Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Let's have Robert Chase & Peter Cullum on the NCFC Board.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]The commonest reason I have seen for criticising Chase is that given in Canary Citizens, the history of the club:

"March 14th 1996 will go down as one of the saddest and most significant days in the club''s history. With the bank clamouring for a reduction in the club''s debt the Canaries were forced to sell Jon Newsome to Sheffield Wednesday for £1.2m and Ashley Ward to Derby County for £1m."

[/quote]

What utter trash!

It was actually £1.6m. Both players sold on at healthy profits. In Newsome''s case it was another example was Chase striking an excellent deal for a player carrying an injury concern which would result in him playing only 60 professional games over the following 4 years, until retiring.

How ever many ''fire sales'' have we witnessed under the managent of Smiths board?!

This is an example of a ''Smith Myth'':

''only a fire sale saved the club from quite possible oblivion''.

[quote user="7rew"]

[quote user="Cluck is God"]

The sheep are those that continue to follow the belief that all things green and yellow must be defended from criticism.... no matter how abysmal things may be.

If some of you had witheld your season ticket money or stayed away from games 2 years ago maybe this disastrous scenario we have now could have been averted. Instead you/they just blindly carried on munching the grass while things went from bad to worse. Smith had you in the bag.

[/quote]

The word you omitted here was "unfounded" it should have occured between from and critisim.  It is a key word when dealing with the likes of you.

If wishes were horses I''d be king of the world, or have won the grand national!  If some more people witheld your season ticket money or stayed away from games 2 years ago maybe the club would have gone bust then and not exist now.  It didn''t happen, and we won''t know what would have happened - getting all superior about it won''t wash.

By the way, congrats on not having a season ticket, don''t you live in/near bournemouth, it is a real sacrifice to avoid the 8 hour round trip every two weeks!  Although I''m taking more credit than you, I also have no season ticket and sacrifice a 9 hour round trip every two weeks!

[/quote]

Grow up for God''s sake....

Rather more embarrassing from you than usual......

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Well one post your saying I do nothing and blindly hand over my season ticket money, Ive just said ive not had a season ticket for a couple of years now (After 11 years of having one), and now your saying ive still done nothing. Im not the sort of person whos going to go out and lead a protest, im a pretty relaxed guy, far more important things in life etc etc. If that means I blindly follow Queen Delias lead then so be it.

Would you mind answering my questions from ages ago on this thread? Ive always been under the impression Chase was the devil, everyone wanted him out, the protests were intense etc etc. Now people want him back, and someone above reckoned most fans didnt want him out in the place. As someone who wasnt around then Id like to know what the truth is? And this is ignoring any thoughts on Delia...
[/quote]

The business with Chase followed years of earlier success and exaggerated the reactions of a group of disgruntled fans with ideas above our sustained capabilities. I didn''t protest against him... and I remain a firm believer that he created a special era at NCFC and should be hailed rather than condemned.

The reactions of supporters will always be more extreme when falling from a greater height.... a height no-one could have ever have forseen at Carrow Road. Now we have no further to fall.... and both lethargy and acceptance are the order of the day.

This is why Robert Chase is unfairly reviled.... and Delia Smith has made the most of it all by creating a bogey man to suit her own ends. We wouldn''t have gone under with her intervention.... but that of course flies in the face of the legend that is Saint Delia.... 

The rest as they say is history. 

Delia Out, if you dispute the £1.2m figure for Newsome take it up with the authors

of the book. As to the circumstances of those sales, those players may

have been sold for a bit of a profit but we still should have got more

for both of them. Ward, for example, went only two years later

to Blackburn Rovers for £4.5m. We got only £1m - a laughably small sum

for a striker in his prime in those days - because we were forced to

sell. And we were forced to sell because the bank had put a gun to our

head. And Chase has to take the blame for that. If we ever get into

that extreme position with Smith and Jones then they will take the

blame. So far we haven''t.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Delia Out, if you dispute the £1.2m figure for Newsome take it up with the authors of the book. As to the circumstances of those sales, those players may have been sold for a bit of a profit but we still should have got more for both of them.

Ward, for example, went only two years later to Blackburn Rovers for £4.5m. We got only £1m - a laughably small sum for a striker in his prime in those days - because we were forced to sell. And we were forced to sell because the bank had put a gun to our head. And Chase has to take the blame for that. If we ever get into that extreme position with Smith and Jones then they will take the blame. Ho!Ho! Ho! So far we haven''t.[/quote]

Why don''t you tell us the reason that that particular bank manager put a gun to our head at that particular time - and whether or not that action was in accord with common or prudent practice at that time.

I would remind you that our debt at that time was about 6m and more than easily covered by the asset value of the players on the books (Not even to start to mention fixed assets)

I would also remind you that our debt today is about 22m and rising. Now, please tell us what tiny portion of that is covered by current player assets?????????????

OTBC

Thanks for more replies. So am I right to say that on the whole the people who protested against Chase are now Delia fans, and people who didnt protest against Chase are now anti-delia? It would seem odd that the protestors back then, who apparently werent happy with us falling from our position as a potential European team, would now be so happy with us sliding into league one?

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Thanks for more replies. So am I right to say that on the whole the people who protested against Chase are now Delia fans, and people who didnt protest against Chase are now anti-delia? It would seem odd that the protestors back then, who apparently werent happy with us falling from our position as a potential European team, would now be so happy with us sliding into league one?
[/quote]

No I don''t think that is correct Trent.

You still have the same sort of cross section of fans that are fors and againsts.

I think you would find that fans like Gazza the great and Andy Larkin,Wiz etc were as much against Chase as they are against Delia.

It''s the level of decline at the club that the "hardened" supporter finds hard to accept.

I did not protest against Chase, as I have posted before, I knew what was going on "inside" and although he was due to depart, the manner of his departure and the lies(myths) and manipulation that went on to remove him I could not agree with. His main mistake being to run a "business" the size the club grew to, on overdraft only,thisleft him and through him the club,very vunerable to the whims of certain people.

It is strange to say but he left the club in a far stronger position than when he arrived, on all fronts, and yet he is still villified.

[quote user="CT "]

Had Chase not been so bad I am of the opinion that Delia wouldnt have got away with half of the things shes done...

[/quote]

CT you are not even old enough to have been involved. How do you know "Chase was so bad".

Where is your proof coming from?

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Thanks for more replies. So am I right to say that on the whole the people who protested against Chase are now Delia fans, and people who didnt protest against Chase are now anti-delia? It would seem odd that the protestors back then, who apparently werent happy with us falling from our position as a potential European team, would now be so happy with us sliding into league one?
[/quote]

Do you actually know anyone, even the most rabid Delia supporter who is happy that we are in League 1?  If you do please tell me because I would love to meet them.  If you don''t then why post such rubbish?

[quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Thanks for more replies. So am I right to say that on the whole the people who protested against Chase are now Delia fans, and people who didnt protest against Chase are now anti-delia? It would seem odd that the protestors back then, who apparently werent happy with us falling from our position as a potential European team, would now be so happy with us sliding into league one?[/quote]

Do you actually know anyone, even the most rabid Delia supporter who is happy that we are in League 1?  If you do please tell me because I would love to meet them.  If you don''t then why post such rubbish?

[/quote]Was exaggerating, as im Anti-Delia but have been described as a sheep who is blindly happy with things on a few occasions.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Thanks for more replies. So am I right to say that on the whole the people who protested against Chase are now Delia fans, and people who didnt protest against Chase are now anti-delia? It would seem odd that the protestors back then, who apparently werent happy with us falling from our position as a potential European team, would now be so happy with us sliding into league one?[/quote]

You still have the same sort of cross section of fans that are fors and againsts.

I think you would find that fans like Gazza the great and Andy Larkin,Wiz etc were as much against Chase as they are against Delia.

It''s the level of decline at the club that the "hardened" supporter finds hard to accept.

I did not protest against Chase, as I have posted before, I knew what was going on "inside" and although he was due to depart, the manner of his departure and the lies(myths) and manipulation that went on to remove him I could not agree with. His main mistake being to run a "business" the size the club grew to, on overdraft only,thisleft him and through him the club,very vunerable to the whims of certain people.

It is strange to say but he left the club in a far stronger position than when he arrived, on all fronts, and yet he is still villified.

[/quote]Well if thats the case then that leads to a further question, I only came on here (Havent really visited for several months) as I found it strange that multiple people on here have wished for Chase back, when I had always assumed these would be the same people who wanted him gone in the first place. The question therefore is do the people who want Chase back mean it, or is it just another way of expressing dissatisfaction with Smith?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Delia Out, if you dispute the £1.2m figure for Newsome take it up with the authors of the book. As to the circumstances of those sales, those players may have been sold for a bit of a profit but we still should have got more for both of them.

Ward, for example, went only two years later to Blackburn Rovers for £4.5m. We got only £1m - a laughably small sum for a striker in his prime in those days - because we were forced to sell. And we were forced to sell because the bank had put a gun to our head. And Chase has to take the blame for that. If we ever get into that extreme position with Smith and Jones then they will take the blame. So far we haven''t.[/quote]

Take your pick, but it was confirmed by all sources at the time as £1.6m

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Newsome

http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=5837

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/jamie.wilson/baol/player2.html

http://www.leedsfans.org.uk/leeds/players/457.html

A HEALTHY PROFIT MADE ON BOTH. EXCELLENT DEAL FOR NEWSOME, GIVEN HIS INJURY. GOOD PROFIT ON WARD, & YES HIS VALUE CONTINUED TO INCREASE. PLEASE TELL US ABOUT THE MILLIONS OF LOST REVENUE UNDER THE CURRENT BOARD WITH REGARDS EADIE, O''NEILL, MILLS, AKINBIYI...........

Please discontinue attempting to defend the pathetic management of our club under Smith. Wake up, do!

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="CambridgeCanary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Was exaggerating, as im Anti-Delia but have been described as a sheep who is blindly happy with things on a few occasions.
[/quote]

Thanks.  Me too!!

DEB, thanks for advising me to discontinue doing something I wasn''t

doing. I was not taking sides in the Chase/Smith debate; I think it''s

much more complicated than some posters allow.I was responding

to Trent Canary''s question about what was the main complaint against

Chase, quoting the book that seems to be the most authoritative history

of the club to give him an answer.How explaining the major criticism of Chase is defending Smith and Jones is quite beyond me.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]DEB, thanks for advising me to discontinue doing something I wasn''t doing. I was not taking sides in the Chase/Smith debate; I think it''s much more complicated than some posters allow.

I was responding to Trent Canary''s question about what was the main complaint against Chase, quoting the book that seems to be the most authoritative history of the club to give him an answer.

How explaining the major criticism of Chase is defending Smith and Jones is quite beyond me.[/quote]

Ok, fair enough. Just like our beloved EDP, it contains a few inaccuracies!

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well if thats the case then that leads to a further question, I only came on here (Havent really visited for several months) as I found it strange that multiple people on here have wished for Chase back, when I had always assumed these would be the same people who wanted him gone in the first place. The question therefore is do the people who want Chase back mean it, or is it just another way of expressing dissatisfaction with Smith?
[/quote]

No I don''t think anyone would want the "old lad" back. He must be getting far too old to want that sort of hassle ever again.

I think it''s a degree of frustration and a large amount of tongue in cheek.(that''s a better place for a tongue than what most anti fans think DS supporters have it[:D])

In passing it''s nice to see his old side kick JJ getting an honour!!

I  get fed up with the pro Delia saviour mob forever decrying what RC achieved.

No-one is suggesting we want Robert Chase back as he is yesterday''s man.  The point is that he gave us truly great times at NCFC and yet he is now strangely reviled. Compare that well documented success to Delia Smith''s tenure where the heart has been ripped out of the club and become a national joke... yet still she maintains this hardcore of support. Why?

I should also point out that despite all of the vitriol poured out in his direction about the debts he ran up..... it was small beer compared to what we have now.... and there were players on the pitch able to recoup it.

Can anybody with reasonable thinking say that what we have today is anything other than a sad shadow of what Robert Chase gave us?

In the thread entitled... : Let''s have Robert Chase & Peter Cullum on the NCFC Board.Cluck wrote :No-one is suggesting we want Robert Chase back as he is yesterday''s man.Somebody must be, otherwise why does this thread have this title ?  [quote]The point is that he gave us truly great times at NCFC and yet he is

now strangely reviled. [/quote]Because that''s what happens to chairmen of football clubs when the clubs are threatened with fore-closure, when the money runs out they have served their purpose.  People also believed (rightly or wrongly) that Chase was crooked in some way, and this appeared to be backed up with the fire-sales of key players, and the argument with O ''Neill over Windass.[quote]Compare that well documented success to Delia

Smith''s tenure where the heart has been ripped out of the club and

become a national joke... yet still she maintains this hardcore of

support. Why?[/quote]Because people believe (rightly or wrongly) that they are in safe financial hands, that there will be a club in the future, it seems a lot of them  will tolerate poor performance on the pitch.With that said, if we are struggling in division 3 come Xmas time, I would think that even the staunchest supporters will be questioning their position.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]In the thread entitled... :

Let''s have Robert Chase & Peter Cullum on the NCFC Board.

Cluck wrote :

No-one is suggesting we want Robert Chase back as he is yesterday''s man.

Somebody must be, otherwise why does this thread have this title ? 

[quote]The point is that he gave us truly great times at NCFC and yet he is now strangely reviled. [/quote]

Because that''s what happens to chairmen of football clubs when the clubs are threatened with fore-closure, when the money runs out they have served their purpose.  People also believed (rightly or wrongly) that Chase was crooked in some way, and this appeared to be backed up with the fire-sales of key players, and the argument with O ''Neill over Windass.

[quote]Compare that well documented success to Delia Smith''s tenure where the heart has been ripped out of the club and become a national joke... yet still she maintains this hardcore of support. Why?[/quote]

Because people believe (rightly or wrongly) that they are in safe financial hands, that there will be a club in the future, it seems a lot of them  will tolerate poor performance on the pitch.

With that said, if we are struggling in division 3 come Xmas time, I would think that even the staunchest supporters will be questioning their position.

[/quote]

Firstly I think it was a "tongue in cheek" statement thus suggesting a Robert Chase rather than the actual Robert Chase........

Secondly....a threat of fore-closure is a vastly different animal to actual fore-closure. This little piece of convenient spin has allowed Smith''s "saviour" status to reach the ridiculous legend it has become..... supported by the media who like a good story.

As for being in "safe hands"....we are skint and in the Third Division for the first time in 50 years. If that constitutes "security" then I must have got the meaning of the word wrong. There are too many modern day "supporters" with a psychotic need to hold somebody''s hand through life.... a "mother fixation" almost. Until they finally let go and discover that the big wide world can be exciting as well as dangerous....they (and we) will never move on.

As for survival?.... Just look at AFC Wimbledon. A club never dies as long it''s heart still beats deep inside......

[quote user="Cluck is God"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]In the thread entitled... :

Let''s have Robert Chase & Peter Cullum on the NCFC Board.

Cluck wrote :

No-one is suggesting we want Robert Chase back as he is yesterday''s man.

Somebody must be, otherwise why does this thread have this title ? 

[quote]The point is that he gave us truly great times at NCFC and yet he is now strangely reviled. [/quote]

Because that''s what happens to chairmen of football clubs when the clubs are threatened with fore-closure, when the money runs out they have served their purpose.  People also believed (rightly or wrongly) that Chase was crooked in some way, and this appeared to be backed up with the fire-sales of key players, and the argument with O ''Neill over Windass.

[quote]Compare that well documented success to Delia Smith''s tenure where the heart has been ripped out of the club and become a national joke... yet still she maintains this hardcore of support. Why?[/quote]

Because people believe (rightly or wrongly) that they are in safe financial hands, that there will be a club in the future, it seems a lot of them  will tolerate poor performance on the pitch.

With that said, if we are struggling in division 3 come Xmas time, I would think that even the staunchest supporters will be questioning their position.

[/quote]

Firstly I think it was a "tongue in cheek" statement thus suggesting a Robert Chase rather than the actual Robert Chase........

Secondly....a threat of fore-closure is a vastly different animal to actual fore-closure. This little piece of convenient spin has allowed Smith''s "saviour" status to reach the ridiculous legend it has become..... supported by the media who like a good story.

As for being in "safe hands"....we are skint and in the Third Division for the first time in 50 years. If that constitutes "security" then I must have got the meaning of the word wrong. There are too many modern day "supporters" with a psychotic need to hold somebody''s hand through life.... a "mother fixation" almost. Until they finally let go and discover that the big wide world can be exciting as well as dangerous....they (and we) will never move on.

As for survival?.... Just look at AFC Wimbledon. A club never dies as long it''s heart still beats deep inside......

[/quote]

Be sure to keep tight hand on nurse

For fear of finding something worse.

Hillair Bellock

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Which came first - the mother fixation or the nanny state ?

[/quote]Quite clearly the Oedipus complex since it originated from a 5th Century BC Sophoclean play.The Nanny state is more a late 20th century ''Nu'' Labour initiative.

[quote user="Buckethead"][quote user="blahblahblah"]Which came first - the mother fixation or the nanny state ?

[/quote]Quite clearly the Oedipus complex since it originated from a 5th Century BC Sophoclean play.The Nanny state is more a late 20th century ''Nu'' Labour initiative.[/quote]Maybe the concept of a nanny state is older than we think ?[quote]Sparta had been the foremost exemplar of a nanny state, its people turning to their rulers to tell them whom to marry, what careers to choose and how much javelin-throwing to do.[/quote]Sparta was formed in 900 B.C.  Were there earlier nanny states ? [;)]

Say what you like about Bly (and people have!) but somehow his Chase thread has moved on to Freudian psychology and Greek city states...