Sign in to follow this  
AndyJR

I suppose it was too much to ask for a terrestial Channel to have bought them..........

Not that I''m even slightly surprised. Cricket, Football - to think it''s about the Supporters.  Should have known better really.........

ESPN buys rights to Setanta games

Breaking News

ESPN has bought the rights to show 46

games in next season''s English Premier League that were to have been

shown by struggling broadcaster Setanta.

Disney-owned ESPN

has won the two packages of games shown on Saturday teatimes and Monday

evenings. It says both will be sold through BSkyB.

It has also won the 23 games per season Setanta was due to show from 2010-13.

The league took the broadcasting rights back from Setanta on Friday after it missed a payment deadline.

The Premier League had set a deadline of Monday for other broadcasters to submit offers for the games.

"ESPN

have a formidable worldwide reputation and experience in sports and I

am sure we will enjoy a long and fruitful relationship with them," said

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore.

"I would like

to thank ESPN, as well as all the other broadcasters who submitted

bids, for their professionalism and effort in engaging in our sales

process at such short notice."

Russell Wolff, managing director

of ESPN International, said: "This move demonstrates our commitment to

British sports fans and our ongoing commitment to delivering football

to fans around the world across a variety of media."

Top 100 Posts

Joined on 16/10/2007

Posts 2,666

I suppose it was too much to ask for a terrestial Channel to have bought them..........

Yes it wasCrying [:''(]

Neither the BBC or ITV could afford it!F1 and retaining the Open golf, Wimbledon etc has wiped out the BBC''s sport budget, they are also ringfencing an amount so they can get test cricket back next Summer when the deal with Sky expires.ITV are so short of money they have had to axe "Primevel" to save the pennies! Plus their contract with the FA and for the Champions League is stretching them so much, they may let one or the other go to the BBC when rights come up again.

I hope this means the games will be on ESPN or one of it''s various versions, in the US.  Setanta costs extra from my cable, so I''d only get it if I knew they were showing a Norwich match, but with us in League 1, chances of that are about 0.

Actually, with my buddy''s Newcastle down, I won''t have much reason to watch Prem at all.  But when NCFC is back in the Prem in 2 years, I want to be able to see as many games as I got to last time we were up.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

I hope this means the games will be on ESPN or one of it''s various versions, in the US.  Setanta costs extra from my cable, so I''d only get it if I knew they were showing a Norwich match, but with us in League 1, chances of that are about 0.

Actually, with my buddy''s Newcastle down, I won''t have much reason to watch Prem at all.  But when NCFC is back in the Prem in 2 years, I want to be able to see as many games as I got to last time we were up.

[/quote]No Americas prem rights are still with Fox Soccer channel. This deal is about the british rights, because ESPN want to launch a british channel. American rights are sold seperatley.

ESPN comes free with Sky sports though doesn''t it? so its not an extra extra thing, as long as you have sky sports :P

This is awful. ESPN''s treatment of football here in the US is terrible. Tommy Smyth, JP Dellacamra and Alexi Lalas make my ears bleed. Pray they hire some talent to call the matches. Pray hard.

[quote user="king canary"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]
No Americas prem rights are still with Fox Soccer channel. This deal is about the british rights, because ESPN want to launch a british channel. American rights are sold seperatley.
[/quote]

Setanta must have some of the soccer rights in the US, because they show Prem games live, and not the same ones as Fox Soccer Channel. But FSC comes with expanded basic cable on many systems.  Setanta doesn''t on the ones I know of, and is not even available for an extra fee on some of the satelllite services.

But thanks for the clarification re" ESPN starting up in Britain and being separate from US service. 

NYCanary, their coverage of US soccer is not THAT bad. 

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="king canary"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]
No Americas prem rights are still with Fox Soccer channel. This deal is about the british rights, because ESPN want to launch a british channel. American rights are sold seperatley.
[/quote]

Setanta must have some of the soccer rights in the US, because they show Prem games live, and not the same ones as Fox Soccer Channel. But FSC comes with expanded basic cable on many systems.  Setanta doesn''t on the ones I know of, and is not even available for an extra fee on some of the satelllite services.

But thanks for the clarification re" ESPN starting up in Britain and being separate from US service. 

NYCanary, their coverage of US soccer is not THAT bad. 

[/quote]

Houston, Tommy Smyth is a matchkiller. I usually hit mute if he''s on. Just listening to the Sky/Setanta feeds is so much better. This deal won''t affect us at all... they have not yet sold/divvied up Setanta''s US rights yet, but it seems academic that ESPN will swoop for those as well.

Why is it all of the sudden I cannot "quote" properly? I know it must be frustrating to see that block of text that is supposed to be a quote. It is for me. Any ideas out there?

I refused to pay extra for Setanta on top of my Sky subscription, and I''m not going to pay extra for ESPN.