Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

SWAP DEAL---Clingan for Coventry's Robbie Simpson+ Cash!

http://www.edp24.co.uk/content/edp24/sport/story.aspx?brand=EDPOnline&category=SportVideo&tBrand=EDPOnline&tCategory=xSport&itemid=NOED11%20Jun%202009%2017%3A05%3A53%3A313

Yeh I dont know too much about simpson. I know we were linked with him a couple of years ago when he he was at cambridge but Coventry ended up getting him. I seem to remember him scoring quite a few there at first but then got injured and its been downhill since then

[quote user="the stump"]hope not unless its a good amount of cash ie £1.000.000 plus.clingan must be worth at least that!![/quote]

According to this mornings EDP that is what the offer is, Simpson plus £1m. I think that, if Clingan is going, then we won''t get a much better deal.

I would rather just the million and then use most of it towards a quality striker.

It could be a good move.

Simpson had bids rejected from Peterborough and Huddersfield in the transfer window.

He also played mainly on the right wing for Coventry and scored 5 goals in 16 starts (21 subs) and is also a good age at 24, hes a target man, apparently works his socks off and has something to prove here after being released as a kid. Also scored 30 in 66 games in the conference for Cambridge before moving to Cov.

So for me Clingan swap for Gill plus Simpson and £1m - good deal.

Agree - decent move all round. Bit disappointed to see Clingan go to Coventry, they weren''t much better than us last year and I feel sorry for any player that has to call the souless Ricoh Arena home!

He deserves somewhere better.

Good luck mate.

http://coventrycity.rivals.net/Forum/pgePosts.aspx?threadId=515040&boardId=104&clubId=27

Also an interesting read so far:

"Seems a bit pricey that. I thought we were gonna get 400k for Simmo anyway. "

"Is Clingan worth £1.3-4 million then?????

I didnt see either game against Norwich last year hence the question. He cant be all bad as I know that the Ipswich fans quite rate him and normally they cant stand anything in yellow and green!

Good move for Robbie as well, they really ought to do well next season."

my mate used to play with robbie simpson at cambridge when they were both at college (kinda like a scholarship thing). i think he was in the coventry side that beat man utd in one of the cups last season

Simpson began his footballing career with Norwich City at the age of nine where he spent six years on schoolboy terms.

Is it a requirement that new players have to have a connection with us?

Obviously is.It''s a long way home I guess?I like this - decent money for Clingan and a reasonable young striker in return.

[quote user="LQ"]Obviously is.

It''s a long way home I guess?

I like this - decent money for Clingan and a reasonable young striker in return.

[/quote]

I''d rather have Clingan, TBH. But considering it sounds like Clingan doesn''t want to stay, yes, I agree this is a good deal.

I like this - decent money for Clingan and a reasonable young striker in return.

[/quote]

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge... how close is is LQ?

I would have thought Clingan could have done a bit better for himself than Coventry, Simpson could be a decent aquisition for League 1 though so it may be a decent deal for us.

If Clingan''s got to go then this seems a good deal but has got me thinking......can anyone remember a ''swapped'' player going on to be a club legend? (for any club) because I can''t.

I don''t know any more than is in the paper - that''s pretty much what my mate in the West Mids told me on Wednesday.I didn''t believe it because I I thought Sammy would be looking higher than Coventry for his future but it''s a solid deal from our perspective if it comes off.

Well I dont think this is a good deal.  Clingan is the sort of player you build sides around.  He is the right age and has the right amount of talent.  I personally want him to stay.

The other thing that wrangles me is the price.  Football has gone money mad these last few seasons so why arent we quoting Cov figures like £3m for Clingan.  Everybody else seems to do it, look at the fight swansea are putting up for 2 members of the backroom team.  I want a chairman like that, someone with some balls and teeth for a fight.

Trouble is that if we haggle too much and nobody comes in for him, we could lose him for nothing in the Summer.

id take it seen him play a few times last season and seems like the same sort of player as mcdonald, i wanted us to sign him anyway but on top of that million do it, goodbye clingan, robbie simpson just the sort of player we should be going after

Did anyone notice on the edp video by Jonathan Fathead the picture of Stefanovic? he had some weird sponsor on the shirt, Benjimin or something, definitely wasnt Aviva.Whats all that about?

[quote user="Carlos Valderrama"]

Well I dont think this is a good deal.  Clingan is the sort of player you build sides around.  He is the right age and has the right amount of talent.  I personally want him to stay.

The other thing that wrangles me is the price.  Football has gone money mad these last few seasons so why arent we quoting Cov figures like £3m for Clingan.  Everybody else seems to do it, look at the fight swansea are putting up for 2 members of the backroom team.  I want a chairman like that, someone with some balls and teeth for a fight.

[/quote]

I agree with you Carlos. This isn''t a good deal. We have already let Marshall go for less than one third of what Man City are paying for the Sheff Wed keeper. We should be quoting £2m minimum for Clingan and stick to it. BUT he only has a year left on his contract so if he won''t sign an extension he has to go in this window. That is the problem with 2 year contracts and why we should never give them out.

The Benjamin Foundation? They sponsored our shirts for the Doncaster match, Aviva agreed to let a charity sponsor our shirts for a match. Which was awfully kind of them.

[/quote]

Oh sod it, I agree with LQ![:(]

Him for him plus case would be ok ish. As long as the other case is used for the playing squad.