Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Ian Butterworth said...

...at the press conference today, that before the Colchester game there would be another 2 or 3 signings.

Will this be enough, as I am expecting at least another 2 or 3 to go ?

We have a paper thin squad now so we need about another 6 or 7 players and some quality too.

[quote user="1st Wazzock"]

...at the press conference today, that before the Colchester game there would be another 2 or 3 signings.

We have a paper thin squad now so we need about another 6 or 7 players and some quality too.

[/quote]I was quite surprised and a tad disappointed by that statement too, was also expecting at least four or five more

[/quote]i bloody hope there will be more than 2 or 3 more players coming in....we need a keeper a striker a left back a winger...and some squad players im with you 1st waz 6 or 7 more at least

[quote user="Romantic"]Yeah but wasn''t it a figure of speech rather than a direct numerical total ?[/quote]Oh I like the play on words there: ''figure of speech''.........''''direct numerical total''.Well done.

I wonder if that includes Nelson or Lappin or both staying?As we stand we have:GK: Rudd, SteerRB: Otsemobor, Spillane*CB: Nelson, Doherty, Stefanovic, SpillaneLB: DruryRM: Smith, Martin*, Patty*CM: Russell £, Clingan £, Gill, Tudur Jones, Pattison, Adeyemi, Patty, Spillane*LM: Hoolahan £, Patty*CF: Cureton, MacDonald, Martin, It also sounds like he is going for a round-about figure. The one thing that isnt clear is whether the one he talks about being here in the next week to ten days is included in the two or three more by the Colchester friendly. That would be three or four new signings by then taking our player recruited total up to 6 or 7.Looking at where we stand squad wise we must have a GK, LB, RM and LM along with a target man if possible. If Lappin and Nelson sign on then you can reduce that list by two positions which allows more scope for getting in players that can offer competition for places or something a little bit different. Not to mention any possible loans.Another thing to take into consideration is  that there may well be signings after Colchester - it may be that it is after players are sold that they get to go on phase two of the recruitment drive although I would suggest it is risky going for so many new players. You are trying to get them playing as a team and try to establish and maintain a team spirit.

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I thought the comment about "We have no idea hope much money we have to spend, it''s on a day by day basis" was far more worrying
[/quote]

Why?

It seems logical to me, rebates, comings and goings will constantly vary.........day by day.

[quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I thought the comment about "We have no idea hope much money we have to spend, it''s on a day by day basis" was far more worrying[/quote]

Why?

It seems logical to me, rebates, comings and goings will constantly vary.........day by day.

[/quote]Not really, the rebate deadline has passed so the club should now know exactly what is in the transfer kitty.  The only variable remaining will be in player sales, i.e. Clingan £750k-£1m, Hoolahan £500-750k, Otsemobor £2-2.50...

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I thought the comment about "We have no idea hope much money we have to spend, it''s on a day by day basis" was far more worrying
[/quote]

Why?

[/quote]

Not really, the rebate deadline has passed so the club should now know exactly what is in the transfer kitty.  The only variable remaining will be in player sales, i.e. Clingan £750k-£1m, Hoolahan £500-750k, Otsemobor £2-2.50...

[/quote]

Has it?

I thought it was 6pm tonight!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]I thought the comment about "We have no idea hope much money we have to spend, it''s on a day by day basis" was far more worrying[/quote]

Why?

[/quote]Not really, the rebate deadline has passed so the club should now know exactly what is in the transfer kitty.  The only variable remaining will be in player sales, i.e. Clingan £750k-£1m, Hoolahan £500-750k, Otsemobor £2-2.50...[/quote]

Has it?

[/quote]But you have to claim by filling in a form and returning it, so the deadline is actually whenever the postie delivers today''s mail. 

[/quote]

I just read this in the paper. If that is true it is completely ridiculous. We need far more than one or two. In my opinion we need at least 1 goalkeeper, 1 right back, 1 left back, a right midfielder, a left midfielder (if Hoolahan goes), and 2 strikers. That''s 6 or 7 signings. 1 or 2 is just not good enough.

If it''s not just one or two - why has he said it? Why can''t they come out and say ''there will be plenty more signings'' and let us know exactly whats going on. Obviously not the players we are interested in as it may interest other clubs, but they should be telling us how many players we are looking to sign.

Hanging on as ever for any positive signs and tit bits, I am encouraged by Butters comments on money available.

A lot could depend on which directors are coming on board!!

Ominously he said that they had other names in mind, but would have to wait until they had permission to approach them.As it almost certainly means that they will not be Bosmans, it may mean that we have to wait for Delia to return to see about the money, or it may mean that new finance/takeover is imminent, and it''s not about whether there is money but also how much. The answer determines how high they can aim.Overall, he seemed to think that there will be further signings, - one in the next 10 days - perhaps Coyle, when Brum have acquired Hart and made a decision, or perhaps someone else. After July 1st there would he, he hoped, other signings, which will involve transfer fees .They are not fools. Even if we have Spillane and Martin back, and one or two youngsters, we need more than the three/four "free" signings to make up for Fozzy/Croft/Cort and the many loan players who have all gone. (I do not mention Clingan, but it seems likely that he will go.)

It was a figure of speech nothing more!

Anyway if he said that we would be making a load of signings and we don''t then he''d look silly!

Talking down something is better than talking up something cause the expectations of people aren''t dented when the reality is not as good as the talk!

Anyway managers and assistants don''t give alot away in interviews!

I fully expect us to sign more than 2 more players!

Calm down everyone, it was a figure of speech, and would have sounded very odd if he had said "5 or 6".They know we need a RM, LM, LB, CF at the least, and thats with nobody else going.  All we have seen is the freebies so far.  There will be at least one, probably two more freebies, then once Clingan sods off, one or two purchases.  Add a couple of loans at the end and thats around 6 to come in.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="First Wizard"]

[/quote]

Why?

[/quote]

Not really, the rebate deadline has passed so the club should now know exactly what is in the transfer kitty.  The only variable remaining will be in player sales, i.e. Clingan £750k-£1m, Hoolahan £500-750k, Otsemobor £2-2.50...

[/quote]

Has it?

[/quote]

But you have to claim by filling in a form and returning it, so the deadline is actually whenever the postie delivers today''s mail. 

[/quote]

Unless you''re a saddo like me and took it in by hand.......