Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Goalkeeper Colin Doyle loan deal?

The one position where a "loanee" is a good idea. Encourages Rudd and Steer and lets them see that they have time to develop without the barrier of a full-time quality keeper ahead of them. Good move imo.

I think he would be a great signing at this level. He was wanted by Man U and Chelsea a while ago when he was in Birmingham''s first team. Very tall, physical goalie with shoot stopping ability, sign him up!

We need an experienced keeper, this guy would be a good bet while the youngsters are brought on more slowly.  Sounds like a sensible bit of business if it happens.

seems a sensible idea to me, an experienced keeper is needed with just Rudd and Steer on the books. I know it''s a loan but it''s unrealistic to think we can build a new side without 1 or 2 borrowed players

Agree. The one area where a season long loan makes a lot of sense. No point spending money on a permanent transfer of a goalkeeper who will just block Rudds progress. Don''t know anything about Doyle though!

This guy would walk into most Championship teams so I don''t see him coming here.

Plus the GK position is the one PERMANENT signing you want - you build from the back.

We hardly want another season of Gallagher, Ashdown, Warner ect.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]Wouldn''t be a bad signing, IMO. Would prefer to see a keeper here permenantly though.
[/quote]

I must admit that at first glance of "loan" in the title I was reluctant see such a deal as being what we need , but in light of the comments of "P''boro" and several others here I can see it having some potential.

He is 6''5" tall and would hopefully have no problem with high crosses that have caused us so much problem during Marshal''s reign so that''s another plus point maybe ?

But please Gunny, try to keep loanees down to an absolute minimum, PLEASE !

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]seems a sensible idea to me, an experienced keeper is needed with just Rudd and Steer on the books. I know it''s a loan but it''s unrealistic to think we can build a new side without 1 or 2 borrowed players[/quote]Totally agree, depends how ready they think Rudd is I suppose. If they believe he is ready, this Doyle chap may well be backup, in case Rudd has a nightmare.

[quote user="Mushroom"]This guy would walk into most Championship teams so I don''t see him coming here. Plus the GK position is the one PERMANENT signing you want - you build from the back. We hardly want another season of Gallagher, Ashdown, Warner ect.[/quote]

Sorry but I disagree. if he''s here for a season then he should be committed. The reason we don''t want a permanent signing for GK is that in a years time we will want to bring Rudd into the team to avoid another joe lewis situation. Given that we won''t sign anyone decent on a one year contract i don''t see what choice we have unless you want us to waste money on an experienced goalkeeper who will end up blocking the progress of Rudd and Steer.

[quote user="Pboro_Canary"]His Sherlock Holmes books were pretty wicked as well.[/quote]

Shamefully, that comment made me smile ever so slightly.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Plus what is the difference between a one year loan and signing a player on a one year contract.[/quote]

One year loanees can sometimes be good players. One year contracts are players like Mark Fotheringham.

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"]

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Plus what is the difference between a one year loan and signing a player on a one year contract.[/quote]

One year loanees can sometimes be good players. One year contracts are players like Mark Fotheringham.

[/quote] Idiot

Tough crowd! He''s an excellent keeper for this level, and a good championship keeper. He''ll have a point to prove this season either to earn a first team place at Brum or a transfer elsewhere. If he''s available he''s probably the best GK we can get either on loan or permanently so we should go for it.  People on here seem to be determined to deride the club at every given opportunity, if Doyle comes in the club will have made three signings already, which isn''t bad considering it''s only mid June, and there''s nearly 2 months till the start of the season. We''ve signed 2 talented players in a position that we need cover and starters for and it''s obvious the club are working on other targets as well.  Stop moaning for once.If we signed Ronaldo I''m certain people on here would complain he''s not cut out for League 1 or something equaly retarded.

Good thing for Rudd and Steer and a good loan signing I would think. He''s not a bad keeper and has got some experience.

[quote user="MIA"]id rather sign a 33+ year old keeper who is experienced and wants to mentor.keepers like colgan or bennett etc.[/quote]same here.  A loan is possibly the next best thing though - what we don''t want is a big signing who gets in the way of Rudd, so a short term deal through age of loan is the way forward in this position imo.I see season long loans as different to short term ones anyway, much less objectionable as they don''t muck up the team''s spirit and togetherness the way short terms ones do.  After all, many permanent signings don''t last much more than 1 year eg Ashton  - I know we made a profit on him, but keepers don''t make profits like that.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Plus what is the difference between a one year loan and signing a player on a one year contract.[/quote]can be recalled at any time if on loan

[quote user="Norwich74"][quote user="Jim Kent"]Plus what is the difference between a one year loan and signing a player on a one year contract.[/quote]can be recalled at any time if on loan[/quote]This is not true, otherwise Gunn would have had Martin and Spillane back from luton early.  There is a one week period at the beginnning of january in which they can be recalled.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="MIA"]id rather sign a 33+ year old keeper who is experienced and wants to mentor.keepers like colgan or bennett etc.[/quote]same here.  A loan is possibly the next best thing though - what we don''t want is a big signing who gets in the way of Rudd, so a short term deal through age of loan is the way forward in this position imo.I see season long loans as different to short term ones anyway, much less objectionable as they don''t muck up the team''s spirit and togetherness the way short terms ones do.  After all, many permanent signings don''t last much more than 1 year eg Ashton  - I know we made a profit on him, but keepers don''t make profits like that.[/quote]young keepers react in different way as well, not every good young talent can immediately step upsmithies for example has slotted right in, but keepers like tom heaton needs a year or 2 more to mature.i dont think it would hurt to have an older keeper coming in to help the young keepers, not only to offer competition or advice, but to avoid high pressure on them through playing games hen not ready.The added advantage of this as well is that as a young keeper develops and progresses, the elder keeper is likely to be towards the end of his career. thus, the switch over happens well between the 2 keepers, if we get a loan, i dont mind, but im sure there are better options in the permanent market.

I agree with most people that players (especially ''keepers) need someone with experience to help them develop. I don''t think Doyle will be the ''keeper to do this as he is only 24.

However, our GK coach is a certain Mr Crichton (not the one from Red Dwarf) so I think that "expereince" could easily come form him instead of a mentor who plays.

He May Not Have Much Experience, But He Will Be More Experienced Than Rudd And Steer. Plus He Will Be Able To Cope Better Than Them Psychically!

[quote user="Jen_Jen"]

Plus He Will Be Able To Cope Better Than Them Psychically!

[/quote]

Hmmm, on the evidence of last season an ability to commune with the dead is a requirement for anyone stood behind our back four so maybe you have a point.

[quote user="Mushroom"]This guy would walk into most Championship teams so I don''t see him coming here. Plus the GK position is the one PERMANENT signing you want - you build from the back. We hardly want another season of Gallagher, Ashdown, Warner ect.[/quote]

Gallacher WAS a permanent keeper, it turned out he was rubbish, we were stuck with him and forced into SHORT TERM loans for Warner, Ashdown, Camp etc.....

Season long loans can actually work very well, it is the numerous pointless short term loans that unsettle the squad. Look at Luton, they had several season long loans, including Spillane and Martin...... and they felt like Luton was their home for the year. 

I have got no problem with season long loans at all, its just the short term loans (e.g. emergency loans) that really should be kept for emergencies only. A concept that Roeder failed to grasp.

If we are signing quality players on a season long loan, this is effectively like signing a player on a one year contract. I cant see the problem with it at all.  One of our better (slightly) better loan signings last year was Ryan Bertrand, who I would have back for another year, not sure about everybody else..... not that he would want to come, but I would have Bertrand for another year.

[quote user="Norwich74"][quote user="Jim Kent"]Plus what is the difference between a one year loan and signing a player on a one year contract.[/quote]can be recalled at any time if on loan[/quote]just not true at all - some loans are like this, others, where a fee is involved, don''t have the option to recall, although if the player is injured during the course of the loan the loaning club will have to pay his wages rather than just send him back.