Sign in to follow this  
singing canary

david mcnally... why norwich??

this is my thought t but are we as skint as we are letting on ?

delia has always said she would never let on how much money we have and lets face it i am surprised we are not in big trouble now considering relegation is set to cost us over 7 million pound .

if we were skint in the championship how could this club possible take another 7 million pound hit, it makes the plea for  "please dont have your rebate back " look like small change .

then bring in a high profile person who would be on a fair salary to say the least .

im fairly confident the is more to this than meets the eye the situation does not add up .

im pleased he is on board though makes a good change .

[quote user="Dave"][quote user="Metatron"]"Oh I do love a good conspiracy" So much so that you like to start the theories whenever possible![/quote]

Show me when he has started a good conspiracy.

Just utter carp ones :)
[/quote]

Mmmm.... I like a bit of fishing myself......

[quote user="Dave"][quote user="Metatron"]"Oh I do love a good conspiracy"

So much so that you like to start the theories whenever possible![/quote]Show me when he has started a good conspiracy.Just utter carp ones :)[/quote]

You pinched my avatar pic!

I think the fact we are in the midst of a recession helped us. Job market not exactly competitive at the moment; and quite a few out-of-work CEOs looking for jobs too.

I''m sure it''s safe to say it''s not exactly his dream job, but needs must. Good appointment.

Well I really hope this appointment is the new beginning. I like the idea that his cv includes his sales and marketing skills. His contacts should be valuable. I am somewhat surprised to learn that his press conference performance was not very impressive. His quotes seemed pretty good.

Only obvious negative is that he has been appointed by people who have an absolute disastrous record on selecting key employees.

[quote user="The Voice Of Reason"]

[quote user="ron obvious"]

Perhaps he''s on a huge bonus, a large percentage of any increase in turnover/profit?
Other clubs mentioned are probably at or near the top of their earning potential, so wouldn''t be able to offer this. it''s possible he has enough self-belief to take on the challenge if the rewards are there.

Although I suspect he may know something we don''t .........
[/quote]

What I got from the news was his thought process;

• We have alot of supporters, big fan base geographically, we''ll call them customers / potential customers,

• I could increase the amount of business the club does with these customers by encouraging them to buy into the brand for many other different products I could supply,

• The best way to get customers to buy into the brand and give me their money is to win football games.

Thats what I got from the news reports. I''m happy if we are winning, or at least in a departure from the recent past, trying hard to win.

[/quote]

I totally agree with the pints above and its very encouraging.

But the........"whys" I feel are pretty simple.

(1) He was out of work and looking for a "good oppotunity" and a challenge.

(2) A good oppotunity is often a situation where a club is at a historical low point. (check box!)

(3) I am sure he feels that with the fan base and resouces, we do actually have a lot of upside relative to our position (LG1)

Overall he probably feels, given everything, he has a good chance of succeeding at his job. (which I genuinely hope he does)

We obviously need more quality at boardroom and executive level, this looks like a good start.

I admire the optimism but I really feel that judgment should be reserved until DM proves himself. We have had people in the past who said the right things and sounded good. Success in the job will ultimately be determined by what happens on the field and whether the downward trends of the last few years can be reversed. I sincerely hope that he turns out to be a fantastic appointment.

[quote user="Webbo118"]I admire the optimism but I really feel that judgment should be reserved until DM proves himself. We have had people in the past who said the right things and sounded good. Success in the job will ultimately be determined by what happens on the field and whether the downward trends of the last few years can be reversed. I sincerely hope that he turns out to be a fantastic appointment.[/quote]

Agree totally.

I think anybody dealing in 100% absolutes is foolish.

Just like players you never know who will work out and who won''t.

I think everybody should be given a fair shout before we can pass judgement on their ability.

I do feel that there is some optimism that he adds a qulaity/experienced voice to the upper mangement.

An area that even Delia/MWJ agrees that we really need a LOT of help.

I also like the fact he isn''t on the board for various operating reasons plus it vacates more board positions which hopefully will bring better direction to the club.

[quote user="singing canary"]

i have been thinking about this appointment

i dont understand of why someone with such a high profile job in the premiership has decided to leave that position to join a team 2 leauges lower.

not only this i have read somewhere arsenal were also interested in securing his services .

surely a club like norwich could not afford to match the wages of either premiership club so what is this man gaining comming to us rather than staying where he was or going to arsenal .

i also read delia said he may join the board but we may talk about that later .

i just wonder what deal was offered for him to be so keen on joinning a club that is in such a muddle other than the guy loves a challenge .

[/quote]Having read the reports on him I see that he left Fulham in June 2008. I am assuming his "move" to Arsenal fell through. The point is not why he wanted to come or how we got him, I think we should all be happy the post has been filled and by someone that looks to be quite competent. In fact the newspapers at the time he left Fulham were painting the picture as "Fulham lose managing director David McNally" so clearly he left under his own steam. The problem is with the message board is that a lot of people are too cynical about everything the club does. It seems to me that about 99% of the people on the message board think they could run the club better even though they themselves wouldn''t have the first clue or education to manage it themselves. :)

[quote user="Loan City Fc "]Why Norwich ? wages i should think , although some on here will try to spin he bleeds yellow and green .[/quote]

Well, I''m still waiting for someone to try that one. Have you seen any suggestion of it? No, I thought not.

IMO The board had ''X'' amount of cash,  anyone''s guess but for the sake of making a point say £200k-£300k set aside separate from the team pot. The board (the three stooges) had to make a big decision, A) Spend it head hunting a decent CE and keep Gunn as ManagerorB) Spend it on a Manager and get an inexperienced CE

[quote user="The Fuehrer with a Pound Shop Keyboard"]IMO The board had ''X'' amount of cash,  anyone''s guess but for the sake of making a point say £200k-£300k set aside separate from the team pot.

The board (the three stooges) had to make a big decision,

A) Spend it head hunting a decent CE and keep Gunn as Manager
or
B) Spend it on a Manager and get an inexperienced CE
[/quote]

According to Delia/MWJ, with their interview on CanariesWorld, they began looking for a new CE as soon as we had lost to Charlton.

Which probably means they had been unhappy with Doncasters performance for some time.

[quote user="Jason Mitchell"] It seems to me that about 99% of the people on the message board think they could run the club better even though they themselves wouldn''t have the first clue or education to manage it themselves. :)[/quote]Are you aware that Delia left school with no formal qualifications whatsoever? She doesn''t even have any type of catering qualification other than ''honorary'' qualifications, nothing she''s had to go and study and pass exams for which probably makes most of the posters on here better ''educated'' than her. So if it is simply down to ''education'' you might have found the answer. [:D]

[quote user="USAcanary"]

[quote user="Webbo118"]I admire the optimism but I really feel that judgment should be reserved until DM proves himself. We have had people in the past who said the right things and sounded good. Success in the job will ultimately be determined by what happens on the field and whether the downward trends of the last few years can be reversed. I sincerely hope that he turns out to be a fantastic appointment.[/quote]

Agree totally.

I think everybody should be given a fair shout before we can pass judgement on their ability.

[/quote]

So do I.

[quote user="canary cherub "][quote user="USAcanary"]

Agree totally.

[/quote]

So do I.

[/quote]

''Leopards don''t change their spots''

Obviously that is not 100% as sometimes people do change, but as a general comment we can look at history and have a pretty good guess at how individuals are going to behave in given circumstances.

Thats why we look at a players record stats etc.

I personally think that McNally is a good appointment, although it does raise those other questions which time will no doubt answer.

quite simple guys, he has 2 morgages to pay. 1 in bromsgrove and the other in london.

He "left" Fulham, this came as a suprise to him. hint hint and wasnt able to take another job for 18 months I believe. The Arsenal thing fell through when the found out about his past, arrested for fighting. And he tells people too much i.e. chris coleman just sts in his office drinking whisky after the game by himself.

He''s got a few friends in the game and i''m sure he''ll get some decent players on loan for Norwich.

As for him been rich, ha ha not quite don''t expect a takeover. But I''m sure he''ll do a good job.

Couple of points

Delia married a chap who was a BBC producer - right face/right time ETC

McNally will have been around to know what''s going on. Take a look at how certain players, managers etc are heading for the hiils. Looking for somewhere a bit safe.

Despite the endless shite posted on here City are a fairly safe bet. A fair number of ''mushroom'' clubs are not. Meteoric rises based on speculation and borrowing can only last so long.

He would have checked the club out, gained assurances etc. I doubt he would have got Lambert to jump ship if he didn''t think it would be the right thing in the long term.

Some may feel a little more reassured by this, others will know it merely confirms what many know about the club - and what they know about others on here claiming to be City fans yet finding any excuse to have a go at the club.

To the latter why don''t you swim back to the sinking ship you left down the A140 ?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Way out theory but he knows Mohammed Al Fayed, who also has access to other countless rich men and women.. he isn''t on the board but is he a front for a possible takke over?

jas :)

[/quote]Wiz, what have your reliable sources said on this one?

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Way out theory but he knows Mohammed Al Fayed, who also has access to other countless rich men and women.. he isn''t on the board but is he a front for a possible takke over?

jas :)

[/quote]

Wiz, what have your reliable sources said on this one?

[/quote]

On McNally Mr C?

Absolutely nothing! I''m damn chuffed he''s here, butit does begger the question as to just why City could attract such a highly regarded chap.

It can''t just be Delia''s cooking![;)]

New challenge maybe? Norwich are a big fish in a small pond right now... Maybe he genuinely sees a good club making bad decisions and believes he can fix it, thus boost his reputation, I should imagine his role here gives him far more freedom than the one Arsenal may have offered too.

Mcnally was out of work when he came here.He was previously employed by Fulham and arsenal where interested in him never actually offerd him the job.. Maybe just a rumour the local media picked up on????