Sign in to follow this  
kc canary

Doherty and Stevanovic

Now that it is hopefully a certainty tht we wil keep dejan, do you think that doherty and stevanovic wil provide a consistent, strong partnership in defence next season? i for one think they wil, although bringing in nelson wil be a very good call as he is experienced at this level and also stevanovic wil probably not be able to start every game and there r always going to be injury worries..

[quote user="kc canary"]Now that it is hopefully a certainty tht we wil keep dejan, do you think that doherty and stevanovic wil provide a consistent, strong partnership in defence next season? i for one think they wil, although bringing in nelson wil be a very good call as he is experienced at this level and also stevanovic wil probably not be able to start every game and there r always going to be injury worries..[/quote]

No defence partnership will be either strong or consistent with Doherty as a part of it.

i think Doherty might be a surprise sell... I wouldn''t be shocked if he goes.... he was ppretty good last season and could easily get a team in the championship... his wages are quite high also.

[quote user="kcf canary"]Now that it is hopefully a certainty tht we wil keep dejan, do you think that doherty and stevanovic wil provide a consistent, strong partnership in defence next season? i for one think they wil, although bringing in nelson wil be a very good call as he is experienced at this level and also stevanovic wil probably not be able to start every game and there r always going to be injury worries..[/quote]

I''d get rid of doc

[quote user="Facebook Sam"]

[quote user="kcf canary"]Now that it is hopefully a certainty tht we wil keep dejan, do you think that doherty and stevanovic wil provide a consistent, strong partnership in defence next season? i for one think they wil, although bringing in nelson wil be a very good call as he is experienced at this level and also stevanovic wil probably not be able to start every game and there r always going to be injury worries..[/quote]

I''d get rid of doc

[/quote]

Please

im sorry but gary doherty has been a brilliant player for us for a while now..he may not be the best defender but he has saved us a great many times. its just fans who dont really understand football who just remember the late tackles and red cards. am i alone in thinking tht he is a great asset for us?

[quote user="YoungRobert"][quote user="Facebook Sam"]

[quote user="kfc canary"]Now that it is hopefully a certainty tht we wil keep dejan, do you think that doherty and stevanovic wil provide a consistent, strong partnership in defence next season? i for one think they wil, although bringing in nelson wil be a very good call as he is experienced at this level and also stevanovic wil probably not be able to start every game and there r always going to be injury worries..[/quote]

I''d get rid of doc

[/quote]

Please

[/quote]

ok

[quote user="kfc bargain bucket canary"]im sorry but gary doherty has been a brilliant player for us for a while now..he may not be the best defender but he has saved us a great many times. its just fans who dont really understand football who just remember the late tackles and red cards. am i alone in thinking tht he is a great asset for us?[/quote]

Probably not. He did such a good job last season that we got relegated!

[quote user="kfc bargain bucket canary"]im sorry but gary doherty has been a brilliant player for us for a while now..he may not be the best defender but he has saved us a great many times. its just fans who dont really understand football who just remember the late tackles and red cards. am i alone in thinking tht he is a great asset for us?[/quote]

[/quote]

do u not think tht a lack of a consistent centre back partner might hav hindered the team? doc did a fine job and he always puts his all into every game...a worthy captain...the blame of relegation should not be put onto his shoulders..

[quote user="kc canary"]im sorry but gary doherty has been a brilliant player for us for a while now..he may not be the best defender but he has saved us a great many times. its just fans who dont really understand football who just remember the late tackles and red cards. am i alone in thinking tht he is a great asset for us?[/quote]

I''ve been watching football probably since before you were born.  I understand it reasonably well, and I know that Doherty is a liability.  Our defence has leaked goals since he has been with us, for which he has to take a share of the responsibility.  No successful team at any level has been built without a tight defence.  Doherty does not and is incapable of giving us that.

[quote user="First Wizard"]The Docs lack of pace and his octopuss tackling scares me, but maybe league one will be better for him.[/quote]

his tackling is sometimes not the most timely...however i think tht he does hav pace...maybe not the quckest player but certainly not the slowest. he wil be fantastic in league 1 and i think Chirp is correct in saying tht he cud be playing in the championship instead

[quote user="OldRobert"]

[quote user="kc canary"]im sorry but gary doherty has been a brilliant player for us for a while now..he may not be the best defender but he has saved us a great many times. its just fans who dont really understand football who just remember the late tackles and red cards. am i alone in thinking tht he is a great asset for us?[/quote]

I''ve been watching football probably since before you were born.  I understand it reasonably well, and I know that Doherty is a liability.  Our defence has leaked goals since he has been with us, for which he has to take a share of the responsibility.  No successful team at any level has been built without a tight defence.  Doherty does not and is incapable of giving us that.

[/quote]

Doherty is a good defender. Fact!..We wud be worse off without him next season..

[quote user="OldRobert"]

[/quote]Then you should realise, that despite the fact he''s not the best central defender, we would certainly not be able to bring in anyone better in our current situation.

[quote user="kc canary"]im sorry but gary doherty has been a brilliant player for us for a while now..he may not be the best defender but he has saved us a great many times. its just fans who dont really understand football who just remember the late tackles and red cards. am i alone in thinking tht he is a great asset for us?[/quote]Your alone on this message board KC, along with me. What you forget is tho that most of the posters dont actually go to matches, or are footballingly ignorant. Doc is no Bobby Moore but what he is is a no nonsense rock, his job is to keep the ball away from the goal, plain and simple, and he does it well. Doc and Shack kept us in the Championship the season before last, look what happened last season, Stefanovic, Kennedy, Omozusi, Grounds - Relegation.Only when Doc and Shack were reunited did we look like we might survive. If we''d have started with them im quite sure we''d have at least 9 more points, if anything because i remember at least 3 individual errors by Kennedy and Omozusi that directly resulted in goals conceded and the game lost.Doc gets stick, but only from narrow minded posters on here who think he should be Rio Ferdinand.

[quote user="OldRobert"]

[quote user="kc canary"]Now that it is hopefully a certainty tht we wil keep dejan, do you think that doherty and stevanovic wil provide a consistent, strong partnership in defence next season? i for one think they wil, although bringing in nelson wil be a very good call as he is experienced at this level and also stevanovic wil probably not be able to start every game and there r always going to be injury worries..[/quote]

No defence partnership will be either strong or consistent with Doherty as a part of it.

[/quote]

it will, the doc was one of our best players last season!!!!!!!!

[quote user="First Wizard"]The Docs lack of pace and his octopuss tackling scares me, but maybe league one will be better for him.[/quote]

lack of pace??

do you sit in either the barclay or the N&P because he is quick its just decieving!!

[/quote]Idiot.Look at the stats. Games with Kennedy, Omozsui, Grounds etc in defence and we leaked 2/3 goals every bloody game. Games with Doc and Shacks and we concede far far less on average per game. One brief look at the results table for last season and before xmas the against column is full of 2''s and 3''s. After xmas, and particulary from Feb onwards and Shack and Doc back together and there''s a couple of 2''s and 3''s and plenty of 0''s and 1''s.

finally some people talking sense...a lot of people some how do not see docs pace but it rely is there...he may be a little slow off the mark but he is a very quick centre back. he is what we need

[quote user="I am a Banana"]

lack of pace??

do you sit in either the barclay or the N&P because he is quick its just decieving!!

[/quote]True.Doc is far from slow. He is average paced, he just isnt Croft or Hucks quick. Only when faced with a pacey striker like Ebanks-Blake or someone does he look slow, but then he would wouldnt he?I do remember him outpacing Nathan Tyson and sliding in with a last ditch tackle, and Tyson had 2 yards on him.

Sorry, but while I think Doc will do fine in League 1 IF we keep him, he''s in a different world to John Kennedy.

Statistics of goals conceded don''t say everything, there''s a midfield, full backs and opposition to consider rather than just the number of goals against. I defy anyone who saw Kennedy play frequently to argue that he wasn''t head and shoulders above the other centre backs last season, perhaps Stefanovic excluded thanks to his injury.

Also - while people here are getting excited about Stefanovic pledging his commitment to the cause, didn''t Marshall do that a few days before leaving? It''s easy to say the right things when your agent is negotiating a move...maybe i''m wrong, I hope I am, but on his wages I think we might welcome a transfer fee.

[quote user="chase_out"]

Sorry, but while I think Doc will do fine in League 1 IF we keep him, he''s in a different world to John Kennedy.

Statistics of goals conceded don''t say everything, there''s a midfield, full backs and opposition to consider rather than just the number of goals against. I defy anyone who saw Kennedy play frequently to argue that he wasn''t head and shoulders above the other centre backs last season, perhaps Stefanovic excluded thanks to his injury.

Also - while people here are getting excited about Stefanovic pledging his commitment to the cause, didn''t Marshall do that a few days before leaving? It''s easy to say the right things when your agent is negotiating a move...maybe i''m wrong, I hope I am, but on his wages I think we might welcome a transfer fee.

[/quote]Chase Out i disagree with you 100%. You are totally wrong about Kennedy and i can only think that you only saw him a few times.Admittedly he did have 3 or 4 good games, but that was in contrast to being poor in the other 12. He was pretty good when he first came, but then he got a niggling injury and when he came back he was poor for the remainder of his time here. Slow as fuck and turned about as quick as a tree. Started making crucial errors every game that resulted in goals or goalscoring opportunites, and his performance drop affected his partner and the defence as a whole and youll notice our goals against tally started showing 2''s and 3''s when his form dropped.Im sorry Chase but your completely wrong about Kennedy, he'' slow, injury prone and made far too many mistakes. One match at home i watched home closely Sky Player Cam style, as i often do when i have a bee in my bonnet about a player, and in the first half he made about 13 mistakes, be that passes, tackles or headers. My memories of Kennedy were that he started well but soon faded and made as many mistakes in matches as he did great tackles and headers.

Funny how people see players so differently.

I always felt a LOT more comfortable with Kennedy in the team sheet. It''s easy to be blinded by the odd good performance, I remember Cov away on the opening day and if i''m right Kennedy and Stefanovic were impressive, only a Koroma catastrophe prevented a decent result.

I still think it''s hard to put the Doc above Kennedy in preference.

Either way, we don''t have that option. I''d keep Doc next year, but sadly I think Norwich fans will be expecting better even though most teams in League 1 would kill for someone like him. Doc and Stefanovic, on paper, is as good as league one will ever get...if they perform.

I agree. Doc is a very solid no nonsence type defender and is very much a confidence player. He needs to be partnered with someone that makes up for his frailties, ie someone that has pace in order to cover him and someone with a slightly quicker reading of the game. More importantly your 2 centre backs need to play together consistently in order to build up rapport and understanding. Something which didn`t happen last year. I for one think if Doc and Steff stay injury free we have the makings of a very very strong defensive partnership in this league

[quote user="OldRobert"]

[/quote]I have been playing football for the best part of 20 years now since around the age of 6/7. What I do see is that Doherty is actually good positionally and actually is pretty good tackling for most of the time. If you want to know where most of the mistakes happen - its normally because he is the last defender covering or going in to try and stop a shot or goal. On the occaisions where he is the last man he either stops the shot or he could catch the player.There have been a couple of occaisions where he has used his bear hug and he needs to quit that - but then to be fair its nothing more than other defenders do its just that he has been cought.I don''t think he is a bad defender - he may not be the best defender either but he is more than capable in the Championship so I would hope that he is more than capable at this level. People who are talking about getting rid of him whilst we still only have two centre backs at the club are crazy.

Doc was awesome for most parts of last season. He should have been player of the season. Anybody that blames him for relegation or thinks that he''s poor obviously is an arm chair fan or should just give up watching Norwich and maybe start watching Man Utd instead. Perhaps their team will satisfy your needs?

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="OldRobert"]

[/quote]

it will, the doc was one of our best players last season!!!!!!!!

[/quote]

In your opinion