Sign in to follow this  
canary cherub

Forget Doncaster . . . this is the real issue

Weren''t we told that there would be developments "very soon" regarding further changes on the board? 

Well?  Was it utter moonshine, or did they think they had someone lined up but it''s fallen through, or what??? 

We have no chief exec either (apparently . . . [;)]

Time for a progress report . . . go to it Archant

[quote user="canary cherub "]

Weren''t we told that there would be developments "very soon" regarding further changes on the board? 

Well?  Was it utter moonshine, or did they think they had someone lined up but it''s fallen through, or what??? 

We have no chief exec either (apparently . . . [;)]

Time for a progress report . . . go to it Archant

[/quote]

Think we are probably struggling to find someone willing to join the board of this great club!

I think Fred Goodwin is still out of work.

I absolutely agree that this is the real issue. In many ways, this could be the most important signing of the close season.If we fail to appoint someone who has the nous and expertise to analyse the situation, identify the problems and produce and execute a winning strategy regardless of sentiment and possible boardroom opposition, we may never recover from our current woeful situation.I just hope that, whoever is conducting the recruitment, (and I''ve recruited a fair few MD''s and other Directors in my time) has properly nailed down the job, the person spec. and the competencies that are required and selects objectively against them.The lack of a CEO is evident in the rudderless wallowing of the club at the moment- it MUST be sorted quickly.

On the basis and record of how the board itself has behaved over the years, I simply can''t see anything positive coming out of all this.

I just hope something is happening behind the scenes and that the ''gang of three'' will see the light.

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]I absolutely agree that this is the real issue. In many ways, this could be the most important signing of the close season.

If we fail to appoint someone who has the nous and expertise to analyse the situation, identify the problems and produce and execute a winning strategy regardless of sentiment and possible boardroom opposition, we may never recover from our current woeful situation.

I just hope that, whoever is conducting the recruitment, (and I''ve recruited a fair few MD''s and other Directors in my time) has properly nailed down the job, the person spec. and the competencies that are required and selects objectively against them.

The lack of a CEO is evident in the rudderless wallowing of the club at the moment- it MUST be sorted quickly.
[/quote]

I propose that YY should be on the recruitment panel [Y]

I wish!!! I would have started by spending a long time analysing/ questioning the current management , interviewing the remaining Directors and previous incumbents and then producing a revised organisation, job description and person spec. for agreement.Having identified prospective candidates, they would be rigorously interviewed against the agreed specs. and a shortlist produced for final interview. Full reference and background checks before making an offer with a probationary period and defined, measurable, short-term objectives. Remuneration package to be heavily performance based with significant reward for success but no long contract period.Let''s hope that somebody is doing something similar at Carrow Road which is why there is a delay!

It''s Andrew Cullum that should never have been allowed to leave the Club.   Just watch what he now does for Milton Keynes.   Already nearly got promoted and have hosted an Under 21 England game.   Everthing at the Club will slide now - not just the football!

[quote user="Iappliedformyrebate"]It''s Andrew Cullum that should never have been allowed to leave the Club.   Just watch what he now does for Milton Keynes.   Already nearly got promoted and have hosted an Under 21 England game.   Everthing at the Club will slide now - not just the football![/quote]good first post Andrew

[quote user="foggo7"][quote user="Iappliedformyrebate"]It''s Andrew Cullum that should never have been allowed to leave the Club.   Just watch what he now does for Milton Keynes.   Already nearly got promoted and have hosted an Under 21 England game.   Everthing at the Club will slide now - not just the football![/quote]

good first post Andrew
[/quote]

I think Andrew Cullen knows how to spell his name

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]I wish!!! I would have started by spending a long time analysing/ questioning the current management , interviewing the remaining Directors and previous incumbents and then producing a revised organisation, job description and person spec. for agreement.Having identified prospective candidates, they would be rigorously interviewed against the agreed specs. and a shortlist produced for final interview. Full reference and background checks before making an offer with a probationary period and defined, measurable, short-term objectives. Remuneration package to be heavily performance based with significant reward for success but no long contract period.Let''s hope that somebody is doing something similar at Carrow Road which is why there is a delay![/quote]

Didn''t we have two like this, Andrew & Sharon Turner, but their proposals upset too many people???

[quote user="GMF"][quote user="Yelverton Yella"]I wish!!! I would have started by spending a long time analysing/ questioning the current management , interviewing the remaining Directors and previous incumbents and then producing a revised organisation, job description and person spec. for agreement.Having identified prospective candidates, they would be rigorously interviewed against the agreed specs. and a shortlist produced for final interview. Full reference and background checks before making an offer with a probationary period and defined, measurable, short-term objectives. Remuneration package to be heavily performance based with significant reward for success but no long contract period.Let''s hope that somebody is doing something similar at Carrow Road which is why there is a delay![/quote]

Didn''t we have two like this, Andrew & Sharon Turner, but their proposals upset too many people???[/quote]I think their proposals upset two people, or maybe just one, not too many.

The trouble is, you can''t run a football club like a cottage industry these days. What seems to be forgotten sometimes is that the football is the product you are selling and any peripheral activities can only be judged in the context of the contribution they make to football success. If they don''t contribute, don''t do them!Of course you have to be financially prudent or you end up in administration or out of existence but the whole focus should be about generating income to improve your ''product''- i.e. the football.In order to invest your income wisely, though, you have to have someone at the decision making level who understands your ''market'' (i.e. football- a pattern emerging here?) as well as having the experience and ability to run a complex business and create or attract further investment (in football!).All of which is why it''s so important to bring in the right CEO and, as GMF said, probably why the Turners (who are/were hard headed business people) didn''t last.The ironic part of this is that, if the club do bring in someone of the right calibre, they will probably be hated by fans because they will be seen as heartless ''cold fish'' who won''t spend their time answering fans'' e-mails or wandering around outside the ground but will be devoting their energies to creating and conserving cash!

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]I absolutely agree that this is the real issue. In many ways, this could be the most important signing of the close season.

If we fail to appoint someone who has the nous and expertise to analyse the situation, identify the problems and produce and execute a winning strategy regardless of sentiment and possible boardroom opposition, we may never recover from our current woeful situation.

I just hope that, whoever is conducting the recruitment, (and I''ve recruited a fair few MD''s and other Directors in my time) has properly nailed down the job, the person spec. and the competencies that are required and selects objectively against them.

The lack of a CEO is evident in the rudderless wallowing of the club at the moment- it MUST be sorted quickly.
[/quote]

Thing is as an incoming CEO - wouldn''t you want some sort of say in who the manager was ??

The decision to appoint Gunn the day after Doncaster and Mumbles went shows who is, has been, and more importantly will continue to make the decisions going forwards. Unfortunately until they go, or sell their majority share NOTHING will change and sadly we will continue to slip into oblivion...

[quote user="The Judge"]

[/quote]

Thing is as an incoming CEO - wouldn''t you want some sort of say in who the manager was ??

The decision to appoint Gunn the day after Doncaster and Mumbles went shows who is, has been, and more importantly will continue to make the decisions going forwards. Unfortunately until they go, or sell their majority share NOTHING will change and sadly we will continue to slip into oblivion...

[/quote]

I certainly would if I was about to shell out a million or two of my hardearned in return for a seat on the board . . . 

Two points here...I wouldn''t necessarily expect a professional CEO to be a big investor. I would hope that a new Chairman or other Director would be.Although not ideal, most new CEOs would expect to inherit staff in key positions; I would imagine he (or she!) would set the Management team some stretching targets and review progress very closely with clear consequences for non performance but, equally, performance bonuses for success!

Ahh! My nearest pub is the Wheel Of Fortune in Alpington...Truth is I''m in a sort of no man''s land between Yelverton, Hellington and Holverston although my actual parish is Holverston for what its worth!

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]Two points here...

I wouldn''t necessarily expect a professional CEO to be a big investor. I would hope that a new Chairman or other Director would be.

Although not ideal, most new CEOs would expect to inherit staff in key positions; I would imagine he (or she!) would set the Management team some stretching targets and review progress very closely with clear consequences for non performance but, equally, performance bonuses for success!
[/quote]

YY, you''re too considerate in responding to Cherub''s point. In the strange world that she lives in I would love her to advise how many CEO''s of clubs at Championship level or lower have up a couple of million invested in the club they are employed by. I would be amazed to hear of one.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

I wouldn''t necessarily expect a professional CEO to be a big investor. I would hope that a new Chairman or other Director would be.

Although not ideal, most new CEOs would expect to inherit staff in key positions; I would imagine he (or she!) would set the Management team some stretching targets and review progress very closely with clear consequences for non performance but, equally, performance bonuses for success!
[/quote]

YY, you''re too considerate in responding to Cherub''s point. In the strange world that she lives in I would love her to advise how many CEO''s of clubs at Championship level or lower have up a couple of million invested in the club they are employed by. I would be amazed to hear of one.

[/quote]

Yankee you are living proof that a stick has two ends. 

What on earth makes you think I am suggesting that a CEO would invest money in the club?

I was talking about new directors, that is why I spoke of  "a seat on the board".  Comprendi?

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

What on earth makes you think I am suggesting that a CEO would invest money in the club?

I was talking about new directors, that is why I spoke of  "a seat on the board".  Comprendi?

[/quote]

Comprendi? Obviously, none of us can comprehend what goes on in that mind of yours unless you explain it clearly. Your response ( I certainly would if I was about to shell out a million or two of my hardearned in return for a seat on the board . . . ) was to a post that specifically referred to the CEO ( Thing is as an incoming CEO - wouldn''t you want some sort of say in who the manager was ??). Even your nominee to be on the recruitment panel, Yelverton Yella, misunderstood your input, and immediately responded after your post  in a gentle way that there was not necessarily an expectation that the CEO would be a big investor. YY was being kind to you. Neil Doncaster was CEO and was on the Board. If you had asked Neil if he had even been able to even imagine how he might amass a couple of million pounds to put into a football club then I imagine he would laugh in your face the way that you just love. So, I repeat, if you meant "new directors" then you should have said that, not make your comment in response to a post referring to the CEO role. We are not mind readers you know and, besides, your mind operates in a strange way.     

was nominee for

Certain people irrationally attack Arcant when they report what little Norwich news there is and then they ask them to fabricate a story.  Strange.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="YankeeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Comprendi? Obviously, none of us can comprehend what goes on in that mind of yours unless you explain it clearly. Your response ( I certainly would if I was about to shell out a million or two of my hardearned in return for a seat on the board . . . ) was to a post that specifically referred to the CEO ( Thing is as an incoming CEO - wouldn''t you want some sort of say in who the manager was ??). Even your nominee to be on the recruitment panel, Yelverton Yella, misunderstood your input, and immediately responded after your post  in a gentle way that there was not necessarily an expectation that the CEO would be a big investor. YY was being kind to you. Neil Doncaster was CEO and was on the Board. If you had asked Neil if he had even been able to even imagine how he might amass a couple of million pounds to put into a football club then I imagine he would laugh in your face the way that you just love. So, I repeat, if you meant "new directors" then you should have said that, not make your comment in response to a post referring to the CEO role. We are not mind readers you know and, besides, your mind operates in a strange way.     

[/quote]

Misunderstandings happen on here all the time.  It wasn''t important and I was going to let it pass.  But you''re so blinded by your obsession with me that you didn''t even stop to question it.  More ammunition for your sad sick little campaign, or so you thought.  You need help.

Oh dear, Cherub, every time you get something wrong you resort to the same old chestnut. It would be so refreshing if you could just simply admit,  "My mistake."