Sign in to follow this  
Rich T (no not the biscuit!!)

Gunn, the Players and forthcoming season?

There seems to be a lot of posters on here who have already written off our chances of achieving anything next season, the squads not good enough, the manager is rubbish, the board will never find anyone to invest, at what point do we believe that they have a point and at which point should they allow the calendar to get to before ranting on.

Clearly I''m not gonna name names, I only asked a question about a certain poster and got accused of being a "fool", a "delia worshipper" and got told that I had been slagging people off by fellow "doom-merchants" so I''ll leave it as a lot of posters!!

This is a simple question and not supposed to cause aggression or abuse.

I for one am prepared to give Gunny the time to bring some players in, we haven''t started pre-season training yet, so there is still plenty of time.

I personally (my view only) that we aren''t in too bad a shape and only really need a goalkeeper and a big centre forward as a must, with the addition of some wide-men.

What does everyone else think?

I have to say that if we get Doyle, a new right winger and a striker then we seem in pretty good shape. I think Clingan will go (and if so the sooner the better so we can use the funds for a striker) but I am hopeful Hooly will still be about and at this level a player like him will be great.

Still need four or five more players for the squad ..... and that just shows what Gunn had to work with when he took over and the quality of the squad we have at the moment. The signings that have been made look good, we just need more of the same .... big centre forward, right winger, right back, goalkeeper and more cover.

Hope we can do it without loans!

With a bit of cash spent from the sale of Clingan (if he ever goes!) I would say the squad will be competitive on an individual basis.Whether Gunn and co can mould a TEAM that performs, and whether they can manage the tactics is another thing entirely though.

Gunn should never have applied for the job , the sooner he takes himself off somewhere other than this football club the better .

[quote user="Gunns NO Legend"]Gunn should never have applied for the job , the sooner he takes himself off somewhere other than this football club the better .
[/quote]

And bring who in?

[quote user="GunnsSTILLLegend"]Gunn should never have applied for the job , the sooner he takes himself off somewhere other than this football club the better .[/quote]As much as i think personal insults are completely innapropriate and should be regarded as completely childish on these forums,fcuk you, you useless miserable tosser.

[quote user="Gunns NO Legend"]Gunn should never have applied for the job , the sooner he takes himself off somewhere other than this football club the better .
[/quote]

Ever since i started going on here (not very long) i''ve always wondered how you can have your name as ''gunns no legend''. He was a top, top ''keeper and he''s always had the club at heart. With the team we had last year, and the situation we were in after Rodent''s sacking, any manager would have struggled to keep us in the championship. Give him time and if we are not doing too well next year then maybe think about a new gaffer but it''s unfair to complain and judge him at the minute.

Personally I think we need 6 or 7 players still.

A goalkeeper

A right back

A left back (Drury is still injury prone)

A right winger

A left winger (well i would like huckerby)

A striker

And...... if Clingan and Russell leave (as is suspected) I would want at least another centre mid in.

The reason I said four or five was that I was hopeful that, at last, we would get something coming up through the ranks.

If we think about it, it is still sad that we have to get at least 9 or 10 extra players in from last season just to get a workable squad. Shows what has been going on before Gunn and what a difficult job it is for him, and would have been for any manager.

Gunny is going about repairing the damage from Roeder''s spell here the right way. He''s brought in 3 good permenent signings, found a potential gem in Cody McDonald (a player i''m thinking of putting a cheeky bet on to win the league 1 golden boot next season), he''s shown his willing to give our academy boys a chance (signing Spillane and Rudd to new deals and giving Korey Smith and Luke Daley 1st team run outs) our squad isn''t quite the finished article yet but IMO it''s a great improvement from last season.

We need at least 3 more permanent players in and maybe a loan GK if we manage to keep the bulk of the current side together (exc Clingan). Then after that imo it''s going to be a case of whoever leaves is going to need a direct replacement brought in. I guess the main players for me who might possibly leave would be Doherty, Cureton, Hoolahan and Russell. so if those all went it''ll be more like needing 7 permanent players in.