Sign in to follow this  
Yellowfuture

Same Thing Every Year

Every year during the summer close season we see lots and lots of optimistic posts regarding new signings, last season there were some who were so  pleased that they thought top six was very realistic. Then within  a few weeks the reality of the players we have brought in begins to show itself, the board turns sour and off we go again. I dont know much at all about the players we have signed and I suspect that if most others are hoonest they wouold say the same. Lets save the celebrations till  we find out if these guys are any good!

[quote user="Spineless Fooks"]Were not celebrating, just optimistic. You should try it sometimes. Dare to dream!![/quote]

I have tried it and  been dissapointed every year, "Dare to dream"..................oh dear! 

Futureisyellow does raise a valid point. But then by the same token rather than look for the negatives in the situation (of which I wholeheartedly acknowledge there are many) there are definately some positives to come out of the summer thus far. Three new faces, actual Norwich City contracted players and all of whom have experience at the current level we are playing at. And the transfer window hasn''t even opened yet, when the players and agents and so on have returned from their holidays the wheeling and dealing should gather pace. There''s also Martin and Spillane fresh off of their Luton spells which by all accounts seem to have made them better players (relegation was seemingly inevitable thanks to the points deduction, thus can''t possibly be held against them). I''m just as fed up as everyone else with the old "give them time" talk from those connected with the club, but in this case I think it''s warranted. Pre-season will be vital in getting the new lads to blend in and we can find out their strengths and weaknesses.

[quote user="Superflash"]Futureisyellow does raise a valid point. But then by the same token rather than look for the negatives in the situation (of which I wholeheartedly acknowledge there are many) there are definately some positives to come out of the summer thus far. Three new faces, actual Norwich City contracted players and all of whom have experience at the current level we are playing at. And the transfer window hasn''t even opened yet, when the players and agents and so on have returned from their holidays the wheeling and dealing should gather pace.

There''s also Martin and Spillane fresh off of their Luton spells which by all accounts seem to have made them better players (relegation was seemingly inevitable thanks to the points deduction, thus can''t possibly be held against them). I''m just as fed up as everyone else with the old "give them time" talk from those connected with the club, but in this case I think it''s warranted. Pre-season will be vital in getting the new lads to blend in and we can find out their strengths and weaknesses.
[/quote]

Matty Gill has no experience at this level.

To be fair those who were happy with the perm signings didn''t get too much wrong last time out, despite the normal rumblings about them being crap from some quarters: Stef looked good until getting injured, Clingan was one of our best players, Wes was also regarded as one of the few successes of the season.  The only other that I can think of (other than season long loans) was Nelson who as back-up didn''t get a chance to do anything either right or wrong. 

No, unfortunatly, in terms of perm signings that was pretty much it - and they were pretty reasonable.  The problem was the scale of the clearout that took place (including Hucks) meant we needed a hell of a lot more than we got and had a massive and fatal over reliance on loans as a result.   There is little doubt that the same will not be allowed to happen again.

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]Fair enough, I stand corrected. Speaking of Gill though, to be apart of a team winning back to back promotions surely wouldn''t do us any harm. Whilst he''s no league 1 experience as you correctly pointed out, he has lower league experience and thus this will still come in handy. 

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Superflash"]Futureisyellow does raise a valid point. But then by the same token rather than look for the negatives in the situation (of which I wholeheartedly acknowledge there are many) there are definately some positives to come out of the summer thus far. Three new faces, actual Norwich City contracted players and all of whom have experience at the current level we are playing at. And the transfer window hasn''t even opened yet, when the players and agents and so on have returned from their holidays the wheeling and dealing should gather pace. There''s also Martin and Spillane fresh off of their Luton spells which by all accounts seem to have made them better players (relegation was seemingly inevitable thanks to the points deduction, thus can''t possibly be held against them). I''m just as fed up as everyone else with the old "give them time" talk from those connected with the club, but in this case I think it''s warranted. Pre-season will be vital in getting the new lads to blend in and we can find out their strengths and weaknesses. [/quote]

[/quote]He played for Peterborough in this league for 5 years between 2000-2005

[quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Superflash"]Futureisyellow does raise a valid point. But then by the same token rather than look for the negatives in the situation (of which I wholeheartedly acknowledge there are many) there are definately some positives to come out of the summer thus far. Three new faces, actual Norwich City contracted players and all of whom have experience at the current level we are playing at. And the transfer window hasn''t even opened yet, when the players and agents and so on have returned from their holidays the wheeling and dealing should gather pace.

There''s also Martin and Spillane fresh off of their Luton spells which by all accounts seem to have made them better players (relegation was seemingly inevitable thanks to the points deduction, thus can''t possibly be held against them). I''m just as fed up as everyone else with the old "give them time" talk from those connected with the club, but in this case I think it''s warranted. Pre-season will be vital in getting the new lads to blend in and we can find out their strengths and weaknesses.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes he does he played with Adam Drury at Peterborough and also in League One with Notts Country, so stop thinking that you know it all and just button it.

[quote user="Superflash"]Ok, turns out I was wrong! I don''t know whether I''m coming or going [:^)]
[/quote]

No you were 100% correct.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"]

No you were 100% correct.

[/quote]I meant in responding to Smudger, who I thought had corrected me. Still, probably should''ve double checked the research.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]Every year during the summer close season we see lots and lots of optimistic posts regarding new signings, last season there were some who were so  pleased that they thought top six was very realistic. Then within  a few weeks the reality of the players we have brought in begins to show itself, the board turns sour and off we go again. I dont know much at all about the players we have signed and I suspect that if most others are hoonest they wouold say the same. Lets save the celebrations till  we find out if these guys are any good![/quote]

I guess I''d better stop making all of these new banners then........ [:(]

I`m not  just talking about perm signings Branson, I`m talking about the general excitement that builds about our prospects for the coming season, the general sence of  optimism which regularly turns out to be without substance. I`ve jumped on the band wagon in the past but refuse to do so this year, we should have learned our lesson by now.  

I wouldn''t stand corrected if I were you, as unless I''m wrong, Gill played 97 (+30 sub) games for Peterborough over 5 seasons at this level between 1999-00 and 2003-04. 

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]I`m not  just talking about perm signings Branson, I`m talking about the general excitement that builds about our prospects for the coming season, the general sence of  optimism which regularly turns out to be without substance. I`ve jumped on the band wagon in the past but refuse to do so this year, we should have learned our lesson by now.  [/quote]

Fair enough, I guess it all depends on where you''re coming from; I''m an optimist by nature and I''d hate to be in a position where I wasn''t looking forward with optimism about the chances of doing something at the start of a season.  Of course, it can''t be denied that it is true that in the past few seasons it has ended up being unfounded optimism, but we can''t always be wrong!

I don''t think too many supporters will get carried away yet...but just for once we seem to be doing business first and choosing players we want rather than having the dregs that are left as usually happens.

The fact that Doncaster has now gone may just have something to do with it! [:D]

[quote user="whoareyou"]

I don''t think too many supporters will get carried away yet...but just for once we seem to be doing business first and choosing players we want rather than having the dregs that are left as usually happens.

The fact that Doncaster has now gone may just have something to do with it! [:D]

[/quote]

And that in itself is a positive lol

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]Every year during the summer close season we see lots and lots of optimistic posts regarding new signings, last season there were some who were so  pleased that they thought top six was very realistic. Then within  a few weeks the reality of the players we have brought in begins to show itself, the board turns sour and off we go again. I dont know much at all about the players we have signed and I suspect that if most others are hoonest they wouold say the same. Lets save the celebrations till  we find out if these guys are any good![/quote]

yeap....lol we got to have something!!

Same old summer rumours about signings, and nothing of note coming through. Same old theories that we are not  revealing the size of our transfer pot so as not to inflate prices, same old B0LL0CKS!

Well, lots of signings but are they any good? Time alone will tell, I think Holt is going to prove worth his place, as for all the others, lets wait and see.Tongue Tied [:S]

So are you saying the future''s NOT yellow?

most players we now have have done well at former clubs .

the difference between now and last season is our team is not full of loan players who were not tried out at championship level.

as i said i felt last season was going to be a nightmare , this year i feel we will have a great season .

[quote user="Haggerdoo"]

So are you saying the future''s NOT yellow?

[/quote]

Ha Ha, I`ll tell you around Christmas time.  

Yes but he is used to winning, unlike Those three midfield idiots last season who put their heads down and prayed for the final whistle.  Its not all about perceived skill with a football![quote user="Smudger"]

[quote user="Superflash"]Futureisyellow does raise a valid point. But then by the same token rather than look for the negatives in the situation (of which I wholeheartedly acknowledge there are many) there are definately some positives to come out of the summer thus far. Three new faces, actual Norwich City contracted players and all of whom have experience at the current level we are playing at. And the transfer window hasn''t even opened yet, when the players and agents and so on have returned from their holidays the wheeling and dealing should gather pace. There''s also Martin and Spillane fresh off of their Luton spells which by all accounts seem to have made them better players (relegation was seemingly inevitable thanks to the points deduction, thus can''t possibly be held against them). I''m just as fed up as everyone else with the old "give them time" talk from those connected with the club, but in this case I think it''s warranted. Pre-season will be vital in getting the new lads to blend in and we can find out their strengths and weaknesses. [/quote]

[/quote]

[quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He played for Peterborough in this league for 5 years between 2000-2005
[/quote]

Whoops, how embarrassing [:$]

if they are signing players evrey fan in the country do the same thing , people are just looking forward to the new season

[quote user="macdougalls perm"][quote user="Say Hello To The Angels"][quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

He played for Peterborough in this league for 5 years between 2000-2005
[/quote]

Whoops, how embarrassing [:$]

[/quote]

But don''t expect an apology from him...

[quote user="Smudger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

you have no football experiance!!