Bertrand, I think they can be a good addition to the squad.

I don''t think it''d be a bad thing - 2 or 3 players on a season loan isn''t the end of the world, at least you know they''re here for the season. Plus he''s not massively proven, and would probably cost quite a bit.

[quote user="crafty canary"]If he''s not massively proven but would cost quite a bit, why bother?[/quote]

That''s what I''m saying - take him on loan for the season. No huge investment, plus gives him time to settle into the club and squad like it''s his own and score some goals. I always forget that Bertrand is (was) a loan player, he felt like one of us really.

Ched Evans was nothing before he came to us on loan, now he''s worth a few bob.If we had signed him we could have sold him and made a profit. I hate putting other team''s players in the shop window.Yes a loan is lesser risk, but that doesn''t mean it''s the best option.

It is inevitable that we will have to loan some players this season - no one, from Gunn to Butterworth to Crook has denied this - we surely can''t expect to sign the number of players we need only as permanent signings.  There''s no need to go completely anti loans just because of it getting out of hand as last season.  Remember that our title winning season saw us loan several players in key positions.

The crucial thing is that we a) know what we''re getting as opposed to loaning any old crap (eg Troy watsisname, Koroma), and b) that they are worth their place in the squad rather than sitting it out, as that is quite simply money wasted.

Strikers cost money, if we want to sign two this summer (which is the minimum in my opinion) then it would make some sense to loan one allowing us to buy one of higher quality, rather than spliting the cash into the money for two cheaper, worse, strikers.

Leicester had 4 loan keepers, 3 loan defenders (2 signing permanently) and 2 midfielders on loan over the course of last season and it didnt do us any harm and they contributed a lot, if loans are managed effectively there is no reason why they can''t make a massive impact and help you get promotion.Although, as Leeds fans will tell you, Dickinson is shocking - worst player i seen at the walkers last year, however Blackpool fans love him I think and he was a success for them (under the same manager as at leeds in a higher division) so he seems very hit and miss, lets just hope its a hit if he signs on loan.Oh, and even if it is an advantage for Derby in the long run making his value go up, it would mean he would have had to score probably 20+, which may be the difference between you going up or not, and if he helps you achieve that, be thankful you had him instead of moaning his price tag is higher than it is now next season.

We are not going to be able to get a decent enough size squad of just perm signings, Its going to take a couple of seasons to recover from the "Roeder Cull", I for one would be happy enough if there were to be 3 or 4 season long loans in our team.