Sign in to follow this  
kc canary

Alan Gow

I, as im sure all of you, hav heard the rumours of us signing this player and that player. Being linked with people such as lee and shackell who i think, unfortunately, we may hav to resign ourselves to not getting. however, i think tht alan gow has been overlooked (unless i have over looked a post) although he was not the best player at carrow road last season, he was by no means the worst and i think that he could do a job for us in league 1, either up front or indeed on the left should we lose wes. I was of the belief that wen we got him on loan that is was with the understanding we could sign him permamently if he impressed? i assume it must be a money issue but was wondering what other peoples thoughts on this wer?

Alan Gow was moments away from signing for Wolves, until his medical intervened. Somehow think he will be setting his sights slightly higher than the consolidation in Division Three that many seem to have targeted. And with what are we going to buy him with anyway?

Gow started well and looked skillful and i would like to see him here again, but towards the end of his loan he lost his flair. I would rather other players instead of himbut i wouldn''t mind seeing him return.

[quote user="kc canary"]I, as im sure all of you, hav heard the rumours of us signing this player and that player. Being linked with people such as lee and shackell who i think, unfortunately, we may hav to resign ourselves to not getting. however, i think tht alan gow has been overlooked (unless i have over looked a post) although he was not the best player at carrow road last season, he was by no means the worst and i think that he could do a job for us in league 1, either up front or indeed on the left should we lose wes. I was of the belief that wen we got him on loan that is was with the understanding we could sign him permamently if he impressed? i assume it must be a money issue but was wondering what other peoples thoughts on this wer?[/quote]

if hoolahan gets sold, he MUST be 1st choice replacement!

No he isn''t Premiership standard. I think that Mick McCarthy would now be happy that he didn''t sign him because he isn''t physical enough for the Prem. If Hoolahan leaves then i would love to see him back.

may i be so bold as to query what the point is of these various threads discussing players that no longer play for our esteemed club, and are not likely to ever again in the forseeable? If there is a valid reason, then can someone start a Carney/Archibald-Henville/Sibierski thread? (delete as applicable).

wel thts wat i was thinkin...i thought he started very wel..maybe not so good towards the end of the season..but then again who was? he could definately do a job..i dnt think he wud be tht experienced. and i think tht we wud be the kind of team he shud be aiming for

Fonejacker wrote the following post at 10/06/2009 9:40 PM:

may i be so bold as to query what the point is of these various threads discussing players that no longer play for our esteemed club, and are not likely to ever again in the forseeable? If there is a valid reason, then can someone start a Carney/Archibald-Henville/Sibierski thread? (delete as applicable).

to see what peoples views are on the good ones coming back...problem?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

If Gunn wasn''t prepared to play him in that game at Charlton, I can''t think he''s too bothered about siging him?

[/quote]

yeh coz tht game worked out so wel for us...another managerial error by gunn i fear

[quote user="kc canary"][quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

If Gunn wasn''t prepared to play him in that game at Charlton, I can''t think he''s too bothered about siging him?

[/quote]

yeh coz tht game worked out so wel for us...another managerial error by gunn i fear

[/quote]

Thats not the poin that GJL was trying to make though is it? we dont sign the players, Gunn signs the players.

Gow was very good when played as a forward and got 2 man of the match awards in this position. When he was moved on the wing, he didn''t do to well. So as a forward, he''s very good. But as a winger, no thanks!

But there is always the possibility that Gunn looks back on that game and thinks - if only I had played Gow up front with Lee.....

I know I do.

Still cannot see him coming to the 3rd tier when I am sure someone like blackpool would take him to the champ.

Things went wrong for Gow (and ironically, the entire team too) when we brought in Alan Lee and broke up the Gow and Mooney strike-partnership.I''m surprised so few people seemed to see or discuss it, but after we "dropped" Gow from his forward role with Mooney our relegation fight came to an abrupt end - we stopped scoring goals, stopped winning games and then got relegated, all so we could accomodate Alan Lee''s role at the club.

[quote user="Tim Allman"]

He won’t be coming back. His choice not ours.[/quote]

To be honest, if I arrived at a club, wasn''t played for ages, then finally played upfront and did really well for a couple of games (which we won), and then was pushed out to the wing where I was far less effective and we started losing games, and then dropped altogether because of poor displays playing in the wrong position... I don''t think I''d come back either.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"][quote user="Tim Allman"]

He won’t be coming back. His choice not ours.[/quote]

To be honest, if I arrived at a club, wasn''t played for ages, then finally played upfront and did really well for a couple of games (which we won), and then was pushed out to the wing where I was far less effective and we started losing games, and then dropped altogether because of poor displays playing in the wrong position... I don''t think I''d come back either.

[/quote]

Is the correct reason.

[quote user="Beds Canary"]Things went wrong for Gow (and ironically, the entire team too) when we brought in Alan Lee and broke up the Gow and Mooney strike-partnership.

I''m surprised so few people seemed to see or discuss it, but after we "dropped" Gow from his forward role with Mooney our relegation fight came to an abrupt end - we stopped scoring goals, stopped winning games and then got relegated, all so we could accomodate Alan Lee''s role at the club.
[/quote]

Exactly, I Noticed This Too :) Gow Got Replaced For Lee Who Didn''t Do Much At All! I Would Like To See Gow Come Back. He Showed Quality.

Rangers Said Gow Would Be Going At The End Of The Season And I Have Heard No Rumours As To Anyone Being Interested In Him. So You Never Know. Maybe He Could Back. Most Unlikely Though.

personally i thought gow was pretty lightweight, took too many touches and was rather inconsistent, tho in his defense he was played all over the shop.

I thought Alan Gow showed some moments of class for us but most of the time he lacked the pace to get away from defenders after doing them with a bit of skill.

Had a couple of very good games but most of the time lacked any real conviction.

I remember in one of the final home games he cleverly worked some space on the edge of the box but let go a pretty lazy shot. It drew an "oooh" from the crowd because it was in the general direction of the goal but really it wasn''t the shot struck by a man desperate to score. Apart from that there were numerous times in games when he could have easily stuck his foot in to win the ball but decided to let the man get away.

Probably a good player but maybe not the type of player you need to battle against relegation.

I quite liked Gow, and think that the above points about him and Mooney doing well up front together are well reasoned. I think he could do a job if played in his correct position. Having said that he is uber lightweight and is likely to be bullied out of games in what is a very very physical league 1. Can you imagine some clogging centre back steaming into him at full pelt, he`d snap!!!!