Sign in to follow this  
city till i die

confederations cup, whats that noise??

[quote user="Penfold"]It''s the politically correct people like you that stops people caring about genuine racism.[/quote]You just called Houston Canary ''politically correct''.... genius. [:)]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Penfold"]It''s the politically correct people like you that stops people caring about genuine racism.[/quote]
You just called Houston Canary ''politically correct''.... genius. [:)]
[/quote]

It''s militant Marxist homosexuals like Houston Canary who give the rest of them a bad name [8o|][;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Penfold"]It''s the politically correct people like you that stops people caring about genuine racism.[/quote]You just called Houston Canary ''politically correct''.... genius. [:)][/quote]

It''s militant Marxist homosexuals like Houston Canary who give the rest of them a bad name [8o|][;)]

[/quote]I bet he reads the effing Guardian.... [:@]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="Penfold"]It''s the politically correct people like you that stops people caring about genuine racism.[/quote]
You just called Houston Canary ''politically correct''.... genius. [:)]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I bet he reads the effing Guardian.... [:@]
[/quote]

Bloody Commie loving peacenik Yanks!!!11!!!!!1! [:@]

[quote user="Houston Canary"]

Traditional?  There has only been plastic for about 90 years.

[/quote]

And Americans have only know about soccer for about 10 years, so whats your point?

ps. plastic was patented 102 years ago.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

And Americans have only know about soccer for about 10 years, so whats your point?

[/quote]While we''re correcting people, I''d like to point out that the USA hosted the World Cup in 1994 and that Pele played there in the twilight of his career to raise awareness of the game, like a 1970s Beckham (only much, much better).  Their football related beer adverts also blow ours out of the water (Added Time Multi-Ball).  Also, the best football book I''ve ever read was written by an American - The Miracle of Castel di Sangro by Joe McGinniss.Its very populist to bash Americans about their football, occasionally with just cause (I mean, soccer, come on!).  They''re getting there, though, and as HC says are producing some decent talent now.Sorry, rant over, but if you are going to attack HC, do it properly.... [:P]

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

Traditional?  There has only been plastic for about 90 years, and I doubt those female-sexual-organ name sounding things were being made right then.  If it''s a tradition, it''s not much of one.  However, thinking FIFA is going to do anything about it is silly, wishful thinking.  It is also paternal, disrespectful, and bordering on racist.  Do you not think FIFA knew about the noise when they selected S Af to host?  Why ban it frou the World Cup but not the preliminaries?

Sure they are annoying, but you will get used to it quickly enough unless you are so whiny as to try to purposely be bothered by it.  I leave that for the politically correct types, and I could not give a flying monkey if they are uncomfortable after all the damage they have inflicted.

[/quote]

What an idiot you are. Racist because I find that monotonous drone deeply unbearable? It''s the politically correct people like you that stops people caring about genuine racism. I don''t care what colour the person blowing the horn is, all I know is that it gives me a headache. And for the record, vuvuzelas have only been present at football matches for under a decade and their introduction was commercial rather than cultural.

Ban the effing vuvuzela. Let me enjoy my football.
[/quote]

You are wrong about the vulva horn thingy.  It was claimed they are tradition, and my point was that it was not much of a tradition since the things have not existed for very long.  Desperate to win a point, Velasco pointed out plastic has existed for 12 years longer than I estimated it had.  Well done, Juan. I''m doing this off the top of my head, and you research.  I think that makes you look uptight because the exact date plastic was registered doesn''t matter.

Not allowing 3rd World savages to blow their horns is paternalistic and yes, borders on racism.  These horns are blaring every time the US plays any of the Latin countries for World Cup qualifying.  We let the poor savages have their fun, and we advance to the next round.  The complaints about vulvavalas (or whatever you call them) come across as at least classist, if not racist.  You are the superior Raj, and the locals need to be taught how to act properly, and blowing horns at soccer matches is certainly not something we superiors should have to put  up with.  Claiming advertisers will pull their money is the dumbest thing I have heard on this or the other thread on the issue.  There are no commercial breaks during the games, if people turn the sound down, it will actually HELP advertisers as viewers have to watch more carefully to follow the game and simutaneously see those advertisement boards around the field, AND if it becomes an issue, it will only increase viewership as non-soccer fans tune in to see what the fuss is about.  AT half times, the crowd sound is gone as the show goes to the studio, and I doubt the camera man and sound guy will be blowing their horns then.

Holy CRAP!  Did you call ME politically correct?????  Ha ha, you are the limit, Penfold.

Much of the noise is from fans of the USA team as we crushed Egypt while Italy crumbled like little girls in front of Andrie Chikatilo as they "played" Brazil.  US advances while Italy and Egypt go home early.  We finally had sensible refs who weren''t going to pull out a red card for obvious yellow card offenses by our players while completely ignoring worse tackles by theirs.  BRING ON SPAIN! (and a ref who doesn''t play that "fake falling deserves a card" game) [/quote]

Fake falling DEFINITELY deserves a card, and you''re probably the first football fan I''ve ever heard to argue for diving.  If that''s how the USA play then you can definitely stick to your "football" for all I care, the last thing the international scene needs is another team of diving cheats.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]
While we''re correcting people, I''d like to point out that the USA hosted the World Cup in 1994 and that Pele played there in the twilight of his career to raise awareness of the game, like a 1970s Beckham (only much, much better).  Their football related beer adverts also blow ours out of the water (Added Time Multi-Ball).  Also, the best football book I''ve ever read was written by an American - The Miracle of Castel di Sangro by Joe McGinniss.

Its very populist to bash Americans about their football, occasionally with just cause (I mean, soccer, come on!).  They''re getting there, though, and as HC says are producing some decent talent now.

Sorry, rant over, but if you are going to attack HC, do it properly.... [:P]
[/quote]

You need a sense of humour transplant. You dont need to give me a lesson in American Soccer history, my girlfriends 50 year old dad played for their national team.

Plastic was invented 5 years after Norwich City Football Club, so I know who is right on this one...... thanks.

[quote user="Jez"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

Much of the noise is from fans of the USA team as we crushed Egypt while Italy crumbled like little girls in front of Andrie Chikatilo as they "played" Brazil.  US advances while Italy and Egypt go home early.  We finally had sensible refs who weren''t going to pull out a red card for obvious yellow card offenses by our players while completely ignoring worse tackles by theirs.  BRING ON SPAIN! (and a ref who doesn''t play that "fake falling deserves a card" game)
 [/quote]

Fake falling DEFINITELY deserves a card, and you''re probably the first football fan I''ve ever heard to argue for diving.  If that''s how the USA play then you can definitely stick to your "football" for all I care, the last thing the international scene needs is another team of diving cheats.
[/quote]

Ha ha ha...... that is definetly a classic. Always the American way, why use one word when you can use two? 

Diving? nah, isnt going to use enough oxygen.... lets call it ''Fake Falling''.

That offensive Soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo of the Manchester United Red Devils Association Football Club is always fake falling when he gets inside of that larger box near to the rectangular post supported conversion net, so that he can have an attempt at scoring a point from the foul conversion spot.

Translation:  Cristiano Ronaldo the dirty f*cker, diving as soon as he gets into the penalty box.

Much of the noise is from fans of the USA team as we crushed Egypt while Italy crumbled like little girls in front of Andrie Chikatilo as they "played" Brazil.  US advances while Italy and Egypt go home early.  We finally had sensible refs who weren''t going to pull out a red card for obvious yellow card offenses by our players while completely ignoring worse tackles by theirs.  BRING ON SPAIN! (and a ref who doesn''t play that "fake falling deserves a card" game)
 [/quote]

[/quote]

Ha ha ha...... that is definetly a classic. Always the American way, why use one word when you can use two? 

That offensive Soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo of the Manchester United Red Devils Association Football Club is always fake falling when he gets inside of that larger box near to the rectangular post supported conversion net, so that he can have an attempt at scoring a point from the foul conversion spot.

Translation:  Cristiano Ronaldo the dirty f*cker, diving as soon as he gets into the penalty box.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Velasco continues to miss the point about plastic NOT being the point, just a minor contributing factor.  But apparently he had connections, via his 50 year old girlfriend''s dad.

As for you, Jez, how dumb are you?  How could you possible think from my comment that I am IN FAVOR of diving? We (England, US, Aussie, Japan, Nigeria and a few others) play the game like men.  It is the nancy boys of the Mediterranean and Latin America that use the sissy tactic of faking injuries I OBVIOUSLY am opposed to.  The ref I want for our game vs NancySpainia is one who DOESN''T fall for that cr#p and give my team a card when the hair gelled Spanish pansy takes a slide.  Read the entire paragraph you hi-lighted, and you will get my point.  I absolutely do think fakers need to be hammered with yellow cards way more often than they are.

[quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Jez"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is it really the American way, jv?  Can you give some more examples?  Did your 50 yr old girlfriend''s dad also compete in the Olympics in the 3 meter fake fall event?  You went a long way to make a weak point that proves nothing about America.  Your limericks are so bad they are embarrassing.   I helped you other there, too.  

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="JuanVelasco"][quote user="Jez"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Is it really the American way, jv?  Can you give some more examples?  Did your 50 yr old girlfriend''s dad also compete in the Olympics in the 3 meter fake fall event?  You went a long way to make a weak point that proves nothing about America.  Your limericks are so bad they are embarrassing.   I helped you other there, too.  

[/quote]

Look just chill out Houston, I am allowed to have a laugh, if you dont want to laugh along then thats fine. The Americans have found plenty of ways to have a laugh at our expense, and we have found plenty of ways to have a laugh at their expense. Quite why you keep going on about my bleeding Limericks I do not know, that seems to have really bugged you, clearly admitting that my limericks were crap isnt enough for you. What do you want me to do? Tattoo "my limericks are rubbish" on my forehead? I mean, crikey...... its just a bloody five line poem, im hardly claiming to be the next Shakespeare.

We (England, US, Aussie, Japan, Nigeria and a few others) play the game like men.  It is the nancy boys of the Mediterranean and Latin America that use the sissy tactic of faking injuries I OBVIOUSLY am opposed to.

[/quote]

Clearly you''ve never watched the likes of Gerrard, Joe Cole and Rooney chucking themselves about after minimum contact. Or Hucks for that matter.

Every nation on earth has players who cheat. Whether it''s shirt pulling, blocking runs at set pieces or diving/feigning injury. I fail to see why people get so hung up about diving but ignore most of the other gamesmanship that goes on in your average football match.

Come on Spain [;)]

Way to go, jv.  If you can;t beat ''em,. join ''em.  NOW it''s just a laugh.  That sounds more like you admitting defeat, tapping out, going down for the count (I said it 3 different ways, not 2).  Spain is #1?  Really?  I didn;t know that despite having mentioned it several times in various comments, jv.  Can you read?

Shackattack, I know English players occasionally do the fakery too, but it is not the focus of their game like it is with the Meds and Latins.  One problem with it in the US is that Americans don''t cotton to that sort of weakness, feigned or otherwise. When players collapse screaming in pain after being lightly tapped on the face or having their shoe scuffed by a cleat, we do not look at that as being manly.  Screaming like a little bee-atch is not what men playing a rough sport should do, even when the injury is real.  You don''t see boxers or rugby players collapsing in shrill fits of womanlyhood when they get touched, slugged, pounded, drilled.  You don''t see soccer players screaming like little girls when they get nailed with a free kick, either.  I think getting drilled with a free kick hurts substantially more than the breeze caused by a kick that didn''t connect, and yet players will collapse and scream from the missed kick but go on playing from the free kick to the mid-section.  How many shots were never made because a player chose to collapse like a quadrapeligic rather than following through on the play, and no foul was called?  It seems like for every 10 fakeries, 9 don''t get a call, and 5 of them could have resulted in a decent shot had the weakling not played possum but just done his job.

Acting like a sucky whiner does not do soccer''s image any good here although I must admit my bro-in-law from Mexico thinks it is a very clever ploy (or he did until I expressed how soft it makes thep players look).

Shackattack, I know English players occasionally do the fakery too, but it is not the focus of their game like it is with the Meds and Latins. 

[/quote]

I wouldn''t say that it''s ''the focus of their game'' to be honest. Their focus seems to be more on keeping possesion until they can work an opening, rather than worrying about how ''manly'' they look. Our focus in the past has been on manly, muscular football with attackers who run around like headless chickens and defenders who are only at home when they''re hoofing, fouling or heading. And we''ve won the grand total of sweet f*ck all for 40+ years.

Luckily we''ve got one of thos ''Meds'' in charge now who seems to be teaching us how to play properly. If USA have designs on actually winning a major tournament in the future, and the Confederations Cup doesn''t count by the way, they would do well to follow the example of the ''Meds and Latins'' rather than a bunch of technically deficient plodders like England and Australia.

Or you could just keep worrying about how manly you look [:^)]

The English look manly without effort, because we simply are.  The Yanks need to hit the gym and beef up in order to feel good about themselves.  God, I love being superior..........

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

Shackattack, I know English players occasionally do the fakery too, but it is not the focus of their game like it is with the Meds and Latins. 

[/quote]

I wouldn''t say that it''s ''the focus of their game'' to be honest. Their focus seems to be more on keeping possesion until they can work an opening, rather than worrying about how ''manly'' they look. Our focus in the past has been on manly, muscular football with attackers who run around like headless chickens and defenders who are only at home when they''re hoofing, fouling or heading. And we''ve won the grand total of sweet f*ck all for 40+ years.

Luckily we''ve got one of thos ''Meds'' in charge now who seems to be teaching us how to play properly. If USA have designs on actually winning a major tournament in the future, and the Confederations Cup doesn''t count by the way, they would do well to follow the example of the ''Meds and Latins'' rather than a bunch of technically deficient plodders like England and Australia.

[/quote]

The US is not technically deficient.  Why do you imply that you can only be techincally deficient to play like a man, and be technically superior includes crying like a scorned woman?  Why can''t you be both, in your opinion?

Regardless of that, as long as soccer has THAT image, it will not catch on as a viewing sport whole heartedly in the US.  Do you not feel embarrassed when you see hair gelled sissies rolling around like that, screaming like a 5 yr old who''s ice cream cone just slipped onto the floor? 

Why do you caveat the Confederations Cup as not being major?  Is it because we looked so good in the last game and you think we might actually win it?   If that doesn''t count, what does, beyond the World Cup?  We''ve won several regional championships in recent years, albeit the major competition is only consistently Mexico and from time to time Honduras, Costa Rica and Trinidad or El Salvador.  Weplayed in an Americas tourney last year which included several of the top S Am teams, but Confed Cup includes Brazil, and it''s not major despite Spain, Italy and Brazil bringing their starting line ups. Other than the World Cup, what else can we qualify that you judge as major?

[quote user="Houston Canary"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The US is not technically deficient.  Why do you imply that you can only be techincally deficient to play like a man, and be technically superior includes crying like a scorned woman?  Why can''t you be both, in your opinion?

Regardless of that, as long as soccer has THAT image, it will not catch on as a viewing sport whole heartedly in the US.  Do you not feel embarrassed when you see hair gelled sissies rolling around like that, screaming like a 5 yr old who''s ice cream cone just slipped onto the floor? 

Why do you caveat the Confederations Cup as not being major?  Is it because we looked so good in the last game and you think we might actually win it?   If that doesn''t count, what does, beyond the World Cup?  We''ve won several regional championships in recent years, albeit the major competition is only consistently Mexico and from time to time Honduras, Costa Rica and Trinidad or El Salvador.  Weplayed in an Americas tourney last year which included several of the top S Am teams, but Confed Cup includes Brazil, and it''s not major despite Spain, Italy and Brazil bringing their starting line ups. Other than the World Cup, what else can we qualify that you judge as major?

[/quote]

I agree that the US is not technically deficient in relation to the English team, in fact I think that the quality of their best players is well suited to English football. Bobby Convey did a half decent job over here, and has been pants at home. Brian McBride had a fair bit of ability, Kasey Keller, Brad Friedal and Marcus Hannehman have all been very solid keepers..... especially the first two.

But I still disagree wholeheartedly with your perception of meditereanean footballers. You see, Spain and Portugal as a quick example play the most beautiful and technically advanced football in the European game. The simple fact of the matter is that Spain are miles ahead of the English, and a few extra miles ahead of the USA in terms of pure technical and tactical ability. If the USA were to meet Spain in the world cup in 2010, they will be demolished, as I fear England would too.

The Spanish way of playing football is the way that they play in La Liga. Fernando Torres was a serial diver in Spain, but since his arrival in the premiership two years ago has not been known to dive or cheat at all. It is his respect for English football culture that emphasises the fact that we should have an appreciation of theirs. Even Theirry Henry has been known to dive since moving to Spain, but he didnt do it once in England and I do not believe he has done it on the international stage.

Its ok saying that the Americans play the proper way and all that, but to compare yourselves on a technical level with Spain is just far too wide of the mark.  Torres, Villa, Iniesta, Xabi Alonso..... your talking about world class players Houston. Freddy Adu was at once thought to have the potential to be world class, yet he has not fulfilled his potential and would certianly not get any more than a few games a year for the English big four, the Spanish big four or the Italian big few.

I guess it depends on what you consider technically deficient to mean.  I never said we were as fluid as Spain is, and we sure were not up to the Brazilians, having gone down by 2 BEFORE the red card against us.  However, not being in the top 2 or 3 teams does not mean deficient.

The fuss over Freddy Adu was silly from the start.  He has already been passed by several US players who''ve come up since his arrival on the scene.  Did I compare the US to Spain, or are you reading things into my comments that are not there?  Have your 50 yr old girlfriend''s US Soccer team dad read them for you.

The fact that screaming like a baby with diaper rash is part of the game for teams in Spain and Portugal is exactly what turns many Americans off about soccer.  I know the English don''t appreciate it either, but soccer is already in your blood so you''re not going to stop watching.  Outside the immigrant community, soccer is not very important to American sports viewers, and that "I quit.  Rather than continue on with the play and maybe score one on my own, I''m going to collapse and scream and hope for a penalty" approach is not winning anyone over.  So the rest of the game can be great, but so many interuptions of wimpiness or faked wimpiness do not impress us.  Do they collapse like that when they get into a fight? Okay, apart from the Italians, I mean.

I guess it depends on what you consider technically deficient to mean.  I never said we were as fluid as Spain is, and we sure were not up to the Brazilians, having gone down by 2 BEFORE the red card against us.  However, not being in the top 2 or 3 teams does not mean deficient.

The fuss over Freddy Adu was silly from the start.  He has already been passed by several US players who''ve come up since his arrival on the scene.  Did I compare the US to Spain, or are you reading things into my comments that are not there?  Have your 50 yr old girlfriend''s US Soccer team dad read them for you.

The fact that screaming like a baby with diaper rash is part of the game for teams in Spain and Portugal is exactly what turns many Americans off about soccer.  I know the English don''t appreciate it either, but soccer is already in your blood so you''re not going to stop watching.  Outside the immigrant community, soccer is not very important to American sports viewers, and that "I quit.  Rather than continue on with the play and maybe score one on my own, I''m going to collapse and scream and hope for a penalty" approach is not winning anyone over.  So the rest of the game can be great, but so many interuptions of wimpiness or faked wimpiness do not impress us.  Do they collapse like that when they get into a fight? Okay, apart from the Italians, I mean.

[/quote]

I personally couldnt give too monkeys about what the Americans think about Soccer and the way that people dive. If they dont like it they can watch Baseball instead, to see aggressive steroid pumped ''cheaters'' whack a ball as far as they can with a bat in the ''World Series'' that only lets one non American team in (and that team is Canadian) despite the Japanese wanting to set up a world competition for donkeys years. Exactly the same with American Football...... a load of steroid injecting neanderthals that pretty much play rugby with protective clothing. Or watch the American gold medal and world record breaking sprinters of the last 20 years, who nearly all get caught out or admit using banned substances.

Sports traditional to your country has many more problems and cheaters then football does in Europe. And as such you should probably think more about how the USA is percieved across the world before criticising the sports of other countries. If the Americans do not want to embrace football then it is their loss, they are pretty much the only country in the world that hasnt, they can leave it to the rest of the world to enjoy.

Americans have done nothing for Soccer, Randy Lerner is ok, but nobody else has. So we dont exactly need just another country buying into the worlds greatest and biggest sport. My criticism of American Sport in general can be emphasised by the success of stamping out drugs in basketball, the only credible sport left in your country. Basketball is great, every other one of your sports has a far greater problem with discipline, professionalism and cheating than European football.

[/quote]It''s all relative HC and I never said the US team was technically deficient. You bracketed the US with teams such as England and Australia who you said play the game in a proper manly fashion. The teams that you mentioned have won precisely bugger all and my opinion is that this is because they''ve always valued hard work and physicality over technical ability. Relatively speaking the US, England and Australia are technically inferior to the likes of Spain and Brazil.Over here the media tends to jump on any examples of foreign players diving but completely ignores the numerous examples of English players doing exactly the same. It makes for a handy narrative when England get knocked out in the quarter finals by a technically superior side. You seemed to be displaying similar traits when you complained about ''Latins and Meds'' diving. Do you think the US team never cheats? Is shirt pulling on the blind side of the ref cheating and is it as bad as diving? [quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]Have a look at how many games those starting line ups of Spain, Brazil and Italy have played this year. Mentally and physically they''re on the beach. The Confederations Cup is a dress rehersal for the World Cup so that FIFA can check out how things are coming along and so the South African FA can make a bit more cash. Nobody in any of the major footballing nations takes it seriously. It makes no odds to me that you might win it as it will have absolutely no bearing on what happens when we get down to serious business next year at the World Cup. I can only really judge the US on how they fare in World Cups and the Copa America (do you play in that?) and I don''t expect you to cause any major surprises next year unless you get a favourable draw. We''ll get knocked out in the QF on penalties [:''(][;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

We (England, US, Aussie, Japan, Nigeria and a few others) play the game like men.  It is the nancy boys of the Mediterranean and Latin America that use the sissy tactic of faking injuries I OBVIOUSLY am opposed to.

[/quote]

Clearly you''ve never watched the likes of Gerrard, Joe Cole and Rooney chucking themselves about after minimum contact. Or Hucks for that [/quote]

Rooney and more so Gerrard are the biggest divers in the premier league.

[quote user="Wayne G"][quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Houston Canary"]

[/quote]

Clearly you''ve never watched the likes of Gerrard, Joe Cole and Rooney chucking themselves about after minimum contact. Or Hucks for that [/quote]

Rooney and more so Gerrard are the biggest divers in the premier league.

[/quote]

What more so than Drogba? Doubt it. 

jv, you are seriously confused about sport in America.  Football players are tested regularly for steroids, so if they use them, they get caught and tossed quickly.  The World Series is for the world championship.  The best players in the world play in the Major Leagues, not in Japan or Taiwan or Domincan Republic.  The best non-Americans come to play in the Majors, so fretting over the term "World" Series is just moaning for the sake of moaning.  We do compete in the championship tournament the Japanese have been trying to lure us into, and have been for years.  We generally send rookies and college players, though, as the pros can''t be bothered.  If you don''t think rugby and Prem players are using anything to beef up or for endurance, then you are blind.  Do you think that is Drogba''s natural physical build?  Come on! Criticizing Amercian football because players wear gear is also ridiculous and makes you look dumb and/or dishonest. The contact in football is far more cpmsostantly brutal than it is in rugby.  Our guys not good enough for football play rugby, so we do have that as a sport too, but it is played by relatively inferior athletes here.  Oh, and I don''t care for baseball at all, but you seem to be quite the cricket fan.  Which game is slower?

Yes, Shackattack, is was the Copa America I was thinking of as a tourny in which we participate sometimes.  How you can call that a big one but not the Confederations Cup is beyond me. And why then caveat it with a "you only do well if you get a favorable draw"?  To say the Brazilians, Spaniards and Italians are mentially not there is disengeuous at best.  If that was the case, they WOULD NOT HAVE brought their best players but rather given up-and-comers a run to see what they have to offer.  That is not the case, especially with the World Cup around the corner.  How many World Cups have Spain and Portugal won?  How many times has Spain flopped out of the World Cup when they were one of the favorites?  They have all that supposed talent and yet........?

Shirt tugging is not manly either, but it does not cause the embarrassment that rolling around screaming like you''ve got a severe case of PMS because someone brushed by you.  Diving should result in a yellow card or at least a change of possesion EVERY TIME it happens.  If the refs ruled the roost as they should, such ninny tactics would quickly disappear. At least FIFA limits how long someone can lay there fake crying before the stretcher comes on.  Seems that can of mirical spray has been discovered to be bogus because they no longer use it, whatever the hell it was.  You know, laying their like he''s been hit with shrapnel, spray comes out and suddenly he''s sprinting up and down the field like nothing.  Only is soccer, as played by the Meds and Latins.

However much Rooney dives, you know the players in Italy, France and Argentins are doing it 10 times more often. Comparing him to them is apples to oranges.  If he''s the worst in England, then England doesn''t have much of a problem because he''d still be the best by far in leagues where sissy play is a tactic.  Tell that to your 50 yr old girfriend''s dad, jv.

jv, you are seriously confused about sport in America.  Football players are tested regularly for steroids, so if they use them, they get caught and tossed quickly.  The World Series is for the world championship.  The best players in the world play in the Major Leagues, not in Japan or Taiwan or Domincan Republic.  The best non-Americans come to play in the Majors, so fretting over the term "World" Series is just moaning for the sake of moaning.  We do compete in the championship tournament the Japanese have been trying to lure us into, and have been for years.  We generally send rookies and college players, though, as the pros can''t be bothered.  If you don''t think rugby and Prem players are using anything to beef up or for endurance, then you are blind.  Do you think that is Drogba''s natural physical build?  Come on! Criticizing Amercian football because players wear gear is also ridiculous and makes you look dumb and/or dishonest. The contact in football is far more cpmsostantly brutal than it is in rugby.  Our guys not good enough for football play rugby, so we do have that as a sport too, but it is played by relatively inferior athletes here.  Oh, and I don''t care for baseball at all, but you seem to be quite the cricket fan.  Which game is slower? - Dude I would be careful about making allegations about Drogba, of course I think that it is his natural build. My allegations about American Footballers are completely founded, as the problem is both huge over there and well documented. Rugby players and footballers are tested here for illegal performance enhancing substances and very rarely do they fail. I have also never ever in my life considered myself to be a cricket fan, but if I had to choose a sport out of the two, I would certainly choose cricket.  Houston, if the ''World Series'' does not permit clubs outside of two nations then why is it called the ''World Series'', why would it not be called the ''North American Series''.  Im sure the FA would not consider renaming the ''FA Cup'' as the ''World Cup'' on the basis that we have footballers from all over the world in our leagues.

Yes, Shackattack, is was the Copa America I was thinking of as a tourny in which we participate sometimes.  How you can call that a big one but not the Confederations Cup is beyond me. And why then caveat it with a "you only do well if you get a favorable draw"?  To say the Brazilians, Spaniards and Italians are mentially not there is disengeuous at best.  If that was the case, they WOULD NOT HAVE brought their best players but rather given up-and-comers a run to see what they have to offer.  That is not the case, especially with the World Cup around the corner.  How many World Cups have Spain and Portugal won?  How many times has Spain flopped out of the World Cup when they were one of the favorites?  They have all that supposed talent and yet........? - You only have to look at the teams that have pulled out of the competition to see why it is not a serious competition. 1996 European Champs winners Germany pulled out of the 1997 tournament, 1998 World Cup winners France pulled out of the 1999 tournament, Germany again pulled out in 2003. Why? Because with their players having played 40 or 50 games at that stage, and want to take the World Cup a lot more seriously. Why have the Spanish and Italians participated and taken strong squads? In order to stay onside of FIFA. If they pee off FIFA then they are basically ruling themselves out of any bid to host a World Cup.

Shirt tugging is not manly either, but it does not cause the embarrassment that rolling around screaming like you''ve got a severe case of PMS because someone brushed by you.  Diving should result in a yellow card or at least a change of possesion EVERY TIME it happens.  If the refs ruled the roost as they should, such ninny tactics would quickly disappear. At least FIFA limits how long someone can lay there fake crying before the stretcher comes on.  Seems that can of mirical spray has been discovered to be bogus because they no longer use it, whatever the hell it was.  You know, laying their like he''s been hit with shrapnel, spray comes out and suddenly he''s sprinting up and down the field like nothing.  Only is soccer, as played by the Meds and Latins. - You just sound like a typical jumped up, homophobic American bully to be honest. What normal Americans normally refer to as a ''Douchebag?''

However much Rooney dives, you know the players in Italy, France and Argentins are doing it 10 times more often. Comparing him to them is apples to oranges.  If he''s the worst in England, then England doesn''t have much of a problem because he''d still be the best by far in leagues where sissy play is a tactic.  Tell that to your 50 yr old girfriend''s dad, jv - What is it exactly that you would like me to tell him?.

[/quote]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Looks to me like the USA are better than Spain... [;)][:P]
[/quote]

Well done USA. Despite Spain''s superior technical skills and possession one has ot credit the Americans for solid effort throughout the game.