Sign in to follow this  
Ayrton Twigge

Away fans in home areas

Forgot to raise this after the weekend - but once again, there were Portsmouth fans in the Jarrold stand.

Two guys were sitting several seats away from me - not with their colours on - but quite clearly from the leaping up and down for their goals - and the stone cold silence for ours - they stuck out like the proverbial sore thumbs.

I''m sure I saw pockets of similar behaviour throughout the stand.

Where do these tickets come from?

Must admit, I did not see any of this when we played Portsmouth, but if you think that was bad, wait until we play Liverpool or Man Utd.

It is annoying, but as long as they behave themselves and remain silent and motionless throughout the game, they can be tolerated.

I know of people who ,unable to attend have sold on their season tickets to workmates etc. without checking who they support .Perhaps if the club buy-back scheme was a bit more realistic this would stop this to a certain extent.

The Club should employ out of work snipers to take out anyone deemed not to be celebrating at appropriate times and in an appropriate manner, the people would soon cotton on that sitting in the home areas when supporting the away team isn''t too health-friendly after a few ''incidents''.

This selling on of season tickets is commomn practice - I wrote and complained to the club after our trip to Old trafford this season and was told that not only does this happen but that there are a number of season ticket holders who don''t even support the club! when we were in Div 1 and they "moved to the area" they bought tickets to ensure they could still watch live football apparently. The club can''t stop tickets being sold/passed on, but will at least follow up on any complaints - because I noted the seat numbers down they contacted the away season ticket holders concerned for there side of the story. Bet they cacked themselves when they answered the phone! 

Makes you wonder though doesn''t it - no wonder some of the stands are quiet if it is indeed only a game you''re watching rather than the slightly more emotional relationship the bulk of us on this forum have with the club and team.

This isn''t a new thing. I remember when we were in the Premier ten years ago and playing European football. Even then you''d have "away" fans all over the ground when playing teams like Man Utd and Liverpool.

When we played Arsenal this season, the "away" fans in the Snakepit we''re actually regulars who go and watch Norwich every week, they just decided to cheer on Arsenal instead of us.

Disgusting, really. It wouldn''t bother me that much but I can''t get my girlfriend to matches anymore (I''m a season ticket holder, shes on the waiting list)

if a season ticket holder can''t attend a match i see no reason why he can''t give his ticket to a friend even if he doesn''t support the team.
it takes 2 to fight and its lamentable if we''re not mature enough to watch a match with fans of the opposing team.
If these fans are there to support their team and are not deliberately provoking the rest than they should be left alone.
how about watching the match and supporting ncfc instead of getting needlessly wound up ?

It will always happen. If the fans behave then I don''t think it''s a big problem.
I know someone who lives on merseyside and they have a ticket syndicate at work where they have tickets for Liverpool, Everton and I think Tranmere and different people get the tickets each week.
I actually think its a good idea.

If an away fan sits in the home area and behaves respectfully I have no problem with them being there. On a couple of occasions in the past I have done the same. At Stockport for example - the away end had no seats or roof - and I sat chatting away to the home lot while watching a 2-2 draw on a freezing cold tuesday night. Also, at Liverpool and Everton.It''s when away fans act as if they are in the away section, and start abusing our fans and our team that winds me up. It''s disrespectful and starts trouble.I think with football currently being so popular, the fact that away supporters can sit in home seats at all upsets some fans. But it''s only in recent years that games both here and nationally sell out each week. But I wonder where those fans were five or ten years ago? The more the merrier I say. But remember, if you are new to the game and can''t get a ticket, ask yourself where were you when we were getting gates of only 12000-16000?

Agree with you "If I had the wings.."

A couple of seasons ago, I had some Fulham fans, two blokes in their forties, and an eight year old boy with them, sitting behind me in the city stand/snake pit. It was when Rufus Brevett was getting aggravation for a bad challenge, and they had been respectful all game, and all of sudden, they started singing for Fulham, and criticising Norwich fans, players, the countryside, the typical farmer giles stuff, etc.

I turned round to have a sensible word about being respectful, and all I got was a load of abuse.

These were middle class, new age, prawn sandwich type fans, and they thought "because it was only norwich" they could sit anywhere.

Makes me sick.

The responses on this thread broadly fall into four camps.

1) Why don''t you get on with watching the game if you''re a "proper" supporter rather than what''s going on around you.

Answer - of course we''re watching the game 100%, no distractions. Point is, there''s another "proper" city fan out there who could also like to be watching the game but is denied cos an away supporter has that place. Note, many "proper" supporters don''t have a season ticket for a variety of reasons.

2) Its a free world, and providing they dont make trouble, then why not.

Answer - same as before - its still denying a true home fan a seat when demand far outstrips.

3) A season ticket holder who can''t make it passes it onto his friend/colleague/relation who supports the other side.

Answer - Sad that a season ticket holder - a real supporter - chooses to deny a fellow true supporter an option of a place rather than the opposition.

4) And the other posters are already enlightened and see the justification in "sharing" spare tickets with other home supporters.

[quote]If an away fan sits in the home area and behaves respectfully I have no problem with them being there. On a couple of occasions in the past I have done the same. At Stockport for example - the away en...[/quote]

at last the voice of reason

i completely agree with you pete, those of you who don''t want anyone but your family and friends in the ground should wonder where indeed you were under the likes of b hamilton!!  I know circumstances prevent some of us being s ticket holders for ever, but what is wrong with a few fans of the other club involved being there, i have no problem with them, and btw you can have an equally obnoxious ncfc fan sitting next to you!! 

it would be a great day when (as in all other sports) we can all go into a stadium completely unsegregated.  I wonder if that day will ever happen!

That will never happen.

Surely part of the fun is the banter, the chanting, the wit, the passion.

You havent got to attack people, but in my opinion, they should sit in their designated seats and not anywhere else. I cant see how you can really stop it though, but if they are in "home" areas, they should be respectful and courteous, and if not, they should be kicked out or moved to the away seats.

We are, after all, not rugby or cricket fans, perish the thought!

[quote]The responses on this thread broadly fall into four camps. 1) Why don''t you get on with watching the game if you''re a "proper" supporter rather than what''s going on around you. Answer - of course we...[/quote]

Ayrton,don''t you have friends who support other clubs,as it happens the people I give my season ticket to are coicidently Norwich supporters,they could just have easily have been supporters  of any club they feel like,but 1st and foremost they are friends who I can occasionally help....I suppose that just makes me sad

Gazza,

exactly, i would rather lend my ticket to a well-behaved opposition supporter than give my ticket back to ncfc to sell on to someone i don''t know who could - like far too many - spend the whole game complaining and criticising players and being a pain in the **** to those around them.

and in anticipation of a possible response , i know i''ve crtical of certain players on this forum but at matches I''m all for giving each and everyone of them 100% support.

did ncfc in the past make members take out some ''worthiness'' test before they sold them tickets ? no.

did i see many ncfc supporters mingling with home fans at away matches last season? yes - watford and ipswich spring to mind.

i do sympathise with those who can''t get tickets but if i can''t get to a match I''ll give it to who i want. it will almost certainly be a ncfc supporter but its my ticket, that I bought, so I''ll decide.

GTG,in my opinion there is a good reason why football is by far the most popular spectator sport in the world and that has alot to do with the fact that it has a bit of an `edge`-it isnt polite and predictable, a game which is dull and uneventful one minute can be in passionate tumult the next.

I am afraid inter-fan rivalry plays a massive part in this and whilst of course it shouldnt be taken too far, it serves to intensify an experience that many enjoy because it gives them a buzz which is totally unavailable in their ordinary lives.

I dont think it should be taken too seriously-i know people who are extremely loud and partisan at football who are very sensible professionals outside it. The day the prawn sandwich brigade totally take over will be a sad day for football.

[quote]Gazza You have been reading to many fairy tales where everybody lives happily ever after.[/quote]

if i had the wings

no mate, i am a perfectly stable normal human being, and guess what, i know and count as friends, many people who just happen to support other teams, and if they wanted to come along and watch a game with me i would have no hesitation welcoming them to FCR

just try to see the bigger picture, we are all football fans first and foremost - yes, in my eyes, ncfc is the greatest club in the world, but some people see it differently, if they want to see a game, why not, i have paid for two season tickets, and if i have the opportunity of sharing the game with another football fan i will have no hesitation

btw if i had the wings, two seats away from me sits the biggest racist idiot i have had the unfortunate pleasure of hearing on occasions, guess what he is a city fan, see none of us are perfect!

[quote]GTG,in my opinion there is a good reason why football is by far the most popular spectator sport in the world and that has alot to do with the fact that it has a bit of an `edge`-it isnt polite and pr...[/quote]

mr carrow

if you knew me, you would know i will never be a member of the prawn sandwich collective!

what i do know is that most of us can behave at games, and treat fellow football fans with respect, sure we all have a bit of banter, on here, in the pub, outside the ground as well as during the game -  those who take it too far are the type of people who spend their lives thinking the world owes them a living and everyone else is to blame for their own misfortunes.  As Pete said, newcastle had almost no segregation - i have been in home areas of other clubs before with no trouble at all, it is all a question of attitude, if you respect others, they will respect you

GTG, i guess this argument hinges on what you class as `going too far`, however you seem to have implied from your desire to see an end to segregation that you regard any kind of passionate rivalry as `going too far`. As for your neat little summary of people who have `gone too far` at football, i trust that you are speaking with an in-depth knowledge of such people,rather than resorting to lazy stereotypes? I prefer my football loud,passionate and yes sometimes a bit confrontational. However i am quite prepared to accept-and not pre-judge-others who enjoy their football in a different way. Can you? I am afraid to say that your pleasant experiences in the home ends at other grounds has less to do with attitude or respect and is more to do with the fact you`re a woman. Read Rob Butchers report on his trip to WestHam last season as a good example. Football reflects human nature, as such its very much a `warts and all` experience, and you know what? I and many others love it precisely for that reason.