Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Henderson and the Under 20`s

Did you even read my post?

I wasn''t making reference to you in particular when I used the fat bloke example, what I was saying was that, yes, Hendo is a VERY good player by the standards set by your average footballer and crap is most definitely not the word to use when comparing him to you or me.

BUT comparing him to the level of players he''s playing against or with he is crap there is no point comparing to your average bloke or otherwise every player in a professional league is VERY good - doesn''t mean I want them at Norwich because they''re better than me!!!! If you want me to re-phrase it because you don''t understand I will: Hendo is not good enough to be playing for Norwich City Football Club. I will choose my words more carefully next time I post because obviously they are very mis-leading...

Marty, didn''t you read his previous post? That''s exactly what he just said. He said that he is obviously a lot better than your mere Sunday league player, but isn''t up to Premiership standard. It was perfectly clear to me, so perhaps you need to try reading posts before you reply to them?

Unfortunately as everyone knows, at every ground there are always sections of the crowd who like to pick on players for no real reason. They move from one target to the next as they kill each one off by sapping the players'' confidence (as shown in Iwan''s book). God knows why they do it.

Take Svenny. He got abuse from the moment he arrived off some people despite the fact that he played for quite a while when he wasn''t fully fit, and despite the fact that he contributed a lot to our promotion when the pressure was on in the run-in. Some people were calling for Iwan every time he got the ball against Wigan before he shut them up with his fantastic goal. The same select idiots screamed abuse at Svenny as soon as anyone so much as looked like passing it to him against Palace (a couple sat near me unfortunately).

Same has happened to Holt this year. He did have a few poor games at the start of the season no doubt, but in the last few he has improved and seems to be picking up the tempo of the Prem. Despite this, a bloke sitting near me during the Pompey match started moaning every time he got near the ball. When he struck the cross bar all he could say was, "well, I still think he''s a w+++++" and then stayed quiet for the rest of the match!

In no way whatsoever were "the fans" on Hendo''s back, it was just the same small group of mindless idiots who seemingly have a compulsive need to victimize certain players (which can create the sheep like response from others as Marty states). If you think they were doing it as a result of an intelligent assessment whereby they looked at the players performance, considered all surrounding circumstances (eg a youngster playing out of position) and then made their decision then you are sadly mistaken.

The very fact that some idiots booed Hendo was not because they were rationally criticising and giving an honest footballing opinion, it was because they are stupid, and consequrently that is a useless way to judge a players performance (which is why I said to look at the DVD, something you seem to find funny for some reason - honestly if you are subjective you will be surprised).

Truth is, anyone can see that Hendo is not "crap" as you put it. Is he as good as Rooney? No, of course not. Does playing for the U-20''s mean he will represent the full England side in the future? Not necessarily, and chances are it''s not likely. Are we saying that Hendo is the greatest talent ever to pull on a yellow shirt? No we are not.

All people on here are saying is that he is a player of genuine promise who despite still having a lot to learn, made a significant contribution last season when called on despite getting undeserved stick from some quarters.

He might not go on to be a club great, but he has done well so far which suggests he has every chance to become a regular first teamer in the future with hard work and more experience. People getting on his back for no reason will not help him progress, and it won''t help NCFC as a result either.

Thats the end of me on the subject as it''s clear you have your own personal agenda on this topic for some reason.

Oh sorry I would appear that I have over estimated the derogatory nature of the word crap, I presumed that meant he could bearly kick the ball, I didn''t realise it meant that he was merely not good enough to play in the premiership.

I guess that will provide solace to many people who have been called crap in the past, it really doesn''t mean that much. I think we could call a fair few of our players crap at the moment then. based on performances so far Jonson is crap, but I prefer to be more optimistic and say he has potential and lets hope given time and support he realises his potential.

Or I could post messages saying he''s crap. I would expect more constructive critism than resorting to expletives. My own opinion is that he isn''t great yet, but he''s far off crap.

Mcs....whatever your name is. I think your post there is credible and I can''t argue with the bulk of it. But just because people boo a player does not make their opinion wrong and yours correct and make them idiots and you not - they are booing because they are disappointed for whatever reason and they may feel their reason for booing is just as credible as your reasons for backing such players like Hendo, Svensson etc...

Don''t get me wrong I can''t stand boo-boys and I am definitely not one - even for Hendo!! I think all players should be encouraged when they''re on the field of play.

I know some of you have made up your mind that I must have some personal vendetta against the lad and that I''m slating him for the sake of it - but this is far from the truth. I would love to see everyone who pulls on the sacred yellow and green shirt do well but I just genuinely think that he is not a very good prospect at all and will amount to nothing, I suppose time will tell if I am right but for now I''d like to say come on Hendo and prove me wrong.

I have read this topic with great interest. I can appreciate all views made, both good and bad. However, I feel compelled to give Worthy Nigelton some support.

Having read all the posts, his argument has actually been very reasonable. Despite Nigelton making it clear that he is not a boo boy and that he fully supports all our players, others have got on at him because he used the word ''crap''. So what? I had no idea this word was so offensive and I am glad I have realised this before I expanded on my views of Henderson - there are many far worse adjectives which could be thrown at him...

As everybody appears to make judgments on each person who makes a post, let me make this clear - I have played football for a long time and I have been going to Norwich games on a regular basis for around the same period. I sit next to someone who believes that players are either s**t or brilliant and this attitude is incredibly frustrating. Therefore, my views on Henderson should not be disregarded as fickle nor be misconstrued as a lack of understanding.

Anyway, my first question is thus: How has Henderson earned a nickname (Hendo)? I thought this was resevered for the greats, such as ''Gunny'' or ''Hucks'', not a below average Championship class player?! Why do believe that youth spells potential? I have watched games and genuinely believed I could do better. There is nothing to suggest he will amount to anything - despite a ''fabulous cross'' last season - whoohoo!

However, there is one thing I disagree with Nigelton on - Ian ''Hendo'' Henderson will not end up somewhere such as Colchester. He''ll end up as a plumber or an electrician or something - and probably a god-awful one at that...

P.S - I would also like to gloat when I am proved right.

Forum Newbie, Likewise I hope to Gloat when he doesn''t end up as a plumber!

I agree that some fans either love or hate a player, the chances are most players are a lot more mediocre than that. in my opinion Ian Henderson is not crap, simple as that really, no i don''t think youth necessarily promises great things, i just dont think he is crap, in fact none of the Norwich 1st team players are crap. OK on the terraces people shout out abuse worse than that but it''s normally during a game and fulled by testosterone and adrenaline so i tend to ignore it unless it is is very offensive and / or personal. But I suppose I expect slightly more constructive criticism on this forum. I respect peoples opinions just like I expect them to respect mine, also opinions are there to be questioned.

One thing I don''t understand Forum Newbie is your support form Nigeltons so called argument that Hendo is crap? as far as I can remember from his posts there is no constructive comments on his so called lack of ability as a footballer, just the quote "he is crap", that, in my opinion, is not a great argument!

I do not understand why anyone would want to gloat at a failure of a Norwich player another moron in our midst. Also you state he put in 1 good cross last season & thats nothing to get excited about. What about the 5 goals he scored & the 2 fouls he won against Ips**t that lead to Malky''s goals his general performance against Walsall with an excellent cross for Crouch. You don''t have a very good memory do you & as for you doing better why don''t you take your kitbag to the scums training ground you probably would fit in to their team well.

Once again, this is a case for Tumbleweed. Two extremist viewpoints here -

1, Hendo is crap.
2, Whoever says Hendo is crap supports Ipswich.

I started off arguing against Worthy Nigelton, but now I feel it''s gone too far. He doesn''t support Ipswich if he thinks a player is bad - I thought Sutch was awful (sorry XXL) but I don''t go to Portman Road.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. Hendo was good and bad last season, probably in equal measures.

As I stated in an earlier post, while we have the time and money to invest in him, let''s leave it to the powers that be to decide on his future.

I feel that Hendo has some talant hidden in there somewhere but on the occasions I have seen him play and loses the ball he seems to see the "Red mist" and is hell bent on getting the ball back and doesn''t care what it take. This always ends in a bad tackle. If given a chance in the PL and this behaviour carrys on it wont be long before a hardened pro will chop his legs off! to teach him a lesson.
Hend just needs to grow up a bit more first and maybe one day he will make it.