Sign in to follow this  
Largey

The Nest and Newmarket Road

I''m fairly sure some of you guys have an interest in old stadiums and their whereabouts/what happened to them after etc...

I''ve read a bit about the Nest and the stadium at Newmarket Road, but would like to ask whereabouts they both were located?

The Nest was on Rosary Road, was it on that area which is now a disused quarry/soon to be housing complex? And as for the Newmarker Road stadium....any help whereabouts on the road it was?!

The Nest was in the Bertrand books factory, not sure about Newmarket Road but I thought it was Notcutts roundabout where the school playing fields are now.

I''m pretty sure the first ground was situated on the corner of the Newmarket Road roundabout which was subsequently part of Daniels Nurseries (now Notcutts).

The old CEYMS sports ground I believe.

The Nest was situated on the land that is currently owned by Hopkins homes who are going to build houses on the site. It is on Rosary rd just a short walk from the station and not that far of Carrow Rd.

Until a few years ago it was where Bertrums books had a big headquarters

I believe some old remnants of old crush barriers and evidence of where the terraces were still remain on the cliff side and in the backgardens backing onto it.

On the side of one of the houses next to the entrance to the site is a plaque which gives details of when Norwich played there!

I''d get there soon before the site is covered in a housing estate.

The Newmarket Rd ground still exists to this day albeit without stands in the grounds of the private boys school and is used as a playing field for the school. Again this ground has a plaque commerating Norwichs Citys stint there but the site is out of bounds as its part of the Private school.

If you want to see some of the old "Nest" (you can still see some of the terracing) then take a walk up St Leonard''s Road, turn left onto Guelph Road just before the chip shop and proceed to the end of the road.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Liberal England: When Norwich City played at The Nest

Norwich City | Club | History | History | CLUB HISTORY - 1902 to 1940

[/quote]

I was actually born on Rosary Road.

If you look at the picture in the link above. Under the houses on guelph road there were some adverts painted on the concrete wall.

Those adverts were still visible even in the 70s before Bertram books came along.

Here is a more recent photo of the wall.  http://farm1.static.flickr.com/53/127652158_5d2fb27a2d.jpg

I spent a few summer days exploring all around eastwoods yards (lumber merchant) and climbing that wall.

Also the big iron gates on Rosary Road were still there in the 70s.

I''ve had the Newmarket Road ground pointed out to me and it was as stated by a previous poster situated in what is now a private school field, not the Notcuts end.Nearly opposite what was the Eagle pub.

Old, disused football stadiums fascinate me, I dont know why...but its great to know that we have a few stories to tell about our old stadiums, and that, 80 years on, the signs of an old stadium are still visible and the magic lives on.

Thanks for the help lads :) I work near Rosary Road so I may pop down there sometime to take a closer look, the ruins of the wall and terracing look impressive to this day.

[quote user="USAcanary"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Liberal England: When Norwich City played at The Nest

Norwich City | Club | History | History | CLUB HISTORY - 1902 to 1940

[/quote]

I was actually born on Rosary Road.

If you look at the picture in the link above. Under the houses on guelph road there were some adverts painted on the concrete wall.

Those adverts were still visible even in the 70s before Bertram books came along.

Here is a more recent photo of the wall.  http://farm1.static.flickr.com/53/127652158_5d2fb27a2d.jpg

I spent a few summer days exploring all around eastwoods yards (lumber merchant) and climbing that wall.

Also the big iron gates on Rosary Road were still there in the 70s.

[/quote]

Wow, can''t ever imagine that being a football ground, thanks for sharing that [Y]

Go on google maps and select Rosary Road Norwich....On the aerial satellite image shot selection, if you zoom in where the Nest was, you can still see remnants of the terracing.... 

[quote user="Smeg"]i think i screwed up the PHP by pasting embedded html![/quote]

or even asp

the blue line on the pic is land owned by NCFC and "kerrison holdings"

[quote user="Herb"]I''ve had the Newmarket Road ground pointed out to me and it was as stated by a previous poster situated in what is now a private school field, not the Notcuts end.Nearly opposite what was the Eagle pub.[/quote]

Live 20 seconds away from that pub haha [Y]

[quote user="Smeg"]the blue line on the pic is land owned by NCFC and "kerrison holdings"[/quote]

Report Type: Company Report
Company: KERRISON HOLDINGS LIMITED
Registered Office: NORWICH CITY FOOTBALL CLUB PLC, CARROW ROAD, NORWICH, NORFOLK
Latest Accounts: 20080531
Latest Returns: 20080927
Legal Status: Private Limited
Date Incorporated: Sep 27, 2002

Thanks Smeg, very informative, although it could have been accomplished in one post ;)

To be fair, most of what is on that pic is there now (new housing, 5-aside pitches), there are making space for more housing along the river.

Not sure they have enough to deck the car park though!

official site history page says on land corner of newmarket road and daniels road roundabout. deffo not opposite eagle pub.