Sign in to follow this  
When Saturday Comes

Old Season Highlight Videos

Following on from Wiz''s post about this years highlights DVD, it got me thinking again about my old videos from the late 80''s/early 90''s. I emailed Will Hoy at the club a few months ago to see if they had any plans to re-release these on DVD format, as I''m sure most fans would buy them to replace their videos.

Surprise, surprise, he said it would be too much of an outlay without a guaranteed return. I argued that most fans would probably want, at the very least, the 92/93 & 93/94 highlights on DVD. He did say it had been considered though.

So for the past hour I have been scrambling around in the loft digging out my old videos and VHS machine and will shortly be settling down to watch our opening day comeback at Arsenal, Mark Robins hat-trick at Oldham, UEFA Qualification..........etc.

Anyone agree that this would be a good idea? Or if any technical wizards (I''m rubbish with that stuff) have said videos on DVD format could they respond or PM me as I''d love to do business!

[:)]

I think it''d be a good idea!

I''d buy them, as my vids are wearing a bit now!

I''d love to know if the club have an archive of all their matches?

Late 70''s/early 80''s stuff!

The only highlights vid I never got was the one with Eadie on the front after scoring

vs the Scum!

OTBC!

I have stacks of old City vids and would love them on DVD, including the Chase Out days (with me on them!) and I would certainly buy them.

I think maybe box-set DVDs of the old season reviews would be good, I''ve got all the late-80s/early 90s ones on video, plus 2002/03 on DVD and 03/04 and 04/05 on video - a lot of them are virtually impossible to find now so to have them all re-released on DVD in  box-set or something like that would be good I think, and I''m sure a compilation of our more successful seasons would prove popular.

[quote user="The Undertaker"]

Following on from Wiz''s post about this years highlights DVD, it got me thinking again about my old videos from the late 80''s/early 90''s. I emailed Will Hoy at the club a few months ago to see if they had any plans to re-release these on DVD format, as I''m sure most fans would buy them to replace their videos.

Surprise, surprise, he said it would be too much of an outlay without a guaranteed return. I argued that most fans would probably want, at the very least, the 92/93 & 93/94 highlights on DVD. He did say it had been considered though.

So for the past hour I have been scrambling around in the loft digging out my old videos and VHS machine and will shortly be settling down to watch our opening day comeback at Arsenal, Mark Robins hat-trick at Oldham, UEFA Qualification..........etc.

Anyone agree that this would be a good idea? Or if any technical wizards (I''m rubbish with that stuff) have said videos on DVD format could they respond or PM me as I''d love to do business!

[/quote]

Too much of an outlay! I wonder what David McNally would think about that, im sure he would see the potential revenues..... They could stick two seasons on each disc, and do it by decade... so the season 1990/91 - 99/2000, then release a box set of 2000/01 - 2009/10 at the end of the coming season....... thats only 5 discs, and they could do a bonus disc for each, people like Fleck, Goss and Co talking about the seasons..... They could then consider doing a 1980/81 - 1989/90 one if they prove popular....

I bet they could sell them for £50 a pop..... it wouldnt cost anymore than £6 or £7 each to make 1000 of them......

Talk about being short sighted!  I have hardly any of them and dont own a video player, so I would buy them both for a start!  In fact, they could even take pre orders on the basis that they wouldnt produce them unless a certain amount were ordered e.g. 500 or whatever amount they need to make a decent profit.

The club is quick to ask for free money, but arent prepared to try and earn that money. Plenty of people would spend £100 on two dvd boxsets of 20 years of football highlights, as opposed to gifting their rebates to the club and buying overpriced shares......

I like the idea of season boxsets! Apologies, my memory must be a little blurred as they didn''t really mention cost specifically. This is the email repsonse I had from the club in February -

Hello Craig

Thank you for your email and yes, it''s something we do have in mind.

I''ve forwarded this on to our retail buyer, Lisa Stewart, who is going to make further investigations. One of the biggest stumbling blocks for us is having to order quite high minimum quantities e.g. 500. This would be a considerable commitment for us, if we can negotiate smaller quantities the decision will be a lot easier.

So in short, I will leave this with Lisa and let you know of any progress.

With best wishes

OTBC

Will

[quote user="First Wizard"]

I have stacks of old City vids and would love them on DVD, including the Chase Out days (with me on them!) and I would certainly buy them.

[/quote]

You know what they say about pride?

Expect you feel really vindicated these days, eh Wiz?

OTBC

[/quote]

For god sake dont watch it. Last time i did  was about two years ago and it left me completely depressed at how good our football was back then and how crap it was a few years ago. Let alone what it''s like now.

[/quote]

But what did you expect?

This is all BD.

Dear oh dear.

OTBC

Great idea, you can get them converted yourself though.

I''ve been making it my mission to get each season review video of the seasons I have supported the club. I currently own;

Centenary Vid

Golden Goals Collection

92/93; 93/94, 94/95, 95/96, 96/97, 97/98, 98/99, 99/00, 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, 04/05

So still hunting for;

03/04, 05/06, 06/07, 07/08 and last season.

[quote user="Blainsey"]

I''ve been making it my mission to get each season review video of the seasons I have supported the club. I currently own;

Centenary Vid

Golden Goals Collection

92/93; 93/94, 94/95, 95/96, 96/97, 97/98, 98/99, 99/00, 00/01, 01/02, 02/03, 04/05

So still hunting for;

[/quote]

Surely you could still get 07/08 from the club shop?

If you can convert them, and you nearly own them all, then why not do it yourself and flog them to people on here for a few quid a disc?

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Blainsey"]

Centenary Vid

Golden Goals Collection

So still hunting for;

[/quote]

If you can convert them, and you nearly own them all, then why not do it yourself and flog them to people on here for a few quid a disc?

[/quote]

I have done this (well except the selling them bit) as I have all the season reviews (1988/89 - date) and most, if not all the specials (such as Iwan and Gunn).  If anyone is in need of any pm me and we may be able to do a deal.

The one Video I am missing and would really like to get is the Milk Cup Final one that was re-issued during the centinary.

[quote user="Beatle"]

I think it''d be a good idea!

I''d buy them, as my vids are wearing a bit now!

I''d love to know if the club have an archive of all their matches?

Late 70''s/early 80''s stuff!

The only highlights vid I never got was the one with Eadie on the front after scoring

vs the Scum!

OTBC!

[/quote]

They dont. They normally ask Anglia TV for stuff.

[quote user="Ren"][quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Blainsey"]

Centenary Vid

Golden Goals Collection

So still hunting for;

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have done this (well except the selling them bit) as I have all the season reviews (1988/89 - date) and most, if not all the specials (such as Iwan and Gunn).  If anyone is in need of any pm me and we may be able to do a deal.

The one Video I am missing and would really like to get is the Milk Cup Final one that was re-issued during the centinary.

[/quote]

I''ve Pm''ed you Ren, very interested.

For something that will never really go out of date (at least until DVD is deemed obsolete), I don''t think 500 minimum order is a valid excuse.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="The Undertaker"]

[/quote]

Too much of an outlay! I wonder what David McNally would think about that, im sure he would see the potential revenues..... They could stick two seasons on each disc, and do it by decade... so the season 1990/91 - 99/2000, then release a box set of 2000/01 - 2009/10 at the end of the coming season....... thats only 5 discs, and they could do a bonus disc for each, people like Fleck, Goss and Co talking about the seasons..... They could then consider doing a 1980/81 - 1989/90 one if they prove popular....

I bet they could sell them for £50 a pop..... it wouldnt cost anymore than £6 or £7 each to make 1000 of them......

Talk about being short sighted!  I have hardly any of them and dont own a video player, so I would buy them both for a start!  In fact, they could even take pre orders on the basis that they wouldnt produce them unless a certain amount were ordered e.g. 500 or whatever amount they need to make a decent profit.

The club is quick to ask for free money, but arent prepared to try and earn that money. Plenty of people would spend £100 on two dvd boxsets of 20 years of football highlights, as opposed to gifting their rebates to the club and buying overpriced shares......

[/quote]

This would be very hard to do as there is very little footage around from this period as there was a TV blackout for large periods around this time.  I have little or no footage from our 2nd Div title win in 1985/86 as I think very few games around this time had cameras at them. 

Surely they could either do a ''Golden Years'' collection, with a number of the classic seasons from years gone by, or a similar compilation - highlights from some of the key games, etc... I reckon some kind of Golden Years of NCFC DVD would do good business, even with those, like me, who rarely by the season reviews.... a bit of nostalgia to set us up for the coming years.... [:)]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Surely they could either do a ''Golden Years'' collection, with a number of the classic seasons from years gone by, or a similar compilation - highlights from some of the key games, etc... I reckon some kind of Golden Years of NCFC DVD would do good business, even with those, like me, who rarely by the season reviews.... a bit of nostalgia to set us up for the coming years.... [:)]
[/quote]

http://www.visionsport.co.uk/sportsshop/norwich.html 

There are already two "Canary Classic" dvds out already.  See club shop or above.

They have had on their site for ages coming soon "Norwich City - match of the 70''s and 90''s", but not sure when they are due to come out, if ever!

Maybe if a few more people bought the Canary Classic''s dvds NCFC might have a bit more desire to put out a bit more on DVD.

DVD''s can be ordered in any number, and the case slips similar.  There will be price breaks at certain points, probably 500, 1000 etc to encourage higher quantities procured from the start.I would love to see a Norwich City history box set containing titles mentioned in this thread, inserted into a well designed and manufactured box set.  I am sure it would sell, particularly around Christmas.  Given our fan base, 500 would sell no problem, I appreciate it''s risk-publishing but a low risk surely.

But you all still don''t get it.

Most of what you''re after is BD - in those horrible ChaseSouthanWatling years.

Car boot sales are far more up our street these days.

Just think. What proportion of one week of Cureton''s wages would it take to do what you (the fans) want??????

Deary me.

OTBC

DVD''s of 1992/93 annd 1993/94 eh????

i might know of somehwere where you can get them undertaker...

send a Pm my way my good man....

jas :)

I like the idea of season boxsets! Apologies, my memory must be a little blurred as they didn''t really mention cost specifically. This is the email repsonse I had from the club in February -

Hello Craig

I''ve forwarded this on to our retail buyer, Lisa Stewart, who is going to make further investigations. One of the biggest stumbling blocks for us is having to order quite high minimum quantities e.g. 500. This would be a considerable commitment for us, if we can negotiate smaller quantities the decision will be a lot easier.

With best wishes

OTBC

Will
[/quote]I''m guessing that it must have been Lisa''s day off when the ok was given for half the cra, er, rubbish that they sell in the club shop.

[quote user="Yellow Submarine"]I''m sorry. But i''m no mathmatical genius. But aren''t you talking pennies to make dvd''s? 500 units isn''t exactly a massive out lay is it?[/quote]

Agreed, thats why they give them away with newspapers.  The footage is already there, just need to be put onto DVD.

By the way I helped the Undertaker with his DVD requirements, if anyone else needs anything pm me.

[quote user="claud"][quote user="The Undertaker"]

Hello Craig

With best wishes

OTBC

Will

[/quote]

I''m guessing that it must have been Lisa''s day off when the ok was given for half the cra, er, rubbish that they sell in the club shop.

[/quote]

LMFAO!!