Sign in to follow this  
Norfolk  Dan

Formations and bilding the squad.

I rarely post on here, i''m more of a reader than poster on here, but I wanted to share my idea about formations and the squad.

The basis of this is 352 which can be flexible to so many other formations.

So to the point. focussing your defence on centre backs allows you to have 5 or 6 centre backs in your squad to fill you constant 3 defensive positions. With injuries you can fill in with much ease.

Your midfield can then play narrow with 1 defensive mid 3 in the middle and 1 behind, or wide with 3 in the middle controlling play and the other 2 pushing on and taking the opposition defence to deal with tactility, making them make changes to deal with your formation.

Then you have the flexibility of moving your forward to drop deep or pushing right up.

I see the biggest benefit of this is the defence. Having 5 or 6 players that play CB that is the defence. With a standard 442 you have at least 4 CB 2LB and 2RB giving you 8 players.

What do you think......

Sounds like it could work. The only worry is that if the midfield was broken through, would 3 defenders be able to cope? They probably would, but in closing down the player with the ball could leave the rest of the back of the pitch open, possibly defended by just one player. Which in turn would draw out some of the midfield. Combating this may result in some of the midfielders playing in a more defensive role. However, the 3-5-2 formation seems good and flexible, possibly something which could be tried next season. The midfielders would need to be fairly versatile however, as they may need to move from supporting the attacking players to helping the defenders fairly quickly.

Then again, i''m not a manager, so it may be a lot better/worse than I believe it is ;]

I''m a traditionalist in that I like my 4-4-2. I fully acknowledge that other formations will work, and work nicely. But I believe the basis of any good side is a steady, dependable, well known formation with each player playing very clear roles. I believe it helps helps the team know each other and understand each other to play better as a unit as well as gives them the familiarity to go out and play better football.

[quote user="johnjohnjohnnyjohn"]Sounds like it could work. The only worry is that if the midfield was broken through, would 3 defenders be able to cope? They probably would, but in closing down the player with the ball could leave the rest of the back of the pitch open, possibly defended by just one player. Which in turn would draw out some of the midfield. Combating this may result in some of the midfielders playing in a more defensive role. However, the 3-5-2 formation seems good and flexible, possibly something which could be tried next season. The midfielders would need to be fairly versatile however, as they may need to move from supporting the attacking players to helping the defenders fairly quickly.

Then again, i''m not a manager, so it may be a lot better/worse than I believe it is ;][/quote]

Good post, but i think with the league having quick and durect wingers, the formation would struggle if we were on the back foot, just like we did with semmi last year. Far better finally being that boring/ composed aide that will frustrate opposing fans, but come up with enough class to snatch the odd game, 4-4-2 is more suited to this, like our promotion season styleq, although we had a peaked drury, fleming, francis and holt to deal with covering huck''s marauding runs!

I always used to play 3-5-2 on sensible soccer with my left winger doing all the damage, scoring plenty and putting in lots of crosses for the strikers. I suppose we could get away with 3-5-2 especially if we had a left winger that could cross and score goals...

[quote user="johnjohnjohnnyjohn"]Sounds like it could work. The only worry is that if the midfield was broken through, would 3 defenders be able to cope? They probably would, but in closing down the player with the ball could leave the rest of the back of the pitch open, possibly defended by just one player. Which in turn would draw out some of the midfield. Combating this may result in some of the midfielders playing in a more defensive role. However, the 3-5-2 formation seems good and flexible, possibly something which could be tried next season. The midfielders would need to be fairly versatile however, as they may need to move from supporting the attacking players to helping the defenders fairly quickly.

Then again, i''m not a manager, so it may be a lot better/worse than I believe it is ;][/quote]I don''t think, realistically, it''s a formation we can use.Fair enough, 3 central defenders would be fine in regards to any attacks down the middle. However, when the wingers / wingbacks (depending how they are positioned) are committed to attack, the flanks would be continually left open, and any team with pacey wingers would counter us far to quickly.In all honesty, a 4-4-2 is the best formation to use generally, hence it''s wide use. It can be altered however, for example a diamond shape in midfield.