Sign in to follow this  
Shyster

Hoolahan

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="Shyster"]As a wide man he plays like Huckerby, but obviously he''s not nearly as quick - for too many seasons now we''ve lacked two wingers on the pitch who give great width at the same time - like Huckerby, Hoolahan is always looking to come inside giving us a lopsided look to our play, and cuter teams on the day found us out and would negate the threat of Croft/the opposing flank early on.

Keep Hoolahan if he''s going to be utilised in an effective role behind the forwards, but he might as well go otherwise.[/quote]

I would be interested to know where he played for Blackpool in league one.... because he destroyed the league that year!

[/quote]

At Blackpool, Hoolahan, was fielded on the left, but played a free role because he benefited from having full-backs who were willing to get forward in support and exploit space on the flanks - we have Otsemobor (who is able to perform such tasks on the right, but rarely does) and Spillane (who doesn''t have an Asa Hall to get him out of the s*it) and who really isn''t suited to the right-back position.

As for left-backs we have the ever so not so pacey, injury prone Drury and the knee ligament fu*ked Wiggins who will never exactly run the line like a dart ever again - I''m not sure he ever did.

So ultimately we require pacey left sided players or as I''ve said over & over again, Hoolahan is superfluous to requirements, which is ridiculous, because he''s already proved he can rip this Division apart in the right set up.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Lambert doesn''t do flair which is fair enough.

Someone else may.

Call from Grayson? [;)]

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Shyster"][quote user="JuanVelasco"]

[quote user="Shyster"]As a wide man he plays like Huckerby, but obviously he''s not nearly as quick - for too many seasons now we''ve lacked two wingers on the pitch who give great width at the same time - like Huckerby, Hoolahan is always looking to come inside giving us a lopsided look to our play, and cuter teams on the day found us out and would negate the threat of Croft/the opposing flank early on.Keep Hoolahan if he''s going to be utilised in an effective role behind the forwards, but he might as well go otherwise.[/quote]

I would be interested to know where he played for Blackpool in league one.... because he destroyed the league that year!

[/quote]

At Blackpool, Hoolahan, was fielded on the left, but played a free role because he benefited from having full-backs who were willing to get forward in support and exploit space on the flanks - we have Otsemobor (who is able to perform such tasks on the right, but rarely does) and Spillane (who doesn''t have an Asa Hall to get him out of the s*it) and who really isn''t suited to the right-back position.As for left-backs we have the ever so not so pacey, injury prone Drury and the knee ligament fu*ked Wiggins who will never exactly run the line like a dart ever again - I''m not sure he ever did.So ultimately we require pacey left sided players or as I''ve said over & over again, Hoolahan is superfluous to requirements, which is ridiculous, because he''s already proved he can rip this Division apart in the right set up.[/quote]

[/quote]

Someone else may.

Call from Grayson? [;)]

[/quote]

Lambert doesn''t do flair? Is that why he constantly praised & played the (never do defending) Sergio Torres whilst at Wycombe?And did you not witness any of the games in Wycombe''s 2006 League Cup run? Flair in abundance I''d say.Let''s hope the purse strings are loosened for Lambert to do a proper job.

Only if he "personally" likes them alas.

[;)]

If you have any purse strings to be loosened I sincerely hope it will come Colchester''s way.[:D]

Hate to agree with Shyster, but it isn''t that difficult to change the system to have one of the best attacking players in it.

One foot blah blah blah. Doesn''t defend blah blah blah. How many of our right footed players don''t have a left foot? Its preposterous!

You don''t see Barcelona trying to play Lionel Messi as a traditional left winger, because he''s not that sort of player. And before some clever person says Hoolahan isn''t as good as Messi... we aren''t any Barcelona!

So many teams in the world play with a right footed player on the left who difts in, what you need is exactly what Shyster says, a left back who can run a bit, i mean is that too much to expect? How fast is Habergham? Maybe he should get a game, hes young if nothing else and should have the energy.

Like he said again, the player has already proved it in this league, but for some reason we can''t seem to use a player who has done it already. Who quite patently wanted to stay even though his agent was trying to get him out of here. Most fans would love a player who wanted to stay, not us, lets ship him out the door for a few hundred k and then think we are going to get some world beater in his place!

Je despair!

[quote user="Shyster"]As a wide man he plays like Huckerby, but obviously he''s not nearly as quick - for too many seasons now we''ve lacked two wingers on the pitch who give great width at the same time - like Huckerby, Hoolahan is always looking to come inside giving us a lopsided look to our play, and cuter teams on the day found us out and would negate the threat of Croft/the opposing flank early on.

Keep Hoolahan if he''s going to be utilised in an effective role behind the forwards, but he might as well go otherwise.[/quote]

The problem being with Hux we could get away with it because you knew he would contribute goals and assists, all Hoolahan does is run into blind alleys time and time again, clearly there''s skill there but no pace and very one footed, the team has looked better without him, personally I''d sell to bring some extra pace into the team

Because Huckerby was allowed to stay up the pitch and not get back. I''ve seen Hoolahan collecting the ball far too deep to make an impact with his style of footy.

[quote user="Downloads"]

Hate to agree with Shyster, but it isn''t that difficult to change the system to have one of the best attacking players in it.

One foot blah blah blah. Doesn''t defend blah blah blah. How many of our right footed players don''t have a left foot? Its preposterous!

You don''t see Barcelona trying to play Lionel Messi as a traditional left winger, because he''s not that sort of player. And before some clever person says Hoolahan isn''t as good as Messi... we aren''t any Barcelona!

So many teams in the world play with a right footed player on the left who difts in, what you need is exactly what Shyster says, a left back who can run a bit, i mean is that too much to expect? How fast is Habergham? Maybe he should get a game, hes young if nothing else and should have the energy.

Like he said again, the player has already proved it in this league, but for some reason we can''t seem to use a player who has done it already. Who quite patently wanted to stay even though his agent was trying to get him out of here. Most fans would love a player who wanted to stay, not us, lets ship him out the door for a few hundred k and then think we are going to get some world beater in his place!

Je despair!

[/quote]

I''m just not getting what others see in him, best attacking player?, how many assists, how many goals, lousy at set pieces, not enough to warrent such adulation surely, a poor man''s Phil Mulryne rather than our own Messi

[quote user="Downloads"]Because Huckerby was allowed to stay up the pitch and not get back. I''ve seen Hoolahan collecting the ball far too deep to make an impact with his style of footy.[/quote]

There was a moment against Col U early on which was a nutshell moment, collected the ball high on the left, skinned the defender, players waiting for the cross, decides to beat the defender again and the chance breaks down, later on similar position Holt doesn''t bother running into the box because he doesn''t expect the cross to come in, he just doesn''t do the simple things well enough, loads of skill but woeful decision makin and a lack of directness. In a similar position Hux would have created a corner, pen, goal etc

Very clever to misquote me muppet.

"Best attacking player" or did i say "one of the best attacking players"

I think Holt would fall into the best after what we have seen and i think Hughes can pick a pass too.

[quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]

The problem being with Hux we could get away with it because you knew he would contribute goals and assists, all Hoolahan does is run into blind alleys time and time again, clearly there''s skill there but no pace and very one footed, the team has looked better without him, personally I''d sell to bring some extra pace into the team

[/quote]

Nail on the head. Everyone has a stronger foot, but most pros can do more than simply stand on the other one. As a result he''s easy to double up on and defend by showing him inside. He also lacks the awareness to exploit the space created by double teaming to lay it off to teammates in space, preferring, as you rightly say, to dribble up blind alleys. Hughes is an infinitely more promising playmaker, and gives us real balance.

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

Someone else may.

Call from Grayson? [;)]

[/quote]

Would you like to ammend your post?

A) He most certainly does ''do'' flair.

B) I dont care if they do or not

C) What are you on about?

[quote user="promotion chasing CT "][quote user="Camuldonum"]

Someone else may.

Call from Grayson? [;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The other thing that reviving this thread does is remind many of us how badly we got it wrong, which I''m more than happy to admit to.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="promotion chasing CT "][quote user="Camuldonum"]

Someone else may.

Call from Grayson? [;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The other thing that reviving this thread does is remind many of us how badly we got it wrong, which I''m more than happy to admit to.

[/quote]

For what it''s worth and concerning football knowledge/management, Beau, I would gladly take you on as an understudy.