Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

Henderson and the Under 20`s

I just watched the England under 20`s and thought Hendo played really well and Worthy should really consider at least putting him on the bench. I think hes a better player than Jarvis. What do you thinK?

Ha! Things must be getting desperate if we''re thinking about including Hendo in the side - the lad tries hard but lets face it....he''s rubbish, he looked crap in a top of the table Div 1 side - what the hell is he gonna look like in a bottom of the table Premiership side!!!!

I know he''s young, but some people seem to think that being young automatically makes you a good, exciting prospect who should be given a chance. This has happened before with the likes of Coote, Broughton, Forbes, Che Wilson etc... Hendo will go exactly the same way and end up at Colchester or somewhere.

Please people, he''s crap, and to say he''s better than Jarvis is the biggest load of rubbish I''ve ever heard!!! Jarvis looks top notch IMO and does actually show genuine promise unlike Hendo.

I know this post is harsh, but its also truthful.

I agree NC I have seen Hendo in reserves & youth team as a central striker & that is his natural position. When he has played in the 1st team he has always played in the unnatural wide midfield role & I think against Millwall last year he proved what a technically gifted finisher he is. Definately ahead of Ryan Jarvis at the moment.

Worthy Nigleton, I appreciate people have an opinion and you are entitled to yours.

I however dont think hes crap at all and he''s not rubbish as you say.

Last season was an example of how fans needlessly got on his back. At times, his work rate was hard and he scored a couple of nifty goals that helped us on up the table.

Not sure we can write him off in the way you are saying and cast him to the second division or whatver its called nowadays.

We have to give the younger players time to break into the team and thats not going to happen overnight. Yes I have seen Hendo have ''bad'' games but also very good ones. Jarvis hasnt fully broken into the main team and we''re not writing him off are we?

Keep up the good work Hendo.

[quote]Ha! Things must be getting desperate if we''re thinking about including Hendo in the side - the lad tries hard but lets face it....he''s rubbish, he looked crap in a top of the table Div 1 side - what t...[/quote]

Worthy NigeltonWere you one of the idiots who insisted on booing and jeering at the likes of Hendo and Easton every time they made a mistake last season? Surely the crowd is there to encourage the players and not to totally destroy their confidence. Hendo is not crap. He is a very talented young lad who will give 110% and needs some encouragement and praise when he does things right not to be slagged off every time he does things wrong.

Yep everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some aren''t worth listening to! Barely want to rise to that comment above! Shows you know sod all about football though.

Not good enough for the First Division? That comment is completely insane. Just go and watch the season DVD of last year and note how many times Hendo played a key role in us scoring. I think even supporters of Hendo (which should be everyone as far as I''m concerned, you should never moan at your own players during a game, especially youngsters who will always make the odd mistake) would be surprised at how big a part he played when you look back. And all this whilst playing out of position on the right wing! 99% of the time some "supporters" had a go at Hendo last season was when he was actually doing exactly what Worthy wanted him to do, i.e. don''t bother tring to take on people if there is little support ahead, just put your foot on the ball and play it simple so that we keep possession and can build from there.

Bottom line is, if you cannot tell the difference between a player like Hendo and players like Che Wilson, you must really be struggling! He played very well for the U-20s at the weekend, as he has done so far in the reserve games I have seen this season (he was excellent against Pompey reserves, best player on the pitch). I also thought he was our best player when he came off the bench against Everton in the cup last season, so I don''t think the step-up would bother him. I know Worthy and the coaching staff rate him very highly (thats why he got a new contract this summer) and the fact that he is moving so easily through the England youth ranks suggests that they rate him highly too.

I really look forward to Hendo proving you completely and utterly wrong in the next few years! And I would have to agree that out of the two Hendo has been a lot more impressive than Jarv. I think Iwan noted this in his book, that Hendo just has a bit more desire to make it. Always shows in the performances. Any City fan would want both to do well though and thats why I can never understand such mindless criticism.

Worthy Nigelton How constructive its a pleasure reading such wonderful comments & again shows real support to our players. A young lad making his way playimg out of position & all you can say is he''s crap. He will be more like a Bellamy than the players you have mentioned. He has guts attitude & anyone in the coaching staff with England & Norwich are fully aware of his talent.

better than jarv!!!! dont make me laugh!! one has a quality touch,great vison,quality passerand bundles of intelligence. The other is headless but does have a gr8 engine. I do agree hendo played well and maybe worth a look as jarv maybe!!

Just because I think Hendo is rubbish, this doesn''t mean I boo and jeer him at all. I would never do that to someone I''m going to support - I get behind him and would love to see him prove me wrong and become what all you lot think he has the potential to become, I am a die-hard City fan and want our youth players to turn into great pros for the club just like everyone else.

However, I do feel that some posters on this site are so blinded by their love for the club and how much they WANT stuff to happen that they DO NOT or WILL NOT see the truth.

When Bellars broke through you could see he had class, Hendo hasn''t got this. I know people who know the youth team very well because either they play in it or their sons do and the general feeling is always that they were shocked when the club granted Hendo a pro contract.

I think both players have got real potential.  However Henderson has come on quite a bit from last season and has been playing so well for the reserves as a central striker. He has that energy which unsettles defenders in the same way that Leon does in the first team. Jarvis would do well to raise his work rate and add harassing defenders to his silky touches and undoubted skill.

Worthy Nigelton you really are a tosser.....unjustified, probably because I don''t know you from Adam but I put as much thought into this thread as you did yours!!

Right obviously by the responses I''ve got to my somewhat...controversial post - I think it is time to lay this to bed. I think Hendo is crap, you lot obviously don''t.

Hendo will no doubt at some point in his career move on from Norwich, should this be to a team in the Premiership or a team in a higher league than us at the time of transfer I will post a grovelling apology, never comment on youth team players again and wear a Binners top for a day around Norwich City centre.

However if young Hendo gets transferred to Peterborough or Colchester or somewhere (which I have no doubt he will) then I can issue a post saying "I told you so"........deal?

I agree with Worthy Nigelton HENDO IS CRAP....at picking haircuts. From what I saw of the Under 20 match he has gone for the huck mullet.

Hucks really has been a bad influenece on male haircuts in Norwichsince his arrival in Norfolk.

No no no no no, Northern Canary, that''s not how it works. You don''t actually have to watch a player to believe the hype that surrounds them.

I will explain.

Before a player has played, or endured a bad run of form - ie Jarvis, Safri, Brennan and Briggs - They are the FUTURE of the club, and Nigel''s an idiot for not playing them, and if only we played them instead of Gary Holt and Mat Svensson we''d win games!!

But then, the dark side.

They play, maybe start well but struggle for a couple of games - Hendo, Shackell (at Palace), Svensson, Helveg - and the tide turns. "We''ve seen enough" the angry mob chant, and it''s off with their heads, never to be seen in the first team again please.

[quote]Right obviously by the responses I''ve got to my somewhat...controversial post - I think it is time to lay this to bed. I think Hendo is crap, you lot obviously don''t. Hendo will no doubt at some poin...[/quote]

Worthy as you so succinctly put,you think"Hendo''s crap",but if you follow your logic you must think the managers judgement of players "is crap",the youth developement,the reserve coaching team"is crap" or why would they expend so much time ,money and energy trying to develope players that are "crap",why not just terminate their contracts or do you just talk "crap"!!

Add to that the people in the England set-up who rate Hendo as one of the national sides best under 20`s and there seems to be an awful lot of people who are `crap` at their jobs. If only the person who started this thread could use his superior judgement in all these different roles,just imagine what a wonderful flawless set-up there would be. The goals+ assists by Hendo last season were anything but `crap` and considering he had the physique of a boy in a very physical league, i think he has shown that as he gets stronger he will get even better.

I''m not in total agreement with Nigelton, but I would say there is a far greater chance of Jarvis suceeding at the highest level than Henderson. With no disrespect to Henderson, the only reason he played during the middle part of the season was that Rivers was either injured or playing crap, and the only other possiblility was Briggs (enough said!).

Henderson came in to a side playing well and did his bit. Being an England youth player doesn''t guarentee success, however hopefully he will continue to improve as a footballer and make it either at Norwich or elsewhere

Let me put it this way: Hendo is now, what 20? This is a similar age as players like D Bent, Westlake and Bowditch - I know they''re all binners and I don''t like admitting this but Hendo is not even on the same footballing planet as these lads and you all know it.

Just because you''re an England youth/Under 20''s or whatever international this means ABSOLUTELY nothing, there have been many, many players who have played at this level and never even got a pro-contract so don''t churn that load of rubbish out like it means something.

He''s had chances to prove it on the pitch and has been dire (bar a couple of goals against Millwall) he offers you nothing other than a lot of running - He''s wasteful on the ball and gives you no penetration at all and off the ball he just looks like a little boy - granted, he will fill out as he gets older but getting older will not give him the skill or talent that he quite blatantly lacks.

Fair point about Bent et al. But what if Hendo is different to them? What if he''s a hard worker who will gradually get better with time?

There have been many cases of footballers realising their full potential as they move into their twenties, and many cases of footballers having it all at their feet, and losing it.

Stuart Pearce, Lee Clark, Ian Wright, Didier Drogba, even Thierry Henry, were all late to realise their full potential.

Let''s just leave it with Hendo and Worthy (no, not you Mr Nigelton) and see what becomes of him. I haven''t seen him on the pitch, or the bench, this season so I''m quite happy to have him ticking along in the reserves until we see whether he can cut it or not.

Bananaman, that was a great post. I agree with that. Just as I am probably being stupid writing him off - I think others are being stupid assuming he has potential just because he''s young and he''s played a few games in the first team or for u20''s. The basis of my point is that I don''t think he has potential but you are quite correct its up to the management and lets see how he develops. Good post.

[quote]Let me put it this way: Hendo is now, what 20? This is a similar age as players like D Bent, Westlake and Bowditch - I know they''re all binners and I don''t like admitting this but Hendo is not even on...[/quote]

But that last point is just your opinion, and personally I (as do many others) completely disagree with it. Like I said in my previous post, go and watch the season DVD and see how big a part Hendo played last year in helping us gain promotion. If you watch it and still cannot see it then I give up, you must have a personal agenda at stake.

I''m particularly pleased you mentioned the likes of D Bent, Westlake and Bowditch because those without some sort of bias would have to agree that Hendo was one of the main reasons we beat them at home last season. It was he who lit the fires by going straight through Magilton (not the actions of "a little boy"!). And more importantly it was Hendo''s "penetrating" work down the right which won us both free kicks which resulted in Malky''s two goals, crucial moments as we were playing very poorly before hand (thats just a fact whch you cannot deny).

"offers you nothing other than a lot of running"? What about in that dire home game against Forest. The one piece of genuine quality we showed, and what won us the game, was an excellent cross by Hendo which Svenny got on the end of (even you cannot deny the quality of that cross). And he also stuck a few goals away, not least the two against Millwal you mentioned, both of which were far from easy chances and showed his abliity in front of goal.

How you can say he was wasteful on the ball is a mystery to me. Yes he did give the ball away at times, but a 19 year old playing out of position on the wing is going to make such mistakes. It''s part of the learning curve which all young players go through (some said it about Bentley''s performance against Villa for example). Most of the time fans got at him was when he didn''t waste the ball, and played a simple pass to make sure we kept posession rather taking on a defender or two with little support ahead of him.

Hendo is certainly not the finished article, and with young players you can never quite tell how they will develop over time (and Jarvis would be a good example of this, as despite his greater talent he seems to have taken only a few steps forward over the past year, but I''m sure he will get back on track and come good for us over the next couple of seasons). But he has showed a lot of potential and to claim his performances last season were "dire" couldn''t be further from the truth in my opinion. Like I said, go and watch the season review. That provides conclusive proof that your opinon is wrong in my book.

[quote]Let me put it this way: Hendo is now, what 20? This is a similar age as players like D Bent, Westlake and Bowditch - I know they''re all binners and I don''t like admitting this but Hendo is not even on...[/quote]

Could I just ask a question Worthy Nigel please ?

I do not wish to comment on Hendo''s abilities, or lack of them that you expound so greatly.

No what puzzles me is the relationship to your first Forum post on 6th.August, well first under the "Worthy Nigel" title anyway, compared with your current posts.

The topic then was funnily enough Henderson, you commented that he wasn''t suitable etc you then said "club must see something in him to have kept him this long so who am I to judge ?",  fair enough.

Now as the reports of the lad''s performances recently have been very good. What have you seen in two months to change you from someone reasonable and who felt his judgement is questionable, to one prepared to deliver such a strong and prolonged slating of a young player ?

I am only Worthy Nigelton I don''t log-in as anybody else.

If you would have read my last post on this thread it did say that its up to the management to see how he develops as they admittedly have a greater idea of his potential than myself. But what''s the point in watching football if you don''t allow yourself to form an opinion on it??? Its a game of opinions and everyone''s opinion is different - thats the beauty of it.

I''ll answer the oter post in between this one and my last when I get time...I''m now off to lunch.

By the way....Did I mention I think Hendo''s rubbish?

Worthy Nigelton, do you, or have you ever played football? I doubt it by your post. OK I appreciate that we all have different opinions about many things including who is good and not so good at footy. But to call a player like Hendo crap is moronic really isn''t it? You seem to imply that if he goes on to play for another Premiership team is is not crap and if he drops down a division he is crap, that''s a very simplistic way of judging players isn''t it? I guess that means there are many crap players in the Championship (like all of them!). My point is that he may not be you favourite player but he is not crap, he may even be average in your opinion, but crap, that pretty much implies he can barely kick the ball. I presume you have a job Worthy Nigelton? if so are you the dogs boll*cks at work or just mediocre? do you have off days? if so I guess you must be crap also! maybe use more constructive language next time. By the way, I play a bit of footy, now I am close to being crap, I don''t feel too bad about that any more cos it means on a par with Hendo!!!

Marty, what a dumb post. Obviously your average fat bloke on a Sunday who is playing over Slowbottom Park for a Sunday Pub Team after 10 pints of lager the night before is not going to be as good as a professional footballer who trains and plays all the time - that goes without saying. So from that way of looking at it Hendo is not crap nor is any other professional, I agree, but if this is the case then you would have to say that Malky Mackay is a good right-winger because he would probably be better than the rest of us non-pro''s even if thats not his position. I am talking about compared to the level of player he is playing against/with which is the only way to judge Hendo.

And yes I am a quite good footballer if I do say myself and I do play regularly on Sundays.

As for the post before that which I said I''d answer I''ll say this:

Any player who has played regularly in the first team is going to have their moments where they do something quite good, Hendo was quite regular last season and you''ve picked about 3 examples of how he "actually is good". If we use this logic then I''m sure if I searched through the archives I could find 3 or 4 examples where Darren Beckford done well - that doesn''t mean he was good. If Hendo really did do as well as the DVD suggests like you claim, then why (as people have admitted on this thread) did the crowd get on his back and start booing him? Surely not because he was playing brilliant as "the DVD shows"... no they booed him because he was rubbish for the vast majority of the time he was on the pitch.

People boo players because other so called fans do, it''s the sheep mentality, most of them are not even aware of that players performance until it is highlighted by the booing and then the player is analysed like a hawk. I too think he looked OK for a majority of the games he played last year, he didn''t stand out too much but he looked reasonable (that''s not the same as crap). 

No i''m not fat, yes I do play regular football (and have winners trophies) and keep in shape, however, using your logic, if Hendo is crap then I don''t know what that makes me because I nowhere near as good as him. I suppose the point I am trying to make to you worthy Nigelton is that Crap may not have been the best choice of words to use.

So you claim to be a reasonable football player, that means you must be better than Hendo, who is crap, yes? I think you are probaly implying that he isn''t up to Premiership standard. There is a slight difference. Constructive critism is fine, use of over the top adjectives is not!

Also, I would hardly say we have set the premiership alight with out right wingers or strikers have we, is Hendo that much worse?

Got to shoot off, I need to finish my 10th pint so that can get my inherently lazy, unfit body in perfect fettle before I play footy tonight.