Sign in to follow this  
ncfcfaithful

Who knows their way around a football pitch????

I know this is slightly OT but i often read this board and listen to people giving their opinions at Carrow Rd about the performance of players and i''ve always been interested to know how much football people on here have played and to what level.

Now don''t jump down my throat saying ''you don''t have to play to have an opinion'' as i believe everyone has the right to an opinion whether it be right or wrong.  I''m just genuinely interested to know how much football people who post on here play or played back in the day.  So please indulge me.........

Well I played till I was 11 but then girls weren''t allowed to play with boys anymore so my sparkling career as a magic right winger was dashed. DASHED I TELL YA!Then again, I don''t miss some of the dodgy tackles.[;)]

[quote user="LQ"]Well I played till I was 11 but then girls weren''t allowed to play with boys anymore so my sparkling career as a magic right winger was dashed. DASHED I TELL YA!Then again, I don''t miss some of the dodgy tackles.[;)]

[/quote]pervy coach eh?

Aren''t they all?(that was a joke before some coach does me for libel!)

Played in goal for Bungay Town at youth level for a few years, played a couple of reserve games for them before leaving to live in Hertfordshire.

I now play in a six-a-side team called the "San Jose Earthquakes" in Great Dunmow, Essex.

In my illustrious career I played as targetman (iwan roberts mould) for Taverham and Drayton and Firside Youth bagging goals at different levels, my record at Adult level in my first 5 games I came back with a return of 7 goals, unfortunatly a career threatening injury put pain to my dreams at Horsford United (I was involved in a car crash, but escaped Carlos Teves, Franck Ribery style scars) I ended up with 11 goals in 35 games for Horsford, since my stint there I have had various cameo roles for Horsford Social Club Sunday FC and Rising Sun in the Luton Sunday League where I played left-back. (versatile!!)

An injury has forced me to the sidelines this season but I hope to gain enough match fitness when I''m out of the treatment room to gain a place for Stopsley Stingers in the Luton Sunday League.

As you can see I''ve never played to a high standard but I still remain in the football industry in a management position.

Good to hear there are some players on here!!

I just play Sunday football now but i''d say my career high was playing for Norfolk FA at Under 18''s.  I also played a few games for Norwich United and got paid but now I just enjoy the social level!!

I''d really like to hear what level some of the more opinionated posters on here have played at....

Although to be honest it''s nice to see some less regular posters like myself replying to this post as it makes a peasant change from the usual arguments!!

I played in goal for my school team in our worst ever season, it didn''t help that I wasn''t much good, and my team mates were equally as bad.

Plus - we had just lost the sixth form as they had been moved to a different college, but the clueless sports master still entered our teams into the borough schools first and second team league, which was mostly against local sixth form colleges. We were only an average U-16 team, playing a good standard of U-18 football, and there were only 80 boys in our year yet we were expected to field two teams.  I was the second team keeper.

We played eight games lost them all, conceded 106 goals, and scored 1. The results are probably still etched onto the underside of a school desk, as I had decided to record them for posterity as we were so bad. We did lose one game 22 to Nil, and the team was soon withdrawn from the league.

I''ve never played since then.

Nothing to brag about from me really.Played since I was about 8 and went on summer camps with Peter Mendham who although has been through a rough patch in his life was still an idol of mine when I was younger.The highest I have played is a couple of appearences for Wymondham Town nearly ten years ago now, strangely at the same time that they managed to convince Peter Mendham to play for them as and when he could. I left them because one member of the club made me feel incredibly uncomfortable - suffice to say he was a racist and no one else seemed to bat an eyelid, probably feared him as much as I did.Other than that I have represented some of the schools I attended as well as 6th form and university and played saturday football in and around london, Christian League, Buisiness Houses League and Sunday football back up here.This season me and an old school friend have started up our own team which has been entered into the Norwich Sunday Friendly League.As for where I play - I have played in every position in my time as I am sure most players that have played Sunday football have done. There is nothing like finding out someone has pulled out or one of the older players has an injury towards the end of a game and someone else has to fill in!I have been lucky enough to have been coached by some good coaches. One of which pointed out many logical things such as if you are a defender you should at least be able to think like a striker because you must be able to read what their intentions are and visa versa. I suppose this is highlighted by the tall strikers such as Dublin and Sutton who could do jobs at the back as well as defenders like Doherty who can play upfront when required.This will be my second season in a management role so I am looking forward to at least attempting something nearing the tactical side of things again. At 27 I like to think I still have a few seasons ahead of me yet.

I am a goalkeeper and was at fulham for a short time (16/17 yr old) when keegan toook over. He got rid of a lot of the youngsters to bring in foreign kids and other kids from other london teams... so i was out... was very gutting at the time!also had spells at sutton united kingstonian and Carshalton. Most recently i have been playing saturday southern combination footy in london. Think last season was my last though as in the past two years i have suffered a broken neck, fractured jaw and eye damage (this was in my comeback game from the neck injury) two concussions (one lasting over a week) anterior knee damage, broken rib and ligament damage to my ankle!! - at 17 i also ruptured my cruciate ligaments in my kicking leg hence my quick decent through the youth football teams... (also i was prob *read defo* not good enough!!!)You don''t necessarily need to have played to understand the game though, i mean i am sure it helps but if you follow football everyday like a lot of you do you''ll know just as much as the next footbal stato.

[quote user="can u sit down please"]currently play for thetford town. Bring on city on the 29th![/quote]

Good luck with that.  I''m sure it will be a match to remember for you!

[quote user="The Chirp"]I am a goalkeeper and was at fulham for a short time (16/17 yr old) when keegan toook over. He got rid of a lot of the youngsters to bring in foreign kids and other kids from other london teams... so i was out... was very gutting at the time!

also had spells at sutton united kingstonian and Carshalton.

Most recently i have been playing saturday southern combination footy in london.

Think last season was my last though as in the past two years i have suffered a broken neck, fractured jaw and eye damage (this was in my comeback game from the neck injury) two concussions (one lasting over a week) anterior knee damage, broken rib and ligament damage to my ankle!! - at 17 i also ruptured my cruciate ligaments in my kicking leg hence my quick decent through the youth football teams... (also i was prob *read defo* not good enough!!!)

You don''t necessarily need to have played to understand the game though, i mean i am sure it helps but if you follow football everyday like a lot of you do you''ll know just as much as the next footbal stato.
[/quote]

OUCH!!!  As a fellow goalkeeper i know how you feel!!

But as a goalkeeper you have to admit we probably understand the game better than most as we get to see everything that''s going on

I got the most improved player of the season for Bocking Dynamos in 1977 for the under 12 `s and also the top goalscorer trophy in 1985 for the boars head pub in braintree after scoring 3 goals!

[quote user="braintree canary"]I got the most improved player of the season for Bocking Dynamos in 1977 for the under 12 `s and also the top goalscorer trophy in 1985 for the boars head pub in braintree after scoring 3 goals![/quote]

3 goals???  You have to be having a laugh don''t you???  That makes City''s goal scorers last season almost look prolific.

Played for the mighty Lutterworth Grammar (one of the best school teams in the country for many a year with approx 70% of the team being made up of county players).  We were the great white dope of a team that was supposed to go one better than the illustrious ones that lost in the final to Millfield College at Filbert Street several years earlier.

Didn''t play anything apart from a bit of Sunday League stuff for years after that apart from in my mid-twenties when I turned out a few times for Guiseley unfortunately missing a pre-season friendly against a then Premiership Bradford City if I remember rightly.

I would say that either a centre back or a central midfielder should have more knowledge of the game than other players.  Generally because they should see a lot more of the ball than other players and are responsible for holding the shape of the team together to a large extent.  I think this theory is backed up by the number of captains managers choose from players who hold these positions and also the number of players from these positions who then go on to take up roles in coaching and management.

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"]

[quote user="The Chirp"]I am a goalkeeper and was at fulham for a short time (16/17 yr old) when keegan toook over. He got rid of a lot of the youngsters to bring in foreign kids and other kids from other london teams... so i was out... was very gutting at the time!also had spells at sutton united kingstonian and Carshalton. Most recently i have been playing saturday southern combination footy in london. Think last season was my last though as in the past two years i have suffered a broken neck, fractured jaw and eye damage (this was in my comeback game from the neck injury) two concussions (one lasting over a week) anterior knee damage, broken rib and ligament damage to my ankle!! - at 17 i also ruptured my cruciate ligaments in my kicking leg hence my quick decent through the youth football teams... (also i was prob *read defo* not good enough!!!)You don''t necessarily need to have played to understand the game though, i mean i am sure it helps but if you follow football everyday like a lot of you do you''ll know just as much as the next footbal stato. [/quote]

OUCH!!!  As a fellow goalkeeper i know how you feel!!

But as a goalkeeper you have to admit we probably understand the game better than most as we get to see everything that''s going on

[/quote]i would agree... however i think smudge is right about the central defenders and the midfield. I think any position through the middle serves you well for a good understanding of the game.  I would say that to be a decent keeper you need mental toughness and courage which i think makes a good captain and a manager. I managed to finally play upfront last season for 5 games as we hadn''t a target man and i have to say i loved it! Scored two (inc a 20 yarder in the top corner off the bar... didn''t mean it although i told me team i did!) Went on to play in midfield too... It was so good to finally be able to do the running i had wished my outfield players were doing! the amount of players who duck out of challenges used to annoy me so much (maybe i should have done then too and i wouldn''t have a cracky jaw and suffer regular headaches!) but i have to say i was dizzy running around for 90 mins! - worst thing for a keeper is 5 aside... i love a challenge and that little D you''re not allowed out of... it''s such a shame!

Having played a bit with ncfcfaithful, I cal tell you he is a decent keeper too.

I played semi-pro in Sussex (didn''t get paid much but any money to play football is a buzz), we played in the FA Cup (against Dartford - pre Codi McDonald) and the FA vase and had a freindly againsy Portsmouth. After that I played 5 games for AFC Wimbledon Ressies before doing my knee ligaments in. Haven''t played a high standard since. Turn out for Hempnall Ressies every now and again.

when i was 16 i had trails for norwich, but didnt make the grade as i was to short, played for norfolk during my school years, played for gorleston under robert fleck a few years ago,

The old gents who carried those ''Golden Goal'' time boards certainly did.  Literally, round the pitch.  Ah, the days.

Goalkeeper

Finished playing about 5 years ago.

Played Ang Comb for Dereham Town Res and Yaxham Sunday.

As well as a few others.

Invited for trials at Everton the week before I shattered my right leg in an innocious

challenge in a Sunday morning league game (my little bruvs 18th B''Day!)

Had right leg pinned (and never had it removed, it''s still there!)

Now play Golf instead!

OTBC!

always the way! you must have been good to have everton interested! I ruptured my cruciate coming out to claim a cross in front of the palace gk coach who had watched me twice before... to say it was bad timing is an understatment... although having said that... I really hated one of the players at palace not to mention the football team anyway so would have much rather played for just about any other london club!

not me but i used to work with a chap who was on the books of the scummers when burley was there...

he was doing ok for himself coming through, when he was about 17 or 18 Wingnut Burley said he was going to name him on the bench for the first team game on the Saturday if he gave a good showing in the Ressies on the wednesday.... played 11 minutes before a 50/50 challenge broke his leg below the knee and ruined his dreams.... shame.. he was a nice guy to boot.

jas :)

Played for Rangers youth teams but had ACL damage at 16. 6` 4" Centre half

Sunday league up until about 5 years ago. Never really got it back after the injury.

Depresses me to think what might have been!!