Sign in to follow this  
|BA

Zema Abbey

Really thought he was going to be a good player.... hardest head I ever came into contact with.... fists like mallets..... knees of a poxxy chicken

I still see Zema today, he owns a fashion boutique (shop) in Luton called Twisted Tongues, you can find it on facebook.

He plays at my football centre, nice bloke

Suprised no mention of Gillanza, or however u spelt it.. Now he was raw talent. Shame he got a terrible injury just when he was on true goalscoring form for us. Anyone remember how mnay goals he got in such little games starting for us?? When he came back Worthington was quick to give him the boot. Great shame :(

As I remember it, he needed a routine knee operation and they made a mess of it in Switzerland. Ruined his career. Had a chat to him once when he was outside CR, top bloke. And you are correct, he was looking a really good goalscorer. One of those poachers that always appears in the right place... such a shame.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Suprised no mention of Gillanza, or however u spelt it.. Now he was raw talent. Shame he got a terrible injury just when he was on true goalscoring form for us. Anyone remember how mnay goals he got in such little games starting for us?? When he came back Worthington was quick to give him the boot. Great shame :([/quote]Ditto that

[quote][quote user="Michael Bates"]Suprised no mention of Gillanza, or however u spelt it.. Now he was raw talent. Shame he got a terrible injury just when he was on true goalscoring form for us. Anyone remember how mnay goals he got in such little games starting for us?? When he came back Worthington was quick to give him the boot. Great shame :([/quote]Ditto that[/quote]He was actually scoring 1 or 2 goals when he did get the boot.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Suprised no mention of Gillanza, or however u spelt it.. Now he was raw talent. Shame he got a terrible injury just when he was on true goalscoring form for us. Anyone remember how mnay goals he got in such little games starting for us?? When he came back Worthington was quick to give him the boot. Great shame :([/quote]

He scored 2 goals in 15 league appearances.

He ended up playing for Darlington a couple of seasons back.

Zema Abbey almost ran me over on Ber street once.... bright sunny day and he whizzed round the corner far to fast... had to break hard... still i shouldnt of worried, from just yards away he still would have missed!

jas :)

[quote user="The Fuehrer with a Pound Shop Keyboard"][quote][quote user="Michael Bates"]Suprised no mention of Gillanza, or however u spelt it.. Now he was raw talent. Shame he got a terrible injury just when he was on true goalscoring form for us. Anyone remember how mnay goals he got in such little games starting for us?? When he came back Worthington was quick to give him the boot. Great shame :([/quote]

Ditto that
[/quote]

He was actually scoring 1 or 2 goals when he did get the boot.
[/quote]

went on to play in spain and scored the winner against the mighty Real Madrid after being released by us no less... now plays back in Switzerland.

[quote user="glove1"]i always thought anselin was a good player (for div one football!)[/quote]

He used to puff on about 40 cigs a day, a very eccentric character like many a frenchman before him!

He is still only 32, yet at 19 he was playing alongside Zinedine Zidane in the Uefa Cup final and was a France Under 21 player at he time!

He came out and admitted that he had a nervous breakdown whilst with us in the Evening News once.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="glove1"]i always thought anselin was a good player (for div one football!)[/quote]

He used to puff on about 40 cigs a day, a very eccentric character like many a frenchman before him!

He is still only 32, yet at 19 he was playing alongside Zinedine Zidane in the Uefa Cup final and was a France Under 21 player at he time!

He came out and admitted that he had a nervous breakdown whilst with us in the Evening News once.

[/quote]Its a shame because both him and de Blasis were very very good players. Rioch is a manager I would be more than happy to have back at Norwich - I seem to remember that he left as he was asked to work with a squad of 18 senior pros. A very capable manager at least at this level.

I''m sure I remember him scoring 2 or 3 in a re-arranged league cup game at Blackpool that we won 5-0 in about 2000ish - he looked quite useful that night.

Michael Bates wrote:

Suprised no mention of Gillanza, or however u spelt it.. Now he was raw talent. Shame he got a terrible injury just when he was on true goalscoring form for us. Anyone remember how mnay goals he got in such little games starting for us?? When he came back Worthington was quick to give him the boot. Great shame :(

He scored 2 goals in 15 league appearances.

He ended up playing for Darlington a couple of seasons back.

Was responding to this so meant Giallanza not Abbey or Nielsen (look good at Grimsby, fantastic when on loan and then woeful when signed!)

I saw Abbey play up front for Forest Green at York about 3 or 4 seasons back.  York won 5-0, with a hat-trick from Andy Bishop, and not only did Abbey not get a sniff at goal, but he didn''t even look like he wanted one...  A lower-league gamble that never truly looked like paying off... and subsequently didn''t.  His injuries didn''t deprive us his talent, they simply made it slightly less embarassing for him and probably resulted in him staying at the club longer than if he''d have got the chance to show us ''what he can do''...........Sorry to be so down on him, but I never understood why people liked someone who, to me, was always so utterly shit and eventually proved to be so....

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]I saw Abbey play up front for Forest Green at York about 3 or 4 seasons back.  York won 5-0, with a hat-trick from Andy Bishop, and not only did Abbey not get a sniff at goal, but he didn''t even look like he wanted one...  A lower-league gamble that never truly looked like paying off... and subsequently didn''t.  His injuries didn''t deprive us his talent, they simply made it slightly less embarassing for him and probably resulted in him staying at the club longer than if he''d have got the chance to show us ''what he can do''...........

Sorry to be so down on him, but I never understood why people liked someone who, to me, was always so utterly shit and eventually proved to be so....
[/quote]

Abbey was shockingly crap but funnily enough we probably owe him our promotion to the premiership... With Neilsen having been given the elbow it was clear Worhty was going to stick with Iwan and Zema up front... this clearly wasn''t working and i was at the away game against sheffield United when Zema got injured again... the fact we were down to Just Iwan, Hendo and McVeigh forced Worthingtons hand.. he needed to bring in 2 strikers to replace the Departed Neilsen and the crocked Abbey...

Cue Hucks and Crouchy.....

Thank you Zema Abbey....