Sign in to follow this  
Evil Monkey

Performance Analyst... what exactly does he do?

Liam Weeks has his shiny, happy face appear on the squad photos these days, alongside the job title ''Performance Analyst''.  Given the appalling nature of many of the performances last season, surely his role has to be brought into question alongside the rest of the coaching staff.  Sure he''s probably not responsible for their match-day ability, but his job will probably be to look at the team and individuals and recommend areas of improvement.  This is all well and good, but he swans about looking all crisp and clean in his Mercedes, so you can bet he''s on a pretty hefty salary for his efforts.  "Lee," he''d be saying last season, "your running last game was fine, as usual, but I still think you need to work on your crossing."  Or... "Lads, your passing was spot-on, but we need to work on getting the ball forward instead of side-to-side."Which, lets face it, is exactly what some 25,000 people paid to tell the team every other week last season!  In these hard financial times, surely a better option would be to invite the fans to vote not just for their MOTM, but for their Worst Player of the Match, with the resulting ''winner'' forced to cleans the bogs with a toothbrush for the next week.... Would work better than a quick one-on-one with Mr Weeks, surely, and we could put his salary into the transfer kitty.... [;)]Anyone else know what he''s supposed to do, or have alternative options?

I don''t know exactly what a "Performance Analyst" does but he could be doing his job to the best of his ability only for his efforts to be wasted if the players and coaches do not take on his recommendations. If you are not privvy to the goings on at Colney then you can not say that this guy does not deserve to keep his job.

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]I don''t know exactly what a "Performance Analyst" does but he could be doing his job to the best of his ability only for his efforts to be wasted if the players and coaches do not take on his recommendations. If you are not privvy to the goings on at Colney then you can not say that this guy does not deserve to keep his job.[/quote]

But surely he should prepare a team to at least try for ninety + minutes every game not the lethargic performances seen in some games last season.

[quote user="ridgeman"]

[quote user="Mustachio Furioso"]I don''t know exactly what a "Performance Analyst" does but he could be doing his job to the best of his ability only for his efforts to be wasted if the players and coaches do not take on his recommendations. If you are not privvy to the goings on at Colney then you can not say that this guy does not deserve to keep his job.[/quote]

But surely he should prepare a team to at least try for ninety + minutes every game not the lethargic performances seen in some games last season.

[/quote]

Again it''s really down to what sort of performance he is analysing, is it the team as a whole or indiviuals? Is he working out where our passes are made successfully, who is liable to get dispossed easily, who covers the most grass, etc, etc? Apparently there is computer software available where you video your matches, feed in the data and HAL9000 tells you where your weak areas are and what needs to be done to improve your performance. All I''m saying is that Liam Weeks could be doing all this and more but if the Manager, Coaches and players are ignoring it then surely he is not to blame? If this is the case of course then someone like McNally should pick up on it and ask some questions. All hypothetical of course but I can''t see why this guy should be singled out for the chop if we don''t have a case against him.

Obviously Mustachio is unaware of the concept of ''tongue-in-cheek'', which should have been made obvious from the winks and smilies in my original post.The man clearly has a job to do, I just can''t seem to understand what it is in the context of our poor performances last year, the analysis of which seems blindingly obvious - we were sh*t! [:)]

He''s in charge of the information the club recieves from ProZone. Thats a lot of statistical stuff about their performance e.g. successful passes completed, their fitness e.g. recovery rates during the game, and effort e.g. how much they run off the ball, etc. He sits down with the players (or some of them at least) a day or two after the games and they watch their game, analyse themselves by discusing stuff and talk about what the statistics show e.g. too few passes fowards. I was on some sports leaders day at Carrow Road a while back and he did a presentation. Aparently the ball is normally out of play for something like 45 minutes each game, which shocked me as that shows you how rubbishly lacking injury time is. 

ProZone or other performance analysis is amazing and it''s an essential part of any professional football club nowdays. If you check out Prozone''s website you can see what I mean looking at the testimonials section.