Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Let's have Robert Chase & Peter Cullum on the NCFC Board.

I don''t see how all this namecalling is getting us anywhere.

Anyone who thinks Chase returning would be a cure all is quite clearly not all there.

The success of 1992-94 was done whilst the bank balance went into the red by a huge margin. Players were sold to try to balance the books whilst supporters were lied to.

I cannot believe that sane people who did live through the demonstrations, the police horses could ever want the man responsible for that back. Rose tinted spectacles is one way of looking at it.

However, I do not think Chase could be our saviour, nor do I believe the current board is either.

I don''t want to sink to name calling; the European run, top of the prem was done with careful nurturing of talent, youth talent in the previous decade; something the club had always been good at and something the club now has to get back to.

Money was wasted, as it has been in the last five years, both did very bad, stupid things. I don''t want either to be involved in the club any more.

Clear enough?

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="The Butler"]

No he should never come back, but I do wish some of the myths that were invented to blacken him by........would finally die.

[/quote]However, you are happy for the same tools to be reused agaist the current board?Administration, holes in the transfer budget, spin, lies about and deliberate misinterpretation of  her statements, etc...[/quote]Thats how I see it as well. Im firmly delia out, but I get more wound up on here reading things along those lines than any Pro-Delia post, some of the things on here are beyond belief at times. I completely agree with what Yelverton Yella had to say after my first post. Oh and if anyone can have a stab at answering my initial questions that would be most appreciated. Still trying to get a feel for what really went on with Chase.

[quote user="jelltex"]I don''t see how all this namecalling is getting us anywhere. Anyone who thinks Chase returning would be a cure all is quite clearly not all there. The success of 1992-94 was done whilst the bank balance went into the red by a huge margin. Players were sold to try to balance the books whilst supporters were lied to. I cannot believe that sane people who did live through the demonstrations, the police horses could ever want the man responsible for that back. Rose tinted spectacles is one way of looking at it. However, I do not think Chase could be our saviour, nor do I believe the current board is either. I don''t want to sink to name calling; the European run, top of the prem was done with careful nurturing of talent, youth talent in the previous decade; something the club had always been good at and something the club now has to get back to. Money was wasted, as it has been in the last five years, both did very bad, stupid things. I don''t want either to be involved in the club any more. Clear enough?[/quote]

Should have read 2003-2009!!

Chase wasn'' responsilble for the demos, horses etc.

And No he could not be our saviour now and I would not want him back.

I would however like the football back

[quote user="jelltex"]I don''t see how all this namecalling is getting us anywhere. Anyone who thinks Chase returning would be a cure all is quite clearly not all there. The success of 1992-94 was done whilst the bank balance went into the red by a huge margin. Players were sold to try to balance the books whilst supporters were lied to. I cannot believe that sane people who did live through the demonstrations, the police horses could ever want the man responsible for that back. Rose tinted spectacles is one way of looking at it. However, I do not think Chase could be our saviour, nor do I believe the current board is either. I don''t want to sink to name calling; the European run, top of the prem was done with careful nurturing of talent, youth talent in the previous decade; something the club had always been good at and something the club now has to get back to. Money was wasted, as it has been in the last five years, both did very bad, stupid things. I don''t want either to be involved in the club any more. Clear enough?[/quote]

Great post, summed up my thoughts on this topic perfectly.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="The Butler"]

No he should never come back, but I do wish some of the myths that were invented to blacken him by........would finally die.

[/quote]

However, you are happy for the same tools to be reused agaist the current board?

Administration, holes in the transfer budget, spin, lies about and deliberate misinterpretation of  her statements, etc...
[/quote]

Am I, can''t remember ever saying anything about administration other than to say very unlikely.

I don''t misinterpret her statements, she does a good enough job of confusion on her own without my help.

Are you perhaps confusing me with someone else?

The spin etc has come from them not from me.

Get a few facts right please.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="7rew"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]However, you are happy for the same tools to be reused agaist the current board?Administration, holes in the transfer budget, spin, lies about and deliberate misinterpretation of  her statements, etc...[/quote]

Am I, can''t remember ever saying anything about administration other than to say very unlikely.

I don''t misinterpret her statements, she does a good enough job of confusion on her own without my help.

[/quote]I didn''t say you did them, however you don''t object when they are brought up.  The spin has come from both sides, but the board seem much more spinned against than spinning as far as I can see.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="7rew"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

However, you are happy for the same tools to be reused agaist the current board?

Administration, holes in the transfer budget, spin, lies about and deliberate misinterpretation of  her statements, etc...
[/quote]

[/quote]

I didn''t say you did them, however you don''t object when they are brought up. 

The spin has come from both sides, but the board seem much more spinned against than spinning as far as I can see.
[/quote]

Must make a point of reading every thread and trying to get everyone to tell the truth![;)]

Or just post what I think like everyone else.

[quote user="The Butler"]I have not said united at all. Don''t twist the words Lapp.

Neither saved or ruined the club. That has come later and way past GW''s involvement.[/quote]I didn''t twist your words Buttles, in fact "united" was my word, not yours. Nor am I trying to create a debate. I was simply asking your view of events at that time as I know of your close involvement then, so your opinion carries more weight than most on here.

As for now, Let''s hope that lessons have been learned and that a corner has been turned.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="7rew"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]However, you are happy for the same tools to be reused agaist the current board?Administration, holes in the transfer budget, spin, lies about and deliberate misinterpretation of  her statements, etc...[/quote]Thats how I see it as well. Im firmly delia out, but I get more wound up on here reading things along those lines than any Pro-Delia post, some of the things on here are beyond belief at times. I completely agree with what Yelverton Yella had to say after my first post. Oh and if anyone can have a stab at answering my initial questions that would be most appreciated. Still trying to get a feel for what really went on with Chase.[/quote]Just to say I also agree with YY.  I would guess I am seen by many on here (and not just cluck) as a DeliaLALAlander and general Delianista, due to the thing that mainly irritates me on here (and so exercises me enough to post) being this kind of stuff.  In actual fact, I''d love to see a better board in place. I also think anyone who doesn''t put the word better into that sentance is a fool.and Butler, occasional ridicule of that kind of stuff when you think it goes to far would be quite helpful!

[quote user="Delia Out!"][quote user="ncfcfaithful"]

I think it''s important to realise Robert Chase was the chairman of this club when football was a very different game to what it is now.

He did a good job for a few years but then it turned sour when the modern game started catching up with his old school syle of management. 

This is a situation we find ourselves in again now where the modern game has overtaken the people running the club and fresh faces and investment are needed.  What is certainly not needed is Bob Chase as I don''t want to have to drive out to Halvergate again to make my feelings known!! 

[/quote]

Not that one again!

When Celtic became the first British club to win the European Cup............

When Manchester Utd lifted the same trophy at Wembley..........

When ITFC won the League Championship, FA Cup & Uefa Cup............

When Brian Clough took Derby & Forest to Championship & European successes............

When WE finished 3rd, 4th & 5th, and made it to 2 FA Cup semi''s, beat Bayern...........

YOU PRESUMABLY HOLD THE OPINION THAT - Football was very different in those days!

It was all so easy back then, under Smith we would have lifted all those trophies we narrowly missed out on under Chase!

Am I right?

---------------------------------------------------------------

HMMM..... No response from the Smith apologists!

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="7rew"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thats how I see it as well. Im firmly delia out, but I get more wound up on here reading things along those lines than any Pro-Delia post, some of the things on here are beyond belief at times. I completely agree with what Yelverton Yella had to say after my first post.

Oh and if anyone can have a stab at answering my initial questions that would be most appreciated. Still trying to get a feel for what really went on with Chase.
[/quote]

Just to say I also agree with YY.  I would guess I am seen by many on here (and not just cluck) as a DeliaLALAlander and general Delianista, due to the thing that mainly irritates me on here (and so exercises me enough to post) being this kind of stuff.  In actual fact, I''d love to see a better board in place. I also think anyone who doesn''t put the word better into that sentance is a fool.

and Butler, occasional ridicule of that kind of stuff when you think it goes to far would be quite helpful!
[/quote]

I try not to take sides so will argue with anyone about anything I think is wrong, still only my opinion though.

Having worked closely with the club through many years I do have a better past inside knowledge than most.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Cluck is God"]

So now we have the "different times" chant coming to the fore........Just maybe Robert Chase would have acted differently during these so called "different times"?

It''s a classic case of making an argument hinge on a hypothetical. The fact is....Third in the Premiership, Cup Finals and Semis plus European football (with a quality team on the pitch) against Third Division shame and a public joke of a club.

There is no comparison to make.........

[/quote]

Ever feel you are wasting your breath Cluck.

No matter what you can prove re Chase the same old myths and lies rear their heads.

I would gladly swap just the european nights for all the rubbish dished up in the last 10 years under the name of football!

Check my many previous posts, Chase was hounded out with help from certain quarters. That "hype" has not stopped since.

They have lived off what he did and now it''s gone they are struggling

[/quote]

I do feel that but if we just allow ourselves to be shouted down only the myth survives.....

In fairness to the youngsters they are probably only quoting what Smith and her spin machine have been feeding them for years in order to promote the "saviour" legend.... the facts being conveniently ignored in favour of fantasy.

It will all come out in the wash however and Smith will eventually go down as the biggest disaster ever to befall the club..... then they will simply say they never liked her all along put on another face.

It''s what sheep do........

DEB/ Cluck. The point I was trying to make was that time lends perspective to events- not that the last n years have been wonderful.Yes,

I can see my own children reminiscing fondly in a few year''s time about

the time they went to the Playoff final in Cardiff and what a superb

atmosphere there was or how they were there in front of the City Hall

to see those legendary heroes Malky Mackay, Iwan Roberts and Darren

Huckerby in the same way we remember some of the great nights from the

European campaign or our time in the Premiership.The fact that

we remember the good times with affection doesn''t excuse some of the

daft and damaging decisions taken by both Chase and Smith- funnily enough, like most

of us, neither are/ were completely good or completely bad so, while

you defend the good bits of Chase''s regime and conveniently forget the

bad, at least have the good grace to recognise that those who try to

add some balance to the poison spouted against the current

administration may actually not be completely stupid.

[quote user="Yelverton Yella"]DEB/ Cluck. The point I was trying to make was that time lends perspective to events- not that the last n years have been wonderful.Yes,

I can see my own children reminiscing fondly in a few year''s time about

the time they went to the Playoff final in Cardiff and what a superb

atmosphere there was or how they were there in front of the City Hall

to see those legendary heroes Malky Mackay, Iwan Roberts and Darren

Huckerby in the same way we remember some of the great nights from the

European campaign or our time in the Premiership.The fact that

we remember the good times with affection doesn''t excuse some of the

daft and damaging decisions taken by both Chase and Smith- funnily enough, like most

of us, neither are/ were completely good or completely bad so, while

you defend the good bits of Chase''s regime and conveniently forget the

bad, at least have the good grace to recognise that those who try to

add some balance to the poison spouted against the current

administration may actually not be completely stupid.
[/quote]Indeed, I see Cluck has reverted to the whole sheep act again. The odd thing is the people who you are calling sheep on this thread are generally anti-delia as well, they just happen to have a bit of perspective.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Yelverton Yella"]DEB/ Cluck. The point I was trying to make was that time lends perspective to events- not that the last n years have been wonderful.

Yes, I can see my own children reminiscing fondly in a few year''s time about the time they went to the Playoff final in Cardiff and what a superb atmosphere there was or how they were there in front of the City Hall to see those legendary heroes Malky Mackay, Iwan Roberts and Darren Huckerby in the same way we remember some of the great nights from the European campaign or our time in the Premiership.

The fact that we remember the good times with affection doesn''t excuse some of the daft and damaging decisions taken by both Chase and Smith- funnily enough, like most of us, neither are/ were completely good or completely bad so, while you defend the good bits of Chase''s regime and conveniently forget the bad, at least have the good grace to recognise that those who try to add some balance to the poison spouted against the current administration may actually not be completely stupid.[/quote]

Indeed, I see Cluck has reverted to the whole sheep act again. The odd thing is the people who you are calling sheep on this thread are generally anti-delia as well, they just happen to have a bit of perspective.
[/quote]

The sheep are those that continue to follow the belief that all things green and yellow must be defended from criticism.... no matter how abysmal things may be.

If some of you had witheld your season ticket money or stayed away from games 2 years ago maybe this disastrous scenario we have now could have been averted. Instead you/they just blindly carried on munching the grass while things went from bad to worse. Smith had you in the bag.

It''s no good saying we are "against Delia" or anything else in that "It wasn''t me guv" vein.... because by doing nothing at all you are all guilty of failing the club in the long term.

Like I say.... sheep will be sheep. They simply follow the way forward led by the one in front.

[quote user="Cluck is God"]

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Yelverton Yella"]DEB/ Cluck. The point I was trying to make was that time lends perspective to events- not that the last n years have been wonderful.Yes, I can see my own children reminiscing fondly in a few year''s time about the time they went to the Playoff final in Cardiff and what a superb atmosphere there was or how they were there in front of the City Hall to see those legendary heroes Malky Mackay, Iwan Roberts and Darren Huckerby in the same way we remember some of the great nights from the European campaign or our time in the Premiership.The fact that we remember the good times with affection doesn''t excuse some of the daft and damaging decisions taken by both Chase and Smith- funnily enough, like most of us, neither are/ were completely good or completely bad so, while you defend the good bits of Chase''s regime and conveniently forget the bad, at least have the good grace to recognise that those who try to add some balance to the poison spouted against the current administration may actually not be completely stupid.[/quote]Indeed, I see Cluck has reverted to the whole sheep act again. The odd thing is the people who you are calling sheep on this thread are generally anti-delia as well, they just happen to have a bit of perspective.[/quote]

The sheep are those that continue to follow the belief that all things green and yellow must be defended from criticism.... no matter how abysmal things may be.

If some of you had witheld your season ticket money or stayed away from games 2 years ago maybe this disastrous scenario we have now could have been averted. Instead you/they just blindly carried on munching the grass while things went from bad to worse. Smith had you in the bag.

It''s no good saying we are "against Delia" or anything else in that "It wasn''t me guv" vein.... because by doing nothing at all you are all guilty of failing the club in the long term.

Like I say.... sheep will be sheep. They simply follow the way forward led by the one in front.

[/quote]May I ask what your doing other than moaning behind a keyboard?And as it happens im not a season ticket holder anymore (Infact other than 5-1 I didnt go to any matches at all as I was out of the country).I criticize Delia, but only when its right too. Im not gonna have a go for the sake of it, if I were to have a go at someone for any reason no matter how irrelevant it would just look petty; and if anything harms the cause more than helps it.

[quote user="Cluck is God"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Cluck is God"]

So now we have the "different times" chant coming to the fore........Just maybe Robert Chase would have acted differently during these so called "different times"?

It''s a classic case of making an argument hinge on a hypothetical. The fact is....Third in the Premiership, Cup Finals and Semis plus European football (with a quality team on the pitch) against Third Division shame and a public joke of a club.

There is no comparison to make.........

[/quote]

Ever feel you are wasting your breath Cluck.

No matter what you can prove re Chase the same old myths and lies rear their heads.

I would gladly swap just the european nights for all the rubbish dished up in the last 10 years under the name of football!

Check my many previous posts, Chase was hounded out with help from certain quarters. That "hype" has not stopped since.

They have lived off what he did and now it''s gone they are struggling

[/quote]

I do feel that but if we just allow ourselves to be shouted down only the myth survives.....

In fairness to the youngsters they are probably only quoting what Smith and her spin machine have been feeding them for years in order to promote the "saviour" legend.... the facts being conveniently ignored in favour of fantasy.

It will all come out in the wash however and Smith will eventually go down as the biggest disaster ever to befall the club..... then they will simply say they never liked her all along put on another face.

It''s what sheep do........

[/quote]

Well said.

What is more than a little dumbfounding is the reference by some posters to ''the good times we have had under Smith''! Which straws are these people clutching at?!

This really is very strange. To glorify our 6th place finish & subsequent defeat at Cardiff is perhaps a little perplexing, and you then have just 1 season from the remaining 12 years which was highly successful. As for the rest - pathetic would sum it up.

Oh, and they seem to ignore the journey from an opening £6m inherited debt to now being in debt to the tune of over £20m - despite premiership & (perhaps the even more precious) post-premiership finance injections of:

1) £12.2m profit on player trading.

2) £14.2m ''parachute'' monies.

3) £1.5m Geoffrey Watling Estate Legacy (subsequent to his death in 11/04).

They forget (or ignore) that the club faced financial ruin prior to Chase becoming Chairman. Given the vast wealth of sellable player talent & land investments held at the club in 1996, there was NO financial crisis from which (according to myth) Smith saved us. There was certainly the requirement to negotiate the banking arrangements & perhaps move some of the overdraft into a loan or similar, but that is as far as it goes. The ''Butler'' can provide more information on this (due to him being privileged with more extensive knowledge of the facts).

Finally, people involved at the time & those now looking back, believe that the desire to oust Chase was a feeling prevelent amongst the vast majority of the fan base - again, NOT the case.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Cluck is God"]

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Yelverton Yella"]DEB/ Cluck. The point I was trying to make was that time lends perspective to events- not that the last n years have been wonderful.

Yes, I can see my own children reminiscing fondly in a few year''s time about the time they went to the Playoff final in Cardiff and what a superb atmosphere there was or how they were there in front of the City Hall to see those legendary heroes Malky Mackay, Iwan Roberts and Darren Huckerby in the same way we remember some of the great nights from the European campaign or our time in the Premiership.

The fact that we remember the good times with affection doesn''t excuse some of the daft and damaging decisions taken by both Chase and Smith- funnily enough, like most of us, neither are/ were completely good or completely bad so, while you defend the good bits of Chase''s regime and conveniently forget the bad, at least have the good grace to recognise that those who try to add some balance to the poison spouted against the current administration may actually not be completely stupid.[/quote]

Indeed, I see Cluck has reverted to the whole sheep act again. The odd thing is the people who you are calling sheep on this thread are generally anti-delia as well, they just happen to have a bit of perspective.
[/quote]

[/quote]

May I ask what your doing other than moaning behind a keyboard?

And as it happens im not a season ticket holder anymore (Infact other than 5-1 I didnt go to any matches at all as I was out of the country).

I criticize Delia, but only when its right too. Im not gonna have a go for the sake of it, if I were to have a go at someone for any reason no matter how irrelevant it would just look petty; and if anything harms the cause more than helps it.
[/quote]

Sorry but you fall perfectly into the said catagory......Do nothing and then ask what someone else "hasn''t done" while claiming the higher moral ground.....

I can''t be arsed to reprise the actions and sacrifices I''ve made to seek justification on here.... I''ve done something...you clearly haven''t.

Well one post your saying I do nothing and blindly hand over my season ticket money, Ive just said ive not had a season ticket for a couple of years now (After 11 years of having one), and now your saying ive still done nothing. Im not the sort of person whos going to go out and lead a protest, im a pretty relaxed guy, far more important things in life etc etc. If that means I blindly follow Queen Delias lead then so be it.Would you mind answering my questions from ages ago on this thread? Ive always been under the impression Chase was the devil, everyone wanted him out, the protests were intense etc etc. Now people want him back, and someone above reckoned most fans didnt want him out in the place. As someone who wasnt around then Id like to know what the truth is? And this is ignoring any thoughts on Delia...

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Well one post your saying I do nothing and blindly hand over my season ticket money, Ive just said ive not had a season ticket for a couple of years now (After 11 years of having one), and now your saying ive still done nothing. Im not the sort of person whos going to go out and lead a protest, im a pretty relaxed guy, far more important things in life etc etc. If that means I blindly follow Queen Delias lead then so be it.

Would you mind answering my questions from ages ago on this thread? Ive always been under the impression Chase was the devil, everyone wanted him out, the protests were intense etc etc. Now people want him back, and someone above reckoned most fans didnt want him out in the place. As someone who wasnt around then Id like to know what the truth is? And this is ignoring any thoughts on Delia...
[/quote]

Only according to the ''silly billies''

Ok thats a start. Thats one person saying that not everyone wanted him out, as ive always been led to believe. Werent the protests supposed to be very angry, bordering on riots? What sort of numbers are we talking about? I assume there was more than the Delia protests? Ive been told of a match on boxing day where it all kicked off big time. Any definitive answers would be great.

[/quote]

The word you omitted here was "unfounded" it should have occured between from and critisim.  It is a key word when dealing with the likes of you.

If wishes were horses I''d be king of the world, or have won the grand national!  If some more people witheld your season ticket money or stayed away from games 2 years ago maybe the club would have gone bust then and not exist now.  It didn''t happen, and we won''t know what would have happened - getting all superior about it won''t wash.

By the way, congrats on not having a season ticket, don''t you live in/near bournemouth, it is a real sacrifice to avoid the 8 hour round trip every two weeks!  Although I''m taking more credit than you, I also have no season ticket and sacrifice a 9 hour round trip every two weeks!

[quote user="7rew"]

[/quote]

The word you omitted here was "unfounded" it should have occured between from and critisim.  It is a key word when dealing with the likes of you.

If wishes were horses I''d be king of the world, or have won the grand national!  If some more people witheld your season ticket money or stayed away from games 2 years ago maybe the club would have gone bust then and not exist now.  It didn''t happen, and we won''t know what would have happened - getting all superior about it won''t wash.

By the way, congrats on not having a season ticket, don''t you live in/near bournemouth, it is a real sacrifice to avoid the 8 hour round trip every two weeks!  Although I''m taking more credit than you, I also have no season ticket and sacrifice a 9 hour round trip every two weeks!

[/quote]

That''s nothing compared with my sacrifice.

[:P]

OTBC

[quote user="Trent Canary"]

Ok thats a start. Thats one person saying that not everyone wanted him out, as ive always been led to believe. Werent the protests supposed to be very angry, bordering on riots? What sort of numbers are we talking about? I assume there was more than the Delia protests? Ive been told of a match on boxing day where it all kicked off big time. Any definitive answers would be great.
[/quote]

My Uncle (serving in the Police at that time) says that their estimate of numbers for the ''demonstration mob'' were 2,000 to 2,500, congregating outside the main stand. Windows would be smashed by an intimidating, angry mob & sometimes casualties would be sustained on both the side of protesters & Police.

It started (of course) with Roy Blower. He used to stand by the River imploring fans to boycott games. He encouraged fans not to enter the ground so as to starve the club of income in a perverted attempt to force the removal of Chase & his board. Gradually he & his loyal associates (such as the despicable Rupert Sheldon) gained support - leading to scenes described above.

Hundreds of fans (loyal to the club & supportive of the board) would bypass the protesting mob & treat them with contempt & disdain.

Chase claimed that his grandchildren had been subjected to terrible abuse at school as a result of the unrest, and that he & his wife had received many death threats. His property had sustained damage & on occasions dog excrement had been pushed through his front door.

You then come to WHY?

Given that whilst he served on the board, we won the League Cup, won promotion to the top tier in his first year as Chairman, finished 3rd, 4th & 5th, reached 2 FA Cup Semi''s, played European football, you can only assume that he was ousted due to his failure to win the Premier League title & one or two Cups during this spell, & our relegation to the 2nd tier. The most common ''reasons'' tended to be - ''he sold all the best players''! & ''he sacked Ken Brown''!

Thanks Delia Out for your view, I certainly wasnt aware that the majority of fans didnt want him gone. Although I was aware of the death threats and severe abuse, something I wouldnt wish upon anyone. Wasnt their something to do with Sutton being sold, and O''Neill not being given money to buy Dean Windass (?) I would ask you or anyone to go into the situation with the land, facilities etc but discussing that kind of thing tends to get several different answers!I guess my main question from this thread is would you say the fans who protested against Chase are the same people who are most vehemently against Smith? Or are the people who protested against Chase now the ''Delia apologists'' as they are known to some people?

The commonest reason I have seen for criticising Chase is that given in Canary Citizens, the history of the club:

"March 14th 1996 will go down as one of the saddest and most

significant days in the club''s history. With the bank clamouring for a

reduction in the club''s debt the Canaries were forced to sell Jon

Newsome to Sheffield Wednesday for £1.2m and Ashley Ward to Derby

County for £1m."

In other words, how ever well the team had done (and it had done well) during his

reign, that is saying his financial policies ended up producing a crisis in which only

a fire sale saved the club from quite possible oblivion.

You really need to take a dip in the English Channel and wash that bile away.

Norwich City were essentially successful between 1986 and 1995 under Robert Chase''s chairmanship. Fact.

Norwich City have become  an underachieving and almost failed club durinng the 12 or so years of Delia Smith. Even a rather fortuitious excursion to the Prem was roundly botched.

Under who was our successful youth system nurtured - and under who was it wrecked??

When Robert Chase left the irresponsibly called-in debt of 6m was more than adequately covered by fairly liquid player asset value. How much of our 22m debt is now covered by player assets?

Norwich City have always sold players to balance the books. That''s our modus operandi.

If Delia Smith were a man she''d be out on her ear now just like Robert Chase.

But the world ain''t level - and puss and dog don''t have the same luck.

There is a need for a mechanism to allow City fans to channel their passions constructively - rather than allowing them to divide us.

One love.

OTBC 

I well remember that day and the utter shock that everybody felt- particularly as nobody had any inkling that there was a major financial problem.As I mentioned earlier, the other story at the time, was that that the first Megson who, as I remember, was the Manager , (having replaced MO''N who had walked after the failure to find funds for Windass) knew of the sales, was when Chase turned up at the training ground and took the two away to do the deal.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]The commonest reason I have seen for criticising Chase is that given in Canary Citizens, the history of the club:

"March 14th 1996 will go down as one of the saddest and most significant days in the club''s history. With the bank clamouring for a reduction in the club''s debt the Canaries were forced to sell Jon Newsome to Sheffield Wednesday for £1.2m and Ashley Ward to Derby County for £1m."

In other words, how ever well the team had done (and it had done well) during his reign, that is saying his financial policies ended up producing a crisis in which only a fire sale saved the club from quite possible oblivion [/quote]

The debt at that time was 6m and more than adequateiy covered by the value of existing player assets.

The debt today is 22m and rising. What proportion of that is covered by current player asset value?

But then, I guess, sadness must be relative - and significance? Well............

Oblivion? Selling players to balance the books has been the club''s modus operandi for generations.

OTBC

[quote user="Trent Canary"]Thanks Delia Out for your view, I certainly wasnt aware that the majority of fans didnt want him gone. Although I was aware of the death threats and severe abuse, something I wouldnt wish upon anyone. Wasnt their something to do with Sutton being sold, and O''Neill not being given money to buy Dean Windass (?) I would ask you or anyone to go into the situation with the land, facilities etc but discussing that kind of thing tends to get several different answers!

I guess my main question from this thread is would you say the fans who protested against Chase are the same people who are most vehemently against Smith? Or are the people who protested against Chase now the ''Delia apologists'' as they are known to some people?
[/quote]

I am proud to say that I was devastated at the departure of Chase, & that I long for the day that we rid ourselves of Smith.

O''Neill came in during the summer of 95 at considerable expense to the club - our highest paid ever manager. They also agreed to pay certain moving costs & the private school fees of his children. He inherited a very good squad of players (by Championship standards), and Chase then backed him when adding two further players - Fleck (back from Chelsea) for £650,000 (9/95) & in the previous month, the awful Matthew Rush for £400,000. At the same time, O''Neill informed the board that he wanted to sign Dean Windass, & that he had been quoted £1.3m by Hull City. Chase informed him that this was far too much & that they could not support him on a deal at that price. He was told to negotiate the price down to a much more realistic level. That is when the toys started flying out of O''Neills pram. In December 95, Windass signed for Aberdeen for £700,000. In the same month, O''Neill ran away.

Sutton was sold for a British record transfer fee & went to a club that had agreed to pay him more than what a certain Alan Shearer was earning. Chase did everything he could to keep him, but it was impossible. Jack Walker was the Abramovic of today.