Sign in to follow this  
Penfold

The confederations cup.

Is anybody else struggling to watch this? Those vuvuzela air horns are making it absolutely unbearable, it''s a horrendous noise. It sounds like the stadiums have been invaded by some giant African bees! I think the viewing figures for next years World Cup might well be less than anticipated if it''s anything like this.

[quote user="Penfold"]Is anybody else struggling to watch this? Those vuvuzela air horns are making it absolutely unbearable, it''s a horrendous noise. It sounds like the stadiums have been invaded by some giant African bees! I think the viewing figures for next years World Cup might well be less than anticipated if it''s anything like this. [/quote]Turn the sound down ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Penfold"]Is anybody else struggling to watch this? Those vuvuzela air horns are making it absolutely unbearable, it''s a horrendous noise. It sounds like the stadiums have been invaded by some giant African bees! I think the viewing figures for next years World Cup might well be less than anticipated if it''s anything like this. [/quote]Turn the sound down ?[/quote]Tried that, but don''t like that either. It''s strange watching football with no crowd noise.

[quote user="Penfold"][quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Penfold"]Is anybody else struggling to watch this? Those vuvuzela air horns are making it absolutely unbearable, it''s a horrendous noise. It sounds like the stadiums have been invaded by some giant African bees! I think the viewing figures for next years World Cup might well be less than anticipated if it''s anything like this.
[/quote]

Turn the sound down ?
[/quote]

Tried that, but don''t like that either. It''s strange watching football with no crowd noise.
[/quote]

Just like the south stand!!

Egypt just scored two in three minutes against Brazil to equalise! 3-3! Egypt are no pushovers, and Brazil are no world beaters.

Here''s a tip. If it''s the 15th June and it''s not a World Cup or European Championship year then any football being played will be pretty worthless. Have a little break and stick the cricket on [:D]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

Here''s a tip. If it''s the 15th June and it''s not a World Cup or European Championship year then any football being played will be pretty worthless. Have a little break and stick the cricket on [:D]

[/quote]Hear hear.

4-3 Brazil FT. 90th minute Kaka pen. England could take this lot, Brazil are not a team to fear. Egypt should have taken something out of this game.

[quote user="Penfold"]4-3 Brazil FT. 90th minute Kaka pen. England could take this lot, Brazil are not a team to fear. Egypt should have taken something out of this game.[/quote]Had to go answer the door towards the end of the game. When i got back, there i saw on the telly Kaka lining up the ball to take the penalty. Thought it was destiny that the Egypt keeper would save it (and he came close), and was totally gutted to see it go in.Such a shame, Egypt without doubt deserved something out of that game. Watching the second half, there didn''t seem to be any massive difference in quality, and if anything, Egypt had the edge on Brazil for playing some great football as a team, keeping the pressure, getting the better of the two on possession, and making some great chances, of which for a few they were good enough to convert.We could easily take on Brazil, their not anything special at the moment, despite the mountains of talent they have at their disposal. It''s not like them, but there are massive gaps in their play, and could only dream of having the fluency and touch of brilliance Spain have at the moment.In saying that, despite us probably being level, or ''better'', in quality, when compared to the likes of Brazil, Germany, Holland, France and Portugal, Spain are most definately a million miles ahead of us in terms of cohesion, fluency, and conviction, and in that, a much better footballing team.Unless Argentina are currently setting the world alight in South America (haven''t followed them much, but in saying that i think i remember them getting beat 6-1 by someone like Chile ''fairly'' recently?) Spain are well and truly the best national team in the world at the moment by a considerable distance.However, for what it''s worth i do honestly think that at our best, we are the second best national side in the world. If we''re gonna have a chance of winning the World Cup next year though we''re gonna have to ''Murray''. We''ll have to cross our fingers and hope the best players in the world either get sick, or go under a lot of emotional stress after winning the confederations cup, and let us win by what would practically be ''default''.

I''m looking forward to Italy playing tonight, after seeing Spain ran the rule last night.

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]In the grand scheme of things this tournament and its eventual winners are not that important but that does not diminish the quality of football on show, the Brazil v Egypt game was brilliant. As a fan of football in general i took great pleasure from watching it, as somebody else said Egypt are no mugs. Just goes to prove the rest of the world is slowly catching up with the established elite. Are we that far off an African team lifting the world cup?

An African team?  No closer to that happening than a CONCACAF or Asian team winning it.  USA, Mexico, Korea, Aussie are all seemingly much closer than any individual African team.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]An African team?  No closer to that happening than a CONCACAF or Asian team winning it.  USA, Mexico, Korea, Aussie are all seemingly much closer than any individual African team.[/quote]

Ivory Coast and Nigeria are better teams than South Korea and the USA

My Mrs keeps asking why there always seems to be a swarm of Bees in the background!

They better not have those horns the the real event next year, I won''t be able to watch!

I was settling in to watch Italy last night and lasted all of 20 minutes. The horns really wound me up. I''m glad to see this thread as I literally thought I might be losing it!

[quote user="Penfold"]Is anybody else struggling to watch this? Those vuvuzela air horns are making it absolutely unbearable, it''s a horrendous noise. It sounds like the stadiums have been invaded by some giant African bees! I think the viewing figures for next years World Cup might well be less than anticipated if it''s anything like this.
[/quote]

Confedirations Cup = Cack Anyway but ..... I do agree them noises are extremely frustrating i found it easier to watch the football on the television with the sound of Bizzle Bizzle over the top

I have no checked my world rankings lately, but it does seem teams like Nigeria are up and down from year to year while the ones I mentioned are maintaining a consistent level of high quality.  That sort of inconsistency makes generating a standard of play high enough and long enough to win a tournament that much more difficult.  The US is a couple of games away (with this round not even half over) from making our 6th or 7th consecutive World Cup.  No African team can say that.

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I have no checked my world rankings lately, but it does seem teams like Nigeria are up and down from year to year while the ones I mentioned are maintaining a consistent level of high quality.  That sort of inconsistency makes generating a standard of play high enough and long enough to win a tournament that much more difficult.  The US is a couple of games away (with this round not even half over) from making our 6th or 7th consecutive World Cup.  No African team can say that.[/quote]The US are currently ranked 14th in the world, but your position and ease of qualification is aided by CONCACAF being a particularly weak confederation. The CAF is stronger so member countries face greater competition in getting to tournaments and perhaps appear a little inconsistent. I still can''t stand those damn horns. Ban the vuvuzela now!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]I have no checked my world rankings lately, but it does seem teams like Nigeria are up and down from year to year while the ones I mentioned are maintaining a consistent level of high quality.  That sort of inconsistency makes generating a standard of play high enough and long enough to win a tournament that much more difficult.  The US is a couple of games away (with this round not even half over) from making our 6th or 7th consecutive World Cup.  No African team can say that.[/quote]

Fifa rankings are flawed to be honest, the US ranks highly because it plays most of its games against joke teams from the region. Not their fault, its all about how the grouping is done but there are many teams below the USA in the ranking who I rate higher. The fact African teams that qualify fluctuates so much is due to a higher level of competition. Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Senegal, Morroco, Egypt and Cameroon have all had some fantastic teams in recent years. Also America is not robbed of its best players by former colonial masters. Look at the talents that have played for France over the years. Dessilly, Zidane etc.

Confederations Cup is a waste of time, I can''t believe players like Torres etc are being forced to play a meaningless tournament after such a long season. What players like Torres Villa and Fabregas are ever going to get out of playing a New Zealand team (containing someone leading the line who couldn''t even get in to the Norwich team- in Killen) is beyond me.

The only possible benefit is that it gives the South Africans a chance to have a practice run in holding the tournament before next year but even then this is on such a smaller scale it hardly seems worth it.

Spain v Iraq on now, still 0-0. Spain aren''t looking too clever despite having all their big boys on the pitch.

No doubt if Spain fail to impress you''ll be telling us that England can ''take them'' as well. Don''t do it to yourself. Repeat after me, ''We will get knocked out of the World Cup by the first decent team we play''. Now sit down and wait for The Ashes to start, there''s a good chap [;)]

[quote user="Shack Attack"]No doubt if Spain fail to impress you''ll be telling us that England can ''take them'' as well. Don''t do it to yourself. Repeat after me, ''We will get knocked out of the World Cup by the first decent team we play''. Now sit down and wait for The Ashes to start, there''s a good chap [;)][/quote]If Spain put in the same performance against us that they''re putting in against Iraq might well have a chance. But as you point out the only thing we can guarantee in life is that the England national team will always mess it up - and that goes for cricket too.Ban the vuvuzela!!!!Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr   Buuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrummmmmmmmmm   Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  BuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrSTFU STFU STFU STFU STFU STFU STFU STFU. Arrrraghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.