Sign in to follow this  
JuanVelasco

Chris Martin

Do well next year, or flop next year?

What do we all think? I have a feeling that he will do well.............

Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum will come back to show everybody how much of a cock Mr Roeder really was.

Adam Drury at centre back, Daryl Russell up front...... they were insulted big time and have a point to prove.

He soon got sussed at Championship level though yoss.

I''m not saying he wont get shout, i just think we''ll end up signing at least 1 new striker and with Cody & Jamie probably ahead of him in the pecking order, I can''t see him figuring much without a sudden loss of form or injuries. i do hope i''m wrong though

He''ll do alright, won''t set the world alight but shouldbag us a few goals, whether or not he gets much of a look in depends on how our new signings turn out (not holding my breath on any of them) and whether Cody lives up to his promise.  Problem is with Martin is that he''s a decent enough striker but not the sort of player you can really see leading a team, he needs good service to be effective, and we''ll have to wait to see whether he''ll have it.

[quote user="Sideshow Tim"]He soon got sussed at Championship level though yoss.[/quote]

Most 18 year olds would dip off on form though wouldnt they? Look at Theo Walcott, terrible for 2 years, just starting to become consistantly effective at 21.

He is now 20, many players dont even break into first team until around that age, and he has just played about 50 games for Luton......

I for one will be glad to have him back in the team, especially for League One football as he was maybe a bit young for Championship football when he came through but now has that experience of hard lower league football now whilst still being young. If Hoolahan stays he should get the good service he needs and I think he could become quite the poacher, there is good quality there though as we saw with his finish in the Johnstons Paint Final. Write him off at your perril, he could be the suprise of the season.

To me, the lad''s like a fresh new signing. Did well at Luton getting planrty of gamers under his belt, scoring a few goals and even picking up a trophy. Should''ve had him back in the squad earlier if it wasn''t for Rodent, but then he wouldn''t have had quite as many starts and wouldn''t have had a Wembley win on his CV. It''s a big season for him, but I think he''ll come shining through in League one.

I can see him getting a few games on the right, where he played a bit for Luton. Only as back up though.

He''ll do alright, but nothing special in my books.

I sincerely hope that he comes good. He strikes me as one of those people that doesnt really deserve the success, but still...... we are in desperate need of some talent, which he clearly has.

Hopefully he has matured a bit. In fairness to the lad, he came into the team at 18, scored the goals that kept us up (with Hucks it should be noted), and was linked to Man Utd........ its easy to see how somebody that young would find it hard to deal with the pressure and go off the boil.

Micky Harford has obviously taken him under his wing and shown him the respect that he deserves (and no doubt the criticism that he deserves too!), I think he will do just fine as long as one of the current team (Butterworth, Crook or Gunn) can do a similar thing for him here.

No matter what you say, and you could argue that the loan was good for him, he would have been a better option last season than Killen, Koroma, Sibierski and dare I say it....... Cureton.

Im not sitting here saying that the he is world class or will play for England or anything like that whatsoever, Im just saying that as things stand....... and with Cureton and Renton as our other pro strikers........ he is the best we have got at the club up front. If anything he is a pretty good league one player or an average championship player with potential.

He deserves a chance to show what he can do in pre-season and then we can judge him on that evidence.  He has the advantage of having quite a bit of experience in lower league football now and will hopefully see his return as the ideal opportunity to prove he was not a half season wonder.  I doubt he will score 20+ for us this coming season but he ought to add some options and competition to the squad.

Would sort of like him to be given a chance as he seemed to do alright for Luton and could be a useful player. Im not sure if him and Cody would be brilliant upfront together.

Have to say though I am interested to see how our strikeforce ends up for next season. Obviously Cureton is still around and doesnt look like he is going anywhere and I did slate him last season but who knows he could be useful next season. And Feeney may be coming in again so may have a little competition up front. As mentioned on here a few days ago it has all gone quite on the alan lee front alltogether so hopefully we can still bring him in

I really don''t know why people think Cody is so good. He doesn''t seem to have much more than pace about him- finishing looks worse than Cureton. Martin would be first choice striker atm for me.

[quote user="Yellow Shirt"]I really don''t know why people think Cody is so good. He doesn''t seem to have much more than pace about him- finishing looks worse than Cureton. Martin would be first choice striker atm for me.
[/quote]

so his debut goal, would have been taken better by Curo!!!

We''ve all seen Cureton put them away with deft touches and aplomb before too- more than once. I''m sorry- Cody has a lot to learn, if he even can. He is fairly quick, but thats about all I''ve seen.

I hope Chris Martin does do well for us but it''s up to him to earn his chance, prove himself and maintain form.

He''s something about him as a player but he still needs to put in a lot of hard work.

I''d have him ahead of Cureton but possibly not ahead of Cody just because Cody has the pace to worry defenders that neither of the other two have.

Don''t think Roeder is a cock for sending Spillane and Martin on loan to Luton, probably one of the best things he has done whilst he was at Norwich giving both Martin and Spillane first team experience in a red-hot environment.

I expect both to come back and perform, Spillane in the first team and Martin as back-up (sub appearances) but working hard to gain first team.

If the loan season has made martin mature off the field as well as on it he''ll be a useful asset to the squad.  If he still acts like a dipstick out on a night then get rid

Hopefully Chris Martin can find some form this year, which I believe he did at Luton, and give Team Gunn some selection problems of the nice kind; in other words, who to leave out. I think every team needs at least 4, if not five strikers, all pushing for those precious two team places.

I''d like to see Cody MacDonald as 1st choice playing off a big target man. Mcdonald worried teams when he played last year, i remember Spurr of Sheff Wed and Duberry of Reading simply having to resort to hacking him to try and stop him.

As i''ve said before i''m thinking about putting money on Cody to win the League 1 golden boot next season.

As for Martin, i think he''s going to be handy to have in the side, let''s hope he can come back from Luton a better player.

Spoke to a Luton season ticket holder the other week. He said Martin was very hit and miss for them. Fair play he was their top scorer with 14 goals, but in League 2 he scored 10goals in 40-odd games, one in 4 at L2 level aint great. A sub at best for me. Give Cody his chance....

PS he did say Spillane was very solid and would do a job at L1 level

Id like to see Martin and Mcdonald partner each other. Martins burst onto the scene wasn''t just luck, some of those goals were incredible - that one against derby where it outwardly curved into the near bottom corner sticks in my mind. If he can do that once he can do it again, its just attitude. Maybe the partnership wouldn''t work, but it would be nice to see. I think cody can do well too at this level. fingers crossed.

[quote user="cockers85"]

Spoke to a Luton season ticket holder the other week. He said Martin was very hit and miss for them. Fair play he was their top scorer with 14 goals, but in League 2 he scored 10goals in 40-odd games, one in 4 at L2 level aint great. A sub at best for me. Give Cody his chance....

PS he did say Spillane was very solid and would do a job at L1 level

[/quote]

Did your mate also tell you that Chris Martin played a hell of a lot of those games on the right wing? To play nearly half of his games on the right, and still end up top scorer, over people like Sam Parkin...... means that he cant be half bad hey?

[quote user="refjezhitchin"]

Don''t think Roeder is a cock for sending Spillane and Martin on loan to Luton, probably one of the best things he has done whilst he was at Norwich giving both Martin and Spillane first team experience in a red-hot environment.

I expect both to come back and perform, Spillane in the first team and Martin as back-up (sub appearances) but working hard to gain first team.

[/quote]

Some of our worst results and worst performances last season came as a result of playing a right back or a left back in central defence, or Daryl Russell as a lone striker!

Now, I understand that a loan to Luton has done wonders for their development and will make them better players this season, but with us finishing 5 points away from safety last season...... I believe that Chris Martins goals and a back up centre back that can head a ball, would have been worth at least 5 points last year.

So sorry but I must disagree.

[quote user="city till i die"]

how many times didnt he get send off for luton???quite a few times!!

we dont need another russell in the squad,

[/quote]

He got sent off ONCE in FIFTY games.