Sign in to follow this  
Minster Canary

New Executive is...

Norwich City today named former Fulham managing director David McNally as the club''s new chief executive.

Mr McNally was introduced by the City board at a morning Press conference at Carrow Road and will start his new role on Monday, June 22.

The Canaries also confirmed they were close to announcing new directors following the resignation from the board of ex-chairman Roger Munby and former chief executive Neil Doncaster.

Mr McNally''s appointment comes exactly a month after Mr Doncaster and Mr Munby stepped down, on May 12.

The 47-year-old left Fulham in June 2008 after more than four years with the club, during which he was credited with helping to significantly increase the Cottagers'' income, preserve their Premiership status and appoint current boss Roy Hodgson, who saved them from relegation against the odds in 2008 and guided them to European qualification in 2009.

With the Canaries facing up to life in the third tier of English football after relegation from the Championship, Mr McNally said it was the strength and passion of the club''s fan base and board members that persuaded him to join Norwich - and insisted promotion from League One, not consolidation, had to be the club''s objective.

He said: “It was the size of the club and knowing what a fantastic fan base it has, with so many loyal supporters, which were the main factors in me wanting to take up this challenge. The club has so much potential and so many strengths and I''m excited about working to help capitalise on that in the months and years ahead.

“It was also the passion of the owners and directors in the shape of Delia Smith, Michael Wynn Jones and Michael Foulger which attracted me. It''s so important to have people at board level who share passion for the football club and the directors here definitely have it.

“Clearly promotion from League One is essential - everyone in the football club needs to be focused on getting us back to the Championship.

“Consolidation for a season is not something I would be interested in and I sense I''m not alone in that. Of course, no team has a divine right to promotion from any division but the fact remains that the size of the club and its support demands a positive attitude and a commitment to promotion as the objective. It''s about sheer hard work from everyone at the club. That is what will give us the best chance of achieving the objective we all share.”

Prior to his stint with Fulham, Mr McNally was sales and marketing director with Celtic for four years where he worked alongside former Norwich player and manager Martin O''Neill and helped the club approximately double its off-the-field income.

Before his move to Celtic, he held senior roles at blue chip companies including Sara Lee, L''Oreal and Courtaulds. This year he has been working as a business consultant. He is married, with a 22-year-old son and a 19-year-old daughter.

Joint majority shareholders Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones said in a statement: “We are delighted to have secured the services of someone of David''s calibre. His track record speaks for itself and his experience, drive and ambition are just what is needed to galvanise the club in these challenging times.

“We have interviewed several people interested in the role and received applications from many more, but David comes with the very highest of recommendations within the game and he stood head and shoulders above the others we spoke to.

“We are very excited about working with David and new board directors who we will be announcing in the near future to start a new era for this great club.”

Unlike Mr Doncaster, the new chief executive will not be a director at the club.

im fairly surprised to be honest , just read  about him .

something to smile about .

the board may have got it right this time ... fingers crossed .

This would surely be a very good thing right? Are you sure it''s him (I have no access to the info directly)? He''d be a really good addition for sure. Some serious contacts and at one stage recently lined up for the Arsenal gig!

Sounds a promising appointment, he has done well at Fulham and Celtic and was in some big companies.

This does sound like a very good appointment.  Not on the board though - I wonder what the significance of this is...  Can he be vetoed ?

Am so chuffed by this [:D].

Anyone who slates him (no doubt someone will on this MB) should be hunted down, hung up by their gonads and fed to goats.

Fantastic appointment. This guy doesn''t stand for any nonsense!I''m stunned that we''ve got him.Almost speechless in fact!

I would imagine that he will in due course or he will get Nike in[:D]

Surely the board won''t cock this up and surely he would not tolerate crap of them.

But well done board, very good appointment.

[quote user="blahblahblah"]This does sound like a very good appointment.  Not on the board though - I wonder what the significance of this is...  Can he be vetoed ?[/quote]I doubt that is significant. He was on the board at Fulham, so I suspect he will - like Doncaster - be made a director sooner or later. And probably sooner.The other point about that statement is the part about new directors to be announced soon.

“Consolidation for a season is not something I would be interested in and I sense I''m not alone in that. Of course, no team has a divine right to promotion from any division but the fact remains that the size of the club and its support demands a positive attitude and a commitment to promotion as the objective. It''s about sheer hard work from everyone at the club. That is what will give us the best chance of achieving the objective we all share.”

Stating the obvious here of course but it''s the first time we''ve heard such aggressive rhetoric and I''m pleased. The key point is that the Chief Exec has a lot of responsibilities, not least the frontal attitude of the club as regards financing, spending and approaching staff. A dynamic personality is key here. I hope he gets on well. The other point is that whilst our incumbent directorship seems likely to remain for the near future we require someone in the role who can squeeze the best out of our resources. Something he''s able to do.

Now I''m bracing myself for some ill informed, knee jerk, agenda led negative comments by those who see this as a forum for direct oppositio to everything that happens at NCFC.

Good luck to the guy, he clearly sees some potential for something good to happen here.

"Consolidation for a season is not something I would be interested in and I sense I''m not alone in that."

I know its easy to come up with quotes but how refershingly different is this to anything Delia/MWJ and Gunn have come out with. Hopefully this attitude is genuine and will spread through the club.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

"Consolidation for a season is not something I would be interested in and I sense I''m not alone in that."

I know its easy to come up with quotes but how refershingly different is this to anything Delia/MWJ and Gunn have come out with. Hopefully this attitude is genuine and will spread through the club.

[/quote]

Totally agree, and I have to say it''s nice to hear positive things are happening at the club, and yes I know there''s an awful long way to go, but it''s started off well so far.

i was honestly bracing myself for a no-mark, local legal beagle or even an in club promotion. This is good.

[quote user="KCanary"]

Am so chuffed by this [:D].

Anyone who slates him (no doubt someone will on this MB) should be hunted down, hung up by their gonads and fed to goats.

[/quote]

At the vert least....excellent appointment....things have got to be looking up........now come on give us some more decent signings !!!!!!!

Rich

We are very excited about working with David and new Board Directors

who we will be announcing in the near future to start a new era for

this great club."I like the sound of this comment from Delia and MWJ

Makes you wonder why they didn''t wait until appointing the chief exec to confirm management.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Wow![Y][/quote]

lol Wiz it''s all coming true so far [Y]

[/quote]

Lol, that it is mate.[Y]

I suppose I''m being a bit ignorant here but can someone tell me why everyone is so happy with the appointment? What significant things has he achieved in the past. If I''m being honest I''ve never heard of him lol!

[quote user="First Wizard"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[quote user="First Wizard"]Wow![Y][/quote]

lol Wiz it''s all coming true so far [Y]

[/quote]

Lol, that it is mate.[Y]

[/quote]

My old mum bless her heart used to say ''''good things come to those who wait'''' and I believe us NCFC fans have waited long enough, even for a glimpse of a brighter future than what we''ve had to endure for years.

Let''s hope and pray that times are better for us long suffering fans.