Sign in to follow this  
Robbo007

Change in Defence?

Maybe Nigel will surprise us again with a change of tactics. According to Docherty, he will start playing as a centre-back. There is no chance of Flem/Charlton being dropped, so perhaps a 5-3-2 formation with Helveg playing Wing-back maybe employed??

Docherty quote

"It''s something I''ve got to sort out because I do want to be a centre-half at Norwich, and it''s something I''m going to strive for when I get back.

"There''s a suggestion from him [Worthington] he will now change that."

I found this article quite interesting - there''s definitely a hint here of GD trying to influence things through the media and NW won''t stand for that. I personally don''t see any benefits in 5-3-2 and would be surprised if NW tried it just yet. It''s the right balance and personnel in midfield that we need to find first so that they protect the defence better and don''t leave them constantly firefighting. They have done that manfully so far but it''s no way to play a season in the premiership.

GD could find himself on the bench as an attacking option or cover in defence in the event of an injury. I think he''ll have to get used to it and wait for his chance in defence.

I feel a little sorry for GD as he wanted to play at Centre Back when he came, did us a favour by going up front, let Charlton & Fleming''s partnership & now he will have have to wait for their form to drop or an injury.

I think the fleming/charlton combination has been a big positive this season, but Doherty could start on saturday to add some size to the centre of our defence as WBA only score from set plays.....

Whilst I''m in the Fleming/Charlton camp, Saturday''s match is a tricky one. WBA are one of the small number of teams in the Premiership who use target men - especially from set pieces.

A lack of central height is an issue as far as I''m concerned.

Not sure myself what the solution is - so far it hasn''t been a real problem for us - but I would definitely have Doherty on the bench, at least, in case we struggle to manage and need to bring him on.

I wouldn''t be suprised to see Flem dropped and Doherty come in at centre-half. I don''t think this would be a good idea though as I think Flem has had a pretty decent start to the season. I would like to see the following team for Saturday:

Green

Edworthy
Charlton
Flem
Drury

Bentley
Mulryne
Francis
McVeigh

Hucks
Leon

Rub-a-dub-dubs:

Ward
Helveg
Jonnson
Doherty
Jarvis

I know some people might argue that we need a bit more steel in midfield against WBA as they are pretty physical and this is not something Mulryne gives you - but I always think we look a better side with him in the middle of the park.

[quote]I can''t see Docherty going to the WBA game...[/quote]

Do you know something we don''t Pete? Do you think I should put you up for the tosser league as you spelt his name wrong?

why not pete? insider info? surely he will at least be in the squad against WBA. As has been pointed out, if ever we need height in defence in the prem it''s against that lot!

It''s just been announced on Radio Broadland news that he has damaged his ankle and is doubtful for Saturday.