Sign in to follow this  
Canary Crusade 1959

Letter the EDP refused to print

It was with a certain amount of intrigue and interest that I read the following letters printed in the EDP over the course of the past two days:-

1)  Astute choice, now let''s hope for more

A letter written by Mike Reynolds  of the Norwich City Supporters Trust congratulating the Directors of Norwich City Football Club on obtaining the services of Mr David McNally as the new Chief Executive and criticising the antagonism which the same Directors have been receiving from certain quarters as unacceptable 

The letter consisted of 185 words and was almost entirely a re-production of a statement issued by Norwich City Supporters Trust printed within an article entitled "Trust''s message to fans" on page 35 of the EDP the same day (16 June)

2) Share purchase idea good for football

A letter written by Tim East of Norwich City Supporters Trust outlining the aims of the group in acquiring shares in Norwich City Football Club and in particular the possible representation of a member being elected to the club''s Board and requesting those season ticket holders who have a mind to do so to donate their rebates to the Supporters Trust

This letter consisted of 312 words and appeared to have been re-produced in full (17 June)

The reason for my intrigue and interest lies in the fact that I recently forwarded a letter to the EDP asking the Editor to kindly consider printing it but I received a reply indicating that my request to have it re-produced in full could not be entertained and that the right to edit had to be reserved

My letter was a follows:-

The issuing of 18000 odd "begging" letters by Football Club Director Michael Foulger provides further confirmation of the pathetic mess that Mr & Mrs Michael Wynn-Jones have made in running their "little old Norwich City"

Not since the Re-Election to the Football League, the Lord Mayor''s Appeal and the Blanket Collections of 1957 has our club been in such a shambolic state both on and off the pitch - an almost entirely asset stripped playing squad and a dire financial position involving debts of over £20M and rising

This is despite the Custodians having had hitherto unprecedented levels of resources at their disposal i.e. Premiership Income, Parachute Payments, Share Receipts, Land Sales, Loan Monies, Legacy Funds, Season Ticket/Gate Receipts, Net Transfer Fees and Other Income including of course "Lots of lovely New Investment" as revealed at last years Royal Norfolk Show

How this sorry state of affairs has been allowed to occur - one can but only speculate - has it actually been by design or has it been as a result of sheer incompetence?

Either way - as a supporter and follower of the Canaries since the early 1950''s - I find it heartbreaking to see our once great club - reduced to a laughing stock- within the wider soccer public of East Anglia and beyond

Regretfully - like Mr Gordon Brown and his Cabinet Colleagues in Government - Mr & Mrs Wynn-Jones and the remnants of the Norwich City Board of Directors - appear unashamedly determined to remain in power - despite overwhelming evidence of failure

What a disaster and an utter disgrace

This letter consists of 253 words ! ! !

Thank you to whoever takes the time and trouble to read this post - I feel a lot better now ! ! !

I have bothered and as one who has been a supporter since 1959 I totally agree with your sentiments.

There has over the last few weeks been many letters printed by the EDP in favour of the club and board.

This either means that the paper picks its letters carefully or not many anti''s bother to write or those against are in the minority.

As I have yet to find many pro board out there I can only assume it must be selective.

Good first post by the way.

Excellent post - I''ve experienced the same problem and can only assume the EDP are generally supportive of Delia and her board members. They condone her four years of failure and will continue to do so.

[quote user="Canary Crusade 1959"]

It was with a certain amount of intrigue and interest that I read the following letters printed in the EDP over the course of the past two days:-

A letter written by Mike Reynolds  of the Norwich City Supporters Trust congratulating the Directors of Norwich City Football Club on obtaining the services of Mr David McNally as the new Chief Executive and criticising the antagonism which the same Directors have been receiving from certain quarters as unacceptable 

The letter consisted of 185 words and was almost entirely a re-production of a statement issued by Norwich City Supporters Trust printed within an article entitled "Trust''s message to fans" on page 35 of the EDP the same day (16 June)

A letter written by Tim East of Norwich City Supporters Trust outlining the aims of the group in acquiring shares in Norwich City Football Club and in particular the possible representation of a member being elected to the club''s Board and requesting those season ticket holders who have a mind to do so to donate their rebates to the Supporters Trust

This letter consisted of 312 words and appeared to have been re-produced in full (17 June)

The reason for my intrigue and interest lies in the fact that I recently forwarded a letter to the EDP asking the Editor to kindly consider printing it but I received a reply indicating that my request to have it re-produced in full could not be entertained and that the right to edit had to be reserved

The issuing of 18000 odd "begging" letters by Football Club Director Michael Foulger provides further confirmation of the pathetic mess that Mr & Mrs Michael Wynn-Jones have made in running their "little old Norwich City"

Not since the Re-Election to the Football League, the Lord Mayor''s Appeal and the Blanket Collections of 1957 has our club been in such a shambolic state both on and off the pitch - an almost entirely asset stripped playing squad and a dire financial position involving debts of over £20M and rising

This is despite the Custodians having had hitherto unprecedented levels of resources at their disposal i.e. Premiership Income, Parachute Payments, Share Receipts, Land Sales, Loan Monies, Legacy Funds, Season Ticket/Gate Receipts, Net Transfer Fees and Other Income including of course "Lots of lovely New Investment" as revealed at last years Royal Norfolk Show

How this sorry state of affairs has been allowed to occur - one can but only speculate - has it actually been by design or has it been as a result of sheer incompetence?

Either way - as a supporter and follower of the Canaries since the early 1950''s - I find it heartbreaking to see our once great club - reduced to a laughing stock- within the wider soccer public of East Anglia and beyond

Regretfully - like Mr Gordon Brown and his Cabinet Colleagues in Government - Mr & Mrs Wynn-Jones and the remnants of the Norwich City Board of Directors - appear unashamedly determined to remain in power - despite overwhelming evidence of failure

Thank you to whoever takes the time and trouble to read this post - I feel a lot better now ! ! !

[/quote]Bet Mike Reynolds'' face will look like he''s chewing a wasp when he reads that.  You know full well this kind of opinion is not helpful.[;)]

Everything you said is spot on.As news of new signings and board members come through, the despair has slowly begun to change to optimism in some quarters, it seems that the initial anger of relegation has turned to acceptance for a lot of people.This isn''t a good thing - the board shouldn''t be given the chance to ''put things right'', because we never should have gotten into this situation in the first place... the problem is, it''s difficult to maintain that anger in the close season when the club are apparently trying to rebuild and clearly, there''s not a lot we can do anyway.

Can I assume that "right to edit" in fact meant nothing was actually printed at all?  It appears that the EDP are trying to keep in the clubs ''good books'' for whatever reaon.  Exactly the opposite stance taken to the EADT who were possibly over antagonistic towards ITFC last season. 

When you see it all written down it really does look bad doesn''t it? Things have gone so badly wrong haven''t they? - But when will we reach our turning point? Maybe we have and don''t know it yet... What will be the spark to get us going in the way we used to? How can we get our Norwich City back to where it belongs?

[quote user="The Chirp"]When you see it all written down it really does look bad doesn''t it?

Things have gone so badly wrong haven''t they? - But when will we reach our turning point? Maybe we have and don''t know it yet... What will be the spark to get us going in the way we used to?

How can we get our Norwich City back to where it belongs?
[/quote]

Remove the common denominator ever present since our downward spiral....Michael Wynn-Jones and Delia Smith

I''m not sure what has happened to the "free press" in Norfolk.  It used to be that you could rely on Archant to be at least fair and possibly slightly controversial.  However it does appear that they have been "nobbled" (go on Pete delete me!) and that they are "leaning" towards the Club in their sentiments at the moment.

The fact is that there is a lot of disssent towards the club at the moment from people who actually attend Carrow Road (there is still a pro-Delia bias from  those who don''t know their offside from their backpass!!) and the local media (yes you Archant) need to recognise that.

Nice summary but it has all been said before, thats more likely the reason why it didn''t make the presses

Thank goodness for forums though so you can at least have some people read & comment

WAAAAHHHHH WAAAAHHHH [:''(] The evil club run meeja didn''t print my letter. How dare they not share my opinions with the masses. I''M VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

Ahem.

Seriously though, why on earth do people write letters to the EDP when there are many forums such as this where you can get your opinions across much more easily. If a post impresses enough people, I''m thinking mainly of thebigfeller''s post in response to the Liverpool fan who came on here a while back, it normally gets passed around all of the City forums and will probably get picked up by the press as well.

No they don''t, but some letters printed are the equivalent of...''The rubber bit has been lost from my walking stick''. ''Butterflies are laying eggs on my cabbages''.''When I cut my grass it makes me sneeze''.

They didn''t refuse to print it did they? How many letters do you think they get every day? Just because they don''t choose to print one doesn''t mean they refused to. It means they must have had better written more interesting letters that day/week. I read the evening news fairly regularly and the letters page is very balanced with all sorts of opposing views represented. Get over it. 

[quote user="Beds Canary"]Everything you said is spot on. the initial anger of relegation has turned to acceptance for a lot of people.[/quote]There is only one thing that the club have managed properly in half a decade: the expectations of it''s fans.

[quote user="The Fuehrer with a Pound Shop Keyboard"]No they don''t, but some letters printed are the equivalent of...

''The rubber bit has been lost from my walking stick''.

''Butterflies are laying eggs on my cabbages''.

''When I cut my grass it makes me sneeze''.
[/quote]

It''s all a question of balance, not everyone is interested in football.

[/quote]Wouldn''t worry about it. Local print media is dying fast and people are waking up to the fact that they are now advertising papers where the ads are seperated by poor articles and letters.   Doesn''t everyone realise that this message board has more influence as each day goes on. Sure there are some idiots on here but as nearly every club official refers to it regularly believe me it hits parts that the EDP obviously can''t reach.I mean was the Carl Cort signing a coincidence or a pre-emptive mischevious parting shot from someone who left at the start of the summer - think about it.

[quote user="Blue"]Can I assume that "right to edit" in fact meant nothing was actually printed at all?  It appears that the EDP are trying to keep in the clubs ''good books'' for whatever reaon.  Exactly the opposite stance taken to the EADT who were possibly over antagonistic towards ITFC last season. [/quote]

Good point.  Newspapers are partisan.  They have to be fair in reporting news but in their comments they can reflect a particular view.  The Daily Mail is hardly even handed in its views on the government and social workers.   Some papers give Wenger an easy ride and others are critical.  If Archant chooses to support the Board then it is entitled to do so.   It does not have to reflect all views or any specific view.  

The OP''s letter is good.   Archant didn''t print it.  So what?

An excellent post worthy of publication....but we have to remember how much Archant rely on the club for articles and general access to the inner sanctum.....

It seems that the cynical stranglehold Smith has over all things NCFC stretches way beyond the likes of you and me. In 2009 it really has become Delia Smith''s Norwich City by all intents and purposes.

[/quote]

An excellent first post.

I go with ''sheer incompetence''.

[/quote]

You can''t print that sort of thing! - didn''t you know, not only did she save the club - she  pumped millions of pounds in (leaving us only £22m in debt as opposed to well over £30m) & gave us an excellent 03/04 season. Without her (in her own words) there would be no Norwich City!

Perhaps the EDP do not want their readers to question this myth!

Just a thought.

Great first post.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

Can''t see what all the fuss is about - Archant does not have to print every letter they receive.

[/quote]

But what about the Letter itself MF? What do you think about the opinions made? It seems you only make snide comments without putting anything on the table to debate. I for one think this Letter is spot on and one of the best for a long time. I agree with every comment made. Shame it wasn''t posted. If i were the OP i''d take down to Archant and ask them for a reason why it wasn''t printed and than ask them to print it again. I''ve written many times to Archant and all have been printed, it seems this one is a little to close for comfort.

Well Done sir....[Y]

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[quote user="The Fuehrer with a Pound Shop Keyboard"]No they don''t, but some letters printed are the equivalent of...

[/quote]

[/quote]

With your continuing praise of the Board it seems that you fit in to the people who dislike football.

[quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

With your continuing praise of the Board it seems that you fit in to the people who dislike football.

[/quote]

Not as much as he dislikes me though.......eh, Mange Mashpotatio Bunster? " I am an alien...I am an alien! Bleep boop!"

[quote user="Mello Yello"][quote user="Arthur Whittle OBE"][quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not as much as he dislikes me though.......eh, Mange Mashpotatio Bunster? " I am an alien...I am an alien! Bleep boop!"

[/quote]

Mello, you and your pictures has had me in stitches. The Corpsey one was excellent......[Y]

[quote user="Cluck is God"]

An excellent post worthy of publication....but we have to remember how much Archant rely on the club for articles and general access to the inner sanctum.....

It seems that the cynical stranglehold Smith has over all things NCFC stretches way beyond the likes of you and me. In 2009 it really has become Delia Smith''s Norwich City by all intents and purposes.

[/quote]

To be fair though Cluck in this instance I don''t think it matters who pulls the strings inside Carrow Road.

The simple fact is that Archant have to toe the line if they want reasonable access to the Club. It was the same in the days of Eastern Counties Newspapers and will be the same for whoever ends up owning the titles in the future.  

It must be broadly the same elsewhere.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."][quote user="Cluck is God"]

[/quote]

To be fair though Cluck in this instance I don''t think it matters who pulls the strings inside Carrow Road.

The simple fact is that Archant have to toe the line if they want reasonable access to the Club. It was the same in the days of Eastern Counties Newspapers and will be the same for whoever ends up owning the titles in the future.  

It must be broadly the same elsewhere.

[/quote]

I don''t disagree with that... but I think Smith''s public profile has to make Archant particularly cautious about criticism. A pop at a "non celebrity" club Director would be of no interest outside Norfolk what-so-ever... however if they started on Smith the national press would pick it up and run with it.

They wouldn''t want to create that level of adverse publicity as it could mean heads roll..........