Sign in to follow this  
ncfcfaithful

From someone that used to know Matt Gill.....

I''m not one for starting threads on here very often and in most posts i write I have been against the majority of the decisions made by our board over the last 3 seasons so even if you accuse me of being a happy clapper I really don''t care as it will show you to be talking out of your arse!!

I played in the same team as Matt Gill when he played for Old Catton and as such I have kept an eye on his career and i''m quite suprised at the reaction to his signing.  It''s very easy to criticise us signing a player if you know nothing about him but he has clearly been very well respected at every club he plays for.  When i knew Matt he was playing in the year above him and obviously he was better than the rest of us but I can say for definite we have signed someone who will give 100% every time he puts on the Norwich shirt and below he seems to tick many of the boxes that we need ticked in our current situation. 

1. Permanent Signing - TICK

2. Experience of this level - TICK

3. Wants to play for Norwich City - TICK

4.  Does he know and care how important this club is to the people who support it - TICK

Above that as fans there''s not a massive amount more we can hope for at the moment.  He may not score loads of goals or be the quickest player or one that grabs headlines but it takes all sorts to make a decent team and hopefully he will be an important part in that team doing the job that is asked from him. 

I can tell you now if he''d have been playing at The Valley on the last game of the season he would have worked his bollox off and ultimately that''s what we all want from our players every time they step on to the pitch.

[quote user="ncfcfaithful"]

I''m not one for starting threads on here very often and in most posts i write I have been against the majority of the decisions made by our board over the last 3 seasons so even if you accuse me of being a happy clapper I really don''t care as it will show you to be talking out of your arse!!

I played in the same team as Matt Gill when he played for Old Catton and as such I have kept an eye on his career and i''m quite suprised at the reaction to his signing.  It''s very easy to criticise us signing a player if you know nothing about him but he has clearly been very well respected at every club he plays for.  When i knew Matt he was playing in the year above him and obviously he was better than the rest of us but I can say for definite we have signed someone who will give 100% every time he puts on the Norwich shirt and below he seems to tick many of the boxes that we need ticked in our current situation. 

4.  Does he know and care how important this club is to the people who support it - TICK

Above that as fans there''s not a massive amount more we can hope for at the moment.  He may not score loads of goals or be the quickest player or one that grabs headlines but it takes all sorts to make a decent team and hopefully he will be an important part in that team doing the job that is asked from him. 

I can tell you now if he''d have been playing at The Valley on the last game of the season he would have worked his bollox off and ultimately that''s what we all want from our players every time they step on to the pitch.

[/quote]CROSS - Notts County fans hated him

Bump - I stand corrected on the point regarding Notts County, however from following his career he does seem to be maturing and turning in to a better player with age.

Banana - When you write something worthwhile i''ll think of something worthwhile to reply with.

i used to work with his brother darren.......the best youth team player we never signed except bobby zamora by the way. darren gill was possibly the best midfield enforcer in non-league local football..........matty is much more cultured but have no doubt - he will bring some much needed agression into our midfield. to all the people worried we wont be able to stand the "scarey" rough and tumble of L1 - he will be a godsend.

[quote user="Mr. Bump"][quote user="ncfcfaithful"]

[/quote]CROSS - Notts County fans hated him[/quote]....and the vast majority of Posh fans.

Giving 100% gets you nowhere if your crap.......Anyway, even if he does turn out to be any good he will be sold quicker than you can say "Sammy Clingan". None of the signings we are going to make will be exciting. Stop kidding yourself.

yes but if you were there for the "charlton - end of season sale" then you would know that giving 100% would at least be progress

[quote user="yossarian"]yes but if you were there for the "charlton - end of season sale" then you would know that giving 100% would at least be progress[/quote]

Every player in a yellow shirt that day gave 100%. Marshall excluded of course. It was our inept manager who sealed our fate in that piss poor Charlton showing. The players werent playing for him as they werent playing as a team. The mis-match of loans and lack of tacticle prowess was our undoing. That is the managers fault, no one elses.

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"]

[quote user="yossarian"]yes but if you were there for the "charlton - end of season sale" then you would know that giving 100% would at least be progress[/quote]

Every player in a yellow shirt that day gave 100%. Marshall excluded of course. It was our inept manager who sealed our fate in that piss poor Charlton showing. The players werent playing for him as they werent playing as a team. The mis-match of loans and lack of tacticle prowess was our undoing. That is the managers fault, no one elses.

[/quote]I couldn''t disagree more. If every player gave 100% then our team is a lot worse than i thought. Most players maybe gave about 20%, if i''m being generous.

funny old game........one of us is wrong but might be me. just dont know how you know mattys is crap.........ian wright , stuart pearce , michael kightly , all playing "crap" football originally

Fair post - good luck to him; he is in no way responsible for what has gone on at the club in the past.

[/quote]

There''s a lot of us who are pleased with Matt signing, he won me over when he said that ''''he would have walked from Devon to sign for us''''. Thats the attitude we need and that sort of passion will soon make him a fans favourite.

I see in the EEN that his parents still live in Holt and that he owns 50% of a tennis club with his brother so he sounds sensible planning ahead. Hope he turns out to be a good un on the pitch for us.

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"]

[/quote]

OMG possibly the funniest thing i''ve ever read!!!!  Our players gave 100% at Charlton??!?!?!  Who are you trying to kid??

It''s like claiming George Bush Jnr is the best thing to happen to world peace since Adolf Hitler, or claiming that Hasselhoff is a naturally gifted singer, or that Jodie Marsh is a natural beauty.  Jesus mate, did you go to that game?!?!?!  Gunny may have got his tactics wrong but it doesn''t mean you don''t try!!!

Everyone''s a bit right in this thread from what I can read (except the banana skin).......We do want commited players, we do want aggresive players, it''s nice that they would walk 1000 miles (opps that to granty for me) to sign for us. He is a bit of an unknown and only time will tell etc etc

I still have this niggling doubt though that all this bleeding green and yellow is just not enough...................

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Giving 100% just means your crap player runs about a bit more than usual but is still crap .
[/quote]

Well if we have 11 crap players running a bit more it''s a step forwards from the 11 crap players we had last year who didn''t run at all.

Joey Deacon moves more than most of our team did last season.

I, for one am pleased with this signing.

I am astonished at the level of negativity aimed at this signing. It''s funny when you see certain people who think Martin and Spillane will be massive boosts for us after their stint in a realistically mid table League 2 team yet don''t think a double promotion winning center mid who won their players player of the season is already being deemed not good enough. He himself has earned promotion to League 1 status with Exeter so is now exactly the same level as Norwich City except he has a winning mindset.

Who do we have that''s better other than Clingan who realistically isn''t likely to be here all season if any of it? Russell who tried hard but is one of the most technically inept midfielders we have had for a long while. Lappin? has a great touch and dead ball but apart from the Birmingham game, showed why he''s not the answer. Pattison? I think the attitude and inconsistency is a massive problem with him. Spillane? Will play defence but see point above.

I''m really not sure who a lot of people think we should be signing?

Unfortunately Ronaldo is having talks with Real Madrid apparently so we could miss out on him.

But still if we did get him we would hear TheCanaryFan calling him crap because he dives a bit and is better looking than him and Loan City Fc would say he was over rated because he runs about a bit and scores a few goals and that Gunny would never be able to spot a good player ....... is there any way we can win?

[/quote]

point 3 and 4 are the most important imo! he wont be shirking when othrs will....

jas :)